Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

tanko wrote: »
    I don’t mind who wins it as long as it’s not Ali Carter

Amen to that. A thoroughly unlikeable personality. I'd enjoy a Murphy Gilbert final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Inviere wrote: »
    Amen to that. A thoroughly unlikeable personality. I'd enjoy a Murphy Gilbert final.

Another +1 here on anybody but Carter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The only benefit of Carter winning would be Ronnie having to live with the knowledge that he let him into the tournament in the first place.

That said, I'm for Gilbert all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

He’s had it tough away from the table but for as long as I can remember he’s always had a chip on his shoulder about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

FR01 wrote: »
    He’s had it tough away from the table but for as long as I can remember he’s always had a chip on his shoulder about something.

Yeah the narrative around him annoys me. I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic, he's a warrior, and a fighter, but I don't find him likeable in any way. You'd think he has the monopoly on pain and suffering the way people go on about him. Mark Allen falls very much into the same category for me, another persistent whinger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For Carter to have fought cancer more than once, and suffered with a debilitating disease like crohns and still manage to be as un-liked as he is, is almost admirable.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

For longer than I care to admit I thought his nickname was “Ballroom Bingham”. I had even convinced myself that he did move around the table a little bit like a dancer.

"Ballroom Bingham"... That is brilliant! Been laughing about that all morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Didn't know these two were good friends. Wouldn't mind seeing Captain Carter win the Masters if only to see Ronnies reaction in the studio. He'd do his best to hide it but he could only be well pissed off i reckon. I do fancy Murphy though 6-4.

No century yet for Carter afte r 12 winning frames.

Murphy is a tactical mental midget. Great break builder. Rubbish at getting snookers or making them. Thats his big downfall.

• Advertisement

Murphy wasted 10 minutes messing around looking for 3 snookers when he hadn't a hope. Carter leads 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Maybe just me but table looks to be playing heavy again, as it has all week. Thought they might have relaid the cloth so it would be a bit livelier but still seems to be bit dead to me. Maybe its humidity or something, not sure.

Poor refereeing there. After Murphy missed a red twice he failed to tell him he would forfeit a frame if he didn't hit one the third time. Murphy had to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭tanko

Poor refereeing there. After Murphy missed a red twice he failed to tell him he would forfeit a frame if he didn't hit one the third time. Murphy had to ask.

If he missed the red for a third time and the ref hadn't said anything would he still forfeit the frame?

If he missed the red for a third time and the ref hadn't said anything would he still forfeit the frame?

No. Ref would then issue the warning for the next shot, assuming opponent put him back in.

Good question. Dont know to be honest.

What was the ref doing there taking a red off table?

What brutal snooker. Ali gets in with balls well spread and gets a break of 1.

Murphy has been fairly inept today in what is a poor match. Have to say bar the Gilbert story it is the worst Masters i can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Bleurgh. He's going to win isn't he.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Long enough way to go. Lot of these guys, with all their experience, look very jittery this week. Masters title would be huge for them. Never know but doubt carter will run away with it.

Head to head Bingham v Gilbert 10-0.

Never know what significance to attach to hth stats, but it does leap out a bit. Gilbert so improved it might be irrelevant but hendry thinks it will be in the back of his mind and would have to agree with him.

Head to head Bingham v Gilbert 10-0.

Never know what significance to attach to hth stats, but it does leap out a bit. Gilbert so improved it might be irrelevant but hendry thinks it will be in the back of his mind and would have to agree with him.

Thats crazy. Law of averages and all that. Wow. Embarrassing stat.

Carter butchering an easy rest shot. Can Murphy find some form?

Was sure that red looked pottable from behind the camera angle. Huge potential steal for carter now.

Was sure that red looked pottable from behind the camera angle. Huge potential steal for carter now.

I think it was. Touch of side. Just hit it poorly.

I think it was. Touch of side. Just hit it poorly.

Yeah, didnt cue it well enough. It was definitely makeable and he was down over it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The fluke of doom, looking like 5-3.

Edit: And the in off for good measure.

PPS: Murphy concedes.

Incredible fluke that, sickener for murphy.

• Advertisement

Captain reaches the final. Fair play. Ronnie looking more like a div in.the studio. He messed with thesnookrr gods and they are having the last laugh.

Good performance from Carter, strong tactically and some decent scoring at times. Murphy out of sorts I thought.

Murphy at least having the manners to do his post match interview with respect and dignity. Unlike others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I like Ali carter, he is likeable. He’s on the verge of crying there at times in that interview

Good interview with Carter there, he’s not as bad as Boards would have us believe is he?

I like Ali carter, he is likeable. He’s on the verge of crying there at times in that interview

Yea i like him too. Never bothered me even if he can be a bit moody.

• Advertisement

This Chris Henry guy has revived a lot of players careers now, he must charge a fortune for an hour on the sofa with him, but it’s working

As a snooker player, plenty to admire about carter. As a person, a ukip, brexit supporting little englander just never going to be my cup of tetleys, no matter what kind of odds he has battled.

Interesting that Ali said he feels the Masters is the biggest tournament of the season due to the size of the arena, the hospitality, and it's location in London. He sounded like he'd like the Worlds moved there from the Crucible to 'move with the times'. I've been to the Masters twice and it's a great set up and usually high quality matches with the elite top 16 nearly guaranteeing that.

He said he loved the Crucible, also, and its history but feels maybe the Crucible is too small. For me i dont agree. Masters is a quality tournament and no doubt London is a top city but i'd like the worlds to remain in Sheffield and hope to attend the mystical Crucible in the not too distant future.

As a snooker player, plenty to admire about carter. As a person, a ukip, brexit supporting little englander just never going to be my cup of tetleys, no matter what kind of odds he has battled.

Very true. He seems to think that he's the only person that ever had to battle cancer. Most people don't beat it, he needs to ease off on the victim complex.

You'll have till 2027 anyway when the current deal with the crucible expires. It will finally happen, money simply dictates these matters. The corporate angle is where they obviously want to go and the crucible isnt designed for it. Might just have to savour the next 7 years because i wouldnt trust them for a second not to sell out.

• Advertisement

You'll have till 2027 anyway when the current deal with the crucible expires. It will finally happen, money simply dictates these matters. The corporate angle is where they obviously want to go and the crucible isnt designed for it. Might just have to savour the next 7 years because i wouldnt trust them for a second not to sell out.

Could you see it going to China? That would be the death knell for the game in our parts i'd imagine.

Could you see it going to China? That would be the death knell for the game in our parts i'd imagine.

Hard one, have the cash to bid for it anyway. Remember reading a story that the chinese were planning to build a replica crucible (though about twice the size I'd wager) but dont know if it ever came to pass. 20-30 years down the line, its hard to know how the landscape will look.

Another good match ahead of us... I love weekend night snooker.

Hoping Bingham will win this

Interesting match. Gilbert been playing the better snooker by far but bingham will surely expose any mental frailty. If its close i think bingham will prevail.

Bingham looking in the zone tonight. Formidable opponent when he hits this sort of mood.

Gilbert needs to wake up here. If he goes three down he's in big trouble.

Rabbit in headlights stuff from dave so far. Needs bingham just to stick one up to get him going.

This is more like it from Gilbert.

Here's a scary realization -- O'Sullivan, Higgins, and Williams turned professional before Desislava Bozhilova was born.

Jesus, this frame!

• Advertisement
Advertisement