Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ffs Iowa has bad software and no results yet? DNC can't organize sh1te. And again, falling down due to IT issues. Christ on a crutch..

I think the democrats are going to be a disaster going up against the Republicans/Trump..... time to call in John Kerry to run ? I think Joe Biden is not physically or mentally up to the job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On Trump anthem, its is the highest form of disrespect. People kneeling, respectfully, were castigated, but Trump acting like a toddler, will of course be excused.

On Iowa, a complete and utter disaster. How can a party that wants to lead a country not be able to run a single state vote? They had 3 years to get this ready, three years knowing how crucial it was to get in front of the Trump campaign.

It has nothing to do with Trump, and doesn't do anything to make Trump the person to vote for, but you would have to feel sorry for America that they have allowed themselves to be so poorly governed.

They need radical change, of with some thought Trump was it but unfortunately he has proved to be anything but with bipartisanship increasing all the time especially within he GOP which is party before country fully at this stage, but the DNC seem incapable of providing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    On Trump anthem, its is the highest form of disrespect. People kneeling, respectfully, were castigated, but Trump acting like a toddler, will of course be excused.

On Iowa, a complete and utter disaster. How can a party that wants to lead a country not be able to run a single state vote? They had 3 years to get this ready, three years knowing how crucial it was to get in front of the Trump campaign.

It has nothing to do with Trump, and doesn't do anything to make Trump the person to vote for, but you would have to feel sorry for America that they have allowed themselves to be so poorly governed.

They need radical change, of with some thought Trump was it but unfortunately he has proved to be anything but with bipartisanship increasing all the time especially within he GOP which is party before country fully at this stage, but the DNC seem incapable of providing it.

Agreed.

The Dems left it til the last minute in 2018 in the mid terms to challenge Rep steps taken with voter suppression.

The Dems manage to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory time and time again.

The time is ripe to finish Trump off and eviscerate the Rep party. Here's hoping they get their sh1t together

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just going back to the Impeachment trial, Ken Starrs closing speech was amazing - talking about obeying rules and doing what is right. He didn't appear to see any irony. They are beyond satire.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/02/03/kenneth-starr-trump-impeachment-trial-closing-arguments-sot-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/this-week-in-politics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He's right, democrats have flouted the rules ...

Pelosi calling it an impeachment before a house vote, not allowing Republicans to call their own witnesses, leaking portions of testimony, refusing to release Atkinson's full testimony. They disrespected many laws also by claiming that the president merely exercising laws open to him, as advised by his legal team, amounted to obstruction.

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1224401897085382657

Looking strongly like the whistleblower rules were broken also but then sure we'd be here all day if we started talking about how rules were broken in the concerted effort to take down Trump since he came down that escalator, including FBI doctorting emails, FBI leaking information to the media, failing to declare crucial information to the FISA courts, such as how sources had been fired by the FBI, and of course who had financed information being used to obtain warrants.

So yeah, rules sure have been broken, and not only by Schiff and Co during this impeachment, but every step of the damn way too. John Durham's report will leave no doubt of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Doesnt sem to be any mention of the opioid crisis lately on here, or the great work being done by the Trump administration. Ive posted on this topic before , its great to see progress being made.

In March 2016 Donald Trump the candidate promised
    “I would stop drugs from pouring into your community, I’m going to do it, I’m not a politician – I’m going to do it," he told those attending his rallys.

In October 2017, President Trump declared the opioid crisis a public health emergency. Ever since, the Trump Administration has applied an all-of-Government approach to the epidemic, taking an extraordinary range of actions that reflect the President’s commitment to stopping the crisis in its tracks.

In October 2018, the Trump Administration had secured $6 billion in new funding over a two-year window to fight opioid abuse... the list of actions by this administration on the opioid crisis is extensive.

The CDC Centre for Disease Control just released their numbers for 2018 and for the FIRST TIME IN NEARLY 2 decades OPIOID Deaths have decreased in the US.
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/480642-drug-overdose-related-deaths-fall-for-the-first-time?fbclid=IwAR2VFF-yQNNpzFFYmBbM2AnwaoKlB8e5BdnfU3X00EkYMkatbZkxliwou0c

People should pay attention to the work the Trump Administration is doing, and ignore the click-bait.

What good work? You take away free medicare therefore access to drugs so opioid overdoses go down. There's no good work being done there. It's just a side effect of taking healthcare away from people.

What they should do is keep free health care and go to town on big pharma for forcing over prescriptions of addictive painkillers which is the real reason. That would actually be being proactive.

Genuine question, why do people bother with Pete?

You say that as if I have been wrong on something.

Did I push the Russia-Collusion hoax on these threads for three years? Nope, I was one of the few saying there was no evidence of it and I/we were right. Same as I have said all along that there was no evidence to accuse him trying to bribe Zelensky, or that he abused the power of his office as per the charge they settled on. I was right also with regards to FISA abuse when all and sundry on here were calling it a conspiracy theory.

Sorry to annoy you all with the truth so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Penn wrote:
    Dementia, meds or just wasn't getting enough attention for two minutes?

On first viewing I thought it was a look alike. Took me til I saw his wife standing next to him that I realised it was Don. Words fail me to describe my disgust at him. He chastizes football players for kneeling during the anthem, but is making a mockery of it himself.

How does this reflect on him, Pete and Rigolo?

If I saw Michael D at the same behaviour I'd be questioning his mental capacity. Sad for the USA that this idiot is making them the laughing stock of the world. Again, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    On first viewing I thought it was a look alike. Took me til I saw his wife standing next to him that I realised it was Don. Words fail me to describe my disgust at him. He chastizes football players for kneeling during the anthem, but is making a mockery of it himself.

If I saw Michael D at the same behaviour I'd be questioning his mental capacity. Sad for the USA that this idiot is making them the laughing stock of the world. Again, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious.

Michael D had a picture of himself with Daniel Ortega on the Irish presidential website in 2018, when Daniel Ortega was running death squads in Nicaragua.
    Our own president is just as much an idiot, but he was ok and gets away with such things as the media loves him, helps that he invites them all to tea at the Aras.
    In the past Michael D had a visit to his home in Galway from Ortega and wanted to visit him in Nicaragua as president. But Higgins was given a free ride to the presidency again...
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/18/nicaragua-amnesty-international-police-killings-daniel-ortega
    At least 322 people have been killed and 2,000 others injured – mostly by the police and pro-government paramilitary groups – since demonstrations over social security system reforms began in April.

Protesters have been arbitrarily arrested, tortured, and at least 300 prosecuted, many on terrorism charges. At least one journalist has been killed, and several foreign reporters deported.

The new report by Amnesty, Instilling Terror, documents human rights violations committed between 30 May and 18 September 2018 that it believes were carried out with the knowledge, and on orders of the highest authorities in government, including President Daniel Ortega, and his wife, Vice-President Rosario Murillo.

It is more than Trump that is an idiot, our own president is too.

• Advertisement

Thepoet85 wrote: »

Doesn't reflect too well but then I wouldn't be overly harsh on him over it. Working very hard lately on a number of very important issues and the stress of being impeached on top of all that, so only natural then that at the first semi-private social occasion he's at (where he feels he can let his hair / toupee down a bit) he has some fun after a few too many apple juices while a singer belts out the anthem. Had he done this out in the stadium, during the official playing of the anthem as part of the Superbowl proceedings, I'd be far more critical of it, but as it is, nothing to see here.

With regards to those laughably comparing it to the NFL players who deliberately targeted the anthem at large public events as a means of protest, there simply is no comparison. What they did was calculated with the clear objective that what they were doing would be inferred by the public as a slight on the country. They were making a statement and it was that America was racist. Again, no comparison to someone who just was having a little too much fun as it was being sung at a social semi-private function.

Doesn't reflect too well but then I wouldn't be overly harsh on him over it. Working very hard lately on a number of very important issues and the stress of being impeached on top of all that, so only natural then that at the first semi-private social occasion he's at (where he feels he can let his hair / toupee down a bit) he has some fun after a few too many apple juices while a singer belts out the anthem. Had he done this out in the stadium, during the official playing of the anthem as part of the Superbowl proceedings, I'd be far more critical of it, but as it is, nothing to see here.

With regards to those laughably comparing it to the NFL players who deliberately targeted the anthem at large public events as a means of protest, there simply is no comparison. What they did was calculated with the clear objective that what they were doing would be inferred by the public as a slight on the country. They were making a statement and it was that America was racist. Again, no comparison to someone who just was having a little too much fun as it was being sung at a social semi-private function.

I have to hand it to you Pete, everytime I think you can't possibly twist yourself into any more knots you manage to surprise.

You have so many caveats, that essentially you are going to allow him do anything. So it isn't the kneeling at the anthem you had a problem with, it was that it was done in public! Is a minimum number of people around to watch it live that is the problem, do you count the TV audience as well?

And you don't think a pro player about to enter into a game is a stressful environment, even before they had POTUS calling them to be sacked?

Even Trump's wife, not even born in the country, was able to stand and show respect. But the name charged with making America great again doesn't even care about the national anthem, and you are perfectly fine with that.

Its the National anthem, I thought any sign of disrespect was terrible, but now you have an understanding of the pressure he is under, how tough his life is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So it's okay to mock the National Anthem if you're having fun, but it's not okay to kneel respectfully during it as a form of protest?

Still trying to claim you're absolutely not a Trump defender, but rather a Truth defender? I mean you're literally defending him for prancing and flailing about during the National Anthem because he "working very hard lately on a number of very important issues"

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You have so many caveats, that essentially you are going to allow him do anything. So it isn't the kneeling at the anthem you had a problem with, it was that it was done in public! Is a minimum number of people around to watch it live that is the problem, do you count the TV audience as well?

Not to mention kneeling in private wouldn't be much of a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Christy42

Penn wrote: »

Protesting in private is the only acceptable form of protest and we must give out about all others. Otherwise we may need to talk about the issues being protested about.

Penn wrote: »

Its the mind-numbing hypocrisy of it.

Shame on those that disrespect the anthem, and of course by extension the great military, but not standing to attention to respect the flag. People died to give you the freedoms you enjoy, the least you should do is act in a respectful way.

And then, its fine cause he's tired and a bit stressed and sure nobody was there and sure he was only messing, and he was only watching some one singing it and, and, and, and.

So are the rules different because he is POTUS, Trump or white?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Though I'm not accustomed to defending Don's casual behaviour, I'll stand by him in this case in respect to the comment that he may have had too many beverages. Don doesn't take alcohol in any form due to the death of his older brother from the effects of alcohol.

CK specifically asked a veteran how he could do it without insulting the nation. He did it to protest a specific issue that he was clear about. Anyone who took offense was looking to take offense. Trump included now he is disrespectful himself (and far more so).

America still has massive issues with racism (see anyone pushing birther conspiracy, police violence etc.).

Unless Trump has lost the plot he knew he was in a public enough area to be filmed and should have the mental capacity to keep it together for several minutes.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Though I'm not accustomed to defending Don's casual behaviour, I'll stand by him in this case in respect to the comment that he may have had too many beverages. Don doesn't take alcohol in any form due to the death of his older brother from the effects of alcohol.

Yeah, that is the story all right. Whether it is true is another matter, and is irrelevant if he is taking something else as a substitute.

At this stage Trump supporters remind me of those involved in an abusive relationship.

Everyone from outside looking in sees what a complete mess it is, and that one of the party is to blame for his/her outrageous behaviour, but the partner sits there and twists the facts and logic itself so that they can reconcile why they think it can still work, that there is good in their partner and it's just that others can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

RobertKK wrote: »
    Michael D had a picture of himself with Daniel Ortega on the Irish presidential website in 2018, when Daniel Ortega was running death squads in Nicaragua.
    Our own president is just as much an idiot, but he was ok and gets away with such things as the media loves him, helps that he invites them all to tea at the Aras.
    In the past Michael D had a visit to his home in Galway from Ortega and wanted to visit him in Nicaragua as president. But Higgins was given a free ride to the presidency again...
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/18/nicaragua-amnesty-international-police-killings-daniel-ortega

It is more than Trump that is an idiot, our own president is too.

The picture was from 2011.

What's your point here? That the picture was used in 2018 as part of a photo montage of the Higgins presidency. Doubt Higgins does the Web page tbh. Or is it that Higgins ever liked socialists in the first place?

everlast75 wrote: »
    At this stage Trump supporters remind me of those involved in an abusive relationship.

Everyone from outside looking in sees what a complete mess it is, and that one of the party is to blame for his/her outrageous behaviour, but the partner sits there and twists the facts and logic itself so that they can reconcile why they think it can still work, that there is good in their partner and it's just that others can't see it.

I mean can you even begin to imagine the outrage if Hilary or Obama did that? Or if if Biden, Bernie or Warren did it? They'd be burning effigies in the streets.

But Trump? "Ah he had a few hard days presidenting and was just being chill! It's not like he was doing something stupid like trying to bring attention to perceived racial bias by law enforcement or something, he was just goofing around like the wacky, wacky wackerson he is! WACKERSON 2020! MAGA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Christy42 wrote: »
    CK specifically asked a veteran how he could do it without insulting the nation. He did it to protest a specific issue that he was clear about. Anyone who took offense was looking to take offense. Trump included now he is disrespectful himself (and far more so).

Unless Trump has lost the plot he knew he was in a public enough area to be filmed and should have the mental capacity to keep it together for several minutes.

I noted the young man to the right of Don in the video seemed to have his arm across his chest, hand over heart, during the recitation and Don had a clear view of him to see and note how seriously others present were taking the sounding of the national anthem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Won't matter. We're too far past the point of even the Sunk Cost Fallacy for something like this to matter to anyone; except perhaps those remaining independents still clinging to the belief that at any minute, Trump will become "Presidential".

The Ultras that would rather "be Russian than vote Democrat" won't care that he's disrespecting the very symbol they worship, doesn't matter to them - assuming the video will even find its way to their local Fox Syndicate or Sinclair Broadcasting sock puppet station. Deflection will ensue, or the whine that he's "only joking". Or histrionics over Adam Schiff, the current target for Bad Faith whataboutery.

Of course if any Democrat, or perceived enemy of Conservative values did this, well. We all know the reaction there. I mean. Remember Obama holding the coffee cup while saluting the marine? "Hypocrisy" doesn't really cover it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Did I push the Russia-Collusion hoax on these threads for three years?

For starters, it wasn't a hoax. There were plenty of attempts at collusion and plenty of obstruction to prevent investigators from getting to the bottom of it. The Mueller report covers this.

Calling it a hoax is extremely dishonest as it suggests that it was all made up when it's clear enough that there were plenty of grounds for an investigation.

Interesting forecast made by Rick Wilson on Talking Feds pod about the upcoming SOTU address.

He thinks Trump doesn't have it in him to not walk up to the podium and basically say that he did it, he did it all and got away with it, which will make things very tricky for Rep Senators who voted to let him off come election time later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Did I push the Russia-Collusion hoax on these threads for three years? Nope, I was one of the few saying there was no evidence of it and I/we were right. Same as I have said all along that there was no evidence to accuse him trying to bribe Zelensky, or that he abused the power of his office as per the charge they settled on. I was right also with regards to FISA abuse when all and sundry on here were calling it a conspiracy theory.

Sorry to annoy you all with the truth so much.

Simple question Pete. what do you think Trump's flaws are? Both as a politician and as a human being

For starters, it wasn't a hoax. Calling it a hoax is extremely dishonest as it suggests that it was all made up when it's clear enough that there were plenty of grounds for an investigation.

Well, according to the Oxford definition: a hoax ​is an act intended to make somebody believe something that is not true. Multiple officials did just that in the FISA courts alone and multiple players did just that in the lead up also. Hoaxes can also lead to investigations, especially hoaxes which are designed to do that very thing ;)
    There were plenty of attempts at collusion

There were NO attempts by the Trump campaign to conspire or coordinate with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election. None.

Look, you (and the majority of regulars on here) didn't want to know for well over two years about FISA abuse. Every time it was mentioned it was referred to as a right wing conspiracy theory, as sure that's what the mainstream media were calling it and that's pretty much always a good barometer of where this thread is on pretty much anything. The following example of their reaction to the Nune's memo is a good reflection of the attitude on here to it too:

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1207020373688098816

On Russia. Trump has publicly accepted that Russian interference happened.

Has he done anything to stop it happening again? We know it happened. We know it will happen again but Trump has little motivation to stop given they will help him (he is handy for breaking up the traditional western alliance and stopping cooperation between first world countries).

• Advertisement

But the FISA situation doesn't do anything for your position. FISA could have been obtained incorrectly, illegally etc, but that doesn't mean that collusion didn't happen.

But even if it didn't, it is clear from many sources, that Russian tried to interfere in the campaign. Trump first sided expliciitly with Russian and Putin over his own country, before finally acknowledging that he had been wrong the whole time, but doing nothing to limit it. And still hasn't.

He then went off to try and get another foreign country, Ukraine, to dry to dig up dirt on his political opponent, something he apparently was aghast at others doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement