Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

JoeFritzl wrote: »
    To put pressure on China to take responsibility for their actions instead of trying to accuse US troops of spreading the virus.

Beating up American Asians to own China. I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody is directing anger towards China.

Neither is Donald Trump.

So what is the reason for him trying to rename the virus. I mean factually he is wrong. Just like I don't call him Daisy, the name of Coronavirus.

With all the information out there, which maybe people are having trouble keeping up with, what possible advantage is there to him muddying the waters further by creating another name?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He's actually nuts. He's going off on peter Alexander of NBC for asking what trump would say to Americans that are scared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

To put pressure on China to take responsibility for their actions instead of trying to accuse US troops of spreading the virus.

That's worse than stupid reasoning. It's not even reasoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Yes, because taking responsibility is something that the Chinese leadership do so well.

They have internment camps and don't even give a sh1t about that.

Everyone knows this. The party will do what they want.

Trump knows this.

He's clearly just saying this as it will shift the responsibility for what's about to come away from him and towards some foreigners.

This will obviously only work for some people though.

Others will maybe analyse the situation themselves and come to their own conclusions.

The virus isn't Trumps fault. But the relative situation countries find themselves will be largely down to their leadership.

Runaways wrote: »

It's OK. Trump says it will be fine. They'll have a cure tomorrow and a big medical ship. As we speak, he's putting pressure on the chinese to apologise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

It's OK. Trump says it will be fine. They'll have a cure tomorrow and a big medical ship. As we speak, he's putting pressure on the chinese to apologise.

I even read it wrong.

It says 10 million

Runaways wrote: »
    I even read it wrong.

It says 10 million

How will they know, they have no capacity to test that level atm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How will they know, they have no capacity to test that level atm

Is there even the political will or conversation to do so? Trump causes such lopsided signal to noise ratio it's hard to parse the reality from the guff. He's busy picking fights during daily briefings rather than leading from the front. Did he even manage to vacillate anywhere near a point about why the journalist deserved being taken to task?

Maybe this is the pressure showing. We know he's combative with the press at the best of times, but lately he seems on an even thinner hair trigger. The reveal that his precious Mar-a-Largo was a potential hotbed for infection might have rattled him. Or the realisation that being President means actually leading during times of existential crisis, rather than just telling underlings to Build That Wall, and other empty gestures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭JoeFritzl

everlast75 wrote: »
    Beating up American Asians to own China. I've heard it all now.

Who said anything about beating up american asians? Show proof that this happened please.

Also nobody is encouraging it. Bad things happen, people die because of this virus. People are very worried about it and if certain people think irrationally because of this worry it's not Donald Trump's fault. Blame the tabloids for pushing this in your face all day, that's bound to cause a lot of people to become angry at Asians. Why don't you go after the media instead of Trump for a single comment that you are so caught up on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who said anything about beating up american asians? Show proof that this happened please.

Also nobody is encouraging it. Bad things happen, people die because of this virus. People are very worried about it and if certain people think irrationally because of this worry it's not Donald Trump's fault. Blame the tabloids for pushing this in your face all day, that's bound to cause a lot of people to become angry at Asians. Why don't you go after the media instead of Trump for a single comment that you are so caught up on.

This is the Twitter President, he sets the narrative by being someone who structured his presidency on tweets and sloganeering. You can't suddenly decide to ignore the latest attempt - The Chinese Virus - or castigate the media for focusing on what has been standard behaviour.

The President of America sets the mood, as well as a large portion of the national (legislative) agenda. Stirring the pot, showing an inability to lead during crisis while playing petty political pointscoring or picking fights with journalists, is a destabilising move. Antagonising potential allies in fighting a pandemic is idiotic.

There's been a rise in attacks against Asians and the president is now feeding into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/20/trump-message-to-americans-coronavirus-presser-vpx.cnn

Are there any words to describe this response of a head of state to a reporter asking a legitimate question? A question which could have given him an opening to give a useful, empathic message to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

A good point I saw online earlier.

Because Trump can't hold his rallies, he has these conferences instead. It is not about getting information out to the public, it's for him to take pot shots at the press and the "Deep State", to blame China, to blame the Democrats and he can do that at the pressers.

The only difference is that other than the OAN "reporter" and Sean ****ing Spicer who I read was there today, the press are doing their job and holding his feet to the fire for the utter incompetence displayed heretofore. He isn't used to that at his rallies. It explains why he is so nasty to the reporters.

Thank **** for them by the way. If it wasn't for them fact checking Trump, the Country would be in an even worse situation, hard as that is to imagine.

looksee wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/20/trump-message-to-americans-coronavirus-presser-vpx.cnn

Are there any words to describe this response of a head of state to a reporter asking a legitimate question? A question which could have given him an opening to give a useful, empathic message to the nation.

That was one of the easiest softballs that a reporter could send at a President. Pence was asked the same question later and he, odious as he is while lacking in Trump's brain worms, managed to give a decent answer.

As I said in my post about him attacking NBC. The question was the perfect opportunity to speak to what is clearly a very confused and worried nation, but sure that would be the right thing to do. As bad as bush 43 and Nixon were they were able to at time rise to the occasion and whether they believed what they were saying they said it and tried to reduce the panic.

That was one of the easiest softballs that a reporter could send at a President. Pence was asked the same question later and he, odious as he is while lacking in Trump's brain worms, managed to give a decent answer.

A couple of weeks ago pence gave interviews on the Sunday shows and as you says he's not any better than trump and possibly worse but he is able to try and sound like a leader.

"Let's see what happens. I've been right a lot" he says at the end of his dressing down. There you are. That kinda tells a lot: because despite the easily verifiable evidence about how much spoofing and contradiction Trump has come out with, tomorrow there will be a new Truth from his lips. Internal "Eurasia" delusion. Millions could be dead in the streets and yet with a straight face he'd tell the Press Corp. that he predicted this.

If American comes out of Corona in a relatively good place, it'll be despite Trump, not because of him. His refusal be a Leader is a dereliction of duty. How the hell does a political leader get a question like "What do you say to those scared?" and decide to attack the messenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Q: "What do you say to Americans watching you right now who are scared?"

Trump: "I say that you're a terrible reporter, that's what I say. I think it's a very nasty question and I think it's a very bad signal that you're putting out to the American people."

So presidential.

Sorry, is this actually real? If so, even for Trump it's a new low.

Edit: just saw the above. How can anyone defend his management of this?

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As I said in my post about him attacking NBC. The question was the perfect opportunity to speak to what is clearly a very confused and worried nation, but sure that would be the right thing to do. As bad as bush 43 and Nixon were they were able to at time rise to the occasion and whether they believed what they were saying they said it and tried to reduce the panic.

Is he totally rattled. The pressure is really getting to him. Sending out the wrong signal?

A panicking POTUS is never a good look. A leader needs to take the temporary discomfort of a press question and make it clear that it is of nothing compared to what the ordinary Joe is going through.

Instead, he goes off on a tantrum about how hard everything is for him and nobody is being fair.

As already said, he was a total softball question. Look into camera, tell people you understand they are scared then riff about MAGA and how great his team are and we will be back stronger than ever blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Not only are people defending it (in this thread and elsewhere) they're actually spinning this as Trump doing a great job. The mind really does boggle. Trump has zero idea of what it means to be POTUS. A national embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The King is always right...in their eyes.
    He's shockingly incompetent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

vetinari wrote: »
    It amazes me the levels of intellectual dishonesty Trump supporters have to reach to argue on his behalf.
    You know why he persists in calling it the Chinese virus, everyone knows.
    He wants to make this sound like a foreign problem that had nothing to do with him.
    For the record, I agree that this was caused by the Chinese.

Continuing to call it the Chinese virus at this point is just a Xenophobic tactic, if people are mad at the Chinese, they might be less mad at him and blame him less for his shocking reaction to the crisis. The US, the richest country on the planet, wasted two months they could have spent preparing for this crisis.

Sure, what else is new? It doesn’t amaze me at all.

Personally, I’ve no problem with Chinese food practices being questioned when this has all died down. I think it will need to happen. But Trump focusing on that right now truly exposes his deep lack of character. Where it started is simply not important at this point in time and anyone with a brain in their head or a smidgen of compassion knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Instead, he goes off on a tantrum about how hard everything is for him and nobody is being fair.
    Because he suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5, 2013) indicates that a person with NPD possesses at least five of the following nine criteria, typically without possessing the commensurate personal qualities or accomplishments for which they demand respect and status:
    • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
    • Continually demeaning, bullying and belittling others
    • Exploiting others to achieve personal gain
    • Lack of empathy for the negative impact they have on the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
    • Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
    • Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
    • Need for continual admiration from others
    • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
    • Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

This is a country where certain people refused to buy Corona beer after hearing "Corona Virus". These people might be gullible but its no stretch to imagine factions hearing the "Chinese virus" and being dangerous idiots about it with anyone Asian looking. Idiots Boycotting beer is much more preferable than those same idiots getting rabble roused into potential reprisals by Trump playing the blame game for deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Anyone who hasn't already and only read Trump's response in text, watch the video. F*cking hell...

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1241041962871881728?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Penn wrote: »
    Anyone who hasn't already and only read Trump's response in text, watch the video. F*cking hell...

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1241041962871881728?s=20

As I said, a national embarrassment. I've no idea how the reporter stopped himself from challenging Trump. It's about time someone did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Q: "What do you say to Americans watching you right now who are scared?"

Trump: "I say that you're a terrible reporter, that's what I say. I think it's a very nasty question and I think it's a very bad signal that you're putting out to the American people."

So presidential.

That is shocking. No compassion or leadership at all. Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    As I said, a national embarrassment. I've no idea how the reporter stopped himself from challenging Trump. It's about time someone did.

In fairness, if he'd challenged Trump at that point, Trump wins and "proves" the reporter is nasty, even though he wasn't.

Let Trump show himself for who he really is. A perfectly fair question, hell as someone else already said a clear opening for Trump to try and reassure the American people. Instead, Trump's gotta Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement