Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The money had been frozen for years and years and apparently, I think John Kerry said this, they were going to get it back anyway through some court case...more I think he may have said, the bottom line is the Iran nuclear deal wasn't perfect, because no deal is, but it was infinitely better than no deal and what we have today.

It was interest, paid in cash. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-made-1-7-billion-transfer-to-iran-in-foreign-cash-treasury-says

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm not clicking your link, it's not really relevant to what I was talking about so..... Ok then!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51081861

UK defence secretary complains that he loses sleep at night due to Donald Trump’s unwillingness to intervene in the world. The UK must be looking to war more...they were one of the countries that pushed hard and convinced Obama who was sceptical about Libya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In fairness, the UK government comes out with some stuff at times doesn't it? This sucking up of the Boris Johnson led Tory government to Trump because of Brexit is actually hilarious. As if he isn't just gonna bend them over when push comes to shove. Loyalty is a one way street with our Donald, dunno how many more times that needs to be made clear.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

They are doing so now in a much different context given that the regime is weakened, something which they can hopefully exploit.

The people of Iran have never had the level of support they have tonight (and hopefully will continue to have).

And that's thanks to Pres. Donald Trump ...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1216130169477439488
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1216114167108849665

In contrast the left have tried to make a victim of Soleimani. It's disgusting, but not in the least surprising. Always been clear where their allegiances have been.

https://www.hudson.org/research/11436-obama-strikes-a-deal-with-qassem-suleimani
    https://pjmedia.com/trending/obama-administration-stopped-israel-from-assassinating-soleimani-in-2015-report-says/

You are calling others disgusting while defending someone who has repeatedly stated his desire to commit war crimes?

Trump literally banned Iranians from entering the US. To state he is on their side is ridiculous. The people of Iran have zero support. He wanted to bomb the crap out of their country, specifically targeting cultural sites, remember.

Soleimani is not a victim any more than Saddam. Both where killed under false pretenses and people attempted to reverse justify the entire situation. Both were bad people.

I support the people of Iran but they have to realise that Trump is not on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I listened to the podcast version of the 11th hour from Friday and they had audio of the changing story about the killing of the Iranian general and it hurt my head to listen to. It went from vague treat to 1 embassy to 4 embassies and Pompeo said the senators claims that the briefing was vague was incorrect. Also trump was asked "don't the American people deserve to see the intelligence behind the killing?" And trump said he didn't think they did. That's nice from a US president.

Soleimani wasn't an alter boy and was a evil bastard and I've seen no one saying it's bad he's dead but it's the severe lack of a plan for the aftermath is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1216252081029271557

Good thread by Yashar Ali as always one of the few journalists who is not biased. The MAGA crowd who supposedly loved how Trump sold himself as an isolationist cheer leading for Trump now,,,while some on the left who are so anti interventionist are basically useful idiots of dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

The people I feel bad for and that really almost nobody gives a toss for are the people of Iran. They are stuck under a disgusting repressive religious fundamentalist regime from within and besieged from without by a super power that wants not to help but just take control via another puppet government. That for me is the worst part about this whole situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Good thread by Yashar Ali as always one of the few journalists who is not biased.

Indeed, he is spot on with the following at least:

image.png

But as I keep saying, that is nothing new. This is what the left has been doing since Trump took office. They pretend to care about serious issues but only to the extent that it helps their cause (ousting Trump from office). They'll drop the Iranian people like a hot potatoe as soon as anything they say remotely implies that Trump did a good thing taking out Soleimani.

It's constant mask slipping from the MSM when it comes to the stories they amplify and what they choose to ignore.

https://twitter.com/HananyaNaftali/status/1216147779388489729

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

But as I keep saying, that is nothing new. This is what the left has been doing since Trump took office. They pretend to care about serious issues but only to the extent that it helps their cause (ousting Trump from office). They'll drop the Iranian people like a hot potatoe as soon as anything they say remotely implies that Trump did a good thing taking out Soleimani.

It's constant mask slipping from the MSM when it comes to the stories they amplify and what they choose to ignore.

Just a minor correction on this point, it appears the outlets usually labelled as left-leaning members of the mainstream media have, in fact, been covering these protests over the last 24 hours.

CNN: Thousands of Iranian protesters hit streets condemning leaders over downed plane

New York Times: Furor in Iran and Abroad After Tehran Admits Downing Ukrainian Jetliner

Washington Post: Iran admits to downing airliner amid calls for justice, transparency

Washington Post: Defying police, Iranians protest over plane shootdown

MSNBC: Protests erupt in Iran over plane's downing that killed 176

Closer to home we also have...

BBC: Iran plane crash: Protesters condemn 'lies' on downed jet

BBC: Iran plane downing: Second day of protests turns up heat on leaders

The Guardian: Iran's admission of guilt over plane crash sparks unrest in Tehran

The Guardian: Iran deploys riot police as backlash against government grows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody is defending him. People are asking questions about why, why now and why not inform congress.

Why the story has changed, why we are now supposed to believe in the secret service when Trump himself says that against the will of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

So the U.S is not only now refusing to leave Iraq but also threatening to seize Iraqi sovereign bank accounts at the Fed in NYC where international oil sale revenue is kept if the insist on requesting the troops to leave. The U.S is looking more and more like a mob outfit everyday under trump.my how the mighty have fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You have to hand it to Trump, through a series of miscalculations and chaotic reactions he has managed to kill the Iranian he wanted to and still have the it's people angry at it's leaders.

Dumb luck I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

You have to hand it to Trump, through a series of miscalculations and chaotic reactions he has managed to kill the Iranian he wanted to and still have the it's people angry at it's leaders.

Dumb luck I think it's called.

Don't have to hand anything to him. Chaos breeds chaos. That's all that has happened. The troops in the middle East are now at greater risk of attack,as are diplomats and foreign installations. All for no return in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

gizmo wrote: »
    Just a minor correction on this point, it appears the outlets usually labelled as left-leaning members of the mainstream media have, in fact, been covering these protests over the last 24 hours

What correction? All you did by posting the above articles was prove my point: that the MSM only amplifies stories which fit their anti-Trump narrative.

For the last three days the MSM have been suggesting the Trump administration was culpable for that flight being taken down for heaven sake and so of course they're reporting on the protests from that perspective, nobody said they weren't, but what they are not doing, to any great degree at least (I used to word amplify for a reason) is report that the protesters are showing support for the US and are happy that Trump killed Suleimani, that's the point!

https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1216063858609131520

Iranian people today showing respect of the US flag:

https://twitter.com/AlinejadMasih/status/1216340850227150848

And tearing down images of Suleimani:

https://twitter.com/MohamadAhwaze/status/1216406435262795776

The left will soon have no choice but to admit that Trump was right to kill Suleimani but it will be too late as we have seen how leftists reacted to his death and tried to use it as yet another stick to beat him with. The irrational hatred never ends. Although their supporting of terrorists, even if insincere, surprised even me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

What correction? All you did by posting the above articles was prove my point: that the MSM only amplifies stories which fit their anti-Trump narrative.

For the last three days the MSM have been suggesting the Trump administration was culpable for that flight being taken down for heaven sake and so of course they're reporting on the protests from that perspective, nobody said they weren't, but what they are not doing, to any great degree at least (I used to word amplify for a reason) is report that the protesters are showing support for the US and are happy that Trump killed Suleimani, that's the point!

The left will soon have no choice but to admit that Trump was right to kill Suleimani but it will be too late as we have seen how leftists reacted to his death and tried to use it as yet another stick to beat him with. The irrational hatred never ends. Although their supporting of terrorists, even if insincere, surprised even me.

How much do they need to report on it for it to be amplified enough for you?

Why is the administration stilling lying about why the attack was carried out?

Who is supporting terrorists? They have said he was an evil man. So was Saddam. Obviously taking out Saddam was a mistake. They are stating the same here. You are creating strawmen of the "left" and arguing against it.

If it is irrational to hate a man who repeatedly and openly calls for war crimes to be committed. Well I am not sure that is a definition of rational I wish to subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I wonder why so many of Trump's followers insist on labeling anyone who is against Trump as left/leftist. Is it so hard for them to believe that those on both sides of the political spectrum and none can be against a serial lying, 3rd rate compromised conman, with a narcissistic personality being anywhere near any position of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Soleimani wasn't an alter boy and was a evil bastard and I've seen no one saying it's bad he's dead but it's the severe lack of a plan for the aftermath is the issue.

David Horgan* (I think) on the Brendan O'Connor show on RTE Radio 1 today, described Soleimani as a Michael Collins type figure in Iran. He didn't seem to think he was the evil incarnate that he is being painted now.

*Think he has something to do with the oil business in the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Masih Alinejad is a Trump supporter. She has a crusade going on about the wearing of the hijab and has criticised Jacinta Ardern for wearing it as she regards it as a sign of women's oppression. Her family have been imprisoned by the present Iranian regime. She is very critical of the Democrats because Obama wouldn't meet her and Mike Pompeo has. She has been interviewed on Fox News.

I'm not sure her reporting is reliable when it comes to Iran.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This is incredibly disingenuous.

You linked a Tweet from Yashar Ali where he complained that none of the prominent liberal Twitter accounts mentioned the protests in Iran today. You then took that ball and ran with it to cover the "the left" and the MSM without any additional qualifiers.

Now you're claiming that they are reporting on the protests but from an anti-Trump perspective. You've even gone so far as to quote two more tweets with new footage to demonstrate how skewed their coverage has been.

There's only one problem. The links I shared from the various agencies do not show the protests from the perspective you claim.
    • They discuss the mass anti-government protests which were spreading across the country on Saturday.
    • They quote protesters chanting "Khamenei have shame. Leave the country" , "Down, down, Khamenei" and “Khamenei is a murderer!”.
    • They quote students at protests chanting "Resign, resign, resign" at the military chiefs who they blame for the downing of the flight.
    • They quote a report from Fars which said that at another protest up to 1,000 people had chanted slogans against leaders and tore up pictures of Soleimani himself.

They even show footage from the same event at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran which Masih Alinejad used in her tweet showing how students refused to step on American and Israeli flags.

This is the same tweet you linked to illustrate your point that they weren't covering the protests from this perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Giant corporations like NBC Universal, WarnerMedia etc are not left wing. NY Times are not left wing.

Not one single US mainstream media is asking for any major leftwing policy to be implemented in the US. In fact if any is suggested even fully accepted things worldwide like universal health care all the msm rebuff it and ask 'how could we afford that'.

Not agreeing with Trump or his policies does not make someone left wing.

I wonder why so many of Trump's followers insist on labeling anyone who is against Trump as left/leftist. Is it so hard for them to believe that those on both sides of the political spectrum and none can be against a serial lying, 3rd rate compromised conman, with a narcissistic personality being anywhere near any position of power.

You are talking about people who have admitted having multiple Twitter accounts etc so they can troll people that they don't like. If they are that invested in bullsh1t, or so obviously in need of medical help, of course they aren't going to believe both sides as you said, can be against Trump.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Giant corporations like NBC Universal, WarnerMedia etc are not left wing. NY Times are not left wing.

Not one single US mainstream media is asking for any major leftwing policy to be implemented in the US. In fact if any is suggested even fully accepted things worldwide like universal health care all the msm rebuff it and ask 'how could we afford that'.

Not agreeing with Trump or his policies does not make someone left wing.

Trump and the Republicans have gone so far to the right that previously the centre right normal looks “left” in relative terms. Obviously this doesn’t excuse Trump fans calling anyone who opposes them “the left”. Following the rule of law is now a “left wing” belief in the US according to Republicans

Who would have thought liking the FBI would make you a “leftie”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

jm08 wrote: »
    David Horgan* (I think) on the Brendan O'Connor show on RTE Radio 1 today, described Soleimani as a Michael Collins type figure in Iran. He didn't seem to think he was the evil incarnate that he is being painted now.

*Think he has something to do with the oil business in the Middle East.

Thats the exact line the Iranian Ambassador was peddling, it makes zero sense as an analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,557 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It is all about creating an enemy. It's the 1st rule for Trump. Once you create an identity for them, you create nicknames to demean them. It gives people a target.

Lefties, radical left dems, socialist dems, do nothing dems, unhinged dems and if you're not a dem, you're one of the Anti-Trumpers or Never-Trumpers.

It works with specific people too - Lyin' Ted Curz, Little Marco Rubio, Shifty Schiff, Nervous Nancy.

It is little more than schoolboy wit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I've seen Nicole Wallace and David Frum amongst others labelled as lefties on here

Bizarre way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

everlast75 wrote: »
    It is all about creating an enemy. It's the 1st rule for Trump. Once you create an identity for them, you create nicknames to demean them. It gives people a target.

Lefties, radical left dems, socialist dems, do nothing dems, unhinged dems and if you're not a dem, you're one of the Anti-Trumpers or Never-Trumpers.

It works with specific people too - Lyin' Ted Curz, Little Marco Rubio, Shifty Schiff, Nervous Nancy.

Your first line nails it, creating a target by using the names. I see it here from certain posters, anyone using this tactic and doing the name calling either knowingly knows what they are at doing it or are too stupid to see they’ve been manipulated neither one makes the person worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

everlast75 wrote: »

I wouldn't even mind but his nicknames for people are crap. Something a 4 year old would come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I wouldn't even mind but his nicknames for people are crap. Something a 4 year old would come up with.

Trump knows his target audience well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,557 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

slight distraction perhaps, but it does make you wonder who is involved..

https://twitter.com/josephabondy/status/1216718465438035970?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement