Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's all the media's fault.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1240677871166898183?s=19

Jesus. Everyone else's fault apart from his.

He literally just answered a question on the virus and confirmed that he knew it was a pandemic, he knew it was coming for months before anyone knew he knew.

The very next question regarding upping N95 mask production and the issues with ramping...
    He says, This is a pandemic, epidimic situation that no-one say coming.

He said he say it coming?
    Which is it?
    If he saw it coming, why was he dismissing it until the 17th?

He's a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus... Someone from One America News went to ask a question, Trump complimented them because OAN is always fair to him, and then she asks him if he considers the term Chinese Food racist because it originates from China, then starts going off on "left wing media" for always being so negative about him and forwarding Communist State propaganda about him

May as well have had Don Jr. sitting in the media pool in a wig and fake moustache

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lovely planted question there from O.A.N, use the far right's alt news channel to smear credible journalistic outlets and then end the presser.

The optics here are shocking IMO.
    Very manipulating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the meat of that conference was the announcement the US would start prescribing an anti-malaria drug as a treatment against Corona, making the glib assertion that "The nice thing is it’s been around for a long time so if things don’t go as planned then it’s not gonna kill anybody, ..." - so naturally my first instinct is to assume it absolutely could kill some people.

I digress though. This is the first I've heard of any medicinal treatment, let alone a left-field one; is this just some wild swing in the dark here, or is there even any tangential evidence anti-malaria drugs can work?

Read this in the Journal, where of course half the comments were cheering Trump's decisiveness for "trying something", mixed with the usual anti government / EU ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

My regrets to the US families losing members to the virus. Reading of one where the eldest died not knowing her son & daughter were dead and 4 others were sick from it.

Re his talking about people sitting too close to each other in the briefing room, that's an open door for the media to ask him can he get better health arrangements for them and his staffers in line with the HSS/CDC guidelines on the virus and social spacing. The seating for reporters in the garden was simply stacking people together, including at the rostrum area. A reporter should ask Dr Fauci from the floor for his opinion on it as its contrary to his advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Well I've taken anti-malarials and I'm definitely not dead. As to its effect well we can only hope for now. Not very confident

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pixelburp wrote: »
    I digress though. This is the first I've heard of any medicinal treatment, let alone a left-field one; is this just some wild swing in the dark here, or is there even any tangential evidence anti-malaria drugs can work?

I had not heard about any anti malaria drugs being considered but Remdesivir, a HIV anti viral, has been showing promising results since January when it was first tested in China and i think Hong Kong, apparently the EU is still looking into it being approved for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm listening to trump speak now at the White House and he sounds to me surpisingly presidential. Well as presidential as he can compared to how he normally sounds.

Do you mean normal? Presidential seems a tad too far. He still talked a load of nonsense and lied a few times.

So the meat of that conference was the announcement the US would start prescribing an anti-malaria drug as a treatment against Corona, making the glib assertion that "The nice thing is it’s been around for a long time so if things don’t go as planned then it’s not gonna kill anybody, ..." - so naturally my first instinct is to assume it absolutely could kill some people.

Read this in the Journal, where of course half the comments were cheering Trump's decisiveness for "trying something", mixed with the usual anti government / EU ranting.

Depends on which anti-malaria drug he's become aware of. Hopefully it's not Mefloquine/Lariam. It was withdrawn by its US maker years ago as it caused severe mood swings in people using it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

VinLieger wrote: »
    I had not heard about any anti malaria drugs being considered but Remdesivir, a HIV anti viral, has been showing promising results since January when it was first tested in China and i think Hong Kong, apparently the EU is still looking into it being approved for treatment.
    aloyisious wrote: »
    Depends on which anti-malaria drug he's become aware of. Hopefully it's not Mefloquine/Lariam. It was withdrawn by its US maker years ago as it caused severe mood swings in people using it.

According to theJournal, it's chloroquine if that gives any insight to side effects or issues. That's interesting about the HIV drug that there's precedent of it being a potential candidate, so I guess(?) the use of chloroquine isn't coming out of thin air.

And that it's not ... ya know, some grift by a Pharma company who had a word in the right ear. It's conspiratorial on my part I get, but I wouldn't trust Trump to tell me the right time, let alone convince me that some random drug was a potential treatment. But then some think any action is good, so hey ho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

He never ceases to amaze

vrw6m26yojn41.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Oh yes, it was tan suit and mustard scandal! You are quite right.

Sure there was so many earth shattering scandals in that administration it is hard to keep track of them all!!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

According to theJournal, it's chloroquine if that gives any insight to side effects or issues. That's interesting about the HIV drug that there's precedent of it being a potential candidate, so I guess(?) the use of chloroquine isn't coming out of thin air.

And that it's not ... ya know, some grift by a Pharma company who had a word in the right ear. It's conspiratorial on my part I get, but I wouldn't trust Trump to tell me the right time, let alone convince me that some random drug was a potential treatment. But then some think any action is good, so hey ho.

It might be part of the cure, one of a trio used in unison against the virus, each having a different way of attacking it and killing it off [as far as lab work shows so far]. This source provides what it says is info from Nigeria and China but is sceptical of the information's clinical basis and reality. It'd be nice if trials showed, over an extended time, it did help the other two drugs to prevent reproduction of and kill off the virus. https://dubawa.org/chloroquine-does-not-cure-coronavirus/

RTE right now are talking of a drug [MRNA] undergoing trials now - Philip Boucher-Hays on Drive-time [which does have a podcast]. It involves Bill Gates and SEPI. Edit: I may have written the drug down wrongly, it might be MRWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus reading some reddit threads on this is frightening, they are not ready for this in any way, there are by all accounts still a hell of alot of people not taking it seriously and it will rip through the country thanks to Trump.

There does seem to be an improvement in the numbers tested up to yesterday which, according to The Independent, is 41,000. However that is coloured by comparison with S/Korea which tested 274,000 within a month as against 25,000 for the US for the same period. The difference being one got into the fight faster than the other. I suspect, due to the rapid climb in US tested figures, the month mentioned is February and the difference has occurred this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm going to say this but that's not the full quote. He started talking about people sitting in the briefing room too close to each other.

Sorry - the start of the press conference began with him slating the press, saying that they were prepared for the pandemic, but not for the media who had treated him very bad.

The comment about the amount of journalists was regarding social distancing, but in conjunction with what he said in that quote was that he only liked 2 or 3 of them, presumably those that *did not* blame him.

In essence, everyone else's fault.

https://twitter.com/jabinbotsford/status/1240701140141879298?s=19

I guess he's given up on the Asian American vote.

Doesn't this contrast greatly with the message being pumped out by Trump and the Republicans at that time?

Knowing things were much worse and not telling the public jeopardised peoples' lives.

https://twitter.com/Politidope/status/1240640456268095489?s=20

An advert was made based upon this already...

https://twitter.com/mrbenwexler/status/1240728618629652482?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If the virus outbreak started in England, was suppressed and denied until eventual global shutdown, and then english officials started saying it was Ireland that really caused it, and Varadkar commited the sin of making a point to call it the 'English Virus', would anyone have a problem with it?

It was the Wuhan virus right up until the chinese communist party started handing out the talking points to journalists and grifters in the West who would do their bidding almost reflexively.

If the virus outbreak started in England, was suppressed and denied until eventual global shutdown, and then english officials started saying it was Ireland that really caused it, and Varadkar commited the sin of making a point to call it the 'English Virus', would anyone have a problem with it?

Harder to single out and aasault English people though, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was the Wuhan virus right up until the chinese communist party started handing out the talking points to journalists and grifters in the West who would do their bidding almost reflexively.

I presume by grifters in the west you mean fox viewers and evangelists selling cure potions and saviour for cash .

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I presume by grifters in the west you mean fox viewers and evangelists selling cure potions and saviour for cash .

Good one

Don has it wrong so, its the Chinese Peoples Communist Party Government virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump reverted to type at the press conference today. That didn't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well we can see why they are trying to pass blame.

Once they started to get proper testing in place cases have sky rocketed. 4.5k today alone up from just under 1k a few days ago. Horrible but shows how many they weren't catching. I get no country will catch all of them but the increase shows they were missing them before.

Still at least they are getting back on track now. Hopefully they level off pretty quick but I suspect the country has a lot more testing to do to get back on track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I am biggly sure this is a total coincidence. I would love to have it explained away to me at any time day or night.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1240802700171849731?s=21

https://twitter.com/clayton_sandell/status/1240849365918314496?s=21

Frankly, i don't want to live in a world where i agree with Carlson but...

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1240806440379371521?s=19

This should hold for member of either party btw.

One of Warren's plans was to ban Congress members owning stocks btw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Frankly, i don't want to live in a world where i agree with Carlson but...

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1240806440379371521?s=19

This should hold for member of either party btw.

One of Warren's plans was to ban Congress members owning stocks btw

Good luck with that when even POTUS is not required to give details of his business investments or his tax returns.

But this brings up another point. Did Trump sell off any stock? Recall that Eric sent out a tweet as the market was falling saying it was the perfect time to invest in the stock market, "All In" I think he said.

Good luck with that when even POTUS is not required to give details of his business investments or his tax returns.

Trump has the protection of the Office. Senators are obliged to disclose this financial information. That's why journalists found out.
    But this brings up another point. Did Trump sell off any stock? Recall that Eric sent out a tweet as the market was falling saying it was the perfect time to invest in the stock market, "All In" I think he said.

I believe Eric did, and since deleted it apparently.

It will be interesting to see what comes out if the S C rule on Trump's finances before November. If nothing does happens before then, I'm certain a President Biden, for example, would ensure the truth comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Calling it the Chinese Virus is not racist. When the Chinese stock market is doing well again and the American one is still taking a hit, I think it is pretty reasonable to want to remind people where this whole problem originated. It wasn't in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement