Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vet kildare

• 07-01-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Quick rundown of problem.I have a ram and 2 ewes that i keep on the family land with a few ponies and donkeys.Ram is less than a year old and for the last month ive been treating him for foot rot with everything ive been advised bluestone,penicillin injections and im now using a herbal footbath thats from a maker in county down cant think of name.Ive also had a neighbour who used to keep sheep remove the hoof,but nothing has worked.
    Neighbour has a vet he used to use but he is also semi retired and his advice like my neighbour was to cull him.As id like to give him a chance can anyone reccomend a good vet in kildare who doesn't cost an arm and a leg to come out and have a look at him.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Asus1 wrote: »
    Neighbour has a vet he used to use but he is also semi retired and his advice like my neighbour was to cull him.

Not what you want to hear, but your getting good advice from your neighbour and culling is the most effective way of curing the footrot. Even if you fix him up, the problem will be back again in a few months. Sorry !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Not what you want to hear, but your getting good advice from your neighbour and culling is the most effective way of curing the footrot. Even if you fix him up, the problem will be back again in a few months. Sorry !!!

Yeah not what i wanted to hear but i kinda knew that is what i would hear.I rang an equine vet last week that sorted me out a few times when my mare foaled and she needed to be washed out and he was of the same opinion to cull or he would come out and inject between the toes with something ( cant remember name) but he couldn't say for definite it would work and it would cost between €80-110.Equine vets are expensive even in kildare where there is loads.

If he were mine , kildare chilling are paying good money atm. Add that to the €80 yoid spend on a vet and youd go along way towards buying another shiny new ram lamb in the autumn, that mightnt have the same issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

If he were mine , kildare chilling are paying good money atm. Add that to the €80 yoid spend on a vet and youd go along way towards buying another shiny new ram lamb in the autumn, that mightnt have the same issues.

Good advice here. Chronic footrot problems almost never respond to treatment. Best course of action is factory as recommended above. Then get a vet out to set up a lameness prevention and treatment protocol for your flock. It will be money well spent. Might be worth looking around to find a vet interested in sheep is the only thing as I wouldn't say there are many left around Kildare? Could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Barrack Gate will come out that way

• Advertisement

Just quick update,decided to give him a chance and the vet came out and gave him the injection, with me to give him a further two and to use formaldehyde as a foot bath. Well to say hes a different ram is an understatement hes absolutely flying it.Cost was €100 but its great to see him walking around without holding up his rear leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just quick update,decided to give him a chance and the vet came out and gave him the injection, with me to give him a further two and to use formaldehyde as a foot bath. Well to say hes a different ram is an understatement hes absolutely flying it.Cost was €100 but its great to see him walking around without holding up his rear leg.

Bath him regularly from now on and you will have no more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭thefareast

I wouldn't use formaldehyde/formalin for footbaths, zinc sulphate is much easier on the sheep and yourself, the sheep just have to stand in it longer.

thefareast wrote: »
    I wouldn't use formaldehyde/formalin for footbaths, zinc sulphate is much easier on the sheep and yourself, the sheep just have to stand in it longer.

You said exactly what the vet said.He said bath his foot twice 5 days apart using formaldehyde and when hes clear just go back to using the zinc on the 3 of them.He thought that as he was in such a bad way the formaldehyde would be his best bet and he was bang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

3cc of draxin antibiotic if that doesn't fix him into the chilling when the withdrawal is up

• Advertisement

3cc of draxin antibiotic if that doesn't fix him into the chilling when the withdrawal is up

Well hes great now not a bother on him i just regret messing around so long and not getting the vet earlier when i realised the other remedies weren't working.Only thing wrong with him now is he always wants a mess fight with me where he runs head down and just stops around 4 or 5 feet away then wants a scratch on his back end.

Had a ram lamb before, that was raised as a pet. All was good until he got to about a year old. He walked into my mothers garden and started grazing. She tried to move him and he didn't like it, so went for her. Next morning he went to factory. Believe it's important for them to have a healthy fear of us. Just something to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Second Barrack Gate

Had a ram lamb before, that was raised as a pet. All was good until he got to about a year old. He walked into my mothers garden and started grazing. She tried to move him and he didn't like it, so went for her. Next morning he went to factory. Believe it's important for them to have a healthy fear of us. Just something to consider.

Yeah you are correct.Hes a purebred charollais ram so hes getting fairly big and hes not fully grown.Any options on getting him to have a bit of fear of me,not interested in hitting him with a stick or such.Thanks.

Yeah you are correct.Hes a purebred charollais ram so hes getting fairly big and hes not fully grown.Any options on getting him to have a bit of fear of me,not interested in hitting him with a stick or such.Thanks.

Just keep in mind that his there for a purpose and not a pet. Dont turn your back on him and never trust them. Their different to ewes. Just dont take any rubbish from him.once he gets away with it once, he will do it again and again. I had a charolais that rammed me in the back years ago, when I was bringing meal to him. I didn't turn my back on him after that. But look, I think you'll be fine as long as you remember that. Still run charolais rams today. Wouldn't keep anything off him though. Their know for their meat fattening abilities, not their mothering ability.

Just keep in mind that his there for a purpose and not a pet. Dont turn your back on him and never trust them. Their different to ewes. Just dont take any rubbish from him.once he gets away with it once, he will do it again and again. I had a charolais that rammed me in the back years ago, when I was bringing meal to him. I didn't turn my back on him after that. But look, I think you'll be fine as long as you remember that. Still run charolais rams today. Wouldn't keep anything off him though. Their know for their meat fattening abilities, not their mothering ability.
    Thats the plan for his offspring.As the whole family love lamb we will be keeping the lambs for meat.Local butcher will come and bring them off and hang and butcher them for €50.

Advertisement