Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Trump supported China building concentration camps for Uighurs.

EavIcj7WAAE2ZIy?format=png&name=900x900

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rjd2 wrote: »
    What type of ****ing loser will buy a John Bolton book?

It will be middle class supposedly liberal's looking for dirt on Trump.

Its a top grift from Bolton but LOL at anyone who would buy his book outside his family.

I won't be buying it, but for sure I'll be reading it!

I disagree with practically everything Bolton has done in his career, but I see him as an intelligent man, albeit with a worldview I doubt I could ever agree with. However, I will often read the writings of people I disagree with; otherwise how can I understand the things I don't agree with, and why he might hold the policy views that he does?

Like, I've read Mein Kamff, Das Kapital, and many other books by people I disagree with in order to broaden my mind and keep my thinking as balanced as possible. I've even read Tucker Carlson's Ship of Fools and Donald Trump's Art of the Deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why would you buy a book from someone as horrible as John Bolton? A man who has been one of the most prominent war mongers the US have produced over last 20 years. The man who until he left was trying to prod Trump into invading Venezuela.

Why give such a man money?

I asked the question why you think they're losers and you attacked Bolton, so I'll ask it again, why do you think the people who buy the book are losers?

Lance Armstrong's book is a bestseller despite being an odious cretin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Trump supported China building concentration camps for Uighurs.

EavIcj7WAAE2ZIy?format=png&name=900x900

More snippets are been released this evening; Another claims Trump wrote the defense of the Saudi regime after the Khashoggi killing because it distracted attention Ivanka was getting for using her personal email for government business

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1273335883056312320

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

duploelabs wrote: »
    I asked the question why you think they're losers and you attacked Bolton, so I'll ask it again, why do you think the people who buy the book are losers?

Lance Armstrong's book is a bestseller despite being an odious cretin

Their is about a million people who have wrote books on Trump as far back as you want to go and I can guarantee that the vast majority have caused less damage to the world than Bolton.

Bolton is an intelligent man for sure, but its pretty grim that a man with blood on his hands is going to make mad money for doing an expose on Trump.

Surely just wait until it comes out. the most interesting moments will be aired online anyhow.

On Lance it is what it is, a lot of people do genuinely admire him for the cancer battle etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

It's quite reasonable to simultaneously hold the views i) that Bolton is an utterly awful human being who sold his country out in favour of his own personal profit when he refused to testify at the impeachment hearings ii) that nobody should buy his book, and iii) that his book contains some extraordinarily damning information.

We've already seen that Trump supports the building of mass concentration camps (with all that that entails) for "inconvenient" ethnic minorities.

Though at the same time that should be no suprise given that he operates his own concentration camps.

The Hitler comparisons have always been apt.

Their is about a million people who have wrote books on Trump as far back as you want to go and I can guarantee that the vast majority have caused less damage to the world than Bolton.

Bolton is an intelligent man for sure, but its pretty grim that a man with blood on his hands is going to make mad money for doing an expose on Trump.

Surely just wait until it comes out. the most interesting moments will be aired online anyhow.

On Lance it is what it is, a lot of people do genuinely admire him for the cancer battle etc.

Ok again, why are the people who buy the book losers??

You still yet to answer that

There may be a million people who have written books about trump, but none have had the access that this writer has, I don't think the writer of the Art of the Deal has had as intimate inclusions.

Like Armstrong, I don't they will read the book because of what they think of the person but what they've experienced.

So to reiterate, why are the buyers losers?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,901 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Who? what?

David frum and bill kristol I think he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Why would you buy a book from someone as horrible as John Bolton? A man who has been one of the most prominent war mongers the US have produced over last 20 years. The man who until he left was trying to prod Trump into invading Venezuela.

Because Trump is even worse and therefore more dangerous then Bolton, If you can shock a guy like Norton then there is something very wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth considering too the relative value of a book is arguably less than it was 20 years ago. Kindles and e-readers make the accumulation of the written word much cheaper / easier (I'd argue it enabled the like of 50 Shades to do well: a screen more furtive than a brazen book spine). It's not like pricy hardbacks will be flying off the shelves here. Well. They will, but I daresay many copies will be frivolous and digital.

And even that's discounting the various outlets that'll reproduce the juicier stories without wading through the puffery. That'll be how I digest the book anyway. TBH we won't need to purchase the book and hold no great judgement against those who would. The tattle with this Presidency is the political and intellectual equivalent of Tiger King at this stage.

John Bolton is a pox on the world's geopolitics and his beliefs are an utterly repugnant manifestation of American primacy through aggression. His was one of the few departures from the Trump Presidency that was a net benefit. That said. His bridges seem well and truly burned so I'd be lying if I wasn't fascinated as to what he has to share. Methinks it'll be a diplomatic garbage fire of balls ups, offence and quick firefighting because ... I dunno, Trump wanted to nuke Stockholm.

• Advertisement

Bolton to speak to ABC on Sunday, get out the popcorn

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1273036041696534532?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

jesus he napalmed trump, it's pretty damning. trump hasn't tweeted in 17 hours, he must be foaming at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why give such a man money?

So, imagine how bad it had to be for Bolton to think "fcuk this, I'm out of here" and then go write this book?

I agree with you though even if these are true he is on the grift for not testifying before the impeachment preliminary hearings.

Ok again, why are the people who buy the book losers??

You still yet to answer that

There may be a million people who have written books about trump, but none have had the access that this writer has, I don't think the writer of the Art of the Deal has had as intimate inclusions.

Like Armstrong, I don't they will read the book because of what they think of the person but what they've experienced.

So to reiterate, why are the buyers losers?

Because you are buying the book of a truly awful person whose ideology has done so much harm to the world. Its not like he needs the money either.

The most interesting reveals will be all over the media so you miss nothing.

Lance is a cheat, but cheating in a sport where everyone does is nowhere near as awful as the politics that Bolton promotes so much.

FFS he was gagging to invade Venezuela before he retired and people are lining up to give him money.

Would you buy a Mike Pence or Mitch Mc Connell book purely because their is some stories about Trump in it?

Overheal wrote: »
    So, imagine how bad it had to be for Bolton to think "fcuk this, I'm out of here" and then go write this book?

I agree with you though even if these are true he is on the grift for not testifying before the impeachment preliminary hearings.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1273347802026979328

Noted Right winger there.

Its a grift and a blatant one as well.

Does it absolve Trump of everything? Of course not, history won't be kind, but boosting the bank balance of John Bolton? Ugh.

froog wrote: »
    jesus he napalmed trump, it's pretty damning. trump hasn't tweeted in 17 hours, he must be foaming at the mouth.

He's had to have had someone take the ****ing thing away from him, then, so he doesn't Streisand it. But, too little too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s amazing that it appears currently Covid is probably the number 3 story in America and tomorrow they will pass the 120,000 dead mark. With no sign of any real slow down and apparently a lot of the country just moving on. Holding the rally in Tulsa is if nothing else just plain stupid. People may die because of it, that’s the price of having people come worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose if they die for Trump they won't be able to vote for him. Be interesting to see how many more rallies he does when he sees his followers mown down for their devotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s amazing that it appears currently Covid is probably the number 3 story in America and tomorrow they will pass the 120,000 dead mark. With no sign of any real slow down and apparently a lot of the country just moving on. Holding the rally in Tulsa is if nothing else just plain stupid. People may die because of it, that’s the price of having people come worship.

I've said it since day 1. Americans are not phased by the loss of life - they are too materialistic at this stage, addicted to the almighty dollar.

They were trying to make it a Trump thing, but it wasn't. American culture is more than one president.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/17/john-bolton-book-trump-china-accusations-dictators
    The former national security adviser also confirms what Korea experts long suspected – that the summit diplomacy with North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, was intended as spectacle. Trump appeared unconcerned with the whole subject of denuclearisation.

“Trump told … me he was prepared to sign a substance-free communique, have his press conference to declare victory, and then get out of town,” Bolton wrote. The president, however, became obsessed in the following months with getting his secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, to deliver an autographed CD of Elton John’s Rocket Man to Kim, to make light of the epithet Trump had formerly used on the North Korean leader.

Bolton’s book also goes through a litany of what Trump does not know about the world – that Britain had nuclear weapons of its own, for example, or that Finland was not part of Russia.

Trump is forever finding new ways to scrape the bottom of the barrel...like wtf is thay about??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The rally in Tulsa has to be cancelled.
    Absolutely crazy having 20k people in an indoor venue. Trump will have to be far away from the crowd with glass or something protecting him. Heard that attendees will have to sign a waiver before going in. Madness.

He's had to have had someone take the ****ing thing away from him, then, so he doesn't Streisand it. But, too little too late.

Oh god it’s worse than I could have imagined:

https://twitter.com/nbcpolitics/status/1273023242521972736?s=21

Oh god it’s worse than I could have imagined:

https://twitter.com/nbcpolitics/status/1273023242521972736?s=21

Ugh.

Trump could just ignore the book totally as its coming out whether he likes it or not, but this and the inevitable ranting twitter thread is going to drive sales through the roof and draw more attention to it and make Bolton even richer. Great.

3D Chess again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ugh.

Trump could just ignore the book totally as its coming out whether he likes it or not, but this and the inevitable ranting twitter thread is going to drive sales through the roof and draw more attention to it and make Bolton even richer. Great.

3D Chess again.

Or just sue him for libel. Case wouldn't be heard until after November and irrespective as to what was said in the book, the Trump approach could have been to say we have launched legal proceedings so we either cannot discuss, or see everything as being a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I've said it since day 1. Americans are not phased by the loss of life - they are too materialistic at this stage, addicted to the almighty dollar.

They were trying to make it a Trump thing, but it wasn't. American culture is more than one president.

Well, then you've been wrong from day 1. My experience tells me that's a very sweeping and inaccurate generalisation. I have never met 'Americans' like what you describe. Every one I met in the US was doing their best to just 'get on', and I never found any of them to espouse the execrable attitudes that characterize Trump and his grifting fellow travellers in today's GOP. But maybe it's just the circles in which I move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Or just sue him for libel. Case wouldn't be heard until after November and irrespective as to what was said in the book, the Trump approach could have been to say we have launched legal proceedings so we either cannot discuss, or see everything as being a lie.

That wouldn't prevent any international sales though, the book is already out of the US control.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If there's nothing of substance in the book, seeing as it passed the required security review, then Don has nothing to be worried about as its a nothing-burger. It seems the security review being talked about by DOJ in its suing attempt now is an extra review ordered by a second person. That 2nd security review makes no sense, regardless of any NDA, except as a "we can because we can" exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He only threatens to sue. He'd have to disclose, which he never wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How predictable that Trump didn't realise the UK had Nukes!

This Bolton book will be biased no doubt but should be fascinating for what it confirms or contradicts and might prompt others to speak.

• Advertisement

The other interesting one is Trump's niece has her book coming out. Is he going to complain that she's a bad niece.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement