Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1238678006182350849?s=19

I believe that this goes again CDC recommendations.

What possible reason does he have *not* to be tested?

It might show up some other medical impairment gained through "youthful" activities. I've also noticed his problem with reading what the teleprompter is showing him when it come to long words, like he needs reading glasses to spot the extra letter/s on the word/s. It's strange that others are continuing to shake to shake his hand. Mike Pence must have a degree of worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

delaad wrote: »
    Herd immunity,...check it out.

Okay then.

https://twitter.com/paulcolgan/status/1238586681873371138?s=19

Extrapolating the same figures for the USA population of 330m, means 60% of the population would have to get it for herd immunity to start having a full effect, that's 198m people.

A low mortality rate of 0.7% would equate to 1,386,000 people dying from it.

I don't see why you're implying the idea of herd immunity changes the fact that Trumps administration fired the WH global health security team and that he clearly did know about even if he didn't make the actual decision himself (which is questionable to say the least), and has left the US extremely vulnerable to the possible effects of coronavirus, but regardless, I have checked out herd immunity, and almost 1.5m people would likely die as a result of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not sure why people are surprised that trump doesn't take any responsibility for the response of the federal government given that he during the campaign in 2016 said he doesn't believe he has anything to ask god for forgiveness. This isn't a debate on the existence of god or anything like that but he's never had to nor does he believe he's wrong ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What are the odds of this destabilizing the governemnt if it turns out that Trump, a bunch of congressmen and senators have it? Plus probably a few of his cabinet and high ups in the military? It isn't out of the question anymore, look at the premiership in the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MadYaker wrote: »
    What are the odds of this destabilizing the governemnt if it turns out that Trump, a bunch of congressmen and senators have it? Plus probably a few of his cabinet and high ups in the military? It isn't out of the question anymore, look at the premiership in the uk.

Well You'd think coronavirus infection by a sitting president MIGHT fall into 25th amendment territory but not if he could carry on his duties. He'd have to get really sick for that to kick in, and given that pence is probably just as at risk than trump was then Nancy pelosi is the next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The US is showing all signs of being a hot bed of infection, given that not a lot is happening, beyond closing the doors, over the virus. Its all very well Trump closing the doors on Europe, it might be more relevant for Europe to close the doors on the US. The only reason, apparently, that they do not have exploding numbers of cases is because no-one is counting them.

looksee wrote: »
    The US is showing all signs of being a hot bed of infection, given that not a lot is happening, beyond closing the doors, over the virus. Its all very well Trump closing the doors on Europe, it might be more relevant for Europe to close the doors on the US. The only reason, apparently, that they do not have exploding numbers of cases is because no-one is counting them.

The problem will become more apparent in a week or 2 when the hospitals start to overflow.

The problem will become more apparent in a week or 2 when the hospitals start to overflow.

That Seattle hospital saying they’re on course to be northern Italy had within a couple of weeks says it all. The US will be hardest hit of all looking at the lack of testing and appalling response.
    Upshot is hopefully Trump will be held accountable. If he doesn’t have it already. He sounds terrible and looks sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think he is sick, just scared.

He knows he hasn't a clue, and he knows everyone else knows it to.

The reaction to his set piece national address would have hammered it home. Nobody is relying on him now, he has as much power as Irish President at this point.

All his bluster, all his bs, all his MAGA, all his hoaxes, it's all shown up for the bravado it always was. At a time when the country actually needed a leader, he failed.

And he knows it. And regardless of his bravado, it hurts to come face to face with your own limitations.

Of course he will try to bluff his way through it, try to pretend that nothing has changed, but he knows that nobody believes it anymore and more than that he knows he is no longer in charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Runaways wrote: »
    That Seattle hospital saying they’re on course to be northern Italy had within a couple of weeks says it all. The US will be hardest hit of all looking at the lack of testing and appalling response.
    Upshot is hopefully Trump will be held accountable. If he doesn’t have it already. He sounds terrible and looks sick.

Looking at the death toll in Italy versus that of the virus sick and how it's escalated so fast, the US is more than probably in for a very rough ride. Procrastination and inaction at Admin level is the cause. Don can lie to his peoples face all he wants but the truth is out. Mike Pence is equally at fault. On the basis that the memory of one bad thing you did lasts longer than memories of all the good things you did in peoples memories, their unwritten epitaphs will last longer than those on their tombstones.

I also think it's highly likely Trump himself is infected. Along with a good chunk of his administration and the wider government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's scary how inept he is and his surrounding administration

Hopefully the crisis will show most Americans the truth of their choice

I also think it's highly likely Trump himself is infected. Along with a good chunk of his administration and the wider government.

Bradley whitford tweeted last night that several people that were at mar a largo last weekend have been infected. I don’t know how he knows that but ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's scary how inept he is and his surrounding administration

Hopefully the crisis will show most Americans the truth of their choice
    For republicans it will be proof that Obama care does not work and for democrats it's another proof of that Trump is incompetent. The only hope is that some people in the middle ground makes up their own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That is a cracking read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Bradley whitford tweeted last night that several people that were at mar a largo last weekend have been infected. I don’t know how he knows that but ...
    Is that not the Brazilian presidential aid reference?
    The Brazilian leader had been under medical observation since his Communications Secretary Fabio Wajngarten tested positive for the virus on Thursday. Both officials were part of a delegation that met with U.S. President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence last weekend in Mar-a-Lago.

The Brazilian president who has been confirmed as infected and who last week said the virus was a myth.

Well he's the Deputy Chief of Staff, he should bloody well know.

The Brazilian president who has been confirmed as infected and who last week said the virus was a myth.

Well, the official line is that he's negative. But let's be realistic, he isn't.

Trump has definitely contracted the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't think he is sick, just scared.

He knows he hasn't a clue, and he knows everyone else knows it to.

The reaction to his set piece national address would have hammered it home. Nobody is relying on him now, he has as much power as Irish President at this point.

All his bluster, all his bs, all his MAGA, all his hoaxes, it's all shown up for the bravado it always was. At a time when the country actually needed a leader, he failed.

And he knows it. And regardless of his bravado, it hurts to come face to face with your own limitations.

Of course he will try to bluff his way through it, try to pretend that nothing has changed, but he knows that nobody believes it anymore and more than that he knows he is no longer in charge

He's seeing his 2nd term as president slipping away and if people start dying in big numbers he will go down in history as the president who failed the American people. Imagine thinking you are the best president in the history of the US and then finally realising that you will be talked about with contempt for generations to come.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Too lazy to dig out the link, but 538 ran an aggregation of Corona polling, which showed, somewhat depressingly, that reactions to the virus are partisan. Most Democrats treating it seriously, with only about a 3rd of Republicans recognising this outbreak as serious. It's a shocking indictment of American politics that even something as ostensibly neutral as a pandemic can show partisan, split sentiments. So honestly with that in mind, I don't see this having any effect on Trump's support. Not any major swings. By all accounts polls suggest they'll row behind his ignorance with gusto.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Too lazy to dig out the link, but 538 ran an aggregation of Corona polling, which showed, somewhat depressingly, that reactions to the virus are partisan. Most Democrats treating it seriously, with only about a 3rd of Republicans recognising this outbreak as serious. It's a shocking indictment of American politics that even something as ostensibly neutral as a pandemic can show partisan, split sentiments. So honestly with that in mind, I don't see this having any effect on Trump's support. Not any major swings. By all accounts polls suggest they'll row behind his ignorance with gusto.

When hunderds of thousands are dead and old people are dieing in their homes I think everyone will be taking it seriously. Trump is finished politically and if he truly is infected he will likely be dead soon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »

Well if by that metric, the Trump supporters aren't taking the precautions seriously so I think it will have a very real (and dark) impact on his voters as they'll all start getting infected and some even dying. And no Pete, I'm not wishing death on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Stopping flights from China then the EU were two great decisions by trump. He deserves credit for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Stopping flights from China then the EU were two great decisions by trump. He deserves credit for this.

Except the virus is spreading in the US

Stopping flights does nothing when you're country is already infected, testing works, he didn't order more of the latter so he doesn't deserve any credit whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

How did we reach a point where the nation known for being the richest and most powerful with teams of great scientists has had one of the, if not the worst response to the virus?
    I mean that is the league the US is in right now. They didn't even have working test kits ffs. You would feel bad for those in charge if it is was a 3rd world country.

Christy42 wrote: »
    How did we reach a point where the nation known for being the richest and most powerful with teams of great scientists has had one of the, if not the worst response to the virus?
    I mean that is the league the US is in right now. They didn't even have working test kits ffs. You would feel bad for those in charge if it is was a 3rd world country.

Because Trump doesn't need anyone telling him what to think, his brain is the best and smarter than anyone, his knowledge is insurmountable and therefore can't be challenged. Thing is in reality, he's as thick as f*cking **** and has got by by surrounding himself with 'yes men' rather than experts. It's this kind of top-down leadership that's lead the States to the shambles that it's in now, and will eventually lead them to the highest death toll per capita from this outbreak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Flights aren’t stopped from China though, only certain areas.
    The Eu ban only started now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement