Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft.ie and MyHome.ie listing wrong address

Options
  • 07-01-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Both websites inaccurately list multiple properties in the total wrong location. Sifting through ****e constantly.
    It’s frustrating beyond belief.
    Anyone find this ? I’m looking in a certain area for a certain price range and what I get is. 90 properties with 15 of those being in the actual area I specified on the filter. It’s clear as day the addresses stated in most ads are miles away from the area they specify.

In some cases more than 3 km away from an area. How in this day and age can daft not run a cross check with google maps. Or better yet why don’t ads have an approval process before being published. Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It’s the agent or seller who is listing the property not the portal. They don’t check addresses. They have algorithms to check that no illegal information such as discriminatory information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

It’s the agent or seller who is listing the property not the portal. They don’t check addresses. They have algorithms to check that no illegal information such as discriminatory information.

That’s desperate, I still put the blame on daft/MyHome as they are the ones advertising the property. They should be verifying the information is correct. It’s terrible from an end user perspective. It can’t be that hard to have google maps integrated and checking locations are matching positively when publishing an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's also an issue of postal addresses not reflecting actual location. Blackrock now covers a sizeable amount of South County Dublin and villages near my home town have a postal address of the nearest large town which is 20 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I totally agree. But they particularly daft have an monopoly on the property market. They’re not going to do something they don’t have to. They are cleaning up in their advert charges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Google maps are not always correct either so I wouldn’t be trusting that at all.
    it’s all based on what the seller puts in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have some Daft alerts for various areas/price brackets I was looking at moving to (and now aren't, so I should remove them) and today I got a wonderfully mangled address of "Castaheany, Mount Merrion"

Neither area is in my saved search extent and neither could be confused for each other so I have no idea how that happened.

I suspect some of the listing tools could be improved to make it harder to put in inaccurate addresses; for real or spurious reasons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

L1011 wrote: »
    I have some Daft alerts for various areas/price brackets I was looking at moving to (and now aren't, so I should remove them) and today I got a wonderfully mangled address of "Castaheany, Mount Merrion"

Neither area is in my saved search extent and neither could be confused for each other so I have no idea how that happened.

I suspect some of the listing tools could be improved to make it harder to put in inaccurate addresses; for real or spurious reasons.

"Castaheany, Mount Merrion" is a lovely spot, but personally I prefer "Swords, Stillorgan"

kceire wrote: »
    Google maps are not always correct either so I wouldn’t be trusting that at all.
    it’s all based on what the seller puts in.

The data on google maps is 100 times better than some of the ads I’ve seen on daft.

Now I’m heading to Coolock in Wicklow for some cans using me google map sat nav

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Both sites need significant improvements to their user experience - Myhome has a much more powerful set of filters, but it could still be better.

I'd love the option to hide/dismiss properties that aren't of interest to me - I keep getting the same premium property / regular properties at the top of results that is totally irrelevant to my search

There's also a few estate agents who play fast and loose with addresses - Straffan in Kildare is a popular address, so this tiny village ends up covering a massive area of nearby towns - there's houses that are ~10km away from it being marked as "Straffan"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How do you define the "correct" area for an address though?

I'm not familiar with "Swords, Stillorgan" - but suspect that it's similar to "Fort Lorenzo, Knocknacarra". Even B&Q describe their store as being in Knocknacarra intsead of Rahoon or Westside.

• Advertisement

How do you define the "correct" area for an address though?

I'm not familiar with "Swords, Stillorgan" - but suspect that it's similar to "Fort Lorenzo, Knocknacarra". Even B&Q describe their store as being in Knocknacarra intsead of Rahoon or Westside.

Swords Stillorgan was a joke they are on opposite sides of the city.
    As was Coolock in Wicklow.

It’s very easy to see a locality from google maps. It has the general area in big letters when you zoom out slightly.
    According to daft 90% of finglas is actually in glasnevin
    The amount of properties addressed Glasnevin and are actually finglas is ridiculous.

Same with looking at properties in Raheny
    Turns out most are actually Edenmore.

Same goes for blanchardstown every house is in clonsilla apparently yet here’s the different districts below.

Huntstown
    Hartstown
    Clonsilla
    Ongar
    Rusheeney village
    Tyrrelstown
    Mulhuddart
    Corduff
    Coolmine
    Fortlawn

So when you want to see houses in clonsilla only, you get everything because the estate agents are messing with the ads and want everyone to think they are beside clonsilla because of the train station . When In fact they are nowhere near a train station and they are looking for hits on their ads at the users expense. It’s nearly worth avoiding EA’s who do this because they are clearly lying from the get go but the problem is most do it. It should be illegal imo. False advertising comes to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hartstown would be considered part of Clonsilla though and Hunstown part of Mulhuddart (and a bit of it part of Clonsilla). I've always considered Clonsilla and Mulhuddart to be wider areas with these various places in them.

Now, Roselawn can rightly eff off thinking it's in Castleknock though as it is now listed (residents got it changed) as it's very much in Coolmine/Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Weepsie wrote: »
    Hartstown would be considered part of Clonsilla though and Hunstown part of Mulhuddart (and a bit of it part of Clonsilla). I've always considered Clonsilla and Mulhuddart to be wider areas with these various places in them.

Now, Roselawn can rightly eff off thinking it's in Castleknock though as it is now listed (residents got it changed) as it's very much in Coolmine/Blanchardstown.

Again it's the point I made about postal addresses. Roselawn is most definitely in castleknock according to An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It’s very easy to see a locality from google maps. It has the general area in big letters when you zoom out slightly.

But who says Google is right?

According to Google, neither Westside (1) nor Taylors Hill (2) exists. But they'd be better known than some of the other locality names that are given, eg Fort Lorenzo is an estate, not a locality.

I'm sure Dublin has similar things on Google Maps.

499475.PNG

Weepsie wrote: »

Clearly Hartstown is separated from clonsilla by the Ongar Distributor road.
    To think otherwise is dreaming imo.
    Because Blanchardstown has become such a densely populated area in recent times with so many housing estates you need to be clear on where you actually live especially if selling a house to someone who’s making arguably the most important decision in their lives.
    Anyone on the Northside of the ongar road claiming clonsilla is clearly wrong, it’s like being over the border and claiming your still in the republic.
    People need to get realistic.
    Look at numerous maps.
    Roselawn is 100% Coolmine at least we can agree on that 😂

I do agree some locations are a bit tricky but what estate agents are doing is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm sure Dublin has similar things on Google Maps.

Google has made people use old Dublin electoral ward names as actual area names, e.g. "North Dock" or "Inns Quay" - both confusing as there's an office block called North Dock and an actual quay called Inns Quay.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I do agree some locations are a bit tricky but what estate agents are doing is ridiculous.

Yes, there are definitely some ambiguous places especially along the border of different areas.

But what we're talking about is when it's blatantly wrong. According to EAs, half of south Dublin is Rathfarnham for example.

Advertisement