Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It was a very good speech from Romney.... an speech that is in stark contrast to his fellow republicans....
    Trump Jr has just tweeted that’s Romney is a bitter loser and should be thrown out of the Republican Party... I wonder what his daddy will say/tweet ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,590 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Two articles on CNN worth looking at this morning, difficult to argue with either of them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/politics/nancy-pelosi-rip-2020-state-of-the-union/index.html

Liberals celebrated Pelosi's move as an act of defiance -- a demonstration of the frustration, annoyance and contempt with which she (and they) viewed Trump's heavily political (and theatrical) speech. Conservatives (and Trump allies) seized on the moment as a sign of the petulance and childishness of both Pelosi and her party, still unable to come to grips with the fact that Trump is president.

Not only do the two parties disagree on the correct policy prescriptions to fix what ails the country -- nothing new there! -- but they also now simply detest one another. They struggle to spend time in the same room or even be cordial to one another

What I have found interesting about my various twitter, FB and forum feeds this morning has been the silence from one particular demographic. I have seen the above reactions from the folks on both sides. My ardent conservative friends are there going "She has shot herself in the foot with that embarassing move", whilst my strident progressive friends are all going "With that one move, she undermined the entire speech". The crowd I've noticed who are keeping their own counsel are the ones I find tend not to be particularly disposed towards partisanship. It's not being mentioned at all. It may not be as definitive and conclusive a gesture as either side claims.

The other is whether or not these people are paying any attention to it at all in the first place. For example, the below from CNN, but the BBC caught this play as well. https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/05/opinions/trump-state-of-the-union-iowa-caucus-jones/index.html

On the flip side, the comments Trump was clearly addressing to African-Americans can be effective -- and are a huge warning for Democrats, even if they do not want to hear it.

[...]

There is this liberal bubble that believes that 98% of black women and 81% of black men will always vote for the Democrat, as they did for Hillary Clinton in 2016, according to Pew. But what Trump said Tuesday night to black voters was this: look at my record and what I am doing for black people. He is going to narrowcast that message, and it only takes small margins to shatter the Democratic winning coalition.

On the one hand, you have Pelosi ripping his speech. The same speech in which he (accurately enough) observed a bunch of things that are going better for african-americans in the US.

98% of female black voters think he's racist, so....

Anyway, back to the impeached president who abused the power of his office to pressure a foreign country into announcing a bogus investigation into his political rival, Mitt Romney voted to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

Romney voting to impeach is meaningless, and tactical. I expr t one other GOP senator to vote for imoeachment also, possibly Murkowski or Collins who are both on extremely shaky ground as best I am aware. It definitely will it be both though, because that would mean less than 51 voting to not impeach.

This is all for show, nothing more and not really even worth acknowledging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

peddlelies wrote: »
    So the claims of dignity of the office and being morally superior are just political games then? Colour me shocked.

That kind of attitude doesn't win elections these days

If they go low ....you go lower

She should have burned the papers setting of the fire alarm ... ;)

It was a very good speech from Romney.... an speech that is in stark contrast to his fellow republicans....
    Trump Jr has just tweeted that’s Romney is a bitter loser and should be thrown out of the Republican Party... I wonder what his daddy will say/tweet ???

Well we were assured by Collins et al that Trump would never retaliate, so absolutely nothing will happen.... *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

weisses wrote: »
    That kind of attitude doesn't win elections these days

If they go low ....you go lower

She should have burned the papers setting of the fire alarm ... ;)

This is true of the US, sadly. A populace deserved the politicians it votes for.

The main reason they are in this mess is the bokmers outright rejection of anything that wasn't raeganism in the 1980s. Without that, you likely have no Clintons or Bush Jr either. And you probably don't wind up in the crazy place we have been for a few years that allowed Trump to get elected.

An electorate deserves those it chooses, and the baby boomers really have f***ed themselves and those behind them in incredible fashion. It does fortunately look like their younger generations may have more sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

For what it's worth, it strikes me that if Don had shaken Nancy's hand when she offered it to him, it would have taken away any from any symbolism in the tearing-up of his speech-paper, probably stopped her in her tracks, and definitely would have wrong-footed her. However that doesn't matter now as he gave her the chance to steal the limelight from him.

aloyisious wrote: »
    For what it's worth, it strikes me that if Don had shaken Nancy's hand when she offered it to him, it would have taken away any from any symbolism in the tearing-up of his speech-paper, probably stopped her in her tracks, and definitely would have wrong-footed her. However that doesn't matter now as he gave her the chance to steal the limelight from him.

30 million viewers less than last year, and we know there's one thing trump values, and that's ratings

everlast75 wrote: »
    30 million viewers less than last year, and we know there's one thing trump values, and that's ratings

It's also possible that she did it to "hook" him and he might take the bait after the impeachment vote comes in and go all mouthy, hang himself by providing evidence he withheld [remember his quote "we have it all"] despite advice from others to keep his cool. It doesn't have to mean the Dems might start the whole train again, just let him publicize it free of charge that they were right and Mitch wrong in refusing to make Don accountable for his actions. Nancy knows Dons' trigger-switches, keep goading him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good speech by Romney, pity it wasn't a bit closer to the election, it will all be forgotten by then. Im sure the next 6-7 months will have new heights of madness from this White House to make up for it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

48-52 to Trump's non conviction on article 1

duploelabs wrote: »

A bipartisan vote to remove him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Fair play to Romney. I realise it could be construed as an empty gesture, especially since he doesn't face re-election until 2024 but literally nobody else in the Republican party is calling a spade a spade and history will be kinder to him as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Probably look over to the stack of papers just sitting in Moscow Mitch's office that he doesn't bring to the senate. You understand how the American system works right?

Oh so you're defending her. Just so you know this is not the route she herself takes when challenged.
    She usually points to her own face, smiles and says " I'm a master legislator".
    I've actually seen her do this, for real. Classy or what, can you think of anyone else who'd talk about themselves in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Christy42

Oh so you're defending her. Just so you know this is not the route she herself takes when challenged.
    I've actually seen her do this, for real. Classy or what, can you think of anyone else who'd talk about themselves in this way.

That. That seems incredibly weak say e these days.

You seem to be ignoring the amount of work the Senate has not been doing. Seems to be Mitch is the problem in getting work done so as long as he doesn't call himself one it is ok. You seem to have switched from backing up your original argument (by the way Obamacare was an incredible achievement, you listed it as one of hers earlier). Even Republicans couldn't bring it down when they had all the power.

I am sure plenty of people in DC have high opinions of their ability in that area. If you are hinting at Trump for that last sentence I feel it involves a few too many syllables.

This tweet pretty much sums up the Reps comments on Trump and how he midbehaves even more, making them look stupid...

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1225097248020799488?s=19

Your grievances regarding Pelosi seems to stem from before the SOTU address.

The reason she is being discussed here is because she ripped up a vile, lie filled, racist piece of propaganda. Whoopdy do.

Trump gave a bigoted, sexist racist the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the same event, but tell me more about how much what Pelosi did that offends you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nothing less than the word "farce" sums this whole mess up. The whole impeachment process isn't fit for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump will be mad at Romney and Pelosi stealing his limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Water John wrote: »

Romney/Pelosi 2020 Double ticket ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That's the dog and pony show over. The GOP proved they are spineless hypocrites, except for Romney. This rationale of "Yeah, he did it, so what?" is laughable.

Morally, I think the Dems were correct to impeach Trump. But I fear he's just been handed 4 more years.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That's the dog and pony show over. The GOP proved they are spineless hypocrites, except for Romney. This rationale of "Yeah, he did it, so what?" is laughable.

Morally, I think the Dems were correct to impeach Trump. But I fear he's just been handed 4 more years.

And of they didn't impeach him? He would have ran on it *still* being the perfect call. Now people know it was nowhere near perfect.

We had witness after witness in the House who proved that.

We have in plain sight evidence of him obstructing witnesses from testifying in the Senate.

We have Bolton, an experienced conservative Republican slating him and being blocked by trump.

We now have for the first time in history a bi partisan vote to remove a president.

Trump becomes the first president in history to be impeached in his first term.

We have droves of elected Republicans retiring.

It was 100% worth it and investigations are ongoing.

The presidency gets worse for trump each day - not better. The scandals are not going away.

Meanwhile, as more evidence that Trump would never threaten to put the head of a senator who voted against him on a pike...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225203837226700800?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Trump has posted a few anti Romney tweets which is a typical example of how childish and predictable he is.

Water John wrote: »

Worth noting that Romney only voted for the first article (obstruction of justice) and not both

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm pointing out how it works for you. Legislation on many, many things has passed in the House and been sent to the Senate. There it sits. That is on Moscow Mitch, not Nancy Pelosi. You know him? The grim reaper? Have you heard him wear that one with pride? Can you think of anyone else who would talk about themselves in that way?

And yes, I can definitely think of one other prominent US politician who would refer to himself as a master of everything actually. He even knows the best words, makes perfect phonecalls, finds things like comprehensive health care plans and trade deals really easy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Worth noting that Romney only voted for the first article (obstruction of justice) and not both

Was the first not abuse of power? The second being obstruction of Congress?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Was the first not abuse of power? The second being obstruction of Congress?

Yes, whoops

Re the DNC and how it gets the States-wide committees and caucuses to get their act together and work better for the candidate and party in the time leading up to Nov, is there any word on how they will ensure the candidate WILL BE TOLD that ALL the states will be visited and not take the peoples vote for granted as in the 2016 election? Reading some of the posters posts here, its fairly ok to believe there are some US resident voters present who can give an unbiased answer.

I'm looking at Manic Morans mention of the black American vote and any assumption that it's seen as a sure thing AND at the apparent Dem "it'll be all right on the night" attitude towards the new caucus vote reporting system [part 1 & 2] used in Iowa. Will a casual assumption that its not necessary to keep the shoulder to the wheel end with Don saying "I told you so" in Jan 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Brian? wrote: »

Nah, they simply did what the constitution requires of them. That the republicans chose to abdicate that responsibility is their own failure.

Anyway, the Senate outcome was already known. But this is just the first skirmish in a long battle, with the main events still to come.

It will be a waiting game for the SC decisions, but they *should* paint Trump and his supporters into an impossible position while preparing for an election. There may not be a need for further articles: there may be enough to simply jail him after he loses the election.

• Advertisement

Ref my last above, I'm also taking it for granted that the GOP party as a whole is not a pure Trump faction where US politics is concerned. There must be more people in it like-minded to its future like Senators McCain and Romney, outside of its Trump faction so what of you: are you going to ensure that the GOP, as evinced leadership-wise by its Washington group loyal solely to Trump, will change track and move out of the Trump dead-end or will you follow him and them to the bitter end?

Regarding their swearing an oath of loyalty on a specific book in the same breath they use to speak the praises of Don Trump with, what say you of their honesty and right to hold office on the basis of upholding an oath of office?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement