Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm reading online now that Don told reporters that he would be making a TV statement at 8PM Washington time last night, then tweeted it would be at 9 PM. I didn't get to see it, if he did make one. It's being reported as breaking news that the US will be closing its air borders to European countries [excluding the UK] for 30 days from this Friday. Did anyone see Dons TV appearance or statement, or anything he tweeted about it or its content?

Edit. Uh ok, just seen the last three posts after I pushed the post button. Will have to look at US online papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm reading online now that Don told reporters that he would be making a TV statement at 8PM Washington time last night, then tweeted it would be at 9 PM. I didn't get to see it, if he did make one. It's being reported as breaking news that the US will be closing its air borders to European countries [excluding the UK] for 30 days from this Friday. Did anyone see Dons TV appearance or statement, or anything he tweeted about it or its content?

It’s bizarre he’s excluding the UK from the ban yet we have Leo over there with his bowl of Shamrock doing the leprechaun routine and we are banned. I Edit: News over night we not banned it’s just Schengen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Dow futures down 900 points, whatever he was trying to do by pointing the blame elsewhere hasn't helped the market yet so far.

NBA has suspended their season now too.

Blaming the Europeans isn't going to work. Things are really unraveling for him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So Ireland also not on the banned list... good thing for once that Trump has a property here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So Ireland also not on the banned list... good thing for once that Trump has a property here.

It's just by chance because we are not members of Schengen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/1237862146588831747?s=19

Wow. It's almost like the allegations of corruption against Hunter were projection and trump is scared of anyone investigatjng his kids.

Bloomberg should jump at this show of weakness and pump billions into investigating them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I didn't watch the speech, so I don't know quite how 'wrong' he got it, but the 'actual' 30-day ban is here.
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I didn't watch the speech, so I don't know quite how 'wrong' he got it, but the 'actual' 30-day ban is here.
    https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

Your ability to comment on some trump ridiculousness without insulting him is quite a talent.

Here's a slip of the mask from 45.... the lack of confidence in this guy is making things a million times worse

https://twitter.com/leahmcelrath/status/1237913880669683718?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He has the oddest speech and mannerisms of any human I've ever seen. Honestly if his head fell off and we found he was an alien robot id be thinking to myself, you know what that makes way more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

everlast75 wrote: »

Here's a slip of the mask from 45.... the lack of confidence in this guy is making things a million times worse

What am I missing? There is literally nothing untoward in that video :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Your ability to comment on some trump ridiculousness without insulting him is quite a talent.

You'll be, I think, hard pressed to find my insulting anyone on Boards for any reason.

I've never found it to be necessary and it doesn't make arguments any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Dow futures down 900 points, whatever he was trying to do by pointing the blame elsewhere hasn't helped the market yet so far.

NBA has suspended their season now too.

Blaming the Europeans isn't going to work. Things are really unraveling for him

A very poor leadership performance that had a chance to re-assure through positive measures but completely failed to do so.

Stop travel from Europe was the principal measure, and he even fcuked that up! He included cargo / goods in his address and had to tweet a reversal afterwards. He announced the new measure apparently blind-siding his European so-called allies. Said that co-pays would not apply to insured Covid sufferers, and had to clarify that any treatments would still require co-pays: his measure applied to testing alone . No substantive measures for managing the epidemic that disease management professionals are saying is brewing under the surface but is not being surfaced due to CDC testing policies up to now. They simply havent been testing people (even refusing to test ppl with symptoms). The Administration has hidden relevant meetings and information from professionals and the public by abnormal use of secret classifications, just because the disease originated in China. Appalling CDC testing policies have resulted in two months of active monitoring and containment being lost. Lies and misinformation are being trotted out on a daily basis by the usual suspects such as KAC and the likes, and now the Surgeon General has been inducted into the cult of lies and BS that is being propagated. His comments on Trump to Jake Tapper on Sunday were a disgrace and clearly an outright lie as all can see. And that's at the nub of all this. When ppl in power lie with such abandon, how the **** can any sentient being believe a word they say? And when a crisis is as big as this one is, anything they say is simply not believable. It seems that only Dr Anthony Fauci has any credibility in all this!

A country in crisis within a world in crisis has once again been pushed deeper into that crisis by an inept leader who went on TV to beat his chest for his great actions and blame everyone else for the situation without offering any material help and/or believable hope to the people he is supposed to be leading. No doubt 30-40% of the population will be happy with tonight's address; the other 60-70% will be more confused and frightened than ever after it.

Great job, Mr President!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'll be, I think, hard pressed to find my insulting anyone on Boards for any reason.

I've never found it to be necessary and it doesn't make arguments any better.

Tbf you do have an increasing penchant to jump to a middle ground defence for trump regardless of how abjectly wrong he acts. This has worsened over time. I don't think it's an insult to point out the facts.

Would you vote for trump 2020 genuine question

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf you do have an increasing penchant to jump to a middle ground defence for trump regardless of how abjectly wrong he acts. This has worsened over time. I don't think it's an insult to point out the facts.

Would you vote for trump 2020 genuine question

Mod note:

Play the ball not the man thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He only excluded the UK.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He only excluded the UK.

The white house clarified that it was just schengen:

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0312/1121759-coronavirus/

Likewise, they confirmed it wasnt a total ban, and US citizens could still fly home and that the reference to goods was a mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He only excluded the UK.
    No it doesn't. We reacted far too hastily in listening to Trump about what a Trump policy might be. It really seems like the new measures and what Trump said are pretty different.

This was meant to be nothing to worry about a few days ago according to the man in question. The US also has a very high death for # of cases so I would not be surprised if this is trying to preempt a large jump in numbers by blaming someone else.

The State Dept must be working overtime to correct the impression that the US is a trainwreck right now. Announcing the new foreign travel policy out of the blue like that, Mr President - loco driver of the year. I can just imagine what the guests faces would have looked like. Wall St must be in worry-mode right now.

aloyisious wrote: »
    The State Dept must be working overtime to correct the impression that the US is a trainwreck right now. Announcing the new foreign travel policy out of the blue like that, Mr President - loco driver of the year. I can just imagine what the guests faces would have looked like. Wall St must be in worry-mode right now.

He specifically called out trade and cargo from Europe being banned. It was the most important line of the speech really and it was, as so much of Trump's sentences are, a lie.

I get stopping a lot of passengers from Italy/Germany etc. but the cargo thing would have been a directed attack on Europe and annihilated the economy. I mean the man has no idea what is going on with his own countries reaction to the virus. He was obviously given talking points right before going on and doesn't have a clue about anything himself.

I don't care if your policies are Republican but elect someone who knows what is going on at least. This is just pathetic.

• Advertisement

He's flip-flopped on blaming China for the outbreak. His NSA and Marco Rubio have been no help to him in that regard, blaming China for covering up on the virus for 2 months and setting back the worlds [incl the US] response and ability to get into gear to fight and kill off the virus. Dons pronouncements are going to wreck world trade and have a side effect on the morale of the workers in state and other US Govt Dept's trying to keep the train on the tracks. Wait for Wall St and the unions to call the White House and Senate. Edit: On second thoughts, its useless calling the White House, concentrate on the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Christy42 wrote: »
    He specifically called out trade and cargo from Europe being banned. It was the most important line of the speech really and it was, as so much of Trump's sentences are, a lie.

I get stopping a lot of passengers from Italy/Germany etc. but the cargo thing would have been a directed attack on Europe and annihilated the economy. I mean the man has no idea what is going on with his own countries reaction to the virus. He was obviously given talking points right before going on and doesn't have a clue about anything himself.

I don't care if your policies are Republican but elect someone who knows what is going on at least. This is just pathetic.

Remember, the White House is currently operating without a Chief of Staff who would normally be front and centre of an Oval office address. Mulvaney was ousted on Friday and incoming COS Mark Meadows is in isolation. It now seems that Kushner who is Trump's ' Inspector Gadget' despite being totally useless, has been given responsibility for managing Trump's Coronavirus portfolio so I suspect he would have been heavily involved in that address last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

And he called for payroll relief, which is probably going to add more to the deficit he got rid of. Sorry, said he would get rid of but has increased massively

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It makes no sense banning flights from all of Europe to America except the UK and Ireland unless he said that because flights from mainland Europe to Ireland and the Uk are banned. Someone could still go the UK from Europe via ship or train and then get a flight from Heathrow to America so if they are going to ban flights to America they might as well ban all of them. At least it will be good for the planet do with no flights across the Atlantic to America or very few anyway for a month.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Remember, the White House is currently operating without a Chief of Staff who would normally be front and centre of an Oval office address. Mulvaney was ousted on Friday and incoming COS Mark Meadows is in isolation. It now seems that Kushner who is Trump's ' Inspector Gadget' despite being totally useless, has been given responsibility for managing Trump's Coronavirus portfolio so I suspect he would have been heavily involved in that address last night!

It might lead to a return to a reliance on the "deep state" public service within the administration in order to get back a semblance of normality but I wouldn't have too much faith in Donald being able to change his spots. He's a one-trick pony.

AMKC wrote: »
    It makes no sense banning flights from all of Europe to America except the UK and Ireland unless he said that because flights from mainland Europe to Ireland and the Uk are banned. Someone could still go the UK from Europe via ship or train and then get a flight from Heathrow to America so if they are going to ban flights to America they might as well ban all of them. At least it will be good for the planet do with no flights across the Atlantic to America or very few anyway for a month.

They can't if they have been in Shengen in the two weeks prior to their flight. Might be tough to check though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

AMKC wrote: »
    Occam's razor, he does not know UK and Ireland are not part of Schengen as they were all part of EU anyway. Second possibility it's excluded because of major American banks in London asked him to. No matter what though I expect it will be corrected soonish anyway in some form; Heathrow for example with all those international flights around the world is a perfect spreading ground for Corona virus.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And he called for payroll relief, which is probably going to add more to the deficit he got rid of. Sorry, said he would get rid of but has increased massively

Yeah. decrease payroll tax as a response to Corona virus ???

Why exactly? - So , you are working and now you are paying less taxes.

But - If you are impacted by Corona virus , you are not working and in the US, for a huge % of the population that means no money at all as there is no mandatory sick pay.

What does payroll tax fund again? oh yes, that thing that the GOP hate - Social Security.

So , they de-fund Social security , have no positive impact on any epidemic related issues , but in a few months the GOP can go "Hey , look at the state of Social Security , it's a mess , let's scrap it and replace it with something 'better'!!! "

He had 3 main things to announce last night and managed to make a complete balls of two of them and the third won't help anyway..

Travel Ban - Makes a big show of it being a complete ban on everything including goods and trade , only to have to back pedal like crazy afterwards when the markets went mental.

Healthcare Costs - Says "I've instructed the Insurers to remove co-pays on all Virus related costs" , then has to backtrack on that when the reality is that they won't charge for the test , but if you test positive they'll charge you for any care you receive. so unsurprisingly , not much help to anyone actually impacted.

Payroll tax cuts - A pointless thing that has nothing whatsoever to do with helping people impacted by the Virus , but the GOP has been trying to de-fund Social security for years , so "never waste a crisis" eh?

Regardless of the actual content of the speech , what was needed was leadership and clarity and he failed miserably to provide that.

Just a shambles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nody wrote: »
    Occam's razor, he does not know UK and Ireland are not part of Schengen as they were all part of EU anyway. Second possibility it's excluded because of major American banks in London asked him to. No matter what though I expect it will be corrected soonish anyway in some form; Heathrow for example with all those international flights around the world is a perfect spreading ground for Corona virus.

Nothing to do with the fact that the excluded countries are the only ones with Trump Properties?

Wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone travelling to or spending money with the Trump Corporation now would we?

• Advertisement

In the middle of a national crisis, 45 gets on the TV and can't get it right.

The mop and bucket brigade have to be brought out to once again, clean up the mess of misinformation given to the public and whose lives are at stake.

If Trump can't do it - he needs to STFU and let the professionals address folks, instead of causing confusion and panic.

We all knew he was a bumbling, BS artist but some people voted for him for the LOLS, some Reps backed him because they could shoehorn through their own policies with him in charge, and they thought it would all be relatively fine. Sure look - isn't it box office TV!

More and more people are seeing the truth that he is not the man to turn to in a crisis. His inability to tell the truth didn't matter to a lot of folk, they were either little lies or if they were serious ones, sure who cares when it's people from a different country that are being punished, or the poor. But now it's the everyday american. Now his incompetence is directly affecting them. His lies are going to cause people to die. That's not hyperbole. That's a fact.

He can't BS his way out of this one. Even if he tells the truth, when he has spouted over 16,000 lies - why would you believe him? Truth matters. Reputation matters.

It's horrific to watch. But it was always going to happen.

And, to once again address the hypocrisy, that always seems to come from Trump, here is the tweet of the day

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/640278865584197633?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement