Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Covid being widespread around election time is beneficial to Trump. Deny voting by mail, make voting a risk to health, use voter suppression techniques to force seven hour long queues to make voting a much, much higher risk to health in areas with a high black population/Democratic vote than it is in white/Republican areas, where voters will be able to walk in, vote and get out in five minutes.

It sounds like a mad conspiracy theory, but the more you look at what is happening over in the US, the more it looks like a distinct possibility that they are at least looking at this as a potential benefit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump is nearly irrelevant to this discussion of whether the election will either go ahead, or be snarled up by court cases and chicanery. IMO it falls into the lap of Mitch McConnell and what he "allows" to happen from the Republican party's POV. Trump can rant from the bleachers all he wants if "his" party decides to ignore it (bar sycophantic outliers like Matt Gaetz)

Maybe it's just the nature of the information presented this side of the pond, but I've seen little output or noise coming from the GOP itself. We all saw its members scuttle for the elevators when pressed if they supported Trump's flailing during the protests, it begs the question what internal support is like at this stage. Who wants to even touch that hot mess of chaotic, senile leadership?

Obviously it being an election year there can't be excessively vocal grumbling, but one does wonder if senior members might be happy to ride this one out. Their own internal numbers won't look good, Trump's reputation is in the gutter and with various Senate seats up for grabs the writing may already be on the wall here. Pretending Trump doesn't exist might actually HELP those Senate campaigns. And if somehow, someway Trump gets reelected, the GOP won't suddenly have awkward conversations with a suddenly unfettered President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It sounds like a mad conspiracy theory, but the more you look at what is happening over in the US, the more it looks like a distinct possibility that they are at least looking at this as a potential benefit.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who have a huge vested interest in portraying decades of the verifiable reality of Republican voter suppession as a "conspiracy theory".

This has been the tactic of Trump supporters since he announced his candidacy - to portray his opponents as nutcases, ie. to gaslight, to troll.

The Republican obsession with voter suppression has a long and shameful history and goes back to the slavery propagandist John Calhoun, who believed that "liberty" (libertah) was indivisible from the right of the propertied white man to own slaves and, that democracy, ie. the will of the people, was "tyranny".

Every analysis of the election should factor in an assumption that the Republicans will attempt to fix it.

How to stop this fifth column assault on democracy is another matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really feel like we need a lot more discussion about the fact Trump thinks there's a vaccine for AIDS.

Not only does it emphasis his general clueless ways, but also that he seemingly has no idea what a vaccine is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I really feel like we need a lot more discussion about the fact Trump thinks there's a vaccine for AIDS.

Not only does it emphasis his general clueless ways, but also that he seemingly has no idea what a vaccine is.

He definitely conflates Vaccines with Therapeutics that's certain.

It boils down to the fact that he doesn't listen or absorb anything he's told if it isn't about him.

Someone will have explained this stuff to him (probably multiple times) but he tunes out and doesn't hold the information because it's not a story about how great he is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Does it matter though? I mean it's just another example among thousands that
    show Trump is an incompetent moron.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He definitely conflates Vaccines with Therapeutics that's certain.

It boils down to the fact that he doesn't listen or absorb anything he's told if it isn't about him.

Someone will have explained this stuff to him (probably multiple times) but he tunes out and doesn't hold the information because it's not a story about how great he is.

Oh there's no "probably" about it, it's on public record that Trump cannot or will not retain basic information:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-merkel-germany-eu-2017-4?r=US&IR=T
    "Ten times Trump asked [German chancellor Angela Merkel] if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany. Every time she replied, 'You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU,'" the official said.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

Trump said there is a vaccine for AIDS but that statement doesn't necessarily indicate that is what be believes.

Watching his off the cuff comments in the middle of written speeches, I get the sense that he just spouts the first random thought that enters in mind regardless if it matches what he actually believes if he thought about it for more than half a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There is a vaccine for AIDS, or at least one was being trialed quite recently.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/02/809729417/a-100-million-hiv-vaccine-project-failed-but-all-hope-is-not-lost?t=1592402323157

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So basically it's a vaccine that isn't safe to take.

That's like saying bleach kills the Corona virus so take bleach internally.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So basically it's a vaccine that isn't safe to take.

That's like saying bleach kills the Corona virus so take bleach internally.

Not entirely accurate, the efficacy wasn't high enough, There are other vaccines being trialed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not entirely accurate, the efficacy wasn't high enough, There are other vaccines being trialed as well.

Hydrogen Bombs are an effective cure with that rational

duploelabs wrote: »
    Hydrogen Bombs are an effective cure with that rational

I'm not defending Trump, just pointing he isn't wildly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

So, there isn't one, just like there isn't one for covid 19. Why does it have to be so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He is wildly incorrect though, there is no vaccine for aids. Having potential vaccines in trials doth butter no parsnips I'm afraid.

Another day another dollar though, the man is an imbecile. We know this at this point. Surely we all know someone in our lives so thick you wonder how they get to the position they are in etc? He is just that on mega steroids at its most basic form. A reality TV show who knows how to motivate the Jerry springer audience.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unless the vaccine is safe and on the market then the distinction is fairly meaningless.

Trump seems to be completely incapable to processing, analysing or explaining detail here. I'm not sure what he thought the point of pointing to some fictitious AIDS vaccine was. It just makes him look foolish to put it charitably.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He is wildly incorrect though, there is no vaccine for aids. Having potential vaccines in trials doth butter no parsnips I'm afraid.

Another day another dollar though, the man is an imbecile. We know this at this point. Surely we all know someone in our lives so thick you wonder how they get to the position they are in etc? He is just that on mega steroids at its most basic form. A reality TV show who knows how to motivate the Jerry springer audience.

I think this is the most straight to the point and succinct post about Trump I've seen in a very long while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

So he's not wildly incorrect, just spouting pure nonsense from the top of his head while confidantly thinking he's giving a coherent answer.

So the president of the US is at the level of miss teen South Carolina?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a point I have made to a number of people. Just how much faith would you have in Trump if he was the CEO of the business in which you were an employee. And how big a company do you think he would be capable of managing (not owning) without creating massive division or loss of business or civil claims from employees.

Before I thought that I wouldn't trust him to make a decision within a company where revenue was anything like 5M a year or above but the smaller the company, the more important the human resources element of the general manager also so I think he would fail in that respect also.

I've worked in MNC's, semi-state and owner-employee companies and can't see any place where the skills which he has shown he possesses would be beneficial to the company.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is a point I have made to a number of people. Just how much faith would you have in Trump if he was the CEO of the business in which you were an employee. And how big a company do you think he would be capable of managing (not owning) without creating massive division or loss of business or civil claims from employees.

Before I thought that I wouldn't trust him to make a decision within a company where revenue was anything like 5M a year or above but the smaller the company, the more important the human resources element of the general manager also so I think he would fail in that respect also.

I've worked in MNC's, semi-state and owner-employee companies and can't see any place where the skills which he has shown he possesses would be beneficial to the company.

If Trump had shareholders or a board of directors to answer to he would have been ousted decades ago , absolutely no question - He would not have survived all the failures.

The ONLY company he would ever get a leadership job in was Daddys - Just like his kids and his son in law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Will Trump's team never learn?

The long-awaited John Bolton book is going to be on sale next week. Just like so many books before, Trump's team is almost guaranteeing best-seller status by running to the courts to have its publication stopped. Talk about free advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm convinced they will rename the Streisand effect in his honor.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Will Trump's team never learn?

The long-awaited John Bolton book is going to be on sale next week. Just like so many books before, Trump's team is almost guaranteeing best-seller status by running to the courts to have its publication stopped. Talk about free advertising!

It's keeping Trump in the headlines, it doesn't matter what it's there for as his acolytes will spin it as something great/locker talk/a perfect call/money was just resting in his account

“Instead of leading the charge to defeat the virus, [Trump] just basically waved a white flag and has retreated. He’s so eager to get back to his campaign rallies, he’ll put people at risk, as everyone has pointed out, in violation of the CDC guidelines. They still warn against large gatherings as long as… he’s going to allow this to happen, but he’s willing to do it as long as, not withstanding CDC guidelines, as long as the people who show up sign a waiver promising they’ll not hold the campaign liable. Oh, man. Donald Trump’s failure to fight the coronavirus with the same energy and focus that he uses to troll his enemies on Twitter has cost us lives. And it’s putting hope for an economic recovery at risk.”

- Biden

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/biden-trump-failure-to-fight-covid-with-the-same-energy-he-uses-to-troll-his-enemies-on-twitter-has-cost-us-lives/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It's keeping Trump in the headlines, it doesn't matter what it's there for as his acolytes will spin it as something great/locker talk/a perfect call/money was just resting in his account

Its just hilarious the main buyers of John ****ing Bolton's book will be middle class RESISTANCE! type heroes.

I suppose if wretched Neocon war mongers like Frum, Kristol etc can make fortunes these days then the ultimate war monger is due some gullible fools money.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its just hilarious the main buyers of John ****ing Bolton's book will be middle class RESISTANCE! type heroes.

I suppose if wretched Neocon war mongers like Frum, Kristol etc can make fortunes these days then the ultimate war monger is due some gullible fools money.

Who? what?

KAC making a fool of herself: calling out Biden for in 1993 calling criminals predators/super-predators that needed to be in jail for rehabilitation etc. sad he 'was no teenager at woodstock' when he said it. Bad for her that Trump has called criminals predators a lot, including in front of CPAC far more recently, and he's in his 70s not some teenager at woodstock. She's chilled by one and not the other?

https://www.mediaite.com/news/kellyanne-conway-outraged-biden-called-violent-criminals-predators-in-1993-which-trump-has-said-dozens-of-times/

Who? what?

What type of ****ing loser will buy a John Bolton book?

It will be middle class supposedly liberal's looking for dirt on Trump.

Its a top grift from Bolton but LOL at anyone who would buy his book outside his family.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What type of ****ing loser will buy a John Bolton book?

It will be middle class supposedly liberal's looking for dirt on Trump.

Its a top grift from Bolton but LOL at anyone who would buy his book outside his family.

Why are they losers? Genuinely interested in hearing your rational

• Advertisement

Why are they losers? Genuinely interested in hearing your rational

Why would you buy a book from someone as horrible as John Bolton? A man who has been one of the most prominent war mongers the US have produced over last 20 years. The man who until he left was trying to prod Trump into invading Venezuela.

Why give such a man money?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement