Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

Trump's insistence is little more than his usual tactic of riling up his sycophants to distract their easily lead minds from his cóck-up.

It's happening right here.

You call them sycophants, others might have a less polite term for them especially when you read their post history.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump's insistence is little more than his usual tactic of riling up his sycophants to distract their easily lead minds from his cóck-up.

It's happening right here.

It is such an obvious tactic, it is frustrating that the media continue to fall for it.

Let him call it whatever he likes, sure it was all a nothing burger only a few weeks ago. Remember '15 cases will be down to 5', it will be gone like a miracle.

Sure the virus mutated in China, but US had plenty of time, and resources, to get ahead of this. Trump completely and abjectly failed to do anything to protect the US citizens or industry.

He has been in place over 3 years, and is still blaming Obama, China the EU. This is the POTUS, the greatest nation in the world, the nest people, the biggest economy, the biggest military.

He needs people to focus the blame on the virus itself rather than on his handling of it. Because the virus is nobody, so better to blame that then blame himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Calling it the Chinese Virus is not racist. When the Chinese stock market is doing well again and the American one is still taking a hit, I think it is pretty reasonable to want to remind people where this whole problem originated. It wasn't in the US.

It's just another continuation of his "Mexicans are rapists" rhetoric from the campaign, and no doubt promoted by Stephen Miller. And just another tactic to try to divert the press away from the dreadful response to this crisis.

One day, he was saying that 15 cases would be down to zero. Within 5 days, he was saying that he knew it was a pandemic before anyone else did. Got any explanations for that? These messages are not coming from a journalist either. This guy is President of the United States. Words matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I would like Outlaw Pete's opinion on the current situation

You'll just get some posts about how there was no racist motivation behind calling it the Chinese virus and maybe some outrage about a Vanity Fair article that that over-egged a claim that Trump told the governors that they're on their own.

But mostly the Chinese thing. It's just standard-fair chum for his base.

Computer Science Student - Why do you think Trump has started to call it the Chinese Virus instead of its name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Computer Science Student - Why do you think Trump has started to call it the Chinese Virus instead of its name?

Afraid of getting his covid and his convefe mixed up.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

One day, he was saying that 15 cases would be down to zero. Within 5 days, he was saying that he knew it was a pandemic before anyone else did. Got any explanations for that? These messages are not coming from a journalist either. This guy is President of the United States. Words matter.

Of course he doesn't. He wants to focus on the name. He certainly doesn't want to be discussing the inept response and the inevitable consequences of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

To attempt to control the current narrative that is being pushed. ie. China are now the superheroes and the US, a laughing stock. It at least illustrates that the US are scrambling to fix a problem that they didn't create - one which China should be doing everything they can to help them resolve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

The obscure contortions and shapes people get into to defend their own racism via defending trump and channeling it through his utterances is really something to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

To attempt to control the current narrative that is being pushed. ie. China are now the superheroes and the US, a laughing stock. It at least illustrates that the US are scrambling to fix a problem that they didn't create - one which China should be doing everything they can to help them resolve.

The only one pushing a narrative here is you, don’t think anyone thinks China are superheroes or that the US created it. Trumps propaganda is certainly working on one person.

• Advertisement

To what end? Will people dying because Trump completely failed to plan for adequate testing really care?
    Will those that lose their jobs care about something that started so many thousands of miles away was allowed cause such havoc in the US?
    As usual, Trump is not concerned about any of that, he is only concerned that the blame is shifted away from him.

Did China attempt to cover up the outbreak? Yes
    Did China fail to deal with it from the outset? Yes
    Has Trump failed to protect the US? Yes
    Has Trump attempted to cover up the impact to the US? Yes

Calling it Chinese makes no difference, except to Trump and people like you. He should be more worried about controlling the outbreak, rather than wasting time and energy 'controlling the narrative'.

To what end? Will people dying because Trump completely failed to plan for adequate testing really care?
    Will those that lose their jobs care about something that started so many thousands of miles away was allowed cause such havoc in the US?
    As usual, Trump is not concerned about any of that, he is only concerned that the blame is shifted away from him.

Did China attempt to cover up the outbreak? Yes
    Did China fail to deal with it from the outset? Yes
    Has Trump failed to protect the US? Yes
    Has Trump attempted to cover up the impact to the US? Yes

Calling it Chinese makes no difference, except to Trump and people like you. He should be more worried about controlling the outbreak, rather than wasting time and energy 'controlling the narrative'.

This is pretty accurate. I think you agree that it isn't racist, at least. If calling it the Chinese Virus helps the narrative and thus the stock market even a little, I think it isn't a wasted exercise. It's not like it is taking a huge amount of resources to just label it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

When everyone appears to have a different opinion to yours, maybe take a step back on try to understand why rather than simply complaining.

I think you may have stumbled into a problem there.

No one except for the usual moaners are concerned with the Chinese Virus phrase. People are just worried and trying to work through this crisis.

Some members of the US media focused early on whether Trump had the virus, then whether he had been tested and now focusing on a Chinese Virus phrase.

The utter uselessness of the US media and the disconnect they have to ordinary people is beyond belief.

salmocab wrote: »
    This post has nothing to do with either my post or the one of yours that I quoted, your just throwing stuff around.

The narrative guides the market. There's no point even discussing it if you're not following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

I'm sorry but the virus comes from China.

It's no different from Chinese claiming it came from the US army, but you're all up in a heap because it's Trump and you don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the virus comes from China.

It's no different from Chinese claiming it came from the US army, but you're all up in a heap because it's Trump and you don't like him.

nobody thinks it didn’t come from China people are discussing in the Donald Trump thread why he’s labelling it as such.

salmocab wrote: »
    nobody thinks it didn’t come from China people are discussing in the Donald Trump thread why he’s labelling at such.

He is entitled to label it as such. The Chinese attacked the US army and claimed it was a US Army virus.

Trump calls it a Chinese virus, what is your problem with that?

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    He is entitled to label it as such. The Chinese attacked the US army and claimed it was a US Army virus.

Trump calls it a Chinese virus, what is your problem with that?

It's getting Asian Americans targeted by ignoramuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think you may have stumbled into a problem there.

No one except for the usual moaners are concerned with the Chinese Virus phrase. People are just worried and trying to work through this crisis.

Some members of the US media focused early on whether Trump had the virus, then whether he had been tested and now focusing on a Chinese Virus phrase.

The utter uselessness of the US media and the disconnect they have to ordinary people is beyond belief.

???
    Trump is the one obsessing over the name. Everyone else hurt calls it what it is. The Corona virus.

Trump is the one that has decided to try and rename it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    ???
    Trump is the one obsessing over the name. Everyone else hurt calls it what it is. The Corona virus.

Trump is the one that has decided to try and rename it.

You were making out that the poster is in the minority and therefore he is wrong.

I'm pointing out to you that's it's you who is in the minority.

Only the moaners are concerned with the phrase or whether Trump had been tested or not and all the other trivial rubbish that circulates about Trump.

• Advertisement

How is that happening?

The virus originates in China, whether he calls it that or not isn't going to make a damn difference.

Seriously, it is 100x worse what China are doing in trying to pin the blame on American soldiers and I'm glad Trump has taken a stance and clarified to the nation that it originated in China.

Is there evidence of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Also looking at Italy and how china is "assisting" and seeing how it is concentrated in mostly three areas in the north I would love to see after this the support the Italian people have towards china. Not that it will be ever found that the virus mainly came to Italy through china as it is totally of limits to even question this. The media will be to busy rambling on about trump...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/04/16/the-chinese-workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany/amp

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-21350013

You were making out that the poster is in the minority and therefore he is wrong.

I'm pointing out to you that's it's you who is in the minority.

Only the moaners are concerned with the phrase or whether Trump had been tested or not and all the other trivial rubbish that circulates about Trump.

Do not misquote me. I never mentioned the minority. If you have misrepresent people to make an argument then the argument is flawed. Minority does not mean wrong in either direction.

Why do you think Trump is obsessed with the name? Is he having a massive disconnect with the public by obsessing over the name instead of dealing with the treatment?

Do you think he is moaner for going on about changing the name when the US's response has been quite possibly the worst in the world. Trump is the one that made an issue of this. He could have just said Corona (too many syllables potentially?)

Christy42 wrote: »
    Do not misquote me. I never mentioned the minority. If you have misrepresent people to make an argument then the argument is flawed. Minority does not mean wrong in either direction.

Why do you think Trump is obsessed with the name? Is he having a massive disconnect with the public by obsessing over the name instead of dealing with the treatment?

Do you think he is moaner for going on about changing the name when the US's response has been quite possibly the worst in the world. Trump is the one that made an issue of this. He could have just said Corona (too many syllables potentially?)

You said to the poster to basically shut up because he was saying stuff no one else on here was.

Trump didn't obsess over it. The questioning by some of the media gave this story legs.

Imagine at a time of such a crisis and a journalist uses their one question on this phrasing.

With every Trump drama it shows that the moaners obsess over his personality and not his policies (probably because his policies are essentially the same to other side) .

Edit. Christy getting you mixed up with other poster! But basic point remains but not directed at you.

Is there evidence of this?

Yes and growing. If I present some, will you accept that calling it the Chinese Virus is causing real harm to real people?

Edit. Christy getting you mixed up with other poster! But basic point remains but not directed at you.

Ah fair enough. Was getting really confused. It happens. I take back the point of misrepresenting me.

My point remains. Trump is the one insisting on calling it something different to everyone else. He is the one making a deal of this.

He is doing it to hide his shambolic response by blaming someone else. That is the main point. He is trying to blame someone else for his own failings.

Yes and growing. If I present some, will you accept that calling it the Chinese Virus is causing real harm to real people?

I would deplore any racism.

It will add to the growing list of racisms in the messed up US country.

That said, at the moment, issues relating to the Asians communities must take a back seat while we deal with the crisis. That may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

Chinese people themselves are the most angry about this, those that live in Europe and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The virus originated in China, stop trying to take the blame away from them or try and paint this as anything other than a problem which China brought to this world through denying the existence of the virus for weeks before the eventual outbreak and for allowing wet markets to operate, selling animals in disgusting and indignant ways across their communist state.

And as for Chinese natives having to put up with some prejudice in the US, who gives a damn? Show me a single instance of them losing their lives out of this? We are all putting up with a lot of terrible stuff at the moment, people losing their jobs, relatives dying and so on. Not only this but everyone is very educated on the virus and knows it came from China.

Now you're crying over Trump calling it a Chinese virus because it might hurt the feelings of Chinese people who don't want to be associated with it, despite their nation being at fault for it. Jesus Christ, people are dying out there and you're worried about a few words?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement