Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

duploelabs wrote: »
    Party before Morals: as proven with examples as above and the senate vote with antics like Susan Collins (paraphrasing) 'oh he's learned his lesson and won't do it again'

Indeed. I can kind of get Collins' behaviour though - at least when it came to legislative decisions; there the Party Whip sorta, kinda serves a purpose to ... well, whip votes for important bills passing the Senate's collective desk. It's a pox but that's the Whip's main purpose.

Cruz though? He was out of the running, left in the dust by Trump during the Primaries and doubt anyone would have batted an eye had he simply taken a quiet backseat. Especially given Trump's needlessly nasty, personal remarks. I might have even sympathised with the Texas senator ... until he then turned around to willingly kissed the ring and debased himself. Presumably on the slim chance of a position in the new administration. Of which he received nothing.

I can find respect for Susan Collins far easier than Ted Cruz, even if they're both cynical players of the US political game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

An article from Wired about Covid-19 numbers. They're dropping in Minneapolis, despite protests, due to mask wearing (of course, other reasons may apply as well.) The author was concerned there'd be a spike from the #IMPOTUS rally in Tulsa, but given the light turnout, probably not.

https://www.wired.com/story/what-minnesotas-protests-are-revealing-about-covid-19-spread/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Igotadose wrote: »
    An article from Wired about Covid-19 numbers. They're dropping in Minneapolis, despite protests, due to mask wearing (of course, other reasons may apply as well.) The author was concerned there'd be a spike from the #IMPOTUS rally in Tulsa, but given the light turnout, probably not.

https://www.wired.com/story/what-minnesotas-protests-are-revealing-about-covid-19-spread/

The rally was little over 36 hours ago. It is way too early to trying to correlate case numbers with it having happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm sure I've seen this before explained but what exactly is the IM for before POTUS?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

I'm sure I've seen this before explained but what exactly is the IM for before POTUS?

I believe it's impeached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=impotus&amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sparko wrote: »
    I believe it's impeached.

I believe it's impotent. I believe Stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive watched the helicopter walk several times and i just cannot get over how different he looks compared to literally every other time weve seen him, his mannerisms are so for want of a better word "normal" i just cant get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

VinLieger wrote: »
    Ive watched the helicopter walk several times and i just cannot get over how different he looks compared to literally every other time weve seen him, his mannerisms are so for want of a better word "normal" i just cant get over it.

It's a measure of how bad things have gotten for him that when I saw that, I actually had a momentary feeling of pity for him.

He looked absolutely dejected and alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I agree. I thought he looked well and just thoughtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is one of the most annoying things about this presidency, I’ve said here before about things like his nonsense medicals and some other things, he’s an old man there’s no shame in slowing down or getting a bit frail but because of the laughable image he tries to portray of a strange tough guy he actually makes stories out of these things that shouldn’t be. It’s the same with the bone spur thing, getting out of going to Vietnam isn’t particularly shameful or rare but because he is now trying to make out about the military that he’s their guy and his comments about knowing more than generals he’s once again inadvertently made a fool of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's a measure of how bad things have gotten for him that when I saw that, I actually had a momentary feeling of pity for him.

I don't know... I agree he portrays a broken man. (And I have no sympathy)

But I believe, what he thought he was portraying (I.e. acting*) was a man "exhausted, coming home after a long day, a job well done, I saved the world again today, I am great" type of look.

Well he failed.

*Not a genuine bone in this man's body. He does not care about America, the country or the people, an iota

Roll on November

• Registered Users Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No sympathy here for him.

He has no one to blame but himself. I would not waste one second nano second of sympathy on this vile man. After the way he has treated his country, the World and the office of President of the USA he deserves no sympathy at all. The sooner he is gone the better for us all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭amandstu

amdublin wrote: »
    I don't know... I agree he portrays a broken man. (And I have no sympathy)

But I believe, what he thought he was portraying (I.e. acting*) was a man "exhausted, coming home after a long day, a job well done, I saved the world again today, I am great" type of look.

Well he failed.

*Not a genuine bone in this man's body. He does not care about America, the country or the people, an iota

Roll on November

Interesting you think he could be acting dejection (or weariness)

That wouldn't occur to me .

I feel there must be a genuine reason for his demeanour (and I hope it sucks,but that nobody gets the brunt)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Trump isn't capable of playing at being anything. He can't play at being presidential, he can't play at looking like someone who can walk down a ramp, he can't play at being concerned for the citizens of his country.

He is absolutely not capable of pretending to do anything other than be himself. He is not playing 3D chess with us, he really is exactly what we see, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

amandstu wrote: »
    Interesting you think he could be acting dejection (or weariness)

That wouldn't occur to me .

I feel there must be a genuine reason for his demeanour (and I hope it sucks,but that nobody gets the brunt)

I'd say "website guy" will be getting a bateing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Worth watching the video to see the way he answers this, looks like they did order testing slowed:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-pauses-then-dodges-when-asked-if-he-actually-ordered-coronavirus-testing-slowdown-were-doing-too-good-a-job/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

robinph wrote: »
    He is absolutely not capable of pretending to do anything other than be himself. He is not playing 3D chess with us, he really is exactly what we see, nothing more.

Go back and watch old interviews with Donald Trump from the 80s and 90s. It's shocking how much he has changed in his speech and manner. He used to be pretty well-spoken or at least could clearly articulate a point. He came across as level-headed and rational, at least relatively-speaking.

So, what happened? I know some people say he's showing early stages of dementia, but others say that Biden is showing a bit of senility himself. However, Biden retains pretty much the same manner he's had throughout his political career, or at least since I've really known of him as VP, albeit maybe a little slower. Trump's gone the other direction from more soft/slowly spoken to a raving demagogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At no point during his campaign or Presidency has Trump showed any interest or capability towards humility or vulnerability. His behaviour and utterances have been a consistency of vulgar braggadocio. A man so desperate to be at the literal centre of attention he pushed the Estonian PM out of the way during some conference B Roll. A spoofer so secure in his ignorance he's a walking example of the Dunning Kruger Effect.

So with that in mind, I simply don't believe for a second the haunted, haggard individual caught coming off the helicopter last night was an act. Some new strategy that would otherwise contradict all prior personality traits plainly visible. Methinks he didn't know there'd be cameras waiting for him, not at that hour - it must have been quite late right? A man who puts everything into a public image of bullish swagger isn't going to suddenly pull such casual weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Thargor wrote: »
    Worth watching the video to see the way he answers this, looks like they did order testing slowed:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-pauses-then-dodges-when-asked-if-he-actually-ordered-coronavirus-testing-slowdown-were-doing-too-good-a-job/

Of course he meant it. Remember he said that he didn't want a cruise ship to disembark as it made his numbers look bad!

It continues to amaze me that his supporters continue to accept that he both tells it like it is and that nothing he says is actually what he meant.

It just highlights that the current US numbers need to be taken with a massive grain of salt.

• Advertisement

I've known a few ppl over my 60+ years who carried personality traits of what I now know to have been elements of sociopathy, narcissism and other personality disorders. The behaviour we saw of Trump alighting the chopper is entirely in line with how those ppl acted when things did not go according to their plan: sulking,hulking, resentful, spiteful, vicious in response, totally lacking in acceptance of any responsibility for the situation, and subjecting all around them to a 'pity party' environment for days.

What you saw was sheer resentment and planning for revenge.. Nothing there to pity IMHO.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Midlife wrote: »
    I think it's 90 miles of repairs, 3 miles of new fence. 2,100 miles to go.

[Edit. Apparently very unclear of specifics, the data is for border infrastucture improvements to include sensor nets and the like, not just the physical 32-foot barrier]

This seems to be reasonably up to date. https://www.trumpwall.construction/ , if a little unclear on the specifics.

I'm reading it as 274 miles of replacement wall, 38 miles new wall completed.

They started with 649 miles, so that makes the current tally 687 miles of some form of barrier, 1,267 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

But the WH Press Sec said he was in fine form on the flight. Don't you believe her?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

The Lincoln Project have done a lovely job setting it to a stirring soundtrack...

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1275042854537134080

This seems to be reasonably up to date. https://www.trumpwall.construction/ , if a little unclear on the specifics.

I'm reading it as 274 miles of replacement wall, 38 miles new wall completed.

They started with 649 miles, so that makes the current tally 687 miles of some form of barrier, 1,267 to go.

So, the original 2016 promise of a wall, 'from sea to shining sea', paid for by Mexico is, at this point of 3.5 years into his Presidency, a complete and total bust!

Now, I'm not complaining, as I always believed it was a crock from a range of perspectives, not least of it being an expensive populist promise that largely ignored the need for far more intelligent solutions than a physical barrier.

I'm only highlighting it here, as an example of a promise made, latched onto by extreme Conservative jocks like Limbaugh, Coulter and their ilk, and which has totally failed in its delivery. That's gotta hurt those folks!

What that says to me is that the more intelligent folks on the far right may just find it too hard to vote Trump in November. I'm not saying for a minute they'll vote Biden, but you may find lots of 'write in' votes for other Conservatives appearing on their papers, just like what Bolton described as his plan yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

MSN is running a report that, after receiving requests from Senator Schumer and it's own Secretary, the Interior Dept's inspector general is to investigate the handling of the Lafayette Park clearing of protestors by the Dept's Park Police.

I cant really see this being more of an exercise in futility if that I/G wants to hold onto his job, given it would involve asking A.G Barr certain questions "what do you know about the Park Police actions, did you issue any instructions to the Park Police, did you record your actions and instructions in writing or in any other way, do you still have those records, will you hand them over to my investigation?" Let's face it, Trump is not open or liable to answering questions honestly. Trump's I/G firing record might be off-putting but it's possible this I/G might do what's required.

On the employment front, the Admin has done this: https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/politics/trump-administration-extends-visa-ban-to-non-immigrants/ar-BB15Qp3i?ocid=msedgdhp

Thargor wrote: »

Indubitable.

aloyisious wrote: »
    MSN is running a report that, after receiving requests from Senator Schumer and it's own Secretary, the Interior Dept's inspector general is to investigate the handling of the Lafayette Park clearing of protestors by the Dept's Park Police.

I cant really see this being more of an exercise in futility if that I/G wants to hold onto his job, given it would involve asking A.G Barr certain questions "what do you know about the Park Police actions, did you issue any instructions to the Park Police, did you record your actions and instructions in writing or in any other way, do you still have those records, will you hand them over to my investigation?" Let's face it, Trump is not open or liable to answering questions honestly. Trump's I/G firing record might be off-putting but it's possible this I/G might do what's required.

That's a crucial element in all of this....Time was, an I/G investigation meant something honourable, and would have been welcomed and feared in equal measure, depending on whether you were on the side of the Angels or the Devils..

Nowadays, its all been compromised by the Grifters-In-Charge. One of the 1st jobs of a post-Trump Congress is to restore that system to something approaching trustworthiness again..

Kentucky is holding's it's State Primary tomorrow after this ruling by a federal judge agreeing with most counties having only one [1] voting centre. State officials on both sides of the political aisle released a joint statement condemning US District Court Judge Charles Simpson’s ruling two days ago against a case that argued having just one polling site in most of the state’s 120 counties would result in voter suppression.

“We believe the judge disregarded evidence from our expert witness that one location will suppress the vote, particularly among African Americans,” read the statement, co-authored by Jason Nemes, a Republican state representative, and Keisha Dorsey, a Democratic councilwoman for Louisville Metro. The lawmakers were both behind the lawsuit, which demanded an increase in statewide polling locations.

I saw this on F/B two days ago but after I opened up Boards.ie and went back to F/B the story had disappeared from its news items.

https://twnews.co.uk/gb-news/apos-it-apos-s-going-to-be-an-angry-mob-apos-kentucky-cuts-number-of-polling-stations-by-95-percent-ahead-of-primary-voting

https://uselections.com/ky/ky.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So, the original 2016 promise of a wall, 'from sea to shining sea', paid for by Mexico is, at this point of 3.5 years into his Presidency, a complete and total bust!

Now, I'm not complaining, as I always believed it was a crock from a range of perspectives, not least of it being an expensive populist promise that largely ignored the need for far more intelligent solutions than a physical barrier.

I'm only highlighting it here, as an example of a promise made, latched onto by extreme Conservative jocks like Limbaugh, Coulter and their ilk, and which has totally failed in its delivery. That's gotta hurt those folks!

What that says to me is that the more intelligent folks on the far right may just find it too hard to vote Trump in November. I'm not saying for a minute they'll vote Biden, but you may find lots of 'write in' votes for other Conservatives appearing on their papers, just like what Bolton described as his plan yesterday.

I'm going to go back and edit my last post on this matter, apparently the 312 miles is of infrastructure to include sensors, access, etc, not the specific 32-foot-high physical barrier. The CBP website states 216 miles built.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders/border-wall-system

That said, the map is interesting, it's a clickable one showing planned and extant wall (The physical one). When completed, the vast majority of the border between Mexico and CA, AZ and NM will be encompassed, only the border which has the natural barrier of the Rio Grande river will remain as a significant distance without one, and even at that, it's mainly a part of West Texas where there is absolutely no infrastructure or concealment which migrants and cartels can use. It makes a compelling argument that what will be built will be effective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement