Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Or the Spanish Civil War between fascists and republicans.

I'm afraid that I'm not that well up on the intricacies of that conflict.

Are there mirrors/similarities?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Many would have grown up around guns and have been handling them and shooting from a young age. They wouldn't be organised but very dangerous due to firearms experience all the same

Anyone with a gun is dangerous, put them in a combat or live fire situation and the target practise goes out the window.

Just look at what happened at the Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. That ended well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Water John wrote: »
    Trump has made a poor call, but he would always go for division rather than healing.
    BTW the use of the 1807 Act is bluster as each state have to ask for it. He lied again as he can't send in troops without each Governer requesting it.

I believe he can, without a governers request, to n certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well let's see how this goes. Its going to be interesting to watch if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Gintonious wrote: »
    Anyone with a gun is dangerous, put them in a combat or live fire situation and the target practise goes out the window.

Just look at what happened at the Occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. That ended well.

Nothing happened.

I wouldn't write them all off. Anyway that's pie in the sky talk. Its not real life. The country would be in continuous war if that was the case. Just because some clown says it on Twitter.

These people live together, work together etc. Normal folk.

Like saying people who support ff would attack fg voters or vice versa tomorrow .Its not real. Bluster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The man holds the bible like he has never seen one before

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1267594813710446593?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nothing happened.

I wouldn't write them all off. Anyway that's pie in the sky talk. Its not real life. The country would be in continuous war if that was the case. Just because some clown says it on Twitter.

These people live together, work together etc. Normal folk.

Like saying people who support ff would attack fg voters or vice versa tomorrow .Its not real. Bluster

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,128 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Foxtrol wrote: »

I doubt he's ever opened the Bible in his life, it's just for show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

That clip is ridiculous... what is he even doing !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Headshot wrote: »
    I doubt he's ever opened the Bible in his life, it's just for show
    He can recite 2 Corinthians off by heart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Doesn't look comfortable with a book in his hand full stop, there's a surprise. More used to holding Playboy and takeaway menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Or the Spanish Civil War between fascists and republicans.

And eleventy other factions. 'I thought we were the anarcho-syndicalist front?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Media already turning on it. Last 2 days has all been about damage and looting and then they do this to peaceful protesters for a photo op.

Purple state/district republicans must be losing their mind at the stupidity

This is the type of message is going out now. If they had waiting 20 minutes they would have at least have the cover of them breaking the curfew. Utterly stupid

https://twitter.com/ATTENTION_CNN/status/1267598856004526081?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1267537669086752770

Lord have mercy. Look at this monkey, he is one of these clowns that you see walking around with arms in the states. Untrained, overweight and self-indulgent. Probably couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo if he tried and would **** all over himself the minute fire is returned.

This is Trumps base.

Was Trump's reference to the Second Amendment in his words this evening a threat to turn the likes of these guys loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Riots in over 35 cities. Police overran in some.

National guard to restore law and order for the tens of millions who are not out rioting is the next step. His words come across too aggressive though.

There was no riot in DC. It was clearly peaceful and the authorities engaged.

And now we have the shítshow that was subsiding all day today all over the country. LA is very peaceful right now leading to their curfew. So let's see if it stays that way as DC news filters through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Two thoughts on my mind all evening:

1) the two dudes must have been delighted to escape to the space station

2) Joe Biden is not the right person to pick up the pieces and begin some sort of healing.

Water John wrote: »
    Trump has made a poor call, but he would always go for division rather than healing.
    BTW the use of the 1807 Act is bluster as each state have to ask for it. He lied again as he can't send in troops without each Governer requesting it.

He literally invoked the Prayer of St Francis of Assisi in his address earlier in content and cadence.

He's completely lost the run of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Who killed the black police officer? Not much about it

Well according to some here, it was a call of war?

What would you call it?

Was it calming or will it incite further distrust, anger and violence?

Retro. wrote: »
    It's.chaos.there at the wh

You.wouldnt.know who's a terrorist.with everyone wearing.masks

Nobody is a terrorist outside the fence. Protesting is not terrorism.

The only terrorists are wearing suits in the WH.

• Advertisement

Everything he does is unnatural looking and sounding. He stands and walks weird even.

It literally looks like someone came down and is acting like a "male human entity".

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

I genuinely cannot believe that, Trump had peaceful protestors attacked so he could have a photo op in front of a building he doesn't believe in, while holding a book he wouldn't wrap his cheese burger in, n very mind read.

There will be so many innocent lives will be lost for a freaks ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Caegan wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot believe that, Trump had peaceful protestors attacked so he could have a photo op in front of a building he doesn't believe in, while holding a book he wouldn't wrap his cheese burger in, n very mind read.

There will be so many innocent lives will be lost for a freaks ego.

The wide angle shot of the church notice board shows "all are welcome" but Trump probably didn't see that before he stood for the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Retro.

That clip is ridiculous... what is he even doing !

Pretending to be jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re the curfew time for the Washington DC city area, Mayor Muriel Bowser put the city under a strict curfew Monday and Tuesday nights, barring most residents from leaving their house after 7 p.m. But the District is in the midst of a primary election, and voting centers will remain open until 8 p.m. on both nights. On Monday, a spokesperson for Bowser told Politico’s Zach Montellaro: “Voting is essential, therefore DC residents voting will be exempt to the curfew.” Montellaro then asked if Bowser’s office had communicated with the Board of Elections, provided guidance to poll workers, or established “proof” residents might need to convince police they broke curfew to vote. The spokesperson did not know the answer to any of these questions. Make what you can from that.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/dc-curfew-voting-polls-close.html#:~:text=Washington%2C%20D.C.,8%20p.m.%20on%20both%20nights.

Primary day in Pennsylvania as well. Philly will be interesting to watch tomorrow. They've extended to post in ballot deadline to June 9th as a result of protests.

It's a blessing these primaries for the general are a foregone conclusion. But could be a mess for anything else on the ballot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I realise that I wasn't expecting a genius oratory from him in this, but the combination of the governor's call and this announcement is particularly unhelpful and I'm wondering what his advisors were thinking when they gave him the Insurrection Act proposal. I honestly need to do some research on what he can and cannot do (Outside of Washingon DC, the rules don't really apply there). There are certainly some options for action without the State's governor, Arkansas 1957 is proof of that.

If the folks in charge have any sense, they will probably be used first to replace police in non-front-line positions. Securing police stations and jails, monitoring stations (to include Border Patrol, I recall the USBP were brought up for protests in California around 2003) letting the cops free to go to the streets. There is precedent for that, and it's less inflammatory.

However, as mentioned, the 1992 riots were quelled with military support. Only one or two firefights, it took particular gumption to take on organised armed soldiers, I served with some folks who were involved. The use of the insurrection act if State assets become overwhelmed isn't the worst idea, but as far as I know, the States aren't there yet and it could have been rather more diplomatically invoked than the combative narrative he's been using.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I realise that I wasn't expecting a genius oratory from him in this, but the combination of the governor's call and this announcement is particularly unhelpful and I'm wondering what his advisors were thinking when they gave him the Insurrection Act proposal. I honestly need to do some research on what he can and cannot do (Outside of Washingon DC, the rules don't really apply there). There are certainly some options for action without the State's governor, Arkansas 1957 is proof of that.

If the folks in charge have any sense, they will probably be used first to replace police in non-front-line positions. Securing police stations and jails, monitoring stations (to include Border Patrol, I recall the USBP were brought up for protests in California around 2003) letting the cops free to go to the streets. There is precedent for that, and it's less inflammatory.

However, as mentioned, the 1992 riots were quelled with military support. Only one or two firefights, it took particular gumption to take on organised armed soldiers, I served with some folks who were involved. The use of the insurrection act if State assets become overwhelmed isn't the worst idea, but as far as I know, the States aren't there yet and it could have been rather more diplomatically invoked than the combative narrative he's been using.

I assume the militia, indeed all gun owners and advocates, will now mobilise against a federal government looking to use force against them and their follow citizens.

Isn't that what A2 is all about? The right to bear arms is there, not to allow people to shoot deer with semi automatic weapons after all.

Will you be out on the streets or is this the right type of federal force?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Worst president ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And remember all this while, Coronavirus is still rampant around the states

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement