Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring doorbell pro and existing transformer

Options
  • 07-01-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I just moved into a new house and I'm getting into the DIY stuffs :p.

I want to install a Ring doorbell pro, however I'm not sure whether or not I can use the existing transformer.

It seems a bit confusing to me when I look at them.

This is what I could understand:
    1. Current transformer releases 8, 12 and 24V at 8 ampares

2. Ring doorbell needs a transformer that releases the same volts but at 15 ampares.

My doubts are:

Do you guys think it would work if I just change the current doorbell with the ring doorbell?
    It seems easy to change the transformer, however I'm not sure if I am allowed to do it myself? I mean, by law! Also if it would impact my home insurance? As I can possibly set the house on fire.

Thanks alot!

Below the transformers pics:

20200107-162655.jpg
    20200107-162723.jpg
    20200107-162751.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi guys,
    I just moved into a new house and I'm getting into the DIY stuffs :p.

I want to install a Ring doorbell pro, however I'm not sure whether or not I can use the existing transformer.

It seems a bit confusing to me when I look at them.

This is what I could understand:
    1. Current transformer releases 8, 12 and 24V at 8 ampares
    Kinda right, your transformer is capable of being wired for 8, 12 or 24V output.

We don't know which output was wired from your transformer, when it was installed. You could check the wires at the push outside with a multimeter to confirm what voltage you have coming out.

The 8VA is the power ratting, so at 8V is can deliver 1A, at 24V can deliver 0.33A (P=VI=8)

2. Ring doorbell needs a transformer that releases the same volts but at 15 ampares.

My doubts are:

Do you guys think it would work if I just change the current doorbell with the ring doorbell?
    It seems easy to change the transformer, however I'm not sure if I am allowed to do it myself? I mean, by law! Also if it would impact my home insurance? As I can possibly set the house on fire.

Thanks alot!

Below the transformers pics:

Most of the time the 12V output is wired on them transformers, so you should have enough power for the ring doorbell. Do you have an internal hardwired door bell chime?

If you don't have an internal bell installed you need to put a small resistance in series with the supply from your bell transformer. Something like a 20 ohm resistor does the job quite well (from memory that is what is in mine).

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205180710-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I wonder would it be easier to use a wireless bell?

Lydl and Aldi often have them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

adrian92 wrote: »
    I wonder would it be easier to use a wireless bell?

Lydl and Aldi often have them

The OP is installing a video doorbell.

If anyone is looking for an easy solution for the ring door bell here's what i did at home. Many sets of Christmas lights have transformers with an AC power output. I found a transformer off an old set of lights with an 18V output,. I then wired a 20 ohm resistor into the cable and ran the wire to the doorbell location. Has been working fine now for > 1 year.

If you can't get hard wired power to the unit, the battery life on these Ring devices is surprisingly good, considering they are wifi and battery-powered. You will probably get 2.5 months off a single charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭albernazj93

Hey guys, thanks for your help.

I ended up calling and certified electrician. He changed the transformer and bypassed my normal chime. 60 euros for a 20 minutes job which I could have done myself for sure.

Kinda weird we are not allowed to make any change on our board ourselves, however, the electrician did not give me any document proving he was the one who changed my transformer. That means if I had changed it myself nobody would ever know.

• Advertisement

Yea ok, so he shouldn't of bypassed the chime as now your short circuiting the bell trafo when the ring is pressed.

Are you using the trafo specifically supplied by Ring? does it have an internal 20 ohm resistor, or is it just a re-branded bell transformer?

If your getting rid of the chime you should fit a 20 ohm power resistor as recomended by Ring above. Ya might get away with it as it's only shorting the traffo for a brief period when the button is pressed.

Yea ok, so he shouldn't of bypassed the chime as now your short circuiting the bell trafo when the ring is pressed.

Are you using the trafo specifically supplied by Ring? does it have an internal 20 ohm resistor, or is it just a re-branded bell transformer?

If your getting rid of the chime you should fit a 20 ohm power resistor as recomended by Ring above. Ya might get away with it as it's only shorting the traffo for a brief period when the button is pressed.

He changed the current transformer with the Ring one. In the Chime box he just put a few cables together and put some tape on them, instead of using the little box that comes with the Ring doorbell

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/I1UAAOSwm-1cp1Mb/s-l225.jpg

The guy did everything in a rush, took his money and went away. I have found only very good handyman, carpenter and eletrician since I got this house (ironic)

At the moment the Ring doorbell is not working properly. The senso detects movement, however the recording is black, also I cant connect to see the live view. I will try to reset it tonight.

If anyone is looking for an easy solution for the ring door bell here's what i did at home. Many sets of Christmas lights have transformers with an AC power output. I found a transformer off an old set of lights with an 18V output,. I then wired a 20 ohm resistor into the cable and ran the wire to the doorbell location. Has been working fine now for > 1 year.

If you can't get hard wired power to the unit, the battery life on these Ring devices is surprisingly good, considering they are wifi and battery-powered. You will probably get 2.5 months off a single charge.

If any non electrically-minded folk are looking here, I bought one of these and rigged it up the inside of the door frame. Works like a charm.

The Ring Doorbell is not working properly anymore and I believe its due to the electrician did not use the Pro Power Kit. I sent him a message and I'm waiting to see what he says.

I hope its only software issue and reseting the doorbell it will work fine again.

If anyone has heard of this electrician, I suggest to just avoid him.
    Got his number on the https://safeelectric.ie/find-an-electrician/

Whole chat in the pictures.
    We agreed camera and doorbell for 90 euros. He did only the doorbell and a bad job, the doorbell does not work properly and says the battery is low (and it's a wired doorbell), he did not do the camera and took my old transformer and doorbell.

I can't believe there are people like this out there

• Advertisement

Here is the job he's done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Sparko

If any non electrically-minded folk are looking here, I bought one of these and rigged it up the inside of the door frame. Works like a charm.

I went for the official version - more expensive but some of the amazon reviews put me off so I decided to use their own one. All working like a charm.

https://en-uk.ring.com/products/plug-in-adapter-for-ring-video-doorbell-pro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

OP, I use the Pro with the same Garo transformer and it’s fine (using the proper bypass in the existing chime though).

In the Ring app, click settings for the camera and check Device Health. Make sure voltage is ok. Run the WiFi tests. Sometimes I get the black video too on a different Ring product but it’s rare.

If you’re still having issues, try Ring support. They’re actually surprisingly helpful.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

albernazj93, I've removed some of your attachments as it involves messages between you and a named individual, which could get the site in trouble due to libel etc. Not only that however, but you also have your address within the messages, so doubt you want us all knowing where you live.

ethernet wrote: »
    OP, I use the Pro with the same Garo transformer and it’s fine (using the proper bypass in the existing chime though).

In the Ring app, click settings for the camera and check Device Health. Make sure voltage is ok. Run the WiFi tests. Sometimes I get the black video too on a different Ring product but it’s rare.

If you’re still having issues, try Ring support. They’re actually surprisingly helpful.

I tried them earlier. They sent me a troubleshooting but no success. One of the step was to reset the doorbell, I did it and I saw a message saying my doorbell had low battery. The electrician took my old transformer so at the moment I only have the original Ring one in place. The cables he done is a mess so I dont know if the problem is there

delly wrote: »
    albernazj93, I've removed some of your attachments as it involves messages between you and a named individual, which could get the site in trouble due to libel etc. Not only that however, but you also have your address within the messages, so doubt you want us all knowing where you live.

Hey, is there any place in the forum I can review his services so people would avoid him?
    Good catch on the address, I had not thought about it, thanks for that!

He has a website too. Is there any problem if I show his website instead of his name?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Although frustrating, the whole problem with naming and shaming is that the person being shamed has no right of reply, so even if they did the most god awful job, without being able to explain it, they are being unfairly defamed. In saying that, fair comment is allowed, so it really depends on what you say and how you say. Clear as mud tbh.

delly wrote: »
    Although frustrating, the whole problem with naming and shaming is that the person being shamed has no right of reply, so even if they did the most god awful job, without being able to explain it, they are being unfairly defamed. In saying that, fair comment is allowed, so it really depends on what you say and how you say. Clear as mud tbh.

Make sense. I'll review his job on Google so he can answer to it.

The biggest problem is that he has messed up the Chime box and now I have no idea which cable should be connected to the Pro Power Kit

The pro power kit is just a resistor so you can just break either wire and connect it in.

As per my earlier email, your ring has shorted the trafo and potentially damaged the secondary winding (or fuse if it has one)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As per my earlier email, your ring has shorted the trafo and potentially damaged the secondary winding (or fuse if it has one)

It's only a short when the doorbell is pressed, even then the transformer is only 8VA so it is unlikely that current will increase to the point that damage would occur. However as you say it would be best to install the resistor.

How could I test them?

Should I try fixing the wires in the chime box and add the pro power ?

2011 wrote: »
    It's only a short when the doorbell is pressed, even then the transformer is only 8VA so it is unlikely that current will increase to the point that damage would occur. However as you say it would be best to install the resistor.

Yes i would agree it is unlike to burn out the winding, i'd be very suprised if ring don't also have a very small power resistor in their board to limit currents in this senario. Then again ring do recomend the 20 ohm resistor in their app note and appear to sell one to be installed.

I was trying to figure out why it appears to have "stopped working". Althought we would probably need to know exactly what "working" means, as it could be wifi or many other issues.

Question for the OP, is the LED circle illuminated on the front of the door bell?

Yes i would agree it is unlike to burn out the winding, i'd be very suprised if ring don't also have a very small power resistor in their board to limit currents in this senario. Then again ring do recomend the 20 ohm resistor in their app note and appear to sell one to be installed.

I was trying to figure out why it appears to have "stopped working". Althought we would probably need to know exactly what "working" means, as it could be wifi or many other issues.

Question for the OP, is the LED circle illuminated on the front of the door bell?

Yeah, they recommend to install it and when I questioned the electrician, his answer was "Not needed. That's for the likes of people not knowing what they doing"

I bought today a multimeter and I will run some tests in the Ring wire end.

When I try to connect on Live View it does not illuminate.

Yesterday I tried to reset the device and at some point I got questioned whether or not a white circle was spinning and I answered No, then I got a message from the app saying my Ring Doorbell had low battery.

That's for the likes of people not knowing what they doing"

Yea manufacturers always put in additional bits for clueless people :rolleyes:

I think his explanation speaks for itself.

Advertisement