Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukranian Airlines Flight PS752 Crash (See mod note/warning in post 270)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

GM228 wrote: »
    Unverified images that were spread via social media yesterday which no major news organisation has run with....

....there's probably a reason why no one (at least no one reputable) is running with the story

UK Government are going with the missile story its on Sky News

https://news.sky.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1215317042603221000?s=19

A slightly more sensational take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If it's a missile it's unforgivable that so many innocent people have died it's making me so angry to think any regime would do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Missile hit seems to be the consensus now.
    Interesting that the US had Iran under ISTAR surveillance and let the story break, rather than shape the narrative.

Boeing will no doubt be breathing a sigh of relief if the cause is a missile too.

R.I.P to those who've lost their lives and one would hope that whomever gave the release order and those who undertook the launch are afforded a more appropriate justice than those who shot down Iran Air 655.

Did Iran think they could cover it up?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 17,477 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

scotchy wrote: »

I'm sure there was hardly someone putting their hand up and saying oops

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, which is why they didn't try to deny it was a missile from the start.

Unlike the Russians in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

IE 222 wrote: »
    Win??????

176 people lost their lives here.

Yes, and that is why I have been so interested in seeing Iran not get away with it's attempts to absolve itself of responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

I just dont understand how this happens by mistake. If you're sitting with your finger on a red button waiting to shoot down enemy planes, surely you would have a copy of all scheduled commercial flights due to depart your international airport that day at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CPTM wrote: »
    I just dont understand how this happens by mistake. If you're sitting with your finger on a red button waiting to shoot down enemy planes, surely you would have a copy of all scheduled commercial flights due to depart your international airport that day at the very least.

I think you are giving them far more credit than they are due. Besides, it was delayed and 2 hours behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

This flight was delayed by almost an hour.

And position your Anti Aircraft missiles at the end of your main international airport runway?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

josip wrote: »
    No, which is why they didn't try to deny it was a missile from the start.

Unlike the Russians in Ukraine.

Iran are denying it was hit with a missile.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, and that is why I have been so interested in seeing Iran not get away with it's attempts to absolve itself of responsibility.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything to be victorious about. This is real live not some quizz game.

Nothing has been proven as of yet. It's only suspicions and good reasons to believe it was shot down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

because you are dealing with a murderous repressive regime, which thinks nothing of gunning their own citizens down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Loss of power, loss of hydraulics and trying to regain control with possibly damaged flight surfaces?
    Then why did both the radios and transponder fail? They are designed to be powered by the aircraft batteries as a last resort.

I can understand their reluctance to send the FDR to the NTSB or even an European agency, but what about sending it to someplace like Singapore?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

because you are dealing with a murderous repressive regime, which thinks nothing of gunning their own citizens down.

I think only the extreme conspiracy theorists thought that Iran deliberately shot it down.
    But it was obvious to most others that it was highly likely Iran shot it down by mistake, bearing in mind everything else that was happening that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

banie01 wrote: »
    Boeing will no doubt be breathing a sigh of relief if the cause is a missile too..

No one is relieved that 176 people lost their lives no matter what!

• Advertisement

And position your Anti Aircraft missiles at the end of your main international airport runway?
    That happens a lot in this part of the world, in Damascus you would find tanks buried with just their turrets above the ground and that was before all this recent mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    No one is relieved that 167 people lost their lives no matter what!

While I would like to agree it’s not hard to imagine that someone in Boeing is relieved a bit, given all they have going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

It would of had a call sign and civil are clearly identified on radar. I find it very strange the military wouldn't have both primary and secondary radar at it disposal to easily identify the aircraft.

I wonder what the plane passing above it was. There was reports of the investigation team questioning a crew of a plane passing above it. It doesn't seem to appear on flight radar and maybe it played a part in this with someone mistaking PS752 for it as descending for an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very likely. Your airport is a potential target.

BBC and Sky leading with Megan and Harry FFS

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Discodog wrote: »
    Very likely. Your airport is a potential target.

Absolutly, but the point Im trying to make is, if you position missiles there, you'd better be damn sure your not firing at a 737.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Absolutly, but the point Im trying to make is, if you position missiles there, you'd better be damn sure your not firing at a 737.

Imagine the consequences if an American Bomber flies overhead & you don't shoot at it. We aren't talking about a highly trained, calm operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

smurfjed wrote: »
    Then why did both the radios and transponder fail? They are designed to be powered by the aircraft batteries as a last resort.

I can understand their reluctance to send the FDR to the NTSB or even an European agency, but what about sending it to someplace like Singapore?

I have no clue and honestly couldn't hazard a guess other than catastrophic failure.

Of all the people on boards tho, I'd be certain that you more than most would agree that Comms were at the back of the flight crews mind during their brief time trying to save the airframe?
    Aviate, navigate and communicate.

The Black Box, can also totally understand the reluctance to engage with NTSB given the sanctions regime and anti-american sentiment.

Agree that one of the Euro or Asian agencies with appropriate experience and equipment should be used.

If memory serves the Ethiopians did the same after their MAX crash? (Could have been the Malaysian's but 1 of them definitely did.).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

By a bizarre coincidence, Sky Atlantic today showed an old West Wing episode in which a crisis arose when Iran shot down a British airline's 737 which strayed off its flightpath, mistaking it for a US RC-135 recon aircraft.

Looking at the grainy footage I am reminded only of the Concorde crash. Something external impacted that 737 after it took off to cause that fire and with design tech changes I don't think it was a fragment of debris from the runway.

• Advertisement

newsweek are reporting that it was shot down by missiles according to “sources”

Advertisement