Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jibber5000 wrote: »
    You think ordinary workers don't benefit when the company's they have shares in soar on the stock market?

The wealthiest 20% of Americans own 94% of shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You think ordinary workers don't benefit when the company's they have shares in soar on the stock market?

Lol

Not many "ordinary workers" have shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I saw one bit of the rally, spouting off about the radical left attacking and destroying their beautiful monuments.

Same **** different day so really by the sound of it, the man offers nothing, a tired parody of himself at this stage.

He doesn't have the energy he used to and his material is far from fresh.

The warm up acts were embarrassing to watch (especially Kimberly Guilfoyle (Jeez!!!)) but despite that, were of a higher standard (except the Diamond & Silk pair) than the man himself! A pathetic, mean spirited pity party! What a massive bubble of paranoia and delusion he lives in!

As for crowd size (or lack of it) don't forget that some of those on the tier behind him will have been the struggling actors the campaign paid peanuts to in order to fill out the sycophantic backdrop.

All this, and the huge attendant Covid-19 risk, the cost and risk to Tulsa Police and other city staff, just to satisfy a needy narcissist's thirst for adulation and show that he doesn't always reside in the W.H. bunker!!! Pathetic childishness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Lol

Not many "ordinary workers" have shares.

Every American with a 401k plan is invested in the stock market which includes 'ordinary' workers and a big reason Trump remains popular is that most Americans retirement plans are growing nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Every American with a 401k plan is invested in the stock market which includes 'ordinary' workers and a big reason Trump remains popular is that most Americans retirement plans are growing nicely.

Nah they're all just investing 10 dollars. And the stock market is just for all the billionaires or so the investment experts boards are telling us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Nah they're all just investing 10 dollars. And the stock market is just for all the billionaires or so the investment experts boards are telling us.

1% of Americans now own 50% of shares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're clueless. Do you even realise that Hertz is still 150% above it's lowest mark when these pocket investors struck. What about the ones who sold when it was nearly 7 dollars and made 800% of their stake. Terrible example.
    I invested in hertz at 3.16 dollars, sold at 4.72. Made some decent money.
    Wow, a day trader at heart. Why you must be a multimillionaire by now right? I suggest you spend a bit more time reading up on what the people on Robinhood are investing in and take a gander what will happen when Hertz come out of it's protection to the Robinhood investors (I'll give you a hint, investing heavily in airplane carriers, sand oil producers etc. as they are currently doing is either going to beat every other experienced investor or...)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

Changing the goal posts. Who mentioned life changing amounts?
    It was claimed not many Americans own shares in companies. I proved they do

So you're backing up your argument that ordinary workers have shares with the argument that they have shares that are almost worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That rally turnout, and Trumps performance, is something that is going to deeply worry both the WH and GOP.

What if the polls are right and people have turned off Trump? He was always going to struggle to hold votes beyond his base, but this would seem to suggest that he is fast entering just his base. Which is no where near enough to win.

In saying that, people aren't focused on the campaign, most people are worried about jobs money , loved ones.

But the worry will be what can Trump do to re engage? He had nothing to offer last night. Yet another rehash of all the old complaints. But people are really hurting put there, do they really want to hear POTUS complaining about how hard his life is?

I would go as far as saying that he's losing his base or they simply won't turnout. The rallies are the base.

• Advertisement

It had 10 million in Decmeber. With it's rate of growth safe to say it's up past 11 million.

That site is US only. And you're right it's only one site. There's likely a few million more on other sites. The stock market had it's biggest month on record in June. This benefits all investors.

And why do you think that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I would go as far as saying that he's losing his base or they simply won't turnout. The rallies are the base.

I wouldn't go that far, I think Covid and everything around it would have depressed the numbers.

It was the first one for ages, so many will have switched off politics. He disappeared from the press briefings so to many he had gone to ground.

I think his base is locked in, but you raise the very important question of whether they are still enthused enough to actual go out and vote for him. I don't know, but yesterday should be a serious concern.

And it might be me reading too much into it, or the fact that it was 1/2 empty, but I thought the crowd reaction was very subdued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Posts deleted and a ban has been issued.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it before but comes down to the simple maths of every populist flop in politics. Easier to be outside the tent píssing in than inside píssing out. Trump got elected on electoral malaise or forgotten demographics and has achieved nothing promised. He's a flop and couldn't even achieve policies while controlling all arms of government. In his own words, kind of a loser really. CoVid tanked the economy and in the face of existential crisis Trump managed to be one of the few leaders to become less popular. How was Varadkar before CoVid? A dead Taoiseach walking yet currently commands 70% approval.

Yet Trump dissembled, waffled about UV lights and bleach while administrating with Denial as the chief strategy, picking fights with governors while he did. All the while ranting on Twitter like a low effort troll. I mean, we saw this all before with Hurricane Maria where he behaved in the exact same fashion. We should have known he'd be a disaster during a real one, he already was. Picking fights with local officials, denying death tolls as Democrat conspiracy and generally failing to lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

1% of Americans now own 50% of shares.

So 99% of Americans own 50% of all shares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BailMeOut wrote: »
    So 99% of Americans own 50% of all shares.
    Nope; because of that second half about 70% belongs to foreigners. Or if you want to look at the stock market as a whole foreigners own 35%; 50% belongs to the top 1% leaving 15% for citizens and funds such as Vanguard which can also have foreign owners without direct visibility (as they are ETFs of Vanguard in Europe etc. you can buy that would show up as American owned shares). Hence those 99% don't even own 15% of the market but significantly less.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was watching the live stream of the Tulsa Trump venue, and couldn't help but notice that Farage was wandering around. He was easily recognisable as he was one of the vast multitude not wearing masks. I hope the UK authorities don't forget to quarantine him for about ten years on his return to the UK, because he'll be spreading more than his usual crap if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I was watching the live stream of the Tulsa Trump venue, and couldn't help but notice that Farage was wandering around. He was easily recognisable as he was one of the vast multitude not wearing masks. I hope the UK authorities don't forget to quarantine him for about ten years on his return to the UK, because he'll be spreading more than his usual crap if they don't.

How did he even get into the country? A favour from Donnie no doubt. I know people that l work in the US that have been stranded here since the beginning of the lockdown but that clown can get in for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How did he even get into the country? A favour from Donnie no doubt. I know people that l work in the US that have been stranded here since the beginning of the lockdown but that clown can get in for no reason.

National interest apparently
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nigel-farage-us-tulsa-donald-trump-coronavirus-travel-ban-a9577406.html

Unfortunately a mask and quarentine won't prevent the virus that he spreads

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Don could actually, quite likely have spaced everyone out by 2mtrs?
    Held an appropriately socially distanced rally, and looked actually semi competent?

But chose instead to appear even more a dope by railing against the protesters keeping his hardcore at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

ejmaztec wrote: »

Yeah, you couldn't make this **** up! There is still a ban on travel from UK into the US because of Covid. So, you'd think Farage wouldn't have been able to get in? Nope!

Homeland Security granted him a waiver on the grounds that his visit was in the 'national interest'. So 'National Interest' now equates to going on a "on tour with Trump " gig? FFS! !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm calling it a hoax due to the statements made under oath which went against what those same people said on their TV appearances.
    I'm not trying to change the subject it was in reply to the conspiracy theory comment.

No offence, I'm not interested in whatever rationale you need to use to justify calling it a hoax in your own mind despite the sheer weight of evidence and beyond s shadow of a doubt proof of the Russian interference.

It is just a filter, I was going to engage with you on another matter but that showed me it would be a waste of my time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That rally turnout, and Trumps performance, is something that is going to deeply worry both the WH and GOP.

What if the polls are right and people have turned off Trump? He was always going to struggle to hold votes beyond his base, but this would seem to suggest that he is fast entering just his base. Which is no where near enough to win.

Presumably a Biden win wouldn't be a disaster for the GOP anyway.
    A lot of positives even.

The American public seem to swap after every double-term. Reagan->BushOne was the last time a party got a 3rd term. Bill Clinton, BushTwo & Obama presidencies were all followed by swaps. So 2024 would be tricky for GOP coming after a divisive second Trump term.

Biden would be a return to normal politics which I think quite a lot of GOP would welcome. He also has the look of someone who will only serve one term, so every chance 2024 would have no incumbent advantage and be a newcomer v newcomer battle. Any GOP candidates or financial backers would surely fancy their chances more in that situation. So a loss now opens the doors to being in power 2024-32 with a proper traditional Republican government.

Just a theory, quite possibly flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭RickBlaine

I agree that Biden looks like a one term president so I wouldn't be surprised if his VP will be chosen with the expectation of running in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

banie01 wrote: »
    So Don could actually, quite likely have spaced everyone out by 2mtrs?
    Held an appropriately socially distanced rally, and looked actually semi competent?

But chose instead to appear even more a dope by railing against the protesters keeping his hardcore at home.

I occasionally watched the live stream on Facebook, which started about two and half hours before Trump even appeared, and there was no social distancing whatsoever. People were milling around with their MAGA crap, and all chatting away as if they'd never heard of a virus. Occasionally someone would appear wearing a mask, but the vast majority couldn't be ar5ed.

After listening to him for a couple of minutes I could take no more, and didn't bother watching any of it again:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

According to Tulsa fire department, just under 6,200 attended last night. That's pretty disastrous considering the message they sent out and the red red red nature of the state

https://www.axios.com/trump-tulsa-rally-turnout-19b3ee7b-44c4-41ad-8ec4-172ba6448ff6.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A deflated Trump returns from Tulsa on Airforce 2

https://twitter.com/SethN12/status/1274697079164743682

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'd have 6,200 people at a Junior Gaa match.
    The debacle last night looks like the point of, no return for Trump IWT.

Water John wrote: »
    You'd have 6,200 people at a Junior Gaa match.

I'd say the queue outside penny's last week was bigger :D

On a more serious note he looks terrible in that video, finally realising he isn't loved by all and his presidency is coming to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'd say the queue outside penny's last week was bigger :D

On a more serious note he looks terrible in that video, finally realising he isn't loved by all and his presidency is coming to an end.

He really looks as though he's about to cry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement