Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

How did the Republican party end up in a situation where one of its core tenets is the denial of democracy
    Because it's the only way they can win - by cheating.

"Democracy" me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

serfboard wrote: »
    Because it's the only way they can win - by cheating.

"Democracy" me arse.

Absolutely.

And I haven't seen one Republican or Trump supporter attempt to genuinely engage with the point. Ever.

The Republican party is not interested in democracy. It's only interested in kleptocracy and desperately protecting untramelled corporate power and privilege and white privilege.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's the club supposedly haemorrhaging money, isn't it? Or is that Doonbeg - or both? Given the tattle over Trump's financing around 2008+, and general inability to get banks to give him money, I just presume his various assets are swimming in (at best) grey money.

Very few of his Golf Clubs are profitable, if any- That was why he was trying to pull the stroke to get the G7 conference held at Doral - It's losing money hand over fist..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Very few of his Golf Clubs are profitable, if any- That was why he was trying to pull the stroke to get the G7 conference held at Doral - It's losing money hand over fist..

If their purpose is to launder money rather than actually turn profits, then that wouldn't present much of a problem for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

There is evidence that these clubs are losing money. That raises suspicion. But Trump won't disclose his financial records. That raises more suspicion.

So, either Trump is a victim of poor optics and everything is above board (which if it were purely an optics issue would make him the most unfortunate person in the planet) or something is not right.

Objectively - is has to be one or the other, and I know which one seems more likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Senator Ron Johnson [R] chair of the Senate Homeland Security committee is planning to issue the first subpoena of its probe into Hunter Biden and Ukrainian Energy Burisma holdings. It might help reveal what Rudy has been doing for the past 2 months he's been silent in Ukraine. It's not the justice committee but the homeland committee so that is a pointer to what the Republican Party want to come at it from. The response from Don to people declining the invites should be fun as Joe is also on the list.

https://www.archyde.com/republican-senator-issues-first-subpoena-in-hunter-biden-burisma-probe/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump says a vaccine for Covid 19 coming soon, WTF. His chief medical guy says 12-18 months at the earliest. Would you or even could you stop lying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Water John wrote: »
    Trump says a vaccine for Covid 19 coming soon, WTF. His chief medical guy says 12-18 months at the earliest. Would you or even could you stop lying?

I'm not following the discourse between the two, but as least one vaccine already exists.

https://time.com/5790545/first-covid-19-vaccine/
    Moderna Therapeutics, a biotech company based in Cambridge, Mass., has shipped the first batches of its COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine was created just 42 days after the genetic sequence of the COVID_19 virus, called SARS-CoV-2, was released by Chinese researchers in mid-January. The first vials were sent to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, MD, which will ready the vaccine for human testing as early as April.

The Israelis also claim to be close to their own one.
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/israel-migal-covid-19-vaccine/
    Scientists at MIGAL Research Institute in Israel expect to start producing a Covid-19 vaccine in the next eight-ten weeks, based on their avian coronavirus Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV) vaccine. [...]MIGAL Galilee Research Institute CEO David Zigdon said: “Given the urgent global need for a human coronavirus vaccine, we are doing everything we can to accelerate development. Our goal is to produce the vaccine during the next eight to ten weeks and to achieve safety approval in 90 days

I suspect the devil is going to be in the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Certainly, the testing that will need to be done on any potential vaccine will take time also.

I would't expect one in the next 12 months for sure, regardless of what Trump says. I would expect he would quite happily shove through one that hasn't been properly trialed and approved though.

If they have one ready for human testing by May that would be some achievement tbh. I'd be very wary of a fast tracked one however, the temptation to cut corners is there and I simply don't trust the Trump administration at all to be forthright and above board.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'm not following the discourse between the two, but as least one vaccine already exists.

https://time.com/5790545/first-covid-19-vaccine/

The Israelis also claim to be close to their own one.
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/israel-migal-covid-19-vaccine/

I suspect the devil is going to be in the details.

Including which country is willing to use its citizens as guinea pigs. If the Chinese agree with their citizens being used, or reveal the results if they've already done so, seeing as they supplied the anti-virus to the US. I wonder if its a derivative of anything they used to fight Sars-1. In any case, I hope it works to reduce the deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Chris Matthews gone from MSNBC, cancel culture in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

peddlelies wrote: »

For the nazi thing ?
    He isn’t exactly in is prime though ? He does sound a bit flustered at times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Water John wrote: »

Nothing but lies to try and halt the slide on Wall street. He's far more fixated on that than the virus.

Didn't he quit? How is that demonstrative of a "cancel culture"?

Anyway, it appears we are slip sliding evermore towards a north Korean level of pacification and obsequiousness. It's beyond pathetic

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1234669242131206144?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

everlast75 wrote: »
    Didn't he quit? How is that demonstrative of a "cancel culture"?

He quit just like Nixon did.

A woman recently said he made inappropriate comments to her. He was on the air 20 years, long time in that business.

A woman recently said he made inappropriate comments to her. He was on the air 20 years, long time in that business.

Maybe we should take his word fot it?

https://twitter.com/farhip/status/1234635233108074500?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But how can Trump not be a great patriot, look how much he loves the flag! Really, ... uh, really ... loving. That flag. Jesus.

If I remember my history right, I think we can sorta-kinda blame the anti-war hippies of the 60s, IIRC they're the ones who made the trivialisation of the US flag commonplace; before then, it was considered sacrilege and indecent to not treat the flag with dignity - and you'd certainly not wear Star n' Stripes boxers. The anti-war protestors wore US flag t-shirts as an anti-establishment pushback. Fast forward 50 years and we have a flag being touched without its consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

^ Expect a 'Me Too' campaign from other flags abused for political purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aside from the recent accusations against his conduct (which he admits to), he also mixed up two different black politicians, the Nazi comparison to Bernie Sanders' support, and his car crash of an interview with Elizabeth Warren... Matthews was digging a hole for himself and just wasn't up to the job any more regardless.

Unlike Shep Smith, one of Trump's only critics on his favourite news station who was forced out at Fox News a few days after Bill Barr met with Rupert Murdoch despite the fact that unlike Chris Matthews, Smith wasn't accused of any wrongdoing. Not to mention Smith had decent viewing figures in his timeslot and compared to many other Fox News hosts.

Don't remember you complaining about Shep Smith being 'cancelled'.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Englo

My guess is it had more to do with his calling Bernie Sanders and his supporters nazis. MSNBC have been very clear that they do not have much interest in covering the primaries in an unbiased manner, but calling a Jewish man who lost a lot of family members to the Holocaust a Nazi is really one of the worst ways possible to go about it.

• Advertisement

The Fed has lowered interest rates .5 of a percentage point so that might help keep Don happy with it [after his comments about reductions in rates yesterday] for a while though whether that will calm the unsettled market and stop sell-off of shares isn't certain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

aloyisious wrote: »
    The Fed has lowered interest rates .5 of a percentage point so that might help keep Don happy with it [after his comments about reductions in rates yesterday] for a while though whether that will calm the unsettled market and stop sell-off of shares isn't certain yet.

The Dow is down 700 points now??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The Dow is down 700 points now??

Well the theory holds that aloicious is correct. They are cutting rates to try stimulate growth/prevent a major drop/recession.

But from what I can gather, the market is pricing in further cuts before the end of the year, which implies that 0.5% is not yet enough and there is a way to go yet.

Also, the american markets maybe were living in a bit of dreamland thinking, coronavirus is affecting the rest of the world, but not them. This move by the Fed potentially brings the reality of the situation home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Big night tonight for the Democrats. ..

Now that Buttigieg, Klobuchar and Steyr are out of the Dem race, Super Tuesday should be very interesting. ..

Biden should do very well from anyone previously supportive of Pete and Amy.

Bloomberg's finally in the ring and we'll see how much his mega -millions ad spend will have done for him. ..

Bernie's support will be hardened because of the all-out canvassing against his no 1 position. ..

Trump is going to be tearing his orange hair out if Bernie doesn't do well. He REALLY wants to see Sanders get the nomination. ..

It's gonna be a late night folks. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Englo

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Trump is going to be tearing his orange hair out if Bernie doesn't do well. He REALLY wants to see Sanders get the nomination. ..

It's gonna be a late night folks. ...
    Not really sure why we keep hearing this despite Sanders pretty consistently polling better against him than any other candidate, despite Trump being noted to have expressed his relief Sanders didn't win in 2016, and despite the fact Sanders clearly can tap the lower wage populist angle better than any of the other candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Englo wrote: »
    Not really sure why we keep hearing this despite Sanders pretty consistently polling better against him than any other candidate, despite Trump being noted to have expressed his relief Sanders didn't win in 2016, and despite the fact Sanders clearly can tap the lower wage populist angle better than any of the other candidates?

Sanders will appeal to the left leaning voters, but will not be as appealing to centrist undecideds. That's the group who will decide the next election and Trump's camp knows that. Hence, they are hoping that Sanders becomes the Dem nominee in hopes that he will alienate that middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

^ Expect a 'Me Too' campaign from other flags abused for political purposes.

The Ivory Coast is going to have something to say about bonfires and the North.

So huge gains for Biden then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

kowloon wrote: »
    So huge gains for Biden then?

Yeah. This is going to go to the convention in July and it'll be Biden.

Trump is going to wipe the floor with Creepy Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. This is going to go to the convention in July and it'll be Biden.

Trump is going to wipe the floor with Creepy Joe.

Can we please stop with copying the idiotic nicknames?

I would prefer we had a higher standard than the US president given how low a bar it is.

How a man who talked of wanting to date his own daughter gets away with calling someone else creepy is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Christy42 wrote: »
    How a man who talked of wanting to date his own daughter gets away with calling someone else creepy is beyond me.

Because most American political candidacies, and indeed political careers, are founded upon a meticulously-constructed perception of good character. Traditionally, you could not have skeletons in the closet and not expect them to be exposed, and when they are exposed, it becomes a scandal. Joe Biden is typical of that approach.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, has so many skeletons in his closet that any clothes are hard to spot, and he says or does something controversial almost every day. In fact, he does or says crazy stuff multiple times a day.

There are a couple of things going on, here. One is that because of the volume of stuff Trump does or says is so high, no one individual thing really matters. It's the old bed of nails trick. Secondly, and in my opinion more importantly, Trump's message completely overrides any and all personal flaws with his voters. His message is a visceral one. It may be one of lies and darkness, but it taps into something that makes a certain portion of the electorate go, "This is my guy. That's it. This is my guy."

In other words, Trump and Biden are playing two entirely different political games. The question remains how many are willing to play along in 2020.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement