Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukranian Airlines Flight PS752 Crash (See mod note/warning in post 270)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

L1011 wrote: »
    I'll put a more sensible thread title on when I'm at a PC. Can't do it mobile

Or....they could be getting out if one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GM228 wrote: »
    Humm, wonder is this true?

Hardly surprising in the current climate that the Iranians won't give the BB to the Americans.

Same for the Ethiopian airlines BB, https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-boeing-737-max-crash-black-boxes-20190314-story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

Would the manufacturer normally receive the black boxes? I'd thought they'd go to an accident investigating authority rather than Boeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

They obviously hit the plane at the same time they were firing rockets at the Iraq air bases, so they can claim it was simply collateral damage

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shedidnt

Why would you have 63 Canadians flying together from Iran to the Ukraine?

I've heard a rather imaginative explanation that it's easy for Iranians to get Canadian passports and they may be dual passport holders returning to Canada.

3 questions about that.
    Why coincidentally are 63 of them on the same plane?
    Would Iran mistakenly think that Canadian = US
    Is the Ukraine on a flight route from Iran to Canada?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Shedidnt wrote: »

Yes, there are direct flights from Kiev to Toronto

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I was on this exact same airline 3 years ago to the day (going from Kyiv to Tehran). Kyiv would be one of the main airports linking Tehran to the EU and North America.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I've heard a rather imaginative explanation that it's easy for Iranians to get Canadian passports and they may be dual passport holders returning to Canada.

3 questions about that.

There is a very large expat Iranian community in Canada, as well as students. A lot of them would have travelled to visit family and friends back home during Christmas holidays and were on their way back home. UIA has some of the cheapest fares around so naturally they used them for this trip. Pretty simple explanation really. No need for conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

It's extremely sad. 24 passengers under 16 including 1 yr old baby (sky news)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It's extremely sad. 24 passengers under 16 including 1 yr old baby (sky news)

UIA have released the passenger manifest with birthdays included:-

https://www.flyuia.com/ua/ua/news/2020/flight-ps752-passenger-list

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They obviously hit the plane at the same time they were firing rockets at the Iraq air bases, so they can claim it was simply collateral damage
    This doesn't make any sense unless there was a reason they were firing the rockets over Tehran, at least 500km away from the targets.

They would have been launched from a site closer to the border, well away from Tehran.
    UIA have released the passenger manifest with birthdays included:-

https://www.flyuia.com/ua/ua/news/2020/flight-ps752-passenger-list
    There are whole families in there, parents, children and grandchildren :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

seamus wrote: »
    This doesn't make any sense unless there was a reason they were firing the rockets over Tehran, at least 500km away from the targets.

They would have been launched from a site closer to the border, well away from Tehran.

I would have said at least 500 miles, Ain Assad is well away from the border in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

3 questions about that.

Many many nationalities in this region have dual Canadian citizenship. Many pakistani and syrian colleagues do. So it may be that approx 39% of the passengers were dual citizens with Canada. Or due to the escalation a Canadian firm was demob-ing its staff.
    No, Iranians no the difference between Americans and Canucks.
    Might have been the first flight out of hazard.

I just find it curious that you'd have 63 Canadians on a plane from Iran to the Ukraine, which came to its demise, the same day Iran attacks air bases with US (and Iraqi) personnel in Iraq. Just too coincidental for me. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

I just find it curious that you'd have 63 Canadians on a plane from Iran to the Ukraine, which came to its demise, the same day Iran attacks air bases with US (and Iraqi) personnel in Iraq. Just too coincidental for me. Just sayin'

Jeez, give it a rest. Check the manifests of any other major airline flying from there to Europe or North America and it will be full of dual citizens. Massive Iranian diaspora in countries around the world.

It's horrific seeing whole families on board, thoughts go out to their relatives. Hopefully it will be properly investigated despite all that's going on there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sounds like one for the conspiracy theories forum ;)

Lots of logical reasons given above. Though it's a moot point now, all tragically lost.

Reports this morning saying engine failure which is very worrying, especially so soon after take off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Look at the names on the passenger manifest. There are no European names, which you'd expect to see a lot of from 63 random Canadians. They were all either dual citizens or of Iranian descent.

There's a conspiracy theory forum for that kind of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If the Iranians won't give the black boxes to and invite in independent investigators to pour over the wreckage, I'd be quite suspicious. Iran can creditably call in Europeans to do the investigation, given that Europe didn't end its involvement in the nuclear deal and re-impose sanctions when the US did. The Ukrainians can creditably call on Europeans as they did after MH. If they do so, I'd say we'll find out it was a very tragic accident.

If they do not do so, the chances of foul play (possibly accidental foul play, eg air defences put on high alert at the time of the missile strikes and someone sets one off) are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Shedidnt is a newly reg'd person signed up just to stir things by the looks of it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Interesting facts(Early possibly non accurate):

Flight goes down same night as multiple air strikes from the same city
    Clear videos shown of the aircraft in a ball of fire crashing
    no distress signals
    Fuselage covered in the same type pepped holes as the Malaysian flight
    Iran wont hand over the black box's to Boeing and say it looks like engine failure.

Its really not a conspiracy theory. A lot of evidence points towards something sinister. I wouldn't say those on board were directly targeted.

If they had brains they'd invite a foreign body to investigate. I remember in Moscow after the fly dubai crash in Russia. I was going through security screening and 4 NTSB guys were having their face masks examined and thats how i know they were NTSB. One of the guys announced himself as NTSB and the masks were for investigating the Fly Dubai crash site he told them.

You need a tinfoil hat if you are still curious. I gave you a perfectly simple explanation a few posts ago, so did others.

Your plausible explanations are not really plausible to be honest. There were 3 Brits, a few Swedish or something. I'd find no issue with 10 Canadians - but 63? Lol. Pull d'other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go say it in Conspiracy Theories if you want to continue. Stop posting here.

Interesting facts(Early possibly non accurate):

Flight goes down same night as multiple air strikes from the same city
    Clear videos shown of the aircraft in a ball of fire crashing
    no distress signals
    Fuselage covered in the same type pepped holes as the Malaysian flight
    Iran wont hand over the black box's to Boeing and say it looks like engine failure.

Its really not a conspiracy theory. A lot of evidence points towards something sinister. I wouldn't say those on board were directly targeted.

If they had brains they'd invite a foreign body to investigate. I remember in Moscow after the fly dubai crash in Russia. I was going through security screening and 4 NTSB guys were having their face masks examined and thats how i know they were NTSB. One of the guys announced himself as NTSB and the masks were for investigating the Fly Dubai crash site.

Yes. Considering the good safety record of 737-800 and purported very up to date maintenance record of this specific aircraft, and the night that this is happened in, the likelihood of this being caused by external factors is significant. Iraq-bound missiles wouldn't have been anywhere vicinity of the airport - undreds of miles away. But there are some nuclear as well as numerous military sites nearby, it is not beyond realm of imagination that they thought one of those sites are under attack as expected. Especially if the plane may have ever slightly diverted from its route or schedule or flight plan. Although I have to say the main Nuclear site nearby (Fordo) in some 160km away SOUTH of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Yes. Considering the good safety record of 737-800 and purported very up to date maintenance record of this specific aircraft, and the night that this is happened in, the likelihood of this being caused by external factors is significant. Iraq-bound missiles wouldn't have been anywhere vicinity of the airport - undreds of miles away. But there are some nuclear as well as numerous military sites nearby, it is not beyond realm of imagination that they thought one of those sites are under attack as expected. Especially if the plane may have ever slightly diverted from its route or schedule or flight plan.

I genuinely don't believe it was engine failure. Be it a on board bomb, or some sort of RPG deployed from near by the airport. But Tensions are very high and people are stupid and its way too much of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

So sad. Saw it 3 weeks ago. RIP to all on board.

49350531643_a17494b061_c.jpgIMG_8953 by b318isp, on Flickr

I genuinely don't believe it was engine failure. Be it a on board bomb, or some sort of RPG deployed from near by the airport. But Tensions are very high and people are stupid and its way too much of a coincidence.

or, tragically, probably more likely to be legit air defence system mistaking it for enemy aircraft. like what happened with the Malaysian over Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Yeah, More likely a device inside the plane or some ground to air M. That plane was only 3 years old....They have a very good reliability record...generally even if 2 engins fail for whatever reason it will not explode mid air, like this seems to have done, they still would have a chance to ditch, glide back in or whatever...Planes rarely go catastrophic like this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

If they had shot it down would they not have restricted access to the crash site to hide any signs of a missile strike. The site was full of rescue workers and media.

Has anything been said of what caused the hour delay before takeoff?

Advertisement