Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Christy42 wrote: »
    How did we reach a point where the nation known for being the richest and most powerful with teams of great scientists has had one of the, if not the worst response to the virus?
    I mean that is the league the US is in right now. They didn't even have working test kits ffs. You would feel bad for those in charge if it is was a 3rd world country.

Because its become an Idiocracy - from top to bottom ruled by rumour, ignorance and an overehelming need to stick it to the "other", regardless of evidence or expert opinion. There are plenty of fine, learned people there but the idiots have taken over the power

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Stopping flights from China then the EU were two great decisions by trump. He deserves credit for this.

He fired the entire US pandemic response team. And slashed CDC budget.

What credit does he deserve when this is killing hundreds of thousands of Americans indiscriminately?

He deserves no credit.

He deserves all the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Flights aren’t stopped from China though, only certain areas.
    The Eu ban only started now.

One has to wonder who will have the final say [Tony the doc or Don] when China offers the US the same medical assistance Italy has accepted from it? I won't use an "if" ref the offer as China will be in a win/win situation with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

aloyisious wrote: »
    One has to wonder who will have the final say [Tony the doc or Don] when China offers the US the same medical assistance Italy has accepted from it? I won't use an "if" ref the offer as China will be in a win/win situation with it.

It’s at times like these a true leader steps up, sadly the USA is totally lacking one.
    Things are going to get real ugly over there.

It’s at times like these a true leader steps up, sadly the USA is totally lacking one.
    Things are going to get real ugly over there.

People here stockpiling toilet roll.

People over there stockpiling ammunition.

Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Runaways wrote: »
    He fired the entire US pandemic response team. And slashed CDC budget.

What credit does he deserve when this is killing hundreds of thousands of Americans indiscriminately?

He deserves no credit.

He deserves all the blame.

Even forgetting about those acts, HE. IS. STILL. LYING about the virus. People need to be informed.

And as for what is happening on Fox News, that is downright criminal. They are literally going to cause people to die through misinformation. There ought to be a criminal investigation.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Even forgetting about those acts, HE. IS. STILL. LYING about the virus. People need to be informed.

And as for what is happening on Fox News, that is downright criminal. They are literally going to cause people to die through misinformation. There ought to be a criminal investigation.

He just tweeted SOCIAL DISTANCING!

In all caps.

In all caps.

After shaking the hands of all those at the press conference.

Will he be cancelling his rallies?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/politics/pentagon-halts-domestic-travel-coronavirus/index.html

DoD restricting travel for service members now. Be curious how Trump will be able to portray himself as being strong on defense when his inaction has a direct impact on military readiness. Probably more airstrikes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

People here stockpiling toilet roll.

People over there stockpiling ammunition.

Seriously.

And toilet roll.

https://www.businessinsider.com/america-has-toilet-paper-why-are-we-hoarding-it-2020-3#100-rolls-a-year-2

I guess the folks stockpiling ammunition will be able to get more toilet roll later.
    Besides, the effective range of 9mm hollow-point is far better against the zombie apocalypse (or looters) than a four-pack of Charmin Ultra Soft.
    Be curious how Trump will be able to portray himself as being strong on defense when his inaction has a direct impact on military readiness.
    I'm sure commanders are looking at this as an opportunity for full-unit hip training. "What? You mean I have my entire company together for once, without anyone away on leave? XO! Get me range control and book me a training area!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say the smartest thing Trump has done in this crisis is putting Pence in charge of it. With the election coming up, he can blame it all on Pence and pick a new VP (likely Nikki Haley by most accounts).

Then again, if Pence turned on Trump in response to being sh*tcanned, imagine the stories he could come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In all caps.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238824050924883968

My brain can't handle him anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

White House says there's no need to test him even though they accept he had direct physical contact with a confirmed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I see Pelosi has a deal through the house with bipartisan approach. She seems to have just ditched Trump entirely and just doing what is needed to be done without him being involved. I feel like this needs to be pointed to counter the silliness of accusing Dems of using this to hurt Trump. They are most certainly trying to limit the damage that has been done here.

Democrats tried to get a serious sick leave policy in play. Republicans balked at treating poor people like people and just tried to push a tax cut in. Neither got in in an effort to get it through as required so Americans will get a basic sick leave policy for this year at least (when the Senate comes back next week).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

duploelabs wrote: »
    Because Trump doesn't need anyone telling him what to think, his brain is the best and smarter than anyone, his knowledge is insurmountable and therefore can't be challenged. Thing is in reality, he's as thick as f*cking **** and has got by by surrounding himself with 'yes men' rather than experts. It's this kind of top-down leadership that's lead the States to the shambles that it's in now, and will eventually lead them to the highest death toll per capita from this outbreak

American exceptionalism in action!

They still can't get their story straight

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1238865127597903873?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trump has been tested bbc ticker says, Mike Pence on the tellybox right now.

Flights Uk/ireland cancelled as of Monday afternoon

Hopefully thats true but I fully expect them to say he tested negative regardless. If he does have it he will at the very least become quite ill so it'll be obvious in time. If he doesn't have it he should really be self isolating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The BS press conference was about launching a test. The Germans had already offered them a test but Trump turned it down.

A former Chairman of the GOP said the politician giving the best lead at this time on the matter was, Joe Biden.

Michael Steele, former chairman of the Republican National Committee, said: “The most calming and reassuring presidential voice of the past 24 hours has been Joe Biden. As a Republican, this is hard for me to say but it’s true.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Let's be honest...
    The only way Trump can salvage any legacy from his presidency other than the Worst Ever President at this point is for him to die in office.

He may well be hoping the virus does him a favour.

• Advertisement

I also don't understand why he keeps announcing these flight restrictions. What difference does it make now? The disease is already widespread in America. Is it just so he can say he did something?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

MadYaker wrote: »
    I also don't understand why he keeps announcing these flight restrictions. What difference does it make now? The disease is already widespread in America. Is it just so he can say he did something?

As with everything else, the implication is that foreigners coming into the country is the main cause of the issue, rather than his own inaction on ensuring people can get tested.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I see Pelosi has a deal through the house with bipartisan approach. She seems to have just ditched Trump entirely and just doing what is needed to be done without him being involved. I feel like this needs to be pointed to counter the silliness of accusing Dems of using this to hurt Trump. They are most certainly trying to limit the damage that has been done here.

Democrats tried to get a serious sick leave policy in play. Republicans balked at treating poor people like people and just tried to push a tax cut in. Neither got in in an effort to get it through as required so Americans will get a basic sick leave policy for this year at least (when the Senate comes back next week).

It still has to clear the Senate but I reckon the cards are face up on the table now for them. Don has apparently to sign off on it as well, though even if he was mean-minded about that I reckon the senate-side of the GOP would have to face him down, by Mitch & Co visiting him for a chat.

There's an article in todays Irish Indo about Joe Bidens campaign. It has a new manager, Jen O'Carroll-Dillon, who managed Beto O'Rourke's campaign. According to the article, the campaign has staff and underfunding problems. As I read it in the paper itself [under a two-person by-line] I don't have a link for the article. Its almost full page & past the middle page, near the sports section.

No doubt this will bring cheer to Dons heart. It surprised me to hear of the funding problems as Mike Bloomberg's campaign manager said Mike was going to fund the Democrats in order to hurt Dons campaign success. Given her name, there has to be an Irish connection there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And were this a boards user, Trump would get slapped with a justified "Mod; no one liners please." But then this is the sitting President so we gotta parse an inane tweet as worthy of mature analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

He has no self awareness, I remember a Fox poll from last year only 17% of people said his tweeting was helpful. Serious issues he ends with exclamation points and they just come across insincere.

It's not the tweeting that's the problem, it's the content of the tweets. If he had stuck to just tweeting important info with a tweet writer his polling would be much better.

"Few voters approve of President Trump’s tweeting, and most agree it’s making his job harder.

Seventy-one percent say the president’s tweets are hurting his agenda, according to the latest Fox News Poll. Just 17 percent see the tweets as helpful."

President Donald Trump has extended his coronavirus travel ban to flights from the UK and Ireland coming into the United States. The travel freeze will kick in at midnight tomorrow, scuppering work and holiday plans for Britons who had organised trans-Atlantic trips.

Under the restrictions, American citizens, green card holders and others are still allowed to return home - but will be funnelled to 13 airports and subjected to health screenings and quarantine orders.

Edit: the above is from the Daily Mail Online. I don't know why there's a discrepancy between its stated ban date and the Midnight Monday date on TV news programmes. RTE has that as 4AM Eastern standard time - clock-time differences are confusing. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8112417/US-travel-ban-Europe-set-extended-UK-Ireland-Monday-night.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Foreign people bad, remember. That's the mantra of the entire Trump administration. It'll go down well with his base because they'll already be parroting the "foreign virus" thing that Trump and Fox have been promoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Too lazy to dig out the link, but 538 ran an aggregation of Corona polling, which showed, somewhat depressingly, that reactions to the virus are partisan. Most Democrats treating it seriously, with only about a 3rd of Republicans recognising this outbreak as serious. It's a shocking indictment of American politics that even something as ostensibly neutral as a pandemic can show partisan, split sentiments. So honestly with that in mind, I don't see this having any effect on Trump's support. Not any major swings. By all accounts polls suggest they'll row behind his ignorance with gusto.

And those Trump supporters are the prime targets for the nanosilver "coronavirus cure' products being hawked like snake oil by the likes of Alex Jones and Jim Bakker. These are considered by Trump as 'very fine people ' and are widely believed by the Trump cult.

Fcuking lunatics with a massive hold over this Administration!!

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Too lazy to dig out the link, but 538 ran an aggregation of Corona polling, which showed, somewhat depressingly, that reactions to the virus are partisan. Most Democrats treating it seriously, with only about a 3rd of Republicans recognising this outbreak as serious. It's a shocking indictment of American politics that even something as ostensibly neutral as a pandemic can show partisan, split sentiments. So honestly with that in mind, I don't see this having any effect on Trump's support. Not any major swings. By all accounts polls suggest they'll row behind his ignorance with gusto.

If the poll correlation is right, then those who don't take it seriously are more in the GOP camp rather than the Dem camp, then it will have a knock-on effect when it comes to voting time. I'd imagine that the GOP survivors will also have cause to remember who fed them the line that it'll be all right on the night. If they don't, then they'll have been suckered twice by the same gent and party.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement