Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So...

Is this going to go away in April? Trump said it would. Anyone want to stand behind that claim? RIGOLO?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Water John wrote: »
    Dana Bash has it from WH staff that a major reason for Trump's turn in Covid -19 is that he hasn't the time to listen to, conservative media, or talk to his regular contacts.

To be fair Carlson has been talking about it since January and he met Trump last week to tell him the cop the **** on about it.

The likes of Graham were on the "it will be grand bandwagon!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Dana Bash has it from WH staff that a major reason for Trump's turn in Covid -19 is that he hasn't the time to listen to, conservative media, or talk to his regular contacts.

I imagine the figures he is being presented with are a bit bigger than he thought to face. While he has yet to reach proper statesmanship I imagine it is harder to be quite as bombastic when you know the numbers the public will be seeing soon.

He will be getting briefings with (estimated) total rates. Not just confirmed. They were not far off doubling the number of cases they found in a day. I don't think that is a bad day. I think testing has just ramped up and more of that number is being confirmed.

He is out of his depth and lives are on the line. Hopefully local governers and state bodies have done enough early enough but testing is potentially the most vital component and that was f'd up centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm watching CNN now reporting on the Florida caucus and they have Biden as winning it. There's one thing in the polls they've been taking from voters and that's what they want taken care of for them by whomever gets into office, and that's healthcare. I don't know how a poll taken of republican voters using the same questions would turn out for what would top the list but I'd say healthcare would count high on the list. It has now the capability to be the deciding factor in the Presidential election.

Now if Don and the GOP in the Senate & house continue to try eliminate the healthcare system from the Obama era, then it seems to me they should have a look over their shoulders at their followers right now with such a terrible health threat increasing in size for them all. No one is invincible to the virus. The senior courts deciding on the legality of the healthcare system might also need to take public care into consideration when deciding on the issue following on from the appeal court decision which handed them this headache. If they deny the public actual healthcare insurance protection when they decide on the issue then all hell might break out as the virus continues to kill people. There will likely be a side effect on those who survive a virus attack and that their health will be impaired by the virus leaving them open to harm from other lesser illnesses, such as the common flu.

I'd like to know what people from the GOP side of the debate think about healthcare being a factor in deciding who the next president will be, like do they rate the healthcare provision as important now as Democrat voters do? Tonight the Governor of New York State, Andrew Cuomo, has said the plan by NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio for a stay at home plan for NYC residents to reduce the number of people mingling will not be allowed go ahead.

If you've read this before I edited it, take a look back through it again please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So...

Is this going to go away in April? Trump said it would. Anyone want to stand behind that claim? RIGOLO?

Wiggles is getting to re-live the end of 2008 when Hank Paulson went begging and started TARP. TARP was peanuts compared to what they're throwing around for COVID-19. Imagine if the UBI equivalent they're talking about happens. BTW, I was reminded yesterday that the first UBI proposal came back in the day from George McGovern. Imagine that.

Wiggles never did seem to understand what happened then though, maybe it's too far in the past for him. Well, now he gets a ringside seat at a collapse.

As usual, GOP in power, crater the economy.

Also, Wiggles has nothing to say about the economy now. Mnuchin apparently said expect 20% unemployment in the USA. 20%! So much for 'record' employment including minority unemployment. That didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump *still* hasn't learned his lesson

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1240041940235825153?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Big Don's Coronavirus timeline :cool:
    Jan. 22: "It's going to be just fine. We have it totally under control."

Jan. 24: "It will all work out well."

Jan. 30: "We think we have it very well under control."

Feb. 7: "… as the weather starts to warm & the virus hopefully becomes weaker, and then gone."

Feb. 10: "I think the virus is going to be -- it's going to be fine."

Feb. 14: "... we’re in very good shape."

Feb. 19: "I think it's going to work out fine."

Feb. 24: "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA."

Feb. 25: "You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country. We have very few people with it ..."

Feb. 26: "Because of all we've done, the risk to the American people remains very low."

Feb. 28: "I think it's really going well."

Feb. 28: "It's going to disappear. One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear."

Feb. 28: "This is their new hoax."

March 4: "Some people will have this at a very light level and won't even go to a doctor or hospital, and they'll get better."

March 10: "... it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away."

March 11: "I think we're going to get through it very well."

March 12: "It's going to go away. ... The United States, because of what I did and what the administration did with
    China, we have 32 deaths at this point..."

March 15: "This is a very contagious virus. It's incredible. But it's something that we have tremendous control over."

March 16: "If you're talking about the virus, no, that's not under control for any place in the world."

March 17: "I've always known this is a, this is a real, this is a pandemic … I've felt that it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A pathetic, petty man that in a time of existential crisis for ordinary people, he can't resist the kneejerk desire to use superlatives about himself. To talk himself up despite the evidence of ones eyes and ears. Of course he ALWAYS knew it was a Pandemic before it was called one. If only our experts and professionals had the latent prescience and talent of a New York Real Estate man.

I have no great grá for Leo Varadker - I think his economic beliefs are a pox - but to listen to his speech from last night it's night & day in terms of leadership and setting the mood. Ours was calm, eloquent, rational - and importantly, pragmatic yet hopeful & optimistic. A true statesman in a time of crisis. Donald Trump can't back down for a second, can't halt his insecurity for 30 seconds without papering over his plainly fragile ego at the expense of a degree of open Leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

pixelburp wrote: »
    A pathetic, petty man that in a time of existential crisis for ordinary people, he can't resist the kneejerk desire to use superlatives about himself. To talk himself up despite the evidence of ones eyes and ears. Of course he ALWAYS knew it was a Pandemic before it was called one. If only our experts and professionals had the latent prescience and talent of a New York Real Estate man.

I have no great grá for Leo Varadker - I think his economic beliefs are a pox - but to listen to his speech from last night it's night & day in terms of leadership and setting the mood. Ours was calm, eloquent, rational - and importantly, pragmatic yet hopeful & optimistic. A true statesman in a time of crisis. Donald Trump can't back down for a second, can't halt his insecurity for 30 seconds without papering over his plainly fragile ego at the expense of a degree of open Leadership.
    +1 for Leo quoting Churchill in that speech. Imagine if they can't reconstitute a government and there's another election in a couple months; just keep airing that speech, FG will landslide into office (yeah yeah sorry outside the forum charter.)

15,000 projected cases in Ireland per that speech - everyone will know someone who has tested positive. Scary times.

As for Trump, one US friend said, "I'd vote for Dr. Fauci. Run him!" To me, he's losing his voice from contradicting Trump every day. They need to get Trump away from the tweets and the camera. Wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And wonder how many people will be fooled by Trump's (and Fox News) abrupt u-turn? Will all the previous be simply forgotten about, that he is now taking it seriously so all past mistakes are simply forgotten?

The past 4 years would indicate that yes, people are happy to forgive and forget.

I am not buying it at all. He has given no indication of why he has suddenly changed, why he has has gone from the man that said he knew so much about this type of thing, the man that said he didn't want a ship to dock because the numbers would be bad, a man that only two days ago was gladly handshaking all those around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At the daily press conf, they still are not, social distancing. Lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

pixelburp wrote: »

That's the same Leo who thought delivering a bowl of shamrocks last week was more important than taking this seriously? A decision that probably led to complacency from the general population who merrily went off on trips to the UK and Spain amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The coronavirus, meanwhile, has now reached all 50 states in the United States, after West Virginia reported its first case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

At the daily press conf, they still are not, social distancing. Lead by example.

I've been saying this for days. They're squashed up around podium desperately trying to get their heads into the screen. And a large number of them in the high risk category.
    An absolute farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Call me Al wrote: »
    I've been saying this for days. They're squashed up around podium desperately trying to get their heads into the screen. And a large number of them in the high risk category.
    An absolute farce.

Its remarkable, and sure Trump is still shaking hands with everyone he meets as well. After being in meetings with several people that have confirmed cases. They really are clueless, the lot of them.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its remarkable, and sure Trump is still shaking hands with everyone he meets as well. After being in meetings with several people that have confirmed cases. They really are clueless, the lot of them.

Compare to our own (and presumably most countries) where they have the podiums miles apart and the camera needs to swing between them. It shows a bit more respect and that the leaders are leading by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Billy Mays wrote: »

That list would make an excellent campaign Ad for either Joe or Bernie come Nov.

aloyisious wrote: »
    That list would make an excellent campaign Ad for either Joe or Bernie come Nov.

Yes, I think after this he will be a lame duck come November.
    All the opposition will need to talk about is his behaviour in February and March.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Call me Al wrote: »
    An absolute farce.

I have often wondered, quite a part from the CV outbreak, why they do this. Even in times of mass shootings etc, you will have the local police sheriff (or whatever) speaking at the podium with 10, 15 maybe 20 people around them.

Many of them never say a word. I get the idea of the picture, but having to stand there facing the press for 10 or 15 minutes seems an awful waste of everyones time.

It is even more crazy in such a situation as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Billy Mays wrote: »

Despite these facts, a contact of mine who is a member of his evangelical base thinks he has done brilliantly and his leadership has greatly reduced potential fatalities...

WTF?

Christy42 wrote: »
    Compare to our own (and presumably most countries) where they have the podiums miles apart and the camera needs to swing between them. It shows a bit more respect and that the leaders are leading by example.

And it isn't that they aren't aware. They've all the media separated so it's something the admin is clearly aware of.
    Just not Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What will transpire over the next 8 weeks will be a real shock to the whole system. The fall out politically and economically will be massive.
    Trump will find it very hard not to misstep.

So with this Chinese virus malarkey it seems like the most likely reason is that Corona has too many syllables?

I mean it doesn't belong to the China so it is the only possibility I can think of. Maybe we should call it the Covefe virus? He knows what that is and might be able to say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So with this Chinese virus malarkey it seems like the most likely reason is that Corona has too many syllables?

I mean it doesn't belong to the China so it is the only possibility I can think of. Maybe we should call it the Covefe virus? He knows what that is and might be able to say it.

It's part of a 'blame China' messaging and is all over the hard right wing media (as well as 'the Wuhan virus') including Fox and Breitbart as well as many Rep congress people. No doubt it stems from the fact that it was first contracted in Wuhan, China.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Foreigners bad. That's the basic message they're trying to get across by calling it a "foreign virus". No doubt the brainchild of Stephen Miller.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It's part of a 'blame China' messaging and is all over the hard right wing media including Fox and Breitbart as well as many Rep congress people.

Oh it absolutely using the virus as propoganda for their own ends and completely planned.

He knows he has messed up at this stage and needs to lay the blame on anyone else. It has been his entire MO his entire administration. It may even work.

As long as he doesn't come out as pro abortion he will have a massive voting block sown up.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Foreigners bad. That's the basic message they're trying to get across by calling it a "foreign virus". No doubt the brainchild of Stephen Miller.

Right now it's the only real way they have to avert blame from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And wonder how many people will be fooled by Trump's (and Fox News) abrupt u-turn? Will all the previous be simply forgotten about, that he is now taking it seriously so all past mistakes are simply forgotten?

The past 4 years would indicate that yes, people are happy to forgive and forget.

As soon as Trump has a new scapegoat to pin it all on, they will!

Probably more activity in the White House over the past week trying to find some connection between their mismanagement of the outbreak and either elected Democrats "Those Dems in congress were stopping us from reacting..." or senior officials in national health/virology/logistics departments hired by Obama "This would have been over in March but....these people...ObamahiresImightpointout.....didnt operate outside their remit or without our orders to do what needed to be done....totally their fault...NOT MINE..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What will transpire over the next 8 weeks will be a real shock to the whole system. The fall out politically and economically will be massive.
    Trump will find it very hard not to misstep.

Bad for trump but a great gift to nationalism. If it's not solved soon then we are no doubt facing long term economic changes. I think alot of people on here don't realize we are living in the most globalised free market era ever. Trump has done nothing to change this, but the effects from this event he could only dream of. His policy's have done nothing for America, just look at the tcja.

Who knows vaccine tomorrow and all will be forgotten.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement