Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,604 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He has already got that covered.

Its all just fake news!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1237842710674812928

His demeanour reminded me of Roger Stone in the video of his questioning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He has already got that covered.

Its all just fake news!

And yet again, where is the journalistic unity to hound his attempts to wriggle out of a genuine question? He's literally shooting the messenger, dismissing his inadequate, flailing response to a potential national crisis. Ok, we don't see the follow-up to that short clip, but I've never got the sense the rest of the press corp ever bother backing up their slighted colleague...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump says it will be gone in 2 months, FFS. Not sure who he was quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭randomname2005

pixelburp wrote: »
    And yet again, where is the journalistic unity to hound his attempts to wriggle out of a genuine question? He's literally shooting the messenger, dismissing his inadequate, flailing response to a potential national crisis. Ok, we don't see the follow-up to that short clip, but I've never got the sense the rest of the press corp ever bother backing up their slighted colleague...

They will have their press passes removed. At least being in there, making Trump say things and having them on record is better than just having his 'real news' journalists in there asking the easy questions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Water John wrote: »
    Trump says it will be gone in 2 months, FFS. Not sure who he was quoting.

That's his "Gone by April when the weather improves" story line.

The fact that he continues to persist with this kind of stuff just indicates that he has likely been forced into some of the more significant actions against his own views.

Delusional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll guess a bit of disaster capitalism will not hurt Trump and his circle one little bit :)

Sorry if this is already posted

Meanwhile the Donald may be ducked

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/world/coronavirus-news.html
    Days after being near Trump and Pence, Brazilian official tests positive for the virus, reports say.

A senior Brazilian government official who visited Mar-a-Lago days ago, and was in close proximity to President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence, has tested positive for the new coronavirus, according to the several Brazilian news outlets.

Fábio Wajngarten, President Jair Bolsonaro’s communications chief, was at Mar-a-Lago, Mr. Trump’s oceanfront resort in Florida, as part of Brazilian government delegation. Members of that group dined with Mr. Trump on Saturday.

Mr. Wajngarten tested positive for the virus after returning home with flu-like symptoms. He is awaiting the results of a second test to confirm the diagnosis, according to the newspaper Estadão.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's his "Gone by April when the weather improves" story line.

The fact that he continues to persist with this kind of stuff just indicates that he has likely been forced into some of the more significant actions against his own views.

Delusional

Article on 538 today talking about this, with experts basically saying...this might not be a seasonal issue, because no-one knows enough about it yet to say that with any degree of accuracy:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/flu-comes-back-every-year-will-coronavirus/

But, that's unlikely to make its way out of Trump's mouth any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Poldsgold

Dow Jones at about 21,700 points... Trump is well off the pace Obama or Clinton set in their first terms and is failing badly on this front.

He wasn't even on the same pace prior to botching this crisis as badly as he has, but if this keeps up he may well even do worse than Bush's first term.

Trump will want a very quick turnaround, because as of now he is failing badly when it comes to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Britain is excluded from the travel ban because it is "doing a good job in tackling the coronavirus"

Quote from Trump at a press conference apparently. Reported by CNN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

There's some bad news coming out of Ukraine for Biden. Zelensky has fired his cabinet, and the prosecutor general, a guy called Ruslan Ryaboshapka, who was widely regarded as good at his job and of high integrity.

It looks like there's a big changing of the guard to go in a much more pro-Russian and certainly pro-oligarch direction.

That means Ukraine is likely to co-operate in doing what the Russians and Trump want in terms of manufacturing fake "dirt" on Biden.

Flagged this a week ago.

Another thing to watch is how Trump uses the Coronavirus as cover for wider corruption/doing what Russia wants.

Is Ukraine About to Re-Open the Biden Investigation?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-ukraine-about-the-re-open-the-biden-investigation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Anyone else think that after the Biden Sanders debate.... that democrats might have serious reservations about going with Biden... I feel he will really struggle if things get intense...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭eire4

Anyone else think that after the Biden Sanders debate.... that democrats might have serious reservations about going with Biden... I feel he will really struggle if things get intense...

Well it will be interesting to see what Biden's responses to Sanders questions are. Sanders took the very unusual step the other day at a press conference of basically saying exactly what he was going to ask Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eire4 wrote: »
    Well it will be interesting to see what Biden's responses to Sanders questions are. Sanders took the very unusual step the other day at a press conference of basically saying exactly what he was going to ask Biden.

Throwing a feint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭eire4

duploelabs wrote: »
    Throwing a feint

Maybe but I doubt that. Not Sanders style. I suspect he may be making a play to try and push Biden and his fellow corporate Democrats to come at least some way towards where Sanders is at on some of his major policies. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Biden has a habit of verbally lashing out (cursing/loud voice) demanding a press up competition .... will sanders be on the end of some of this ? It wouldn’t be a good look.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Looking at MAGA twitter they still think it's a hoax and the Dems are reacting hysterically just to bring the stock market and Trump down.

This is the nightmare scenario where the constant attack on the media and experts is going to result in a lot of unnecessary death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

20Cent wrote: »
    Looking at MAGA twitter they still think it's a hoax and the Dems are reacting hysterically just to bring the stock market and Trump down.

This is the nightmare scenario where the constant attack on the media and experts is going to result in a lot of unnecessary death.

Whats their cognitive dissonance reponse when global figures are brought up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭briany

20Cent wrote: »

I once thought that people might one day band together and fight climate change, adopting new lifestyles and energy sources. Now, I'm leaning more toward the idea that CC would end up with people aboard rafts arguing whose religion is correct.

Similarly, there will be no shortage of people will attempt to deny and distract when it comes to this outbreak. There will come no point where they get with the program. The best thing to do is just mentally bypass them because attention is what they feed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

VinLieger wrote: »

Stuff like the below:

The numbers are tiny, (don't seem to understand how it spreads)
    H1N1 killed 16.000 so the hysteria over Corona is fake.
    The legislation the Dems want to pass to tackle it is cover to increase abortion.
    "Liberal" media are exaggerating it to hurt the stock market and therefore trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Poldsgold

Dow Jones gains by president:

Clinton 93-97: 2,356 start -> 6,764 finish = 187.09% increase, an average of 3.89% increase per month (48 months per term)
    Clinton 97-01: 6,764 start -> 10,686 finish = 57.98% increase, or 1.2% average increase per month
    Clinton total: 2,356 start -> 10,686 finish = 353% increase, 3.67% increase per month

Bush 01-05: 10,686 start -> 10,626 finish = 0.56% decrease, or 0.01% decrease per month
    Bush 05-09: 10,626 start -> 8,215 finish = 22.69% decrease, or 0.47% decrease per month
    Bush total: 10,686 start -> 8,215 finish = 23% decrease, or 0.24% per month.

Obama 09-13: 8,215 start -> 13,596 finish = 65.5% increase, or 1.36% increase per month.
    Obama 13-17: 13,596 start -> 19,882 finish = 45.79% increase, or 0.95% increase per month.
    Obama total: 8,215 start -> 19,882 finish = 142% increase, or 1.48% increase per month

Trump 17-20: 19,882 start -> 21,200 current = 6.6% increase, or 0.17% per month (38 months, all others are 48 months).

He'll want to dramatically improve those numbers sharpish in an election year, because the economy was the one area Trump and his base have clung on to desperately as the rest of his presidency has unraveled.

In order to achieve what Clinton or Obama did in their first terms, he will need manage to get the Dow Jones back to either 33,000 (Obama) or 57,000 (Clinton) points before November. Otherwise, in terms of the economy, he can only be viewed as a failure compared to his superior predecessors.

The problem is, with how things are going he is in danger of doing worse than even Bush's first term, which would be the case if he drops below 19,700 prior to the election.

This man is failing, badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

VinLieger wrote: »

It might be the same response given to the school shootings: there were no deaths and the photos of dead children were photos of actors, its all faked.

Don might try to get publicity he sees as good by pushing back against democrats Mayor Bill de Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo in New York. Bill has declared a state of emergency to fight the virus outbreak, which will allow him use new powers as the number of confirmed cases in the city rose to 95. He hasn't issued new rules yet but said he supported an announcement by Andrew Cuomo earlier today banning meeting of more than 500 people in the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Watching Rachel Maddow here.

“The US has been probably the worst in the world, certainly in the industrialised world, for testing for the Coronavirus.”

The bare truth of the total haplessness of the Trump response to Coronavirus laid out in simple and devastating terms.

The insanity, the corruption, the total incompetence and wanton disregard for human life that has overtaken America, it has to end ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Poldsgold wrote: »
    The problem is, with how things are going he is in danger of doing worse than even Bush's first term, which would be the case if he drops below 19,700 prior to the election.

This man is failing, badly.

Will it matter? He'll just ignore the numbers and shout fake news, and his followers will love it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Tbf you do have an increasing penchant to jump to a middle ground defence for trump regardless of how abjectly wrong he acts. This has worsened over time. I don't think it's an insult to point out the facts.

Would you vote for trump 2020 genuine question

Forgive me for thinking that accuracy and a willingness to consider possible reasonable alternative explanations should not be casualties of The Great Boards Trump Pile-On. Is “middle ground” a bad place to be? Indeed, what I find telling is that the complaint was not that I posted that Trump was wrong, but that I was not suitably insulting when I did so. Really?

I saw this about eight years ago on the other side. That Trump is more deserving of scorn than his predecessor is a given, but that does not mean that valid positions should be ignored any more now than then.

Genuine answer. If you will recall I am on record as saying I did not vote for Trump in 2016. I see no reason that he is any more deserving of my vote today, and find it unlikely that this position will change.

Forgive me for thinking that accuracy and a willingness to consider possible reasonable alternative explanations should not be casualties of The Great Boards Trump Pile-On. Is “middle ground” a bad place to be? Indeed, what I find telling is that the complaint was not that I posted that Trump was wrong, but that I was not suitably insulting when I did so. Really?

I saw this about eight years ago on the other side. That Trump is more deserving of scorn than his predecessor is a given, but that does not mean that valid positions should be ignored any more now than then.

Genuine answer. If you will recall I am on record as saying I did not vote for Trump in 2016. I see no reason that he is any more deserving of my vote today, and find it unlikely that this position will change.

OK, I'll give you your point that what's happening here in respect of Don can seem like a stampede without thorough inspection of his actions, as there's so much input from one side as against that from the other. However it's not at this stage a rush to judgement, it's now almost a jaded reaction to his stupidity. Practically everything Don Trump does and says compounds the trouble he made for the US & the world sometimes less than a hour or two earlier in the same day. We are all global neighbours. Sometimes I think there's not much point in debating anymore about his presidency, so much time is tied up by too-ing and fro-ing about his latest stupidity, BUT that would be dumbing-down and letting him off the hook. Unfortunately we cant debate with him and are left venting our annoyance on each other, sometimes to the enjoyment of people who come here to rile us up on both sides.

EDIT: sometimes things do turn out good from what Don says, but mostly its after the fact because he's talked in those cases about things done by some-one else in his administration at office-worker level due to working with/talking through what needs to be done and pushing it up the line for approval and action. I wont credit him with their work. An example at very high level is from outside the administration at the Senate in the funding to fight the virus because of the obvious need for it, despite the alleged follow-up whinging from Don that he didn't need it.

aloyisious wrote: »
    OK, I'll give you your point that what's happening here in respect of Don can seem like a stampede without thorough inspection of his actions, as there's so much input from one side as against that from the other. However it's not at this stage a rush to judgement, it's now almost a jaded reaction to his stupidity. Practically everything Don Trump does and says compounds the trouble he made for the US & the world sometimes less than a hour or two earlier in the same day. We are all global neighbours. Sometimes I think there's not much point in debating anymore about his presidency, so much time is tied up by too-ing and fro-ing about his latest stupidity, BUT that would be dumbing-down and letting him off the hook. Unfortunately we cant debate with him and are left venting our annoyance on each other, sometimes to the enjoyment of people who come here to rile us up on both sides.

Frankly, Trump alone has squandered any good will extended to him.

He has purposefully been divisive, relished in it in fact,and yet complains that there's no bipartisanship.

He has shown arrogance combined with utter stupidity.

He refuses to acknowledge his mistakes and instead uses false equivalency to blame others.

He is a prolific liar.

He has shown himself to be a bully and a coward.

He deserves and is worthy of absolutely nothing and at this late stage. With a worldwide pandemic, he STILL lies through his teeth. He should be called out at every opportunity for what he is. A dangerous failure of a man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I’m not even remotely shocked to read this.
    There are no depths the man won’t sink to

https://twitter.com/sethabramson/status/1238216578161926145?s=21

Runaways wrote: »
    I’m not even remotely shocked to read this.
    There are no depths the man won’t sink to

https://twitter.com/sethabramson/status/1238216578161926145?s=21

It's definitely on brand for him, but I'll wait for a second source.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's definitely on brand for him, but I'll wait for a second source.

I’m not 100% but the guy Seth has been all over him and has a book covering the whole mueller thing as far as I know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement