Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

CNN just reported that Don tweeted he'll be making a live TV briefing in the next hour or two to brief the US on the coronavirus medical situation there. The briefing is unscheduled. Given his past practice, he might break off into other topics during the briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

He said nothing of the sort and that you (collective you) have to resort to these lies is very telling. Once again anti-Trumpers and the MSM quote Trump totally out of context just so that they can misrepresent what he has said and express faux outrage and concern over it. Yawn.

It was CRYSTAL bloody clear that the "new hoax" he referenced was that the "Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus" so that they can then say his administration aren't doing a good job in tackling it. THAT is what he called their "new hoax" and quite CLEARLY too, his comments were not remotely ambiguous.

He also then said that they would do "everything in their power" to keep the numbers down:

But wait, Trump thinks the virus is a hoax (according to the anti-Trump regulars on here) and so why would he speak about his administration doing 'everything in their power' it so, if the virus is just a hoax? Hhmm think77.png

Hang on, you're suggesting that if people believe Trump saying something which he didn't say, they're insane? Haha, the irony :P
    Do you understand what the word hoax means? Because applying your use of the word to what Trump said makes absolutely no sense.

As press conferences go, I'd have to say the Admin aced that one. Pure teamwork with Don stepping out and others stepping in to answer questions, even with one cutting in to answer a question from the floor just as Don started answering it, [no fluster, just an "excuse me?, on his part"] before literally stepping aside from the rostrum to let the O/P answer it. No rowing with the journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Disparaging a whole set of people as insane is offensive.

Calling the deaths of thousands a hoax is offensive.

Saying we shouldn't take the person in charge of a response to this issue, to these potential deaths, too seriously is offensive.

People are dying across the world from this and the US only has someone praying for a miracle in charge here. That is offensive.

As I asked. Which group are you going to defend? Those who believe that the deaths of many is a hoax? Or the ones who believe that all those deaths aren't a big deal. Both sets are offensive to me. So which or both are you defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

aloyisious wrote: »
    CNN just reported that Don tweeted he'll be making a live TV briefing in the next hour or two to brief the US on the coronavirus medical situation there. The briefing is unscheduled. Given his past practice, he might break off into other topics during the briefing.

7/4 he blames Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As press conferences go, I'd have to say the Admin aced that one. Pure teamwork with Don stepping out and others stepping in to answer questions, even with one cutting in to answer a question from the floor just as Don started answering it, [no fluster, just an "excuse me?, on his part"] before literally stepping aside from the rostrum to let the O/P answer it. No rowing with the journalists.
    Yes; especially the great part were Trump said that it was a 50 year old woman who died when it was a man; good to see he's on top of things as always as it inspires great confidence.

Nody wrote: »
    Yes; especially the great part were Trump said that it was a 50 year old woman who died when it was a man; good to see he's on top of things as always.

Oh ****. I'd been following various news sources, thought it was a woman myself as a result. I saw him reference previous presidents over Afghanistan, missed the reference to Obama, should have put the TV on pause while seeing to other needs.

How did the info-feed get it so wrong on the patients vital details, Don was following the script feed so faithfully.

Given this is a weekend in which the Dems held their South Carolina caucus and Don holding a rally there, it's hardly coincidental that Don Jnr launched his provocation attempt suggesting the Dem Party wanted to harm Dons re-election campaign by way of the deaths of millions of American citizens from the coronavirus. Placing that alongside todays live TV media briefing, one might wonder is there a media wunderkid in the house? I know that Don had a former female member of his staff return from the Fox Corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

Given this is a weekend in which the Dems held their South Carolina caucus and Don holding a rally there, it's hardly coincidental that Don Jnr launched his provocation attempt suggesting the Dem Party wanted to harm Dons re-election campaign by way of the deaths of millions of American citizens from the coronavirus. Placing that alongside todays live TV media briefing, one might wonder is there a media wunderkid in the house? I know that Don had a former female member of his staff return from the Fox Corporation.
    Maybe you're right to be suspicious ,but I thought it was established in his impeachment trial (and implicitly before) that anything that serves to promote his re-election is justifiable

It is hard to point out the faults in a campaign that stoops to any depths to achieve its aims ,( plus, don't they all do it)

Icarus flew too close to the Sun but this gob*** may hopefully one day fly too deep into the gutter.

(Or perhaps the economy will do for him -and them-if C19 has a lasting impact
    ....)

amandstu wrote: »
    Maybe you're right to be suspicious ,but I thought it was established in his impeachment trial (and implicitly before) that anything that serves to promote his re-election is justifiable

It is hard to point out the faults in a campaign that stoops to any depths to achieve its aims ,( plus, don't they all do it)

This response is NOT directed at you but more at what can be called dyed-in-the-wool types. I have flashbacks to the "have you no shame" question put to a GOP Senator during his attack against a regular stalwart of the US and its constitution, itself a version of Sam Jackson's quote "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" April 7th, 1775.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Do you understand what the word hoax means? Because applying your use of the word to what Trump said makes absolutely no sense.

It's not my use of the word, it's Trump's, and yes I am well aware of what the word means. From the OED:
    "Hoax: an act intended to make somebody believe something that is not true"

For the last four weeks the democrats have being doing just that: going out of their way to make somebody (the public) believe something which is not true (that the Trump administration are badly dealing with the coronavirus).

Now (given your political views) I'm sure you don't feel Trump is being grammatically correct when he calls what the democrats have been engaging in as 'a hoax', fine - you don't have to, but either what that is what he was CLEARLY referring to. Nobody could genuinely believe that he was saying the virus itself was the democrat's new hoax given what he said before and right after. It's an absolute absurdity and that the left so easily resort to this nonsense is quite frightening, it truly is.

You don't have to like Trump to call out this kind of underhanded nonsense. It would be nice to read some moderate views on this thread occasionally, from people who perhaps don't like Trump but still and all don't like this sort of malicious misrepresentation either.

The media of course just had to put this nonsense to him earlier of course.

https://twitter.com/AKA_RealDirty/status/1233917093902462976

What "Outlaw Pete" is saying is that if a president is doing a manifestly terrible job of protecting the citizens of his country from a pandemic, nobody should utter a word of criticism.

Firsty, Trump is not doing a terrible job at protecting the citizens of the US and to say as much is going a long way to proving his point, as you are clearing just parroting that nonsense as that is what you're being fed by the leftist media. The same media who four weeks ago when Trump was busy putting together the coronavirus task force, were more focused on the colour of their skin than anything else:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1222964716320018436

Secondly, I have ZERO problem with Trump being criticised for things which is has actually said or actually done. I am taking issue with a lie.

Firsty, Trump is not doing a terrible job at protecting the citizens of the US and to say as much is going a long way to proving his point, as you are clearing just parroting that nonsense as that is what you're being fed by the leftist media

Explain his treatment of the HHS whistleblower then.
    Explain why he put federl workers in harms way without proper training or protection.
    Explain the lack of testing kits when other countries are testing on a massive scale.
    Explain why he crippled his own pandemic response unit.
    Explain his going against his own CDC in repatriating infected people from Japan.
    Explain why he put an anti-science creep who exacerbated the spread of HIV in Indiana in charge of dealing with Coronavirus.
    Explain how his Homeland security chief didn't know the difference in death rates between ordinary flu and Coronavirus.
    Explain the disinformation in saying the situation is under control.
    Explain why he and others are calling this issue a hoax.

Remember, in your little attempt earlier to dispute that Trump had not called the issue a hoax, you actually linked to a video which stated that he did just that.

Ah yeah, everybody is brainwashed apart from yerself, who has special powers.

Remember, in your little attempt earlier to dispute that Trump had not called the issue a hoax..

That was not an "attempt". I proved Trump did say what it was said he did with that video.
    you actually linked to a video which stated that he did just that.

/faceplam

Are you actually referencing the title of the video? :p

I linked to the clip as it shows what Trump actually said. I didn't think anyone would actually not use their own ears and go by the title instead, but here we are it seems.

Yes, the Telegraph labelled the video to suggest Trump had said something which he had not also. They did so in print too by the way, here you go:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1233655773999357954

However, it's horse bollox as again: he said nothing of the sort no matter what they claim.
    Ah yeah, everybody is brainwashed apart from yerself, who has special powers.

No "special powers" needed to listen and it's far from just myself who called out this lie today, and if you maybe got your news from sources other the the leftist MSM you would know that.

Hell, even Facebook have called out the lie for what it was:

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

That was not an "attempt". I proved Trump did say what it was said he did with that video.

/faceplam

Are you actually referencing the title of the video? :p

I linked to the clip as it shows what Trump actually said. I didn't think anyone would actually not use their own ears and go by the title instead, but here we are it seems.

Yes, the Telegraph labelled the video to suggest Trump had said something which he had not also. They did so in print too by the way, here you go:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1233655773999357954

However, it's horse bollox as again: he said nothing of the sort no matter what they claim.

No "special powers" needed to listen and it's far from just myself who called out this lie today, and if you maybe got your news from sources other the the leftist MSM you would know that.

Hell, even Facebook have called out the lie for what it was:

So full of it.

Everything you disagree with is the leftist msm.

Facebook on the other hand can be totally trusted as per your comments.

Are you serious? We can't cite nearly all the media but you can cite Facebook?

Regarding the virus.

The response has been muddled so far. That's clear for everyone to see.

This is a case where gvt agencies are very important. Trump's been trying to gut this one. That's clear for everyone to see.

Downplaying the seriousness of this outbreak doesn't help. That's clear to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

It's not my use of the word, it's Trump's, and yes I am well aware of what the word means. From the OED:

For the last four weeks the democrats have being doing just that: going out of their way to make somebody (the public) believe something which is not true (that the Trump administration are badly dealing with the coronavirus).

Now (given your political views) I'm sure you don't feel Trump is being grammatically correct when he calls what the democrats have been engaging in as 'a hoax', fine - you don't have to, but either what that is what he was CLEARLY referring to. Nobody could genuinely believe that he was saying the virus itself was the democrat's new hoax given what he said before and right after. It's an absolute absurdity and that the left so easily resort to this nonsense is quite frightening, it truly is.

You don't have to like Trump to call out this kind of underhanded nonsense. It would be nice to read some moderate views on this thread occasionally, from people who perhaps don't like Trump but still and all don't like this sort of malicious misrepresentation either.

The media of course just had to put this nonsense to him earlier of course.

https://twitter.com/AKA_RealDirty/status/1233917093902462976

It isn't misrepresentation. You have to crucify the English language to get to your interpretation. If you want to say the Dems are politicising the it then fine. Say that. But the word hoax doesn't fit in there, the only hoax fits in is if you are calling the virus a hoax. Now given how badly you have to twist the language to get to your interpretation. How sure are you it is correct?

And yes I expect the US president to be able to pass on his thoughts without a translator every bloody time.

Anyway given there is a list of his failures in this one incident. Can you explain why putting US citizens lives at risk is not an issue that should affect the presidential race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One of the main downsides to being a blowhard ignoramus is that it will always come back to bite you in the ass...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/522394479429689344?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

everlast75 wrote: »
    One of the main downsides to being a blowhard ignoramus is that it will always come back to bite you in the ass...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/522394479429689344?s=19

Along with this beauty

https://twitter.com/ofchus/status/1232461766203826176?s=09

My bet is that it won't be long until Trump (and the rest of his bat**** crazy party) is saying that the Coronavirus is a conspiracy invented by George Soros and the left to bring him down.

While claiming that that's not what he's saying - backed up by an army of internet trolls including some here who will write interminable messages about word semantics to claim he is being victimised.

Putin 101.

Sure look at this tweet last night from an actual Republican candidate for Congress.

ER7CuVTUEAAs98_?format=jpg&name=large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is quite the form of cognitive dissonance: I don't believe that tweet is real, yet at the same time, totally do. The Deep State conspiracy is quite a pernicious poison, albeit one that has its roots in that lingering sense of aggressive individualism & distrust many Americans maintain. Don't think they'll ever excise that rampant distrust of any sense of Statehood, even if ironically they're equally proud of their nation.

Of course, we can't be calling these people insane. No no, that's just outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

pixelburp wrote: »
    This is quite the form of cognitive dissonance: I don't believe that tweet is real, yet at the same time, totally do. The Deep State conspiracy is quite a pernicious poison, albeit one that has its roots in that lingering sense of aggressive individualism & distrust many Americans maintain. Don't think they'll ever excise that rampant distrust of any sense of Statehood, even if ironically they're equally proud of their nation.

Of course, we can't be calling these people insane. No no, that's just outrageous.

Heres another from her blaming Gates, Soros, Clinton's.

It is real. I saw it right there on her Twitter page last night, the tweet has since been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It is real. I saw it right there on her Twitter page last night, the tweet has since been removed.

No doubt she had more than a few glasses of wine on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

No doubt she had more than a few glasses of wine on board.

No, I'd say she was stony sober. That's how Republicans are now thinking. It must be dreadful to live in such a paranoid and deluded world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Scottish MP calling for an investigation into where Trump got the money to finance golf course real-estate purchases. Seems like the Bank of Scotland wouldn't loan it to him, so... was it a suitcase full of pounds from a dropoff from an airplane? https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/scottish-mp-suggests-president-trump-is-involved-in-serious-crime-eric-trump-says-thats-libelous/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Igotadose wrote: »
    Scottish MP calling for an investigation into where Trump got the money to finance golf course real-estate purchases. Seems like the Bank of Scotland wouldn't loan it to him, so... was it a suitcase full of pounds from a dropoff from an airplane? https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/scottish-mp-suggests-president-trump-is-involved-in-serious-crime-eric-trump-says-thats-libelous/

That's the club supposedly haemorrhaging money, isn't it? Or is that Doonbeg - or both? Given the tattle over Trump's financing around 2008+, and general inability to get banks to give him money, I just presume his various assets are swimming in (at best) grey money.

That's the club supposedly haemorrhaging money, isn't it? Or is that Doonbeg - or both? Given the tattle over Trump's financing around 2008+, and general inability to get banks to give him money, I just presume his various assets are swimming in (at best) grey money.
    Didn't Trump fire all the staff at Doonbeg and hire them back on minimum wage, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    No, I'd say she was stony sober. That's how Republicans are now thinking. It must be dreadful to live in such a paranoid and deluded world.

Totally sober and still responding to peoples replies about it. No evidence of course and now just saying "All I said it that I wouldn’t put it past them"

The Nal wrote: »
    Totally sober and still responding to peoples replies about it. No evidence of course and now just saying "All I said it that I wouldn’t put it past them"

She probably regrets writing the first two sentences on the tweet as they are statements of fact, not whatifery.

• Advertisement

How can anybody remotely defend this?

How did the Republican party end up in a situation where one of its core tenets is the denial of democracy to minorities?
    Texas closes hundreds of polling sites, making it harder for minorities to vote
    Guardian analysis finds that places where black and Latino population is growing by the largest numbers experienced the majority of closures and could benefit Republicans

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement