Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump felt he'd look silly in a mask and it would be used by the press and his opponents in political ads, but that's now the least of his problems because now there is a picture of a completely dark White House which is an awful look in a time in America where they need leadership and the place that is supposed to symbolise that leadership is in darkness. I mean it's mana from heaven and you can guarantee the Lincoln project will have that in its next ad.

That visual of the lights going out should be on every Lincoln, Super PAC, Biden and democrat ads in the lead up to November.

Lincoln Project's new one is great timing. While Trump flails to tie democrats to Antifa, they nail Trump to this even without ever having to call those that carry it racist

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1267278651583848448?s=20

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For all the talk of outside agitators on the protesters side, few elected officials or the media want to discuss how a very small number of officers actually live in the neighborhoods they police.

In much of California, they quite simply can't afford to. San Jose Police HQ has a designated camping site for their officers to park their RVs to live in. Their starting salary is almost $90,000/year.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/08/25/cops-living-in-rvs-outside-san-jose-police-department/

There's also a good argument that police are needed in less safe neighborhoods, and if they can afford a place to live which is safer, they will feel disinclined to raise their family where they're working.

I find myself in agreement with Moon2. Part of me is wondering what the hell Trump is doing by not saying anything, and part of me is thinking that he's being strongly advised to shut the hell up right now and not make matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Part of me is wondering what the hell Trump is doing by not saying anything, and part of me is thinking that he's being strongly advised to shut the hell up right now and not make matters worse.

Which is the proof (if it were needed) that Trump is unfit to be president.

Because you just know that that is all that he is capable of. He only knows how to be divisive, that's his only skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It's interesting yet not at all surprising to see Trump go into hiding. He has nothing to constructively add to what is happening by way of leadership or intellect. If he ad libs, with his usual limited vocabulary and myopic view of events it will be a train wreck. this issue is simply too complex and nuanced for him.

Eventually teleprompter Trump will emerge and read off a speech someone has written for him that won't appear credible, as it will mention unity and working together to overcome differences, traits that Trump does not believe in.

The US is crumbling and utterly rudderless, the worst that people feared has been exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's interesting yet not at all surprising to see Trump go into hiding. He has nothing to constructively add to what is happening by way of leadership or intellect. If he ad libs, with his usual limited vocabulary and myopic view of events it will be a train wreck. this issue is simply too complex and nuanced for him.

Eventually teleprompter Trump will emerge and read off a speech someone has written for him that won't appear credible, as it will mention unity and working together to overcome differences, traits that Trump does not believe in.

The US is crumbling and utterly rudderless, the worst that people feared has been exceeded.

Yep and after the teleprompter speech he'll throw up a few tweets that show how he really feels.

Why is he tweeting this?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1267430825659899907

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I saw a report that stacks of bricks were showing up before protests. Someone is doing their best to turn it violent.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/report-piles-of-bricks-are-being-staged-in-cities-around-the-country-indicating-riots-are-planned/

In much of California, they quite simply can't afford to. San Jose Police HQ has a designated camping site for their officers to park their RVs to live in. Their starting salary is almost $90,000/year.
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/08/25/cops-living-in-rvs-outside-san-jose-police-department/

There's also a good argument that police are needed in less safe neighborhoods, and if they can afford a place to live which is safer, they will feel disinclined to raise their family where they're working.

I find myself in agreement with Moon2. Part of me is wondering what the hell Trump is doing by not saying anything, and part of me is thinking that he's being strongly advised to shut the hell up right now and not make matters worse.

There is no issue with cops not living in wealthy areas, because we aren't seeing them regularly harass and kill people in those communities.

Your point on the less safe areas is true and one of the key problems. Many cops that have no connection to the community and wouldn't want their families near them just don't see those that live there as equals, instead something less than them. Mix that with the low bar to entry for the job, barely any training, and the ridiculous militarisation and we end up with what we're seeing over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CBS reporting that they have audio from Trump's call with some governors regarding the riots

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1267478663949357057?s=20

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1267478880820121603?s=20

If true, and that audio gets out.... I dread to think what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Penn wrote: »
    CBS reporting that they have audio from Trump's call with some governors regarding the riots

Idiot thinks he is still in the boardroom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

At the very least a rant about Dem Governors breaking confidences, he surely wont accuse a GOP governor of doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That article puts the heavy focus on mandatory overtime being the reason why some cops are using RV's during the week and then travelling home at the weekend.
    Mandatory overtime forces them to work up to 17-hour days. Combine those long hours with horrendous traffic, and commutes from as far away as Manteca, Stockton, Tracy and even Reno, these officers are staying in an RV during the week and then driving home on their days off.

Even the Measure F that they talk about to help alleviate the problem is for pensions rather than base salary I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Looters and violent extremists might get jail, while peaceful protestors are free to demonstrate without being tarnished by the actions of terrorist groups

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There is no issue with cops not living in wealthy areas, because we aren't seeing them regularly harass and kill people in those communities.

Your point on the less safe areas is true and one of the key problems. Many cops that have no connection to the community and wouldn't want their families near them just don't see those that live there as equals, instead something less than them. Mix that with the low bar to entry for the job, barely any training, and the ridiculous militarisation and we end up with what we're seeing over and over again.

I was watching CBSN Los Angeles last night and there was a great interview done with the LA County Sheriff Villanueva and he was asked what's being done to stop these incidents happening and among measures including constant training and development LA County are not recruiting police officers/sheriffs from outside of the County so that the County policed by the people from the area. There's a lot to be said for that as a proactive measure on the face of it.

I was watching CBSN Los Angeles last night and there was a great interview done with the LA County Sheriff Villanueva and he was asked what's being done to stop these incidents happening and among measures including constant training and development LA County are not recruiting police officers/sheriffs from outside of the County so that the County policed by the people from the area. There's a lot to be said for that as a proactive measure on the face of it.

That is great to hear. LA obviously learning from their long history of issues.

Saw last night it repeated over and over again that 1 in 7 of the arrests in NYC were from people from outside the area, when 40% of the NYPD dont live there.

I'm sure when it gets to the south and smaller cities the numbers are even worse.

I didn't make this connection when it came out about Trump hid in the bunker.

It should have been obvious at the time of the tweet, that when Trump randomly highlights an unnecessary part of the story that makes him seem strong or taking leadership that it is more often than not a lie

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1267482921511931905?s=20

That is great to hear. LA obviously learning from their long history of issues.

Saw last night it repeated over and over again that 1 in 7 of the arrests in NYC were from people from outside the area, when 40% of the NYPD dont live there.

I'm sure when it gets to the south and smaller cities the numbers are even worse.

Yeah.

The coverage of the looting in Long Beach and Santa Monica showed the local PDs holding their ground and encouraging people to get out of the areas before they moved in to arrest.

Sure, every criminal should be arrested, but they were right to tackle the more brazen ones who continued to loot and damage with the cops right there.

Seems they are prioritising the worst aggressors where possible.

Looters and violent extremists might get jail, while peaceful protestors are free to demonstrate without being tarnished by the actions of terrorist groups
    People have been shot at on their doorsteps... The behaviour of police atm is disgraceful atm and Trump is egging it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

People have been shot at on their doorsteps... The behaviour of police atm is disgraceful atm and Trump is egging it on.

The police actively arresting the members of the press as well as shooting them with pepper balls etc, and Trump retweeting this tweet.
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266799941273350145
    are totally and wholly coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I wonder if Donald welcomes/encourages the move away from Covid19 being the dominant force driving the news cycle to the current protests. I'm not saying its a good look for him but he might think its more familiar comfortable ground for him. Finally back to a conflict he can blame on weak Dem leadership etc. Might explain why he is more willing to fan the flames rather than show leadership to bring the country together (which he obviously has an inability to do anyway but he could at least try).

I think that there is a lot of that in it. Trump plays stupid, but he is politically shrewd. You can't quell covid19 by force as it is an invisible enemy. But now he can show how he is tough on crime and disorder, while saying the state/local authorities are weak and need to get tough.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that is just politically shrewd in his own head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

looksee wrote: »
    I think that is just politically shrewd in his own head.

You would think that for many other countries. But it is America and Trump knows how to play to his audience. It got him the top job why change now?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You would think that for many other countries. But it is America and Trump knows how to play to his audience. It got him the top job why change now?

Because the nature of his role has chamged. it's one thing to announce "only I can solve these problems", which he did and latched onto the pulse of the Rust Belt, but he has shown no savvy to deliver on those big promises. An actual schemer or strategist would have bedded down to at least have one of the big signature promises finished. No wall, no repealed healthcare, no Clintons in jail. His inherited economy is in the toilet thanks to CoVid.

He remains the hurler on the ditch, despite now sitting at the top job. His response to actual existential tests of his presidency have been feeble at best like Corona. While storming out of WHO has shown no actual plan beyond petulance.

Yes, this is America where the political landscape is generally eccentric, but Trump has shown himself to be a spoofer with no substance once commander in chief

The White House is holding a press briefing.

Looking forward to Katie stating that DJT didn't say what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Have you listened to the audio of the call with the Governers?

This man is supposed to be a teetotaler - he was clearly drunk or heavily medicated, and also scared and lashing out at the same time.

Russia reported (not the USA) a phone call between Trump and Putin today.
    Taking his orders from the boss.

It's sickening, but maybe George Floyd will be the catalyst that means we don't suffer 4 more years of this grotesque excuse for a human being.

I think that there is a lot of that in it. Trump plays stupid, but he is politically shrewd. You can't quell covid19 by force as it is an invisible enemy. But now he can show how he is tough on crime and disorder, while saying the state/local authorities are weak and need to get tough.

Tough on crime and disorder by hiding in a bunker while blaming everyone else and shouting at governors.

If Trump hadn't long ago burned bridges with the black community, was capable of empathy, and ego allowed him to not seek to appear tough at every moment he could have really put Biden in a tricky situation.

He has given up the easiest ground to Biden, where he can empathise with the protesters while admonishing the low number of violent ones. Trump in contrast is screaming about having troops on the streets, police being more agressive, and something very important right now - trying again to ban flag burning.

Ben Done wrote: »
    Have you listened to the audio of the call with the Governers?

This man is supposed to be a teetotaler - he was clearly drunk or heavily medicated, and also scared and lashing out at the same time.

Russia reported (not the USA) a phone call between Trump and Putin today.
    Taking his orders from the boss.

It's sickening, but maybe George Floyd will be the catalyst that means we don't suffer 4 more years of this grotesque excuse for a human being.

Can you link to it?

I haven't gotten a chance to go looking. CBSN have spent the afternoon talking about it but not playing it.

Can you link to it?

I haven't gotten a chance to go looking. CBSN have spent the afternoon talking about it but not playing it.

I had to turn it off!

https://youtu.be/Xhkouev0cp8

The White House is holding a press briefing.

Looking forward to Katie stating that DJT didn't say what he said.

I watched that. So am I right in summary, the problem America faces now is Antifa. That's what the White House are going with.

The police force is fine, covid all sorted. Antifa is americas greatest threat right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I had to turn it off!

Listened to the first 2 minutes and that was enough. Can't stand listening to his shít anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I had to turn it off!

That's really disturbing. Why is he slurring his words like that? Sounds like he's totally off his head on something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement