Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

osarusan wrote: »
    Silly from Pelosi I thought.

When you're up against somebody childish, you don't lower yourself to their level, and give them cheap political points to score.

There must be a stage though at which you are exasperated beyond reason and have to express it somehow, anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

ricero wrote: »
    Embarrassing by Pelosi, a disgrace to her party.

Lol

"She's" a disgrace???

Maybe she was "bleeding out of her whatever...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean theatrics but it certainly several levels above honouring a man who believes the police shouldn't be called in cases of rape. And seems to believe it an insult to point out that the left wing would call the police.

Ripping up a speech of lies is not a big deal for me. Trump lying about trying to keep pre existing conditions is a big deal and one which could kill many Americans if he is left in power.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watched what Pelosi did and ... yeah. Sure, why not? Generally I would buy into the belief of the "adults in the room" approach, that those around the President should be above it all - but we're all only human and I daresay she has had enough of this utter vulgar fool of a man.

Trump sits in the highest political office in the land and makes a constant, unending stream of gaffs, lies and outrageous comments on the best days. His brainless spoofing has literally caused crisis in other governments, New Delhi scrambling over non-existent Kashmir talks is my "favourite". I think we can find the latitude to forgive a career politician, someone who is serious about her job in running the country (even if she's part of the Establishment, however you choose to take that), having a moment of frustration and sheer FFS'ery.

I haven't even heard the SotU Address and I'm going to go ahead it was full of braggadocio and utter bullsh*t.

Any outrage against Pelosi proves the double standards at play: this is Obama-in-a-Tan-Suit all over again.

edit: I also read that they ejected the father of a Parkland shooting victim for heckling Trump during his placations of the 2nd Amendment Lobby; that's a good visual, alongside the medal for Rush Limbaugh that must surely be taken as an intentional kick against the progressive wing of American politics. For a man who constantly talks big about healing or unifying the country, it doesn't reflect one iota in Trump's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

osarusan wrote: »
    Silly from Pelosi I thought.

When you're up against somebody childish, you don't lower yourself to their level, and give them cheap political points to score.

I think it was brilliant.
    Great symbolism.
    Cutting straight through his lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I think it was brilliant.
    Great symbolism.
    Cutting straight through his lies.

It's also completely stolen the headlines from Trump over the SOTU. Considering his narcissism is one of his most defining traits, he'll likely be raging over that. They're not talking about his 'great ad wonderful and best ever SOTU, people are saying', they're talking about "Nasty Nancy".

No Trump supporter gets to complain about childish behaviour after Trump's habit of nicknames and insult hurling got him a presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Could American politics sink any lower?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Could American politics sink any lower?
    With Trump around, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I swear to God, its the only play that Republicans have these days.

Provoke, provoke, provoke and then when someone reacts, cue the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Dytalus wrote: »
    It's also completely stolen the headlines from Trump over the SOTU. Considering his narcissism is one of his most defining traits, he'll likely be raging over that. They're not talking about his 'great ad wonderful and best ever SOTU, people are saying', they're talking about "Nasty Nancy".

No Trump supporter gets to complain about childish behaviour after Trump's habit of nicknames and insult hurling got him a presidency.
    Outlaw Petezagate will be along shortly to give it a go

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    With Trump around, always.

Most people in America, outside of forums, are just embarrassed by both parties. I don't blame them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Most people in America, outside of forums, are just embarrassed by both parties. I don't blame them.

Any surveys to back that up? I'm quite serious BTW: American politics is more theatrical than most Democracies, so I'm curious where and how you're reckoning people are embarrassed. It's a bold statement by Pelosi, but pretty tame in comparison with the slew of behaviour of the CiC. And just another in a long line of theatrics by elected officials. It's par for the course over there.

I don't pretend to know inside the heads of the average American & how they view their elected officials: I suspect it's more water off a ducks back at this stage, given how these days it's more like the inside of a WWE ring than a house of governance, but I'd be curious if you have any stats or polls that might show an indication of embarrassment, antipathy or whatever.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Any surveys to back that up? I'm quite serious BTW: American politics is more theatrical than most Democracies, so I'm curious where and how you're reckoning people are embarrassed. It's a bold statement by Pelosi, but pretty tame in comparison with the slew of behaviour of the CiC. And just another in a long line of theatrics by elected officials. It's par for the course over there.

I don't pretend to know inside the heads of the average American & how they view their elected officials: I suspect it's more water off a ducks back at this stage, given how these days it's more like the inside of a WWE ring than a house of governance, but I'd be curious if you have any stats or polls that might show an indication of embarrassment, antipathy or whatever.

No I have no data. Do you expect each poster to back up claims with data? It's boards.ie not a court room.

No I have no data. Do you expect each poster to back up claims with data? It's boards.ie not a court room.

Well then how do you expect anyone to take any notice of your claims? For weeks now you've been telling us that no one cares about any of this when it's quite clear that many do.

Kinda, you're often keen to declare that nobody cares, or ask why we in Ireland even debate this so *shrug*. It's a bold statement, so I was mostly curious if there was anything behind it, and if there has been any surveys done on "faith in politician" or that sort of thing that you know of. Trust or Faith in "the system" is a pertinent question at the minute in Western democracies, and given the theatrics of the US system it'd be an interesting to see if these gestures are a net positive or negative. I'd lean to a negative, given it's more likely to generate voter apathy IMO.

I'd say there's as many people proud, or at least respectful of Pelosi's gesture, as there are those embarrassed, or indeed outraged by this lapse in decorum.

This is the default of American politics: don't forget you're dealing with a House where giant cardboard props are a regular feature during debate. Tearing up some notes is just another Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't know, when you are dealing with an utterly childish character like Trump, I think it looks better to just emphasise the gap between his childishness and the maturity of the others, rather than responding in kind.

There has to be a part of America that thought 'We'll give Trump a chance' 4 years ago and has since watched him become increasingly petulant and incoherent. They are one of the groups of voters to be targeted, and I think it's better that their reaction be 'Jeez,what a child he is' rather than 'Jeez, what children they are.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

It ironic how republicans are so upset over Pelosi ripped up the speech considering their Senators literally ripped up their owne constitution and laws to enable the narcisscist in chief

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

She effectively took the steam completely from his speech with that one act.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

She’s a legend. That will really enrage him.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Hilarious.

I guarantee you we’ll see him rage tweeting about Nancy today.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the Fox News and daily mail websites.

It’s at the top of the page on both.

Checkmate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Hilarious.

Whats even juicier is that it's straight out the Trump playbook, pull off an unorthodox move to control the narrative and irk his opposition

I guarantee you we’ll see him rage tweeting about Nancy today.

He posts so much guff on twitter I don't even bother reading his tweets any more.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Whats even juicier is that it's straight out the Trump playbook, pull off an unorthodox move to control the narrative and irk his opposition

Trump does not have a playbook. He's a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Hilarious.

Would ya stop. She made an absolute show of herself and looked like a petulant child as she did it:

https://twitter.com/KashJackson2018/status/1224902153875214336
    FionnK86 wrote: »
    She’s a legend. That will really enrage him.

Why would that enrage Trump?? He'll be delighted that on a world stage Pelosi showed her true colours and came across just how he would want her to. Toys well and truly out of her pram and all because her attempt at removing Trump from office has been yet another democrat faceplant.

Not that she hasn't come across similarly before of course as she was telling the media not too long ago that she was prayerful about impeachment and yet then went on Bill Maher fistbumped him and whilst grinning like a Cheshire cat childishly suggested that Trump will be 'impeached foreva!' Yeah, very prayerful.

https://twitter.com/milesawaycu/status/1218432195892862976

Someone needs to tell Nancy that later today Donald Trump will be acquitted forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Would ya stop. She made an absolute show of herself and looked like a petulant child as she did it:

Why would that enrage Trump?? He'll be delighted that on a world stage Pelosi showed her true colours and came across just how he would want her to. Toys well and truly out of her pram and all because her attempt at removing Trump from office has been yet another democrat faceplant.

Not that she hasn't come across similarly before of course as she was telling the media not too long ago that she was prayerful about impeachment and yet then went on Bill Maher fistbumped him and whilst grinning like a Cheshire cat childishly suggested that Trump will be 'impeached foreva!' Yeah, very prayerful.

Someone needs to tell Nancy that later today Donald Trump will be acquitted forever.
    Since you're here Pete can you respond this this?
    duploelabs wrote: »
    Simple question Pete. what do you think Trump's flaws are? Both as a politician and as a human being

• Registered Users Posts: 25,546 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But still he has been impeached, forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

He pettily didn't shake her had yet this is what is getting attention? Yawn.

It was a silly act of Pelosi, we expect nonsense and foolishness from Trump, but we rightfully hold the Dems and most other sentient beings to a higher standard.

However you can't be an apologist for Trump and then criticize Pelosi for this, unless the concept of irony is completely wasted on you.

You're having a laugh; here, why don't you reply to that post I made yesterday about Kevin McCarthy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You're having a laugh; here, why don't you reply to that post I made yesterday about Kevin McCarthy instead.

No no. I want more nonsense backed up by the opinions of Trumpers as expressed via tweet. That pattern of posting nicely highlights to the world how his worldview gets "informed".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement