Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing service provider - advice

Options
  • 07-01-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I am about to change from Virgin to Tesco but before I do I am looking for any reviews of using Tesco mobile while abroad/roaming in Europe.

Virgin does not work abroad. I have tried and spent hours talking with them.

I don't want to experience that again!

Any body have any experience of roaming with tesco mobile?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Some people have reported issues with roaming with Tesco Mobile ... https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057751989/1

Have you considered GoMo?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I am about to change from Virgin to Tesco but before I do I am looking for any reviews of using Tesco mobile while abroad/roaming in Europe.

Virgin does not work abroad. I have tried and spent hours talking with them.

I don't want to experience that again!

Any body have any experience of roaming with tesco mobile?

TIA

Ignoring the Tesco question for a moment, what is the issue with Roaming?

What phone do you have?
    Checked manual international mode in sim toolkit?
    Everything works here and roaming except data while roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Davy wrote: »
    Ignoring the Tesco question for a moment, what is the issue with Roaming?

What phone do you have?
    Checked manual international mode in sim toolkit?
    Everything works here and roaming except data while roaming?

so first time nothing was working. after spending a long time speaking with virgin, changing settings etc they failed to resolve and said it was a problem with Samsung phones on their network.

Next time abroad, there were 5 phones with me and family.
    1 samsung worked. 3 didn't.
    1 HTC worked for a day and then didn't. - no data or voice calls

JTMan wrote: »
    Some people have reported issues with roaming with Tesco Mobile ... https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057751989/1

Have you considered GoMo?

really scared to use as it is eir, right? I think their customer service experience is really bad. has it improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

With GoMo you pay for what you get. Afaik they are a subsidiary of Eir.

• Advertisement

With GoMo you pay for what you get. Afaik they are a subsidiary of Eir.

is it bill pay or pay as you go

is it bill pay or pay as you go

30 day rolling contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

really scared to use as it is eir, right? I think their customer service experience is really bad. has it improved?

GoMo have no number that you can call. All support is online and not great.
    The missus and myself moved over and she was unable to get calls from anybody on Vodafone network for about 2 months.

Just resolved but not a great experience.

It's a €10 a month, hard to argue with that, but when it's not working you're pretty much on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Resurrecting this - I am with Virgin and can't get roaming either - Samsung. I have been to the UK, Greece, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain and no connection anywhere.

I have been on their online chat (seemingly they can only assist when I am in the country I need to access it from), into the shop, online google etc and no help. They have told me to download their Virgin App which I did but when I try to access it I have to 'check sim' which then says 'It looks like you are not currently connected to mobile data' - which I am!!

Seriously going to have to move providers! Back to Vodafone I think. :(

Dovies wrote: »
    Resurrecting this - I am with Virgin and can't get roaming either - Samsung. I have been to the UK, Greece, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain and no connection anywhere.

I have been on their online chat (seemingly they can only assist when I am in the country I need to access it from), into the shop, online google etc and no help. They have told me to download their Virgin App which I did but when I try to access it I have to 'check sim' which then says 'It looks like you are not currently connected to mobile data' - which I am!!

yeah a disaster. I moved all my family phones from Virgin to Three. I was with Three before and had no problems roaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I was about to move from Vodafone to Virgin as I wanted the unlimited data pack, which Vodafone don't offer. With this roaming issue, and I hear some banking automated SMS are getting blocked I think ill hold off.

I was about to move from Vodafone to Virgin as I wanted the unlimited data pack, which Vodafone don't offer. With this roaming issue, and I hear some banking automated SMS are getting blocked I think ill hold off.

I would. There are some premium numbers blocked by Virgin too - just the radio competitions etc.

yeah a disaster. I moved all my family phones from Virgin to Three. I was with Three before and had no problems roaming.

Hey. Did you go into Three to do it. I was in Carphone Warehouse and they want a 3 month bank statement etc. But if I go onto the Three website I can order a sim only and change over. Bit reluctant in case it goes t**s up and I end up with no phone.

Hey. Did you go into Three to do it. I was in Carphone Warehouse and they want a 3 month bank statement etc. But if I go onto the Three website I can order a sim only and change over. Bit reluctant in case it goes t**s up and I end up with no phone.

I did it online without any issue. My experience moving to Three was pretty easy.

When you order the new sim you can set the time/day you want the porting to begin. I got my new sim within a day or two. Stuck the new card into my phone. So I had two sims in there at once. Once the porting was complete Three sent me a text to tell me it was successful. After that I just got rid of the old sim

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aineo

I'm at the end of my vodafone contract, and reluctant to sign up for another 24 months. Ihear great deals around 48 months and other providers, 3, eir etc. My daughter also pay as you go. Vodafone seem to have more call and data limits? Information overload and idon't have any experience worth other providers. Any advice welcome !!!

Check out GoMo. €12.99 for all calls, texts and data.

aineo wrote: »
    I'm at the end of my vodafone contract, and reluctant to sign up for another 24 months. Ihear great deals around 48 months and other providers, 3, eir etc. My daughter also pay as you go. Vodafone seem to have more call and data limits? Information overload and idon't have any experience worth other providers. Any advice welcome !!!

works out so much cheaper to buy your phone outright from the likes of eglobal central or similar and get a sim only on a 30 day rolling contract

Advertisement