Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iran-missile-attack-on-us-bases-in-iraq

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Looks like the United States is refusing to leave?

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1215777105998483456

Surely that's against international law?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So we agree, he did fcuk all really,

I do indeed, rich men give orders and poor men die.

Men , women , elderly, children

I don't clap and cheer anything ,I haven't been in combat or had to shoot some poor sod because some old rich man or woman told me I had to because of a decision to go to war for one reason or another

Did he **** up possibly yes but time could show he made a good decision ( how about we reconvene in a years time)

When it comes to the military I respect anyone that has or is serving including yourself ,you been there in Iraq as a soldier likely hundreds of thousands wanted you death or worse , including Soleimani who was actively involved in killing your friends and colleagues in other branches of the service or part of the coalition.

I would have thought you of all people might raise a glass or two of ale to him shuffling off to his mortal coil

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Looks like the United States is refusing to leave?

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1215777105998483456

Seems like Trump and Pompeo are not singing from the same hymn sheet, just as the DoD and Whitehouse weren’t on the moving out letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gatling wrote: »
    Men , women , elderly, children

I don't clap and cheer anything ,I haven't been in combat or had to shoot some poor sod because some old rich man or woman told me I had to because of a decision to go to war for one reason or another

Did he **** up possibly yes but time could show he made a good decision ( how about we reconvene in a years time)

When it comes to the military I respect anyone that has or is serving including yourself ,you been there in Iraq as a soldier likely hundreds of thousands wanted you death or worse , including Soleimani who was actively involved in killing your friends and colleagues in other branches of the service or part of the coalition.

I would have thought you of all people might raise a glass or two of ale to him shuffling off to his mortal coil

That's where you and I differ, i have seen what these missiles do, i have fought in actual wars (unlike boards keyboard warriors) and over the years as i have matured i have realized the lies that have been told over and over and over again by old rich people to send young men into harm's way.

You may laud and celebrate the death of this one man but seem to have missed the other deaths involved (collateral damage?) They have families too. You (and others) have accepted the American reason that he was/is/maybe involved in terrorism ans decide that a targeted assassination of a leading political/military figure of a sovereign nation is a legitimate reason.

He was in Iraq, the Americans have troops in Iraq, apparently friendly with Iraqi government. Why not arrest him and bring him to US for trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Surely that's against international law?

Of course.

Just watching twitter there lot of unconfirmed rumors about stuff is about happen. Just monitoring it to see if just propaganda or real 

• Advertisement

You may laud and celebrate the death of this one man but seem to have missed the other deaths involved (collateral damage?) They have families too.

He was in Iraq, the Americans have troops in Iraq, apparently friendly with Iraqi government. Why not arrest him and bring him to US for trial?

Who was the first say that the other night when Iran started launching missiles that innocent civilians Will be killed rather than American troops and somehow I'm in the wrong especially with you

I don't get it , I respect you served in combat some how I'm wrong ,I was the only one concerned with innocent civilians some how I'm wrong.,
    I agree with you I'm some how wrong ,
    But you ignored everyone else who were bating themselves blind at the idea of Americans soldiers getting killed .
    Not so long ago they would have been cheering you and your friends getting killed.

They very easily could have tried a snatch and grab it's likely he would have been killed in a shoot out with militia along with civilians caught in the cross fire .
    Which would have upset posters here

Precision hellfire strike seems to be the safest option for all concerned

alastair wrote: »
    Seems like Trump and Pompeo are not singing from the same hymn sheet, just as the DoD and Whitehouse weren’t on the moving out letter.

I think Trump replied the other day is not withdrawing either? They're a lot of evidence now coming out it was Pompeo who advised Trump to kill Soleimani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

That's where you and I differ, i have seen what these missiles do, i have fought in actual wars (unlike boards keyboard warriors) and over the years as i have matured i have realized the lies that have been told over and over and over again by old rich people to send young men into harm's way.

You may laud and celebrate the death of this one man but seem to have missed the other deaths involved (collateral damage?) They have families too. You (and others) have accepted the American reason that he was/is/maybe involved in terrorism ans decide that a targeted assassination of a leading political/military figure of a sovereign nation is a legitimate reason.

do you mind if I ask what action you saw

Oman Sultan Qabus the leader of the country has passed away, he has no heir. Something to watch.

Who was the first say that the other night when Iran started launching missiles that innocent civilians Will be killed rather than American troops and somehow I'm in the wrong especially with you

I don't get it , I respect you served in combat some how I'm wrong ,I was the only one concerned with innocent civilians some how I'm wrong.,
    I agree with you I'm some how wrong ,
    But you ignored everyone else who were bating themselves blind at the idea of Americans soldiers getting killed .
    Not so long ago they would have been cheering you and your friends getting killed.

They very easily could have tried a snatch and grab it's likely he would have been killed in a shoot out with militia along with civilians caught in the cross fire .
    Which would have upset posters here

Precision hellfire strike seems to be the safest option for all concerned

What? An attempt at arrest with guns would have put more innocent civilians at risk than several high explosive missiles? Are you honestly THAT uninformed?

• Advertisement

mickdoocey wrote: »
    do you mind if I ask what action you saw

5 years in British Army, Tank commander 1st gulf war.

What? An attempt at arrest with guns would have put more innocent civilians at risk than several high explosive missiles?

Yeah you do know that there is such things as small diameter bombs and missiles now , Israeli developed them and were using them for year's ,
    Fired from a drone of helicopter they detonate inside a vehicle and cause little or no damage outside of the target vehicles .

I said hellfire but no suprise you don't like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I think Trump replied the other day is not withdrawing either? They're a lot of evidence now coming out it was Pompeo who advised Trump to kill Soleimani.

Trump is at odds with Trump, but sure we’re used to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

5 years in British Army, Tank commander 1st gulf war.

Likely story.

Seems the US tried to kill another IRGC commander in Yemen on the day Soleimani was killed. US is a loose cannon

The United States military tried, but failed, to kill another senior Iranian commander on the same day a US drone strike killed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard's top general, Qassem Soleimani, US officials said Friday.

The officials said a military air attack targeted Abdul Reza Shahlai, a high-ranking commander in Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), but the mission was not successful. The officials spoke to the Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a classified mission.

The Pentagon declined to discuss the highly classified operation.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/iranian-leader-failed-200110191759172.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭The gray bird

Seems the US tried to kill another IRGC commander in Yemen on the day Soleimani was killed. US is a loose cannon

The United States military tried, but failed, to kill another senior Iranian commander on the same day a US drone strike killed the Islamic Revolutionary Guard's top general, Qassem Soleimani, US officials said Friday.

The officials said a military air attack targeted Abdul Reza Shahlai, a high-ranking commander in Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), but the mission was not successful. The officials spoke to the Associated Press news agency on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a classified mission.

The Pentagon declined to discuss the highly classified operation.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/iranian-leader-failed-200110191759172.html
    I think this wont end

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Likely story.

Why? If an American tank commander can be on here, why can't a British one?

That said...

You and I also differ, but we don't have the excuse of one of us having been to combat to make that result. The human tragedy of conflict is undeniable, I don't think you need to have seen the results of such in person to understand that.

I'm also well aware of what a missile will do, to the dead, the wounded, and the families. The physical horror and the sheer waste of it all has not escaped me. That does not mean that I have to share your view on the necessity of it.

I think this wont end

Sometime in the future Iran murders a US diplomat or US general what happens next? Neocons ordering the killing of Iran military leaders is crazy. This is noway good.

Sometime in the future Iran murders

More Innocent civilians what then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why? If an American tank commander can be on here, why can't a British one?

That said...

You and I also differ, but we don't have the excuse of one of us having been to combat to make that result. The human tragedy of conflict is undeniable, I don't think you need to have seen the results of such in person to understand that.

I'm also well aware of what a missile will do, to the dead, the wounded, and the families. The physical horror and the sheer waste of it all has not escaped me. That does not mean that I have to share your view on the necessity of it.

This is fine and all but I'm guessing if these wars and killings were to happen more and more in the US rather than far off in distant lands then the bloodlust if the US taxpayer would die off considerably. It seems to me that collateral damage is accepted as long as it's not American.

• Advertisement

Hezbelloh leader Nasrallah is now releasing statements the attack on Wednesday was just the start of operations to remove America from the region. He says the Axis of Resistance will begin its new operations, in days and the weeks ahead? It was a big speech.

Balad Iraqi/ US air base, just hit with 8 Katyusha rockets or mortars. Reports of Iraq army injuries so far. Uptick on what what happened before 2 to 3 rockets fired.

Lies, never end. So there was no immiment threat. It looking more likely everyday Soleimani went to Iraq for peace talks and they executed him.

Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said on Sunday that he did not see intelligence that supported President Trump’s comments that the Iranian commander killed in a U.S. drone strike was plotting attacks against four U.S. embassies.

Esper said on CBS's "Face the Nation" that he shared Trump’s view that planning was underway but did not cite intelligence information he saw to support the claims.

What the president said was he believed there probably and could've been attacks against additional embassies. I shared that view. I know other members of the national security team shared that view. That’s why I deployed thousands of American paratroopers to the Middle East to reinforce our embassy in Baghdad and other sites throughout the region,” Esper said.

NEWS: @EsperDod tells @margbrennan he "didn't see" specific evidence showing Iran planned to strike 4 U.S. embassies, despite @realDonaldTrump saying an attack at multiple embassies was “imminent." Watch more of Esper's interview on @FacetheNation today. pic.twitter.com/1Nud8waok1

— Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) January 12, 2020

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/477875-esper-said-he-didnt-see-intelligence-suggesting-iran-planned-to

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jotom

Last on the list for the greater state of Israel.

Look like Trump and Pompeo lied about Injuries at the base. CNN confirmed 11 concussion injuries so far. Washington Post claims up to 70 minor injuries- mainly concussion. Some soldiers were thrown through windows.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1217996058808242177

Pentagon admits this happened so far.
    The eleven soldiers were evacuated to US military hospitals in Kuwait and Germany to be treated for "traumatic brain injury" related to concussions from the blast of the SRBM's fired into the airbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Look like Trump and Pompeo lied about Injuries at the base. CNN confirmed 11 concussion injuries so far. Washington Post claims up to 70 minor injuries- mainly concussion. Some soldiers were thrown through windows.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1217996058808242177

Pentagon admits this happened so far.
    The eleven soldiers were evacuated to US military hospitals in Kuwait and Germany to be treated for "traumatic brain injury" related to concussions from the blast of the SRBM's fired into the airbase.

Looks like Galting was wrong.

smurgen wrote: »

Said no one us soldiers killed .

The only people killed were innocent civilians.

Turns out base didn't have anti aircraft missiles and still doesn't

smurgen wrote: »

CNN announced last night more US soldiers were sent to hospitals to be checked out. Fact remains we still don't know how many are suffering and what exactly are their symptoms. When I looked at the video, The night, it happened i stated that a frightening shock wave when the missiles struck. US soldiers maybe are likely suffering from a type of Shellshock or something like it?

Trump doesn't understand brain- head trauma can be a long-term thing for some people. 

Concussions seem to be the apparent injuries others are just being monitored ,

Nothing unusual there .

Unlike the passengers of flight 752 the soldiers get to go home ,and will receive the purple heart

• Advertisement

Concussions seem to be the apparent injuries others are just being monitored ,

Nothing unusual there .

Unlike the passengers of flight 752 the soldiers get to go home ,and will receive the purple heart

A medal for a headache, wear it with pride lads :pac:

Advertisement