Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

aloyisious wrote: »
    Dr Brix gives the US a comparable rate of Virus affected persons to that of South Korea, 4%. That's higher than Dons 1% from last week.

South Korea were testing 10,000 people a day when the US had only tested 400 in total

(Just heard that on radio a few minutes back.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭briany

pixelburp wrote: »
    If some would imply those critical of Trump suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome, the man himself is obsessed about Obama. Utterly obsessed. Makes derangement syndrome look like apathy.

And to think, all this because Obama mocked him at the correspondents dinner ... back in 2011 wasn't it?

Trump was already critical of Obama before that dinner. He was into all the Birther stuff and whatnot. But it can't be denied that Trump's hatred of Obama most likely crystallised that night.

If you watch old clips of Trump from the 80s and 90s, he comes off as pretty calm and articulate. He didn't seem all that political back then and was more concerned with doing business with whoever was in power rather than who was in power.

I'd love to know where that guy went and what the timeline of Trump's apparent radicalisation was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

He's exampled his working with Gavin Newsom and referenced New York [Andrew Cuomo/Bill de Blasio] in connection with working with the different states, all 3 Democrat politicians. The testing kits might be a problem, figure just given of 5 million kits to be issued in a month, after one of the Pharma Co bosses present said some kits might not work.

A follow-up from that is how/who will be doing the testing of the samples to ensure there are no errors giving virus affected persons a pass when they are really affected by the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hrm. Robert Redfield (CDC head) was missing from the announcement? Does seem to be on the stage. Azar is there but he's HHS.

I missed a mention on CNN that one of the Democratic Party caucuses is being moved from its state to Washington but am not sure if its to Washington DC or Washington State. With the virus outbreak being stronger in Washington State than in other states, can some-one say if its DC the move is to, and what state its from?

• Advertisement

Missed that.
    A PBS reporter asked Trump does he take responsibility for dismantling a major office that would be a huge help right now ( cdc slashed funding I presume?)

He replied ‘i take responsibility for nothing’

No kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Runaways wrote: »
    Missed that.
    A PBS reporter asked Trump does he take responsibility for dismantling a major office that would be a huge help right now ( cdc slashed funding I presume?)

No kidding
    Of course there's a tweet :pac:

R73ZnOG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It is indeed true, he would no longer be eligible to hold office at noon on January 20, 2021, the relevant law is 3 U.S. Code § 19:-

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2011-title3/html/USCODE-2011-title3-chap1.htm
    §19. Vacancy in offices of both President and Vice President; officers eligible to act

(a)(1) If, by reason of death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, there is neither a President nor Vice President to discharge the powers and duties of the office of President, then the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall, upon his resignation as Speaker and as Representative in Congress, act as President.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Of course there's a tweet :pac:

R73ZnOG.png

You'd have to imagine this clip alone, assuming Corona truly becomes a threat, will play 247 on attack adverts. Not like career politicians aren't immune to shirking bad news as nothing to do with them, but the inability of Trump to even pivot gracefully is almost a thing of chaotic awe... I know I said it, and know others claimed he isn't, but I genuinely can't see intelligence behind this man's decisions. A crude strategy here and there, but by no means a consistent part of a persona to call him conventionally smart. He's a walking example of Dunning Kruger.

Missed that.

No kidding

The office concerned was part of the White House NSC group, was tasked with handling issues like the virus outbreak, and presumably eliminated as not being worth while keeping on the important list or subsumed into another agency.

• Advertisement

One thing Manic Moran, or some other knowledgeable person, might be able to solve for me was the mention Don made of the increase of the national oil reserves by buying in millions of barrels of oil, which he linked to the cheaper cost of oil now due to the virus outbreak/falloff in industry. Is the increased reserve oil going to come from within the US itself [shale oil] or from a foreign producer which is now involved in a price war with a former partner? Has there been a falloff in the reserve level in the past few years which necessitated the increase Don has approved?

Astonishing when you think how this man will be looked back on.

https://twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/1238578909517459456?s=21

On camera denying he had anything to do with the thing he did.

https://twitter.com/newshour/status/1238572800186757120?s=21

There's one piece of good news in all this from the Seattle Times. Don and Nancy seem to have done a deal on funding for help to cash-strapped people affected by the virus outbreak. Seattle has been at the centre of attention due to the outbreak and deaths at the Life Care Centre there.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/pelosi-white-house-near-agreement-on-coronavirus-aid-bill/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, he might not know anything about it. I mean it's not like he was asked about it three weeks ago and absolutely said he did it.

https://twitter.com/JeffLieber/status/1238569429174063105?s=19
    Q    Your budgets have consistently called for enormous cuts to the CDC, the NIH, and the WHO.  You’ve talked a lot today about how these professionals are excellent, have been critical and necessary.  Does this experience at all give you pause about those consistent cuts?

THE PRESIDENT:  No, because we — we can get money and we can increase staff.  We know all the people.  We know all the good people.  It’s a question I asked the doctors before.  Some of the people we cut, they haven’t been used for many, many years.  And if — if we have a need, we can get them very quickly.

And rather than spending the money — and I’m a business person — I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them.
    When we need them, we can get them back very quickly.  For instance, we’re bringing some people in tomorrow that are already in this, you know, great government that we have, and very specifically for this.

We can build up very, very quickly.  And we’ve already done that.  I mean, we really have built up.  We have a great staff. And using Mike, I’m doing that because he’s in the administration and he’s very good at doing what he does, and doing as it relates to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, he might not know anything about it. I mean it's not like he was asked about it three weeks ago and absolutely said he did it.

https://twitter.com/JeffLieber/status/1238569429174063105?s=19

Herd immunity,...check it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

aloyisious wrote: »
    One thing Manic Moran, or some other knowledgeable person, might be able to solve for me was the mention Don made of the increase of the national oil reserves by buying in millions of barrels of oil, which he linked to the cheaper cost of oil now due to the virus outbreak/falloff in industry. Is the increased reserve oil going to come from within the US itself [shale oil] or from a foreign producer which is now involved in a price war with a former partner? Has there been a falloff in the reserve level in the past few years which necessitated the increase Don has approved?

The Strategic Petroleum Reserve can be filled from any source, though the reports are saying that this move is meant to aid US petroleum companies hit by the price drop, so I figure it'll be a domestic purchase. In 2019, interestingly, the US imported about 9mn barrels of petroleum a day from 90 countries, and exported about 8.5mn to 190. The ratios indicate that the exports are mainly refined (75% of imports were crude, 35% of exports were crude). The US produces some 12mn barrels a day of oil domestically. The reserve is almost entirely oil.

There are currently 635mn barrels in the reserve, total capacity is 717. The all-time high was reached in early 2005, filled to then-capacity at 700. Since then, reserves have been released following hurricanes Katrina, Isaac, Gustav, Ike and Harvey, and there were some small releases following shipping accidents which blocked access to some refineries in 2006. There have been a number of releases in order to raise revenue for the government. Acts in 2015 (Bipartisan Budget Act), 2016 (21st Century Cures Act) and 2018 (Consolidated Appropriations Act) all have combinations of mandated and authorised sales of the reserve to fund the government. There was also an act which authorised the sale of some reserves to permit infrastructure improvements to the reserve. (Unsure if for funding, or just to empty out some caverns to do the work)

The actual purchase is going to be more than the 80mn difference from current to capacity, as the those three acts together require sales of 45mn barrels this year, and an addition 10 million per year over the next few years. Presumably the additional "authorised" as opposed to "mandated" sales will now not be conducted. There have been no acquisitions since 2005 beyond the results of some exhanges with petroleum companies (Give us crude now for us to work with, we'll give you some more back later).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Forgive me for thinking that accuracy and a willingness to consider possible reasonable alternative explanations should not be casualties of The Great Boards Trump Pile-On. Is “middle ground” a bad place to be? Indeed, what I find telling is that the complaint was not that I posted that Trump was wrong, but that I was not suitably insulting when I did so. Really?

I saw this about eight years ago on the other side. That Trump is more deserving of scorn than his predecessor is a given, but that does not mean that valid positions should be ignored any more now than then.

Genuine answer. If you will recall I am on record as saying I did not vote for Trump in 2016. I see no reason that he is any more deserving of my vote today, and find it unlikely that this position will change.

Apologies only seeing this now busy with events.

. nope I'm afraid not there's no middle ground left where trump is concerned it's eroded away to dust. An attempt to take the higher ground is what I expected and it's the reason I asked about the vote some people tend to be single issue voters and a simple second amendment swing could turn them . It's literally that basic.

If someone's trying to find meaning or a middle ground in the verbal diary of a man this inept then I reserve every right to question the motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Here we go again!

Trump speaks on a hugely important matter and within hours, swathes of his address are shown to have been misinformed, misleading or simply lies.

A snake oil salesman can't help selling snake oil. And the biggest thing about snake oil? It never does what it claims, and people die from taking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1238678006182350849?s=19

I believe that this goes again CDC recommendations.

What possible reason does he have *not* to be tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1238678006182350849?s=19

I believe that this goes again CDC recommendations.

What possible reason does he have *not* to be tested?

Because if he does, and he is infected, it'd be chaos

duploelabs wrote: »
    Because if he does, and he is infected, it'd be chaos

If he doesn't, he still may be infected, he will be in serious danger, and he will put others in jeopardy.

So that "reason", is no reason at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

everlast75 wrote: »
    If he doesn't, he still may be infected, he will be in serious danger, and he will put others in jeopardy.

So that "reason", is no reason at all.

Putting others in jeopardy is never high on Trump's concerns

duploelabs wrote: »
    Putting others in jeopardy is never high on Trump's concerns

Yes, but there must be another reason. He can't mask it if he gets it.

Does he think he is invincible? It flies in the face of him being a reported germaphobe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He has to get tested and he should be self isolating. If he has it he will most likely die in the next few weeks anyway so why not get tested? This is going to be unmitigated disaster is the USA. I have family there and they are oblivious. Schools still open, everyone going about life as normal. Deaths will be in the hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I wonder whether that germaphobe thing wasn't just a cover at some point in the past to "prove" that he hadn't had sex with some woman who was making an allegation. Like his doctor's notes to prove he had bone spurs or that he the healthiest man on the planet.

He doesn't give the impression of someone who's genuinely concerned about catching germs off other people, seems to positively relish a bit of handshaking, if only to prove what an alpha male he is. Remember all that carry on every time he met another head of government at the start of his presidency?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's an opinion piece about the 25th. Given how poorly Trump has behaved throughout this it's no great leap to believe that he'd resist it.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/13/trump-coronavirus-politics-25th-amendment-128701

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MadYaker wrote: »
    He has to get tested and he should be self isolating. If he has it he will most likely die in the next few weeks anyway so why not get tested? This is going to be unmitigated disaster is the USA. I have family there and they are oblivious. Schools still open, everyone going about life as normal. Deaths will be in the hundreds of thousands.

Could be. Here's an extract from a mailing list I'm on from a group I was member of in the US, which has regularly monthly meetings and has a lot of older members in the NY/NJ/CT area

"I would like to give my perspective on having the meeting. I am on the front lines with this disease. I have been in contact with officials in Asia and Europe. I think it would be irresponsible to have a meeting which consists of men, most of whom are over 70, thus falling into a high risk category. I currently have 15 staff under quarantine and approximately 15 patients in house. That number was 4 two days ago. What's the big deal in waiting to see what happens? If it's the cost of the food, have the club pay for it. Also, the Danbury club already canceled this months meeting. Guys, I care about you! Be smart!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Truly a leader of men.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement