Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

SNIP. Do not just paste tweets here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/justice-department-must-disclose-secret-mueller-grand-jury-evidence-to-congress/2020/03/10/db60e338-3c66-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html

The Justice Department must release to congressional Democrats secret grand jury evidence lawmakers are seeking in ongoing investigations into President Trump, a federal appeals court in Washington ruled Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Both Sanders and Biden campaigns have cancelled their rallies tonight due to the virus outbreak. The campaign managers will reveal more later about the campaign plans. I have to wonder if the other major candidate will do likewise.

Meantime NY's Governor is setting aside an area specific to the outbreak, whether for testing or treatment isn't clear yet. Mention was made of the use of the National Guard in connection with this, it might be Medical Corp and Field Hospital units deployment.The CDC doesn't know how many Americans have been tested for the virus, though its unclear why as yet. Last week US media reports had 6,000 Americans as tested and waiting for the results, though the reports didn't specify if the number was for NY or nationwide.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

everlast75 wrote: »
    Just thought it was a vastly more important and concerning point than the type of uniform he was wearing.

Well, Aloysious thought it was worth mentioning the uniform, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Big problems for Trump and the US.

To get through this crisis, countries need to

1: trust scientists and experts
    2: have a functioning well funded state services
    3: be socially cohesive

Trump has been driving the US in exactly the opposite direction. Encouraging scepticism and denial of scientists and experts, defunding and gutting state services, creating a very divided country.

I'm not sure which way this will go but the US is in a very very bad current state in terms of the demands of this crisis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Midlife wrote: »
    Big problems for Trump and the US.

To get through this crisis, countries need to

1: trust scientists and experts
    2: have a functioning well funded state services
    3: be socially cohesive

Trump has been driving the US in exactly the opposite direction. Encouraging scepticism and denial of scientists and experts, defunding and gutting state services, creating a very divided country.

I'm not sure which way this will go but the US is in a very very bad current state in terms of the demands of this crisis

Doesn't each state decide the response for their own state to a certain extent. America is a federal state after all. The president doesn't have all the influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The country like many others will be, in crisis. Trump is no leader to deal with such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Doesn't each state decide the response for their own state to a certain extent. America is a federal state after all. The president doesn't have all the influence.

He doesn't but something as basic as a clear message that doesn't contradict the CDC would definitely help. It's not a lot to ask. A pass-level intercert student could manage it.

Well, Aloysious thought it was worth mentioning the uniform, for whatever reason.

An error on my part. I assumed the Surgeon General was a US Navy Officer due to his job and judgement in assessing the health of the president and took it that his clothing was a Naval officers uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

aloyisious wrote: »
    An error on my part. I assumed the Surgeon General was a US Navy Officer due to his job and judgement in assessing the health of the president and took it that his clothing was a Naval officers uniform.

It is. Just the emblems, badges etc are different and depict the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, which quite bizarrely is one of the 8 uniformed services of the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He lacks authority, not influence. I think he just needs to keep his mouth shut and resist to urge to tweet. I don't think he can.

I'd often quote what the media reports on when it comes to Don and his campaign. I read one a few minutes ago in The Independent about Don supposedly fearing that a journalist would deliberately catch the coronavirus in order to pass it on to him on Air Force1. The Independent copied that last and the next part “He’s definitely melting down over this,” the source, who is said to be close to the administration, said, from Vanity Fair magazine. The Independent report said the White House had been approached for comments on the claims but had not yet replied.

As journalism goes, that seems very weak, making it look like The Independent is relying on a third-hand source "said to be close to the administration" quoted by Vanity Fair and not verifying the story from its own sources. This is what gives Don a stick with which to beat up the press with claims of "Fake News".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

He would need to start acting more like a President and less like a goon.

If he got infected or thought he was infected it ( well words fail)

This epidemic might be a political godsend to the Americans as it might allow them to regain something of a common purpose .. at a cost.

And the same might apply here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Poor Jeff.

Who would have thought doing something ethical would have put him in Trump's bad books.

Loyalty is a one way street my friend...

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1237560365929476096?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

everlast75 wrote: »

Whatever about the content, the presentation of this opinion piece is worthy of note and is one of the reasons why most Europeans find the whole Trump 'thing' such a mystery.

Its one thing to have a good looking, well presented person reading the news, but this level of hair flicking bimboism should be counterproductive. Her manner of speaking with its syntho reasonableness and pouty disappointment is nauseating. It does sound a lot like Trump when he gets into one of his slack mouthed whispery 'love me, believe me' speaches - it doesn't matter what he says, it is the brainless platitudes of facebook come live.

The Fox News audience have accepted and embrace the Newspeak of the Trump administration, his 'base' chooses to live in 1984

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But isn't that exactly why she is there? She is talking to her audience, not to you or me. Hannity was on last night talking about whether Biden would win in a fight with Putin or push ups with KJU?

The way to defeat Trump is not through talking to his supporters. We have plenty of evidence on this thread that solid points and showing the hypocrisy has little impact. The only way is for the DNC to coalesce behind whatever candidate is selected (it looks increasingly like Biden) regardless or how they feel they have lost out.

The battle is about winning POTUS, and unlike 2016 all those opposed to Trump need to focus on that one goal. Because Trump and his supporters are certainly focused on that one goal.

Although, how any journalist can look back at themselves after presenting that is beyond me. Does she not have any professional, or even personal, pride?

looksee wrote: »
    Whatever about the content, the presentation of this opinion piece is worthy of note and is one of the reasons why most Europeans find the whole Trump 'thing' such a mystery.

Its one thing to have a good looking, well presented person reading the news, but this level of hair flicking bimboism should be counterproductive. Her manner of speaking with its syntho reasonableness and pouty disappointment is nauseating. It does sound a lot like Trump when he gets into one of his slack mouthed whispery 'love me, believe me' speaches - it doesn't matter what he says, it is the brainless platitudes of facebook come live.

The Fox News audience have accepted and embrace the Newspeak of the Trump administration, his 'base' chooses to live in 1984

"Presentation" and presentation of "facts" is all important when it comes to propaganda. Fox "news" studios isn't a news station, majorly a group of :eek: actors who won't see the flash of news gold at the core of their product.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But isn't that exactly why she is there? She is talking to her audience, not to you or me. Hannity was on last night talking about whether Biden would win in a fight with Putin or push ups with KJU?

The way to defeat Trump is not through talking to his supporters. We have plenty of evidence on this thread that solid points and showing the hypocrisy has little impact. The only way is for the DNC to coalesce behind whatever candidate is selected (it looks increasingly like Biden) regardless or how they feel they have lost out.

The battle is about winning POTUS, and unlike 2016 all those opposed to Trump need to focus on that one goal. Because Trump and his supporters are certainly focused on that one goal.

Although, how any journalist can look back at themselves after presenting that is beyond me. Does she not have any professional, or even personal, pride?

The polls shown by CNN taken of Dem voters at the end of voting at last nights caucuses in the different states had the voters putting getting Don out of office ahead of the other wants on the polling lists. That seemed to indicate the voters themselves see that as the important item, with the choice of candidate a follow-up. They see Biden as the best way to get Trump out of the office, like you've pointed out above. The thing now is for the DNC to carry out the wishes of their base.

Re the presentation, that's the thing, Fox News has presenters not journalists.

Leroy42 wrote: »

Oh yes, I am not disputing that at all. My post was a bit of an aside about the 'thought' processes of his followers. There is a whole swathe of people that fall for this kind of presentation.

Usually the popular vote is for the protester, the loud-mouth painting word pictures of taking over the establishment. Trump got in on some of that but he has been so busy with the jibes, the whinging and the self-aggrandisement that he has not been able to offer any proposals of where the country might go. And his base doesn't seem to care about the lack of a plan, they just like the echo chamber of thought-free waffle. Its very reminiscent of the more cloyingly sentimental, self righteous bits of facebook.

They are a lost cause; the job now is to round up the 'don't know, don't care' middle ground and get them to take enough interest to vote against him. At the moment he is making that job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Oh the sweet irony. The first ever Twitter "manipulated media." post comes from the White House, where 'fake news' is the daily battle cry.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/twitters-1st-manipulated-media-warning-white-house/story?id=69504259&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

• Advertisement

CNN just re-ran the clip of Don saying [about the virus] "it'll go away, just stay calm" and before it he mentioned US business, incl the cruise shipping business. On the daily briefing given by Mike Pence and the virus committee last night, the final question given to him from the floor was a two-parter, the 2nd part being about the cruise liners. He answered the first part while the gent to his right was busy waving his hands criss-cross fashion at waist level giving a brush-off signal. He probably didn't know he was caught on camera seeing as he was intent on getting the question unanswered. Mike Pence then left the room. It's apparent the committee do not want to discuss what happens to US citizens returning home from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Can we take a few minutes to discuss that Trump has actually said he has a "hunch" the actual death rate is lower than is being officially reported by the WHO and other experts in various reports.

The man is literally lying to his people about this.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Can we take a few minutes to discuss that Trump has actually said he has a "hunch" the actual death rate is lower than is being officially reported by the WHO and other experts in various reports.

Not really, tbh. Its same old same old. I know where you are coming from, and I agree, but he is beyond reason and sense at this stage. Hopefully things can be kept under control in spite of him, but it would be much easier with leadership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oh dear; looks like the Affordable Care Act (or Obamacare) may get ruled as illegal under Trumps watch because they decided to set the tax part of it to zero. Why would this be bad? Well for starters a lot of people will lose their healthcare and a lot of the previous escapes insurance could use to deny it (claiming it was an existing condition) will come back in play and that would affect quite a bit of even the Republicans as well. Secondly; there's this minor Corona virus thing going on at the moment; people who're not making great money can't exact afford to sit at home as it stands and then cut their ability to get treated/checked (inc. the complications it causes in general) on top of needing hospitalization for serious cases? Well if you thought the corona virus was bad previously now remove healthcare and hospitalization for the bottom 50% of the population into the scenario and think of the effect of that. And it will not only affect that population because all those waiters, maids, cleaners etc. will be in those fancy houses spreading it as well... If you want a lawyers view on it I strongly recommend Leonard French who goes through it without personal bias on the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Oh the sweet irony. The first ever Twitter "manipulated media." post comes from the White House, where 'fake news' is the daily battle cry.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/twitters-1st-manipulated-media-warning-white-house/story?id=69504259&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

I hope for his sake that they don't decide to go back through his account. I would say that over 75% of his Twitter posts are at least some level of nonsense. Probably a good high % of that figure is outright lies.

That's even before you start on the slander, bullying and petty insults. His Twitter account is an absolute cesspool of utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sonics2k wrote: »

Honestly, as the last person said, there's little point. After watching that clip of him standing around with leading scientists in the field and rambling on about how he has a "natural ability" for science and how people couldn't believe how much he knew, I've totally given up.

I'm only surprised that he hasn't claimed he's so healthy that he's actually the only person on the planet that's immune to the virus. He's probably working up to that.

It seems that in the interests of national security, the NSC in Jan [at White House level] ordered the federal health officials at HHS attending the top-level discussions on the virus to treat the meetings as classified and kept in a high security room at the Dept of Health & Human Services. This has lead to virus fight experts and other Dept officials being kept in the dark about dozens of the meetings as they do not have the necessary classification access level to the results of the discussions. This may have hampered the work of the Dept's medical staffers in combatting the virus as they could not be made aware of the outcome of the discussions and decisions declared as classified by the Dept and inevitably led to the present virus outbreak situation in the US.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-secrecy-exclusive-idUSKBN20Y2LM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even ignoring the content, Trump sounded terrible tonight. Seemed to be mixing up words and trailing off mid sentence.

Nice hot mic moments of him too, both before and after

https://twitter.com/pittst3r/status/1237911192368275456?s=20

https://twitter.com/knoweyedentity/status/1237910275946405888?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Trump doesn't sound well tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets it. He probably does meet and greets shaking hands etc most days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement