Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Any link to the debate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AmilcarAlho

Any link to the debate ?

https://democrats.org/debate-live-stream/, I believe CNN is streaming on their website as well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

https://democrats.org/debate-live-stream/, I believe CNN is streaming on their website as well

Trying to get it going on CNN has been a mare.

Never thought about the Dems site.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    Stop the nonsense. Both are good and going at it. Americans would be mighty glad to have either in the WH ATM.

Sadly, any thoughts one might have had about either of these geriatrics being 'the best candidate to beat Trump' have become irrelevant. The fact is that there are only two possible Dem candidates to stand against Trump, and either one of them would be so much better than the mentally unstable, incompetent, sociopathic ... geriatric that is currently in the job and failing miserably at it.

By the end of March, US hospitals will have become overrun by cases and will not be able to cope in April at all. Because of what has already NOT been done, 1.4 million people will have died in the US - there's no way to stop that now. Each additional day of further inaction will result in many more deaths in the early months (because of total breakdown of the health system) than would have happened if better preparations had been made. When the American people find that out, assuming it's not hidden like existing attempts to keep numbers low, there will be outrage at the Administration's handling.

Either Biden or Sanders (or indeed Homer J Simpson) will be seen as a massively better hope for America than Trump.

The Governor of Ohio said today that their current cases amount to way less than 100. He believes that 100,000 ppl are actually infected in OH but have not been tested. Imagine what that will look like by April with the current rate of infectiousness leading to a doubling of infected cases every 3 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,066 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It'll mean a distinct shortage of Presidential candidates, including the incumbent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This political advert is brutal for Trump. Absolutely brutal.

https://twitter.com/biden_brigade/status/1238916765964554242?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Its not being doomsayer to say the facts are out there for those with unblinkered eyes to see them - queues. When people look around and see their family & friends absent and the funerals begin growing in number, they will want to find some-one to blame. Its just a case now of them zeroing in on Don. He has no one to pass the buck on to.

As a twitter-user, Don almost definitely won't be able to resist looking at the content of the above Biden Ad and respond to it.

On an aside, the Fed's support act for the market, I read somewhere that the Fed had done the same several times recently and this while the markets were reasonably ok, as distinct from the situation in & after 2008 when the market-bubble had burst and there was a definite need for the reserve to get in and save the dollar. Is this correct? If so, how much lower can the Fed keep cutting the interest rate and infusing the market with fresh dollars before it gets into minus interest rate levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

everlast75 wrote: »
    This political advert is brutal for Trump. Absolutely brutal.

https://twitter.com/biden_brigade/status/1238916765964554242?s=19

Sadly his rabid core voters will just label it fake news. Even when presented with something like that, they will find a way to dismiss it.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world looks on in horror at his lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Love for some of the trump fanatics to try and excuse his disgusting attempt to purchase one of the in development vaccines exclusively for the US

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

VinLieger wrote: »
    Love for some of the trump fanatics to try and excuse his disgusting attempt to purchase one of the in development vaccines exclusively for the US

They will just call it a lie or fake news as usual. Doesn't matter who has confirmed it, if Trump says it's a lie/fake news then that's good enough for them.

• Advertisement

Not a Trump defender in sight here. That's how bad this is.

Back when he was elected, people said he was grossly incompetent and a prolific liar. Anyone suckered in by this guy should take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

everlast75 wrote:
    Back when he was elected, people said he was grossly incompetent and a prolific liar. Anyone suckered in by this guy should take a long hard look at themselves.

His base don't care, they'd follow him to the moon, millions will still vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

His voter base is gonna get hit hard

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-republicans-denial-fox-news-trump-war-on-science-20200315.html

This is not something im cheering over for any trump fanatics who will try and jump on it, this is incredibly sad, these people were lied to for decades and the people who lied to them will not be paying any price for the crime they crimes they committed but many of these poor people are still going to die because of the lies they believed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Fed aggressively injecting money (700bn QE round) and lowering interest rates (from 1 - 1.25% to 0 - .25%) starting today. This is really scary, this is the biggest one day 'intervention' in Fed history.

It was coordinated with central banks worldwide including the ECB and BofE. This feels as scary as the end of 2008 was under GWB.

I'd expect bleak numbers going forward for the rest of the year. Not good for #IMPOTUS reelection at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

Igotadose wrote: »
    Fed aggressively injecting money (700bn QE round) and lowering interest rates (from 1 - 1.25% to 0 - .25%) starting today. This is really scary, this is the biggest one day 'intervention' in Fed history.

It was coordinated with central banks worldwide including the ECB and BofE. This feels as scary as the end of 2008 was under GWB.

I'd expect bleak numbers going forward for the rest of the year. Not good for #IMPOTUS reelection at all.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/federal-reserve-cuts-rates-to-zero-and-launches-massive-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

People need to have confidence in the guy in charge. They need to be reassured not to panic. They need to be given practical advice on how to deal with things. They need a guy who can lead by example. They need someone who cares about the general public. They need someone with intelligence and faith in scientific evidence.

Unfortunately, we have Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

aloyisious wrote: »
    The mindset of a hotel manager who can employ cheap labour to hoover the floors and put fresh sheets & towels in rooms, no experience necessary.

Ain't that the truth, looks like the German Vaccine story has grown some legs; guess he reckoned that grabbing these virologists would be a case of throwing money at the issue and they'd pack bags for the glorious USA.

As said already, it'll be denied by the True Believers, or Trump himself, but the mask certainly slipped with this news. Not just dangerously incompetent, stunningly naive, but a genuinely abhorrent human being whose isolationist "America First" viewpoint would see the world burn if it wasn't willing to pay the price for a Vaccine. His credentials as an empathic creature are now completely shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Is the administration's attempt to "buy" the virologists and their research being covered widely in the US media?

Trump's supporters will surely just rationalise this behaviour as their leader trying to make America safe and putting Americans first.. The essence of his tagline... it's what he promised them all along.
    Of course many of their senior friends will be dead. But will they put two and two together and realise that the man they've chosen is incompetent and doesn't have the intelligence or integrity to manage this situation.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth, looks like the German Vaccine story has grown some legs; guess he reckoned that grabbing these virologists would be a case of throwing money at the issue and they'd pack bags for the glorious USA.

As said already, it'll be denied by the True Believers, or Trump himself, but the mask certainly slipped with this news. Not just dangerously incompetent, stunningly naive, but a genuinely abhorrent human being whose isolationist "America First" viewpoint would see the world burn if it wasn't willing to pay the price for a Vaccine. His credentials as an empathic creature are now completely shot.

I may be taking a step into the [as for now] unverifiable now. Its my understanding that the CDC can work on the cause of illnesses [virus] to try and figure out its weaknesses and advise/instil in the public the message on how to avoid/defeat the virus. The CDC does not produce the anti-virus itself, that's left to the Pharma giants, who have both their own labs and the production lines. The media conference Don presided over the other day included representatives of the Pharma industry likely to have the cash to pay for the gen from other countries Pharma industries, + they are corporations without national borders, Roche [pronounced Ro - shay] from Basel in Switzerland.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I may be taking a step into the [as for now] unverifiable now. Its my understanding that the CDC can work on the cause of illnesses [virus] to try and figure out its weaknesses and advise/instil in the public the message on how to avoid/defeat the virus. The CDC does not produce the anti-virus itself, that's left to the Pharma giants, who have both their own labs and the production lines. The media conference Don presided over the other day included representatives of the Pharma industry likely to have the cash to pay for the gen from other countries Pharma industries, + they are corporations without international borders.

Slate did a profile of the CEO's at that meeting. The Walmart CEO offered parking lots for (as of yet nonexistent) drive-through testing. Several of the others lead companies that will profit big time, like testing companies, med equipment companies, etc. Let's see if they can actually mobilize under pressure like what happened during WWII. I doubt it, it's not my parent's USA anymore.
    https://slate.com/business/2020/03/trump-thinks-ceos-will-save-america-from-coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It looks like Mike Pence will have to be jettisoned in Trump 's 2020 bid. Resulting from Biden's commitment to select a woman as his running mate last night, and Sanders' almost-commitment, Don has a great chance to divorce himself from Mike. By giving Mike the poisoned chalice of head of the Coronavirus task force, which is not going to look good on his CV by election day, Trump will cut him loose as a way of attempting to exonerate himself from any blame for the ****show that is the Administration 's Covid response.

Nikki Haley would appear to be the current favourite for the gig, but I'd say she 's need serious convincing of Don's electability before she 'd consider it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Crazy that he was calling US citizens 'consumers' yesterday

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Nikki Haley would appear to be the current favourite for the gig, but I'd say she 's need serious convincing of Don's electability before she 'd consider it.

Oh, she's not doing anything. He crooks his finger, she comes running. It's Trump's backers will make the decision.

I agree though, the stage is set to throw Pence under the bus.

Slate did a profile of the CEO's at that meeting. The Walmart CEO offered parking lots for (as of yet nonexistent) drive-through testing. Several of the others lead companies that will profit big time, like testing companies, med equipment companies, etc. Let's see if they can actually mobilize under pressure like what happened during WWII. I doubt it, it's not my parent's USA anymore.
    https://slate.com/business/2020/03/trump-thinks-ceos-will-save-america-from-coronavirus.html

The Walmart thing was rapidly reminding me of Theranos.

Crazy that he was calling US citizens 'consumers' yesterday

I watched a documentary on Jared last night and that's the word he used IIRC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Had also thought trump was lining pence up to be the fall guy. But nope. He just keeps digging his own hole.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1239394731089690624?s=21

Slate did a profile of the CEO's at that meeting. The Walmart CEO offered parking lots for (as of yet nonexistent) drive-through testing. https://slate.com/business/2020/03/trump-thinks-ceos-will-save-america-from-coronavirus.html

While it, at 1st hand, sounds like a worthwhile offer from Walmart, I reckon the drive-through parking lots wont be in its open stores lots. Imagine the reaction of watching shoppers if you drive through & get the test, then park beside their cars & get out at the store to join their shopping queues. Not a clever marketing ploy in reality.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I watched a documentary on Jared last night and that's the word he used IIRC

That the Dirty Money episode? The man is basically a slum lord from Dickensian times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It looks like Mike Pence will have to be jettisoned in Trump 's 2020 bid. Resulting from Biden's commitment to select a woman as his running mate last night, and Sanders' almost-commitment, Don has a great chance to divorce himself from Mike. By giving Mike the poisoned chalice of head of the Coronavirus task force, which is not going to look good on his CV by election day, Trump will cut him loose as a way of attempting to exonerate himself from any blame for the ****show that is the Administration 's Covid response.

A few weeks ago this might have been a plausible scenario but Haley isn't stupid and won't want to permanently ruin herself by associating herself with Trump's spectacular cock up of the Coronavirus crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder when or if this all properly goes sideways , will it be the final straw that breaks the back of the Trump-Pence relationship - one that has weathered the storm of Trump's mood swings and rotating door administration. If Pence is thrown to the wolves, I can't see the VP just sitting and taking it, not unless he's promised something in the background to take it on the chin. Is there even historical precedent of a VP switch, barring health issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder when or if this all properly goes sideways , will it be the final straw that breaks the back of the Trump-Pence relationship - one that has weathered the storm of Trump's mood swings and rotating door administration. If Pence is thrown to the wolves, I can't see the VP just sitting and taking it, not unless he's promised something in the background to take it on the chin. Is there even historical precedent of a VP switch, barring health issues?

Could present a power struggle within the republican senators, who to back? Who in the medium to long term represents a more stable element in this crisis?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement