Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prudential Ride London

Options
  • 07-01-2020 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi all, has anyone here done this event? Entered and am waiting for the lottery results. In people's experiences are the chances of getting in pretty good or is there huge demand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did it once in 2017, it may be the last year as the contract is up so it may be busy. Not sure how good your chances are tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brchun0dpvotyk

Didn't realise it was the last year. Was it a good event?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's only possibly the last year. The agreements with the councils are up, and Surrey has put it out for public consultation (which will go well).

I'm in the lottery also - my brother has done it a couple of times, once through the (UK) lottery and once on a charity entry. Main issue seems to be bottle necks at the bottom of the climbs. I hope to get in, but I think logistics could be a pain on the day with the early start. If I get in, planning on staying with relations and hitting up a local (to them) club to join a group riding in to the start, as I'm presuming that's what locals do!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I got a place in 2018 an 2019. I'm in the lottery for this year - if I get 3 out of 3 I'll be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

I actually think 2021 is the last year of the RL event. I think the consultation is for the event post 2021

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's only possibly the last year. The agreements with the councils are up, and Surrey has put it out for public consultation (which will go well).

I'm in the lottery also - my brother has done it a couple of times, once through the (UK) lottery and once on a charity entry. Main issue seems to be bottle necks at the bottom of the climbs. I hope to get in, but I think logistics could be a pain on the day with the early start. If I get in, planning on staying with relations and hitting up a local (to them) club to join a group riding in to the start, as I'm presuming that's what locals do!

I'd say it gets tight in spots alright. Thanks and fingers crossed ye all get in. It's around Feb they let people know?

Didn't realise it was the last year. Was it a good event?
    To be honest I'm still 50-50 on it. Very well organised, ahead of the Etape du tour, although that has improved.
    Riders weren't that friendly. I avoided the traffic jams as the slower riders walk up Leith hill and it gets clogged.
    The locals were great, only did one stop and they were great. The encouragement and support from Kingston in was special and it's cool finishing up the Mall.
    But, it's not the most exciting other than out of London and back in through Kingston to the finish.
    I'd do the Etape ahead of it if I'd to pick between them. If you've free accommodation etc go for it but i wouldn't go spending a fortune to do it.

To be honest I'm still 50-50 on it. Very well organised, ahead of the Etape du tour, although that has improved.
    Riders weren't that friendly. I avoided the traffic jams as the slower riders walk up Leith hill and it gets clogged.
    The locals were great, only did one stop and they were great. The encouragement and support from Kingston in was special and it's cool finishing up the Mall.
    But, it's not the most exciting other than out of London and back in through Kingston to the finish.
    I'd do the Etape ahead of it if I'd to pick between them. If you've free accommodation etc go for it but i wouldn't go spending a fortune to do it.

Thanks for that. Will head over on the plane with the bike box so hopefully won't be too bad. Must have a look at the etape.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joxer72

Macy0161 wrote: »

I live in London - so I guess that makes me a local. Yes, many will cycle to the start but it makes for a pretty early rise!

Hi all, has anyone here done this event? Entered and am waiting for the lottery results. In people's experiences are the chances of getting in pretty good or is there huge demand?

Huge demand but you could always opt for a charity place. I've done it twice thru the ballot. If you want to go fast try to get in an early group (before 7am). Specify you're aiming for sub 5 hours or 4h 30. Theres rumours they check strava too (really???). It's pretty exhilarating smashing it through London. The group effect really lifts your overall speed.

• Advertisement

joxer72 wrote: »
    I live in London - so I guess that makes me a local. Yes, many will cycle to the start but it makes for a pretty early rise!
    All part of the fun! Left Fulham at 4.30, cycled through Hyde Park tunnel at 5, Piccadilly soon after where more lycra started to appear and just grew the closer we got to the start.
    Kudos to the organisers, they'd coffee stations at the start so that was a nice pick me up which the Etape has never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'll be heading in from Sutton direction, if I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Did it last year. It's a nice cycle, not too tough. Support is amazing! The one complaint I would have is that the food stops were absolute garbage. Nothing but gels. There were food stalls where you could buy a sandwich or burger, but the lack of free food in your entry fee was very poor in my opinion. Otherwise, very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Bit of a fiasco with the ballot results....

Anyone get a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭AxleAddict

Sadly not. I first entered in 2017 and was unsuccessful. For some reason their system keeps submitting for me subsequent ballots (at no additional cost) - not that its done me any good, as I've been unsuccessful each time!

Bit of a fiasco with the ballot results....

Anyone get a place?

I somehow got a place!! That's 2 years in a row after many failed attempts. Very, very lucky

Advertisement