Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I would deplore any racism.

It will grow to the growing list of racisms in the messed up US country.

That said, at the moment, issues relating to the Asians communities must take a back seat while we deal with the crisis. That may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

Chinese people themselves are the most angry about this, those that live in Europe and elsewhere.

What benefit does it serve though?

I could understand the trade-off if attacking Asian Americans lead to a decrease in coronavirus fatalities but this seems to be of no benefit other that to distract from Trump's incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

I could understand the trade-off if attacking Asian Americans lead to a decrease in coronavirus fatalities but this seems to be of no benefit other that to distract from Trump's incompetence.

Crying over trump's statement is a fruitless exercise which helps nobody. We must consistently remind people that China is at fault for this virus so they cannot dodge the blame and put pressure on them to give the aid & support which they owe to us all. Trump never encouraged any negative sentiment and it was more of an attack on the Chinese state for accusing US soldiers of creating the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I understand your point. I just don't get the fuss about it.

I do think he should just use the Corona phrase by the way, but I think it's just so trivial at the moment given the scale of this crisis.

It's worth remembering that the US is a federal state. Already we've seen California announcing a shut down. Trump is not responsible for the in and out decisions in America. The stuff that he is responsible for he has taken action.

Some countries has reacted slowly and some acted very fast. Criticism of this is fair, but let's keep things in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would deplore any racism.

It will add to the growing list of racisms in the messed up US country.

That said, at the moment, issues relating to the Asians communities must take a back seat while we deal with the crisis. That may sound harsh, but that's the way it is.

Chinese people themselves are the most angry about this, those that live in Europe and elsewhere.

So you are on board with the President not using this language and actually getting on with the current issue which is fixing the problem and sorting out the nation then......

listermint wrote: »
    So you are on board with the President not using this language and actually getting on with the current issue which is fixing the problem and sorting out the nation then......

How does calling it the Chinese Virus prevent him from fixing the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I would like Outlaw Pete's opinion on the current situation

Some of us are above using the virus (and the fight against it) as a means of scoring political points. I work in a residential care unit where vulnerable adults (unaware of even what the concept of a virus is) are being told that they can not be visited by their own family and so while I'm sure nothing may have changed for you (or those who share your 'Get Trump!' priorities) for some of us it has. A quick glance at this thread though and it's clear that it's business as usual for the regulars.

Although, given some of the things which y'all have unsuccessfully attempted to use as a stick to beat Trump with over the last three years, I shouldn't be all that surprised that the coronavirus would be too, despite the widespread deaths of your fellow man.
    You'll just get some posts about how there was no racist motivation behind calling it the Chinese virus...

Did these marvelous publications also have a "racist motivation" when they said the following?

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1219832341801197568

ccv.jpg

You said to the poster to basically shut up because he was saying stuff no one else on here was.

Trump didn't obsess over it. The questioning by some of the media gave this story legs.

Imagine at a time of such a crisis and a journalist uses their one question on this phrasing.

With every Trump drama it shows that the moaners obsess over his personality and not his policies (probably because his policies are essentially the same to other side) .

He literally deprecated a cdc team that was designed to handle such crises.... That's a policy issue, no? The reason he is shouting "Chinese Virus" is to divert from his atrocious handling of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

It amazes me the levels of intellectual dishonesty Trump supporters have to reach to argue on his behalf.
    You know why he persists in calling it the Chinese virus, everyone knows.
    He wants to make this sound like a foreign problem that had nothing to do with him.
    For the record, I agree that this was caused by the Chinese.

Continuing to call it the Chinese virus at this point is just a Xenophobic tactic, if people are mad at the Chinese, they might be less mad at him and blame him less for his shocking reaction to the crisis. The US, the richest country on the planet, wasted two months they could have spent preparing for this crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why would we talk about the Chinese when we can write thread after thread about Donald Trump, madness to even consider talking about the Chinese, we all know trump and Brexit caused this...

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

First, this is a thread about Donald Trump, current US President. There's more than enough content on Boards parsing the Corona Virus.

Second, the attribution of "blame" or "who started this" contributes nothing, nor achieves anything except inflame geopolitical tensions at best. This tactic is no different than any other attempt to "other" an external entity during Trump's administration. That the Chinese are the source of all current ills. That way when/if the US struggles under the effects of Corona, Trump can pivot the blame to "the Chinese" instead of his own inadequate national response.

The response by the US and UK are however very pertinent, with Trump showing himself arguably unfit to lead the country during an existential crisis (with his actions potentially causing more harm), while the UK's own response has led a lot to be desired (if entirely off topic from this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump didn't obsess over it

Seems like he is obsessing over it.

GettyImages-1207670368.jpg?resize=850%2C478

• Advertisement

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    The virus originated in China, stop trying to take the blame away from them or try and paint this as anything other than a problem which China brought to this world through denying the existence of the virus for weeks before the eventual outbreak and for allowing wet markets to operate, selling animals in disgusting and indignant ways across their communist state.

And as for Chinese natives having to put up with some prejudice in the US, who gives a damn? Show me a single instance of them losing their lives out of this? We are all putting up with a lot of terrible stuff at the moment, people losing their jobs, relatives dying and so on. Not only this but everyone is very educated on the virus and knows it came from China.

Now you're crying over Trump calling it a Chinese virus because it might hurt the feelings of Chinese people who don't want to be associated with it, despite their nation being at fault for it. Jesus Christ, people are dying out there and you're worried about a few words?

You do realise that not many racists can tell the difference between someone from China and someone from Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes historically when everyone around you believes one thing, the correct thing to do is also to believe this one thing. Lol, sure.

That is not what I said at all. I said that when everyone around you has a different opinion it makes sense to at least look at that opinion and why yours is different. Since you can't even read a short post I doubt you will be able for that.
    I think you may have stumbled into a problem there.

No one except for the usual moaners are concerned with the Chinese Virus phrase. People are just worried and trying to work through this crisis.

Some members of the US media focused early on whether Trump had the virus, then whether he had been tested and now focusing on a Chinese Virus phrase.

The utter uselessness of the US media and the disconnect they have to ordinary people is beyond belief.

No one except Trump that is. He is the one complaining about China, trying to rename it Chinese Virus. No one else is.

It is entirely appropriate that the US media asks if POTUS has been tested. The US spends Millions each year in the protection of the POTUS (and his family) and there were clear cases where Trump was in close proximity to people who later tested positive. And he fits right into the most at risk portion of the population. You think it is wrong that a country worries about the health of its leader?

The utter uselessness of the US media Trump and the disconnect they have to ordinary people is beyond belief

The virus originated in China, stop trying to take the blame away from them or try and paint this as anything other than a problem which China brought to this world through denying the existence of the virus for weeks before the eventual outbreak and for allowing wet markets to operate, selling animals in disgusting and indignant ways across their communist state.

And as for Chinese natives having to put up with some prejudice in the US, who gives a damn? Show me a single instance of them losing their lives out of this? We are all putting up with a lot of terrible stuff at the moment, people losing their jobs, relatives dying and so on. Not only this but everyone is very educated on the virus and knows it came from China.

Now you're crying over Trump calling it a Chinese virus because it might hurt the feelings of Chinese people who don't want to be associated with it, despite their nation being at fault for it. Jesus Christ, people are dying out there and you're worried about a few words?

Again, nobody is saying of that. The point is that directing anger at China solves nothing, except that it moves the discussion away from the shambles that has been Trumps handling of the situation. He said it would be gone in a week or two. Down from 15 to 5. Wrong, wrong and wrong. He failed to ensure adequate testing, he failed to align a country wide response. He then blamed individual states for the problem.

You can be certain that when all of this is dealt with then the countries wil be asking real questions of China. Demanding assurances that it is not allowed happen again, that China open up to allow WHO and the likes more access, that they start to implement food safety standards.

But now is not the time. The US, all data points to, is about to be hit with a tidal wave. But Trump is busy complaining about the price of the sun loungers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I think his more vocal supporters here are so up in arms cos they know this means the end of his chances for a second term.

He denied it existed. Then it was a hoax.
    Untold amounts of Americans and specifically among his base, are going to die.

It’s not his fault but he made it far far worse in the US than it otherwise would have been. That’s on him and his lackeys completely.

Did these marvelous publications also have a "racist motivation" when they said the following?

Who knows? Maybe they do, maybe they don't. It doesn't change the fact that this is a distraction from Trump's incompetence at the expense of Asian Americans.

Some of us are above using the virus (and the fight against it) as a means of scoring political points. I work in a residential care unit where vulnerable adults (unaware of even what the concept of a virus is) are being told that they can not be visited by their own family and so while I'm sure nothing may have changed for you (or those who share your 'Get Trump!' priorities) for some of us it has. A quick glance at this thread though and it's clear that it's business as usual for the regulars.

Although, given some of the things which y'all have unsuccessfully attempted to use as a stick to beat Trump with over the last three years, I shouldn't be all that surprised that the coronavirus would be too, despite the widespread deaths of your fellow man.

ccv.jpg

The usual disingenuous nature of your post should have been anticipated given your previous posts.

I happen to have a parent in a nursing home whom I cannot visit, so I take the virus very ****ing seriously. I don't revel in the thoughts of people dying to score points against Trump, a scandalous comment to make which I see you lifted from Donny Jnr.

The simple fact here is that he was told, as were others, that people have been targeted because of the use of the phrase "Chinese virus" and they continue to use it. Now, rather than simply changing one word, it becomes a battlecry to all those who are angry that they have to watch what they ****ing say nowadays.

It is, like I said above, a peculiar hill to die on, rather than use the name the Scientists call is.

There is a clear tactic there.

Anyway, the clear hope that this tiff over the name will shield him from the ramifications of his blatant ineptitude will not materialise. He has lied, and continues to lie, to the public about the virus.

It doesn't. Neither does it help.

But then Trump, throughout this, has not really be interested in dealing with it any further than shifting any blame from himself.

Have a look back at the presser when he was asked about disbanding the pandemic task force. Without missing a beat he denied all responsibility before saying it was 'Tony' that did it.

You think that is the sign of a leader, someone willing to put others first, that is worried about the man in the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If he called it the Chinese communist party virus , I'd have said fair play as its arguably a war crime they have committed against their own people and the world with this, but atm he is putting innocent people on the street at risk.

And I know some of the media have called it that before and are losing their ****, but just because of that hypocrisy doesn't mean Trump gets a pass.

It needlessly creates another. Why create conditions for Asians in the US to get harassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

ccv.jpg

So you can't complain about the response to the virus because it's bad.

But benghazi?

Also are you serious. A die hard Trump fan playing the 'decency' card?

You're 'above this'. Ha ha ha, you lost that a long long time ago.

Trump has totally messed this up. He is actively getting his supporters to blame China for it.

You're all idiots if you fall for that and don't question his actions. A science denier who goes with his gut. Yeah, great person to have in charge in a crisis like this.

If you don't have any problem with his response and time line thus far, shame on you. You should just go ahead and have the full labotomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://abc7news.com/6029269/

A quick Google search shows multiple links showing increase in anti-Asian activities in the US, so yes words have power.

Trumps statement you can argue, is not specifically racist, but the implications are clear to anyone with half a brain. And his supporters appear to be reading the message load & clear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Posts deleted and a few sanctions issued. Please bear the charter in mind when posting.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ccv.jpg

All of those with dates are in January, when it was in China mostly. Now its not . Do you really people are dense enough to accept that comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All of those with dates are in January, when it was in China mostly. Now its not . Do you really people are dense enough to accept that comparison?

Not to mention that all of those headlines say Chinese Coronavirus (or Wuhan Coronavirus), not Chinese Virus. There's a clear separation of location and virus, rather than trying to intrinsically link the virus to a country and its inhabitants.

Regardless Pete, why do you think, as per the photos released yesterday, President Trump specifically crossed out the word Corona and wrote Chinese in his speech? For what reason do you think he would have intentionally chosen not to call the virus by its actual name, and instead intentionally call it Chinese Virus? Seems odd, right? I mean if he was speaking off the cuff and said Chinese Virus, okay, maybe that's a slip of the tongue. But he specifically and intentionally chose not to call it by his name as per the speech written for him, but to call it Chinese Virus.

I believe there's a clear intention in his action. What do you think his intention was?

To be fair, MAGA facebook and MAGA twitter can indeed be very dense.

Penn wrote: »

I believe there's a clear intention in his action. What do you think his intention was?

As always, it's to give the MAGA heads something to use on social media. While Trump has been making a balls of this, there was silence from them. They knew not to get into an argument about the virus being a hoax or that 15 people would get it before it went away. They know how stupid that they'd be made to look so they stayed away from it.

This on the other hand presents them with their favourite talking point which is "that thing Trump did isn't racist". They always come out for those and try to keep the conversation going on those topics but they stay the hell away when Trump's malignant ignorance is on full display.

Anothet utter sh1tshow of a press conference.

Keystone cops stuff.

Yeah, they have been very quite of late, apparently a major mess up in protecting the US from a threat is perfectly ok but call out Trump on his use of language, well that is a line not to be crossed!

I was reading today that South Korea and the US both had their first case on the same day. SK are now up to 274,000 people tested, whilst the US is at 25k!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Q: "What do you say to Americans watching you right now who are scared?"

Trump: "I say that you're a terrible reporter, that's what I say. I think it's a very nasty question and I think it's a very bad signal that you're putting out to the American people."

So presidential.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That is not what I said at all. I said that when everyone around you has a different opinion it makes sense to at least look at that opinion and why yours is different. Since you can't even read a short post I doubt you will be able for that.

No one except Trump that is. He is the one complaining about China, trying to rename it Chinese Virus. No one else is.

It is entirely appropriate that the US media asks if POTUS has been tested. The US spends Millions each year in the protection of the POTUS (and his family) and there were clear cases where Trump was in close proximity to people who later tested positive. And he fits right into the most at risk portion of the population. You think it is wrong that a country worries about the health of its leader?

The utter uselessness of the US media Trump and the disconnect they have to ordinary people is beyond belief

Again, nobody is saying of that. The point is that directing anger at China solves nothing, except that it moves the discussion away from the shambles that has been Trumps handling of the situation. He said it would be gone in a week or two. Down from 15 to 5. Wrong, wrong and wrong. He failed to ensure adequate testing, he failed to align a country wide response. He then blamed individual states for the problem.

You can be certain that when all of this is dealt with then the countries wil be asking real questions of China. Demanding assurances that it is not allowed happen again, that China open up to allow WHO and the likes more access, that they start to implement food safety standards.

But now is not the time. The US, all data points to, is about to be hit with a tidal wave. But Trump is busy complaining about the price of the sun loungers!

Nobody is directing anger towards China.

Neither is Donald Trump.

• Advertisement

It needlessly creates another. Why create conditions for Asians in the US to get harassed?

To put pressure on China to take responsibility for their actions instead of trying to accuse US troops of spreading the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement