Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer contributions when transferring pension

• 07-01-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I'm a member of a defined contribution scheme with my employer of about 6 months. I know that if I leave this scheme with less than 2 years of being a member, I will lose all employer contributions.

However my understanding is that if I transfer my previous pension with about 3 years worth of contributions into my new one, this counts as part of the qualifying period and I will be able to retain my current employers contributions regardless of when I leave.

Is this correct? Is so, is there a limit to how often this can be done? Assuming I keep transferring previous pensions into the newest one, does this mean I will always be able to hang on to employer contributions regardless of how long I stay at any given employer?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No it doesn't.

Scheme service is what counts here, and if yours is less than 2 years you may lose the value of the employer contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

This document from Irish Life seems to confirm what I said though, unless "preserved benefits" are something else.

Page 5: If member had more than 2 years service with the old employer then he immediately qualifies for preserved benefits in respect of the new employer’s scheme and no refund option is available

Also here: https://www.bluewaterfp.ie/pensions-2/when-are-you-entitled-to-your-employers-pension-contributions/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I know I retained my employer contributions when I was made redundant from a previous job, because I had transferred my previous pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

No it doesn't.

Scheme service is what counts here, and if yours is less than 2 years you may lose the value of the employer contributions.

Don't think that is correct.

Not an expert myself, but a quick bit of token research would suggest the OP is correct in their understanding...

https://www.bluewaterfp.ie/pensions-2/when-are-you-entitled-to-your-employers-pension-contributions/

Whole article is relevant, but second last section is key to the topic.

Also...

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/help-i-ve-changed-jobs-what-will-i-do-with-my-pension-1.3995119 (see DC Scheme, option 2 paragraphs 5 & 6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

maki wrote: »
    I'm a member of a defined contribution scheme with my employer of about 6 months. I know that if I leave this scheme with less than 2 years of being a member, I will lose all employer contributions.

However my understanding is that if I transfer my previous pension with about 3 years worth of contributions into my new one, this counts as part of the qualifying period and I will be able to retain my current employers contributions regardless of when I leave.

Is this correct? Is so, is there a limit to how often this can be done? Assuming I keep transferring previous pensions into the newest one, does this mean I will always be able to hang on to employer contributions regardless of how long I stay at any given employer?

You are correct, transferred in service counts towards keeping the employer contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

maki wrote: »

It will depend on the rules of the current scheme. In general, yes, your understanding is correct. However it’s not unusual for there to be scheme specific rules around this. It will also depend on the type of plan you are transferring in to your current pension. For example, PRSAs don’t carry service when transferring and so if you transfer a PRSA to your current plan it won’t count towards the two year vesting period. Your best bet is to contact the administrators of the current pension and they’ll be able to tell you on the spot.

Advertisement