Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Calling it the Chinese Virus is not racist. When the Chinese stock market is doing well again and the American one is still taking a hit, I think it is pretty reasonable to want to remind people where this whole problem originated. It wasn't in the US.

Everyone has been calling it Coronavirus for the last 2 months, why the name change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Calling it the Chinese Virus is not racist. When the Chinese stock market is doing well again and the American one is still taking a hit, I think it is pretty reasonable to want to remind people where this whole problem originated. It wasn't in the US.

Then call the Spanish Flu the Kansas Virus (a bit late I know.)

There's nothing reasonable about calling it the Chinese Virus. Do you think people don't know where it originated from? Without googling, where did Ebola originate, which country in Africa?

It's just a distraction from this Admininstration's failings. The problem isn't where the virus originated from. Reminding people of that doesn't help. Getting test kits and testing done, handling illness (several thousand more cases overnight), that helps. It works for racists though, something to rally around as their orange messiah melts in front of them.

And, if you want a NSFW set of reasons why not using the WHO approved name (Covid-19), read this: https://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2020/03/why-it-matters-that-trump-is-calling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Calling it that might not be but his reasons are, it has a proper name and is more childish deflection from his poor management of this. It’s an attempt to say it’s someone else’s fault. The virus isn’t his fault but the poor handling was and he’s deflecting from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because it's assigning blame to a nation and its residents for a virus which could have originated anywhere and affects everyone indiscriminately, including (and especially) those in the country in which it originated.

It's about Trump pushing blame to another country and its people to cover up for the inadequacies and downright failures of his own administration in dealing with the problem.

It's racist to stoke hatred towards another country and its people for something which wasn't their fault and which they have also suffered from, to the point where racial hatred towards Asian people has increased.

It's nothing more than Trump trying to shift blame for the additional and unnecessary deaths which will arise from his administrations failures to cope with the pandemic. The pandemic would have killed American people regardless. But more will die than would have due to Trump's mishandling of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Do you read posts on here or do you just read your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Penn wrote: »
    Because it's assigning blame to a nation and its residents for a virus which could have originated anywhere and affects everyone indiscriminately, including (and especially) those in the country in which it originated.

It's about Trump pushing blame to another country and its people to cover up for the inadequacies and downright failures of his own administration in dealing with the problem.

It's racist to stoke hatred towards another country and its people for something which wasn't their fault and which they have also suffered from, to the point where racial hatred towards Asian people has increased.

It's nothing more than Trump trying to shift blame for the additional and unnecessary deaths which will arise from his administrations failures to cope with the pandemic. The pandemic would have killed American people regardless. But more will die than would have due to Trump's mishandling of the pandemic.

It couldn't have originated anywhere. Those Chinese wet markets are precisely the conditions that allowed it to jump from a bat, to a pangolin and finally to a human.

It couldn't have originated anywhere. Those Chinese wet markets are precisely the conditions that allowed it to jump from a bat, to a pangolin and finally to a human.

And, this matters how?

I think the changing narrative is what prompted him to change the name. China are actually coming out much better out of this than had it never happened. I think there is no harm in pointing the finger. If it originated from the US, there would be no doubt they would help the rest of the world to destroy it the same way they have at home. China are doing very little to help out across the world with something that originated from their own country. It's like we are giving them a free pass for being so irresponsible. Nothing to do with racism or tolerance.

This article points out the warnings this administration received about unpreparedness for pandemics for the last few years. In addition, it has a few details of the state of the current 'pandemic response function' that's no longer in the WH. My summary: not good. https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

I think the changing narrative is what prompted him to change the name. China are actually coming out much better out of this than had it never happened. I think there is no harm in pointing the finger. If it originated from the US, there would be no doubt they would help the rest of the world to destroy it the same way they have at home. China are doing very little to help out across the world with something that originated from their own country. It's like we are giving them a free pass for being so irresponsible. Nothing to do with racism or tolerance.

You really need to get some facts before spouting your lies. China is the source of all the epidemiology on this virus, sharing it since the beginning worldwide and sending experts to Italy, among other places. Plus donating kits and suits (even to the US, ffs.)

I'm not so sure that under the current administration the US would be capable of helping. And again, calling it the China virus when there's a WHO name for it, is simply racist dogwhistling. FWIW, China's been in the front line of 'pandemic event's for quite awhile, since their population is so huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

China sent thousands of test kits to Italy when their EU neighbours refused to help.

He didn’t change the name of it he just started referring to it as something else to cloud the crap show he made of it from the start.

China sent thousands of test kits to Italy when their EU neighbours refused to help.

Do you think thousands of test kits is a major hit for the Chinese budget ? That's clearly just good PR - I mean people like you are citing it.

China made huge advancements in technology while defeating the virus. They traced all their citizens home and abroad, creating an app for them to register their status and put in security measures were they planning to return home. They utilized random sampling where appropriate to gauge the probabilistic distribution of the virus to the nearest handful of neighborhoods. They implemented lockdowns at a scale never before seen nor respected by so much of a population. But now that they are done, they are happy to take a victory lap and send a few test kits abroad while their economy begins to take off again while the rest of the world is in major trouble.

The Chinese Virus is crippling the entire economy except for China right now. There is nothing factually incorrect about that.

The Chinese Virus There is nothing factually incorrect about that.

Well there is the ridiculous wording your using for a start.

Do you think thousands of test kits is a major hit for the Chinese budget ? That's clearly just good PR - I mean people like you are citing it.

China made huge advancements in technology while defeating the virus. They traced all their citizens home and abroad, creating an app for them to register their status and put in security measures were they planning to return home. They utilized random sampling where appropriate to gauge the probabilistic distribution of the virus to the nearest handful of neighborhoods. They implemented lockdowns at a scale never before seen nor respected by so much of a population. But now that they are done, they are happy to take a victory lap and send a few test kits abroad while their economy begins to take off again while the rest of the world is in major trouble.

The Chinese Virus is crippling the entire economy except for China right now. There is nothing factually incorrect about that.

It's almost as if you're calling it the Chinese Virus, *not* because it's "factually correct", but moreover because you have a problem with China and are releashing in calling it that as some childish way of getting your own back?

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's almost as if you're calling it the Chinese Virus, *not* because it's "factually correct", but moreover because you have a problem with China and are releashing in calling it that as some childish way of getting your own back?

But it’s so edgy

What would you suggest they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ideally the president would focus on saving his own citizens than getting involved in a blame game. If theres a blame game required that conversation can take place when the dust has settled. Trump is more engaged in blame than solutions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Runaways wrote: »
    I am biggly sure this is a total coincidence. I would love to have it explained away to me at any time day or night.

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1240802700171849731?s=21

https://twitter.com/clayton_sandell/status/1240849365918314496?s=21

and , in the case of Kelly Loeffler it's even more interesting - Her husband in the Chairman of the New York Stock exchange, might be interesting to see who else sold/bought shares at the same time she did....

What would you suggest they do?

I think they should be taking an active interest in securing the situation in Italy as quickly as they did themselves. That means being completely transparent about their strategies used and stopping at nothing until they see the same kind if successes they have had. There's about 10 more countries in Europe that are about to be desperately in need of that intel also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So to be clear: you're bemoaning international logistical cooperation during a pandemic crisis? Or indeed the fact that because China are about 2, 3 weeks "ahead" of timelines, they're seeing the daylight first?

That's a pretty bitter, narrow minded attempt to "blame" a country rather than castigate a President trying to politicise and "other" a country.

More people have died in Italy than China, so perhaps it should be called the Italian Virus? Especially as all things being equal the Schengen Area likely enabled the spread out from that country. By your logic we should blame the Italians, in your pursuit of adolescent finger pointing.

you're*

Ah I see the level you are at now.

I think they should be taking an active interest in securing the situation in Italy as quickly as they did themselves. That means being completely transparent about their strategies used and stopping at nothing until they see the same kind if successes they have had. There's about 10 more countries in Europe that are about to be desperately in need of that intel also.

How do you know they are not?

This insistence to call Covid19 "the Chinese Virus" reminds me of people insisting on their right to use the "n" word.

People say you shouldn't use it as it promotes racism. There is no *need* to say it. There are ramifications for it's continued use.

They know that.

Yet anytime you challenge them on it, they say "but black people say it", or "I have a black friend and he doesn't mind me saying it". In other words, they try to justify it.

It's similar, but not as bad, with Covid19.

There are thousands of words in the English language and people like this insist on not doing the right thing, purely as some sort of protest against what they perceive to be a PC culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Reference your "China are doing very little..." claim, maybe you missed the news about its assistance to Italy. In the event that the cure to the virus comes from China, will you be happy to call it the Chinese Cure if Don doesn't do so or just breeze past making that point? Ref the policies and devices adapted by China to beat the virus, aren't those available to Govts in the other countries to follow suit on? It seems to me that they are doing so in part now, just as slowly as done at the start in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1238559279923281920

Also from the ny times:

"Many in Italy, for example, angrily pointed out that China was selling masks, respirators and other medical equipment, not donating them, and claimed that some of the materials were meant for Chinese citizens in the country"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/world/asia/coronavirus-china-aid.amp.html

Also

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1238290798484971520

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

So you first claimed that China was doing nothing to help then, when it was pointed out that they are in fact doing more than any other country to help, you pivot to "ah but it doesn't cost them anything".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump's insistence is little more than his usual tactic of riling up his sycophants to distract their easily lead minds from his cóck-up.

It's happening right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I have to laugh at trump sitting down with pharma execs hoping for help after spending years attacking them for outsourcing of jobs and profits to other countries. These same companies are now going to come to his rescue like wtf. Companies that don't give damn about helping out, all they want to do is increase their share value and and increase profits by ripping of US consumers as we having seeing for years now. No doubt one of these same companies will get 100% funding from the NIH to find a vaccine, then when they have an exclusive patent rights move production overseas to a tax haven Puerto Rico, ireland etc so they can completely rip of the US consumer even more. Then use that profit for share buybacks. The money never needs to come home.its bonkers why the media is not talking about this over the usual china Bullsh*t.

Since trump brought in the tcja pharma companies have shifted another 20% of profits and production out of the US. The trade deficit is something like 160b now in pharma alone with Ireland accounting for around 40b.

Forgetting about the Government subsided Chinese generics.Is this not extremely embarrassing now for the US during one of the greatest health crisis ever? Trump has completely failed on this hopeful biden will fare better.

• Advertisement

I would like Outlaw Pete's opinion on the current situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement