Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Playoffs: Divisional Round

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Fonny122

Yeah and wasn’t the only favourable spot they got in this game either. One of their TDs was short as well before the goal line and was given.

To be frank, the referee calls are not something the Seahawks really can complain about last night either. There were some bad ones either way, but none more so than the clearest non overturned fumble I can recall seeing in recent years.

GB are unrecognisable from recent years, which makes you wonder how they could have done with an actual defense over the last decade as this is probably their second best season since 2011 despite Rogers being quite off the boil. They will want a bit more of what he showed last night next week to have a prayer though, the matchups just do not work for the otherwise and it could wind up being a really dull drubbing of a conference game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ankles wrote: »
    I think so. I remember one quote from a player who was asked if an early missed TD by the losing team affected the game. He answered "yeah, it would have been 73-6"....

I wasn't familiar with this game until it was discussed on here last night. Did a bit of reading about it today and they had played in the regular season 3 weeks before and the Redskins won 7-3. That's some turnaround in 3 week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

BoldReason wrote:
    I don't support a team but nothing grinds my gears more than inept coaching staff with great players. So frustrating to watch.
    I presume you are talking about the Texans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

San Francisco 49ers
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I presume you are talking about the Texans?

Was talking about the Seahawks in this instance.
    Texans haven't been bad as a whole over the season but there was some terrible stuff yesterday starting with kicking from the opponents 15 or whatever it was on 4th and half a yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Green Bay Packers
    Pete Carroll is not an inept coach whatever way you want to look at it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Pete Carroll is not an inept coach whatever way you want to look at it.
    This exactly, anybody suggesting that Carroll, a NCAA national championship and Superbowl winner, is a bad or even average coach hasn't a clue.

San Francisco 49ers
    He was terrible this week and he has had some poor games this year.

That's just my opinion, never stated it as fact. If you believe I haven't a clue I'm not really bothered tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Green Bay Packers
    Of course, I don't know whether you have a clue or not tbf though I suspect you were responding to EE rather than myself.

You can hold any opinion you like, but you said something along the lines of you hate when inept coaching staff holding back great players or something like that.

I just don't see how in any way you can draw the conclusion that Pete Carroll is an inept coach, in any way. As you said you don't have a team so maybe you are not following football very long I don't know.

Carroll covered for Wilson's deficiencies initially in the league and led that team to a Superbowl and surely has to take some credit for turning Wilson into the NFL qb that he is today?

No coach gets every decision right and Pete like all of the greats has gotten plenty wrong in his time, the pick play in the Superbowl v the pats being the most obvious. Funny that in that situation people were screaming at him for taking the ball out of lynch's hands and putting it in Wilson's hands to win the game in that one :)

Opinions are fine though, I'm just expressing my own that there is no way I can fathom how someone can conclude Pete Carroll is an inept coach.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

San Francisco 49ers
    Inept was probably a bit strong. He has certainly digressed in how aggressive he used to be which I don't like as the league is going the other way. It is mainly that I really dont like tbh.
    He is a very good coach on his day no doubt. But past performances should not exclude you from current or future criticisms and I really didn't think he did his team any favours this year in a number of games.

Anyway not interested in discussing that beyond that in this thread. On to next week.

San Francisco 49ers
    Also I actually didn't mind that superbowl play. It was such a great play by butler to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Green Bay Packers
    Carroll's gameplans this year have been pretty atrocious. He has an elite QB and and a below average defense and running game, yet he's game planning as if he has an elite running game and defense and a game manager at QB.

Punting the ball back to Green bay with less than 3 mins left is beyond stupid and the fiasco at the end of the week 17 game needs to be called out too.

They should be putting the ball in Wilson's hands at every opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

adrian522 wrote: »
    Carroll's gameplans this year have been pretty atrocious. He has an elite QB and and a below average defense and running game, yet he's game planning as if he has an elite running game and defense and a game manager at QB.

Punting the ball back to Green bay with less than 3 mins left is beyond stupid and the fiasco at the end of the week 17 game needs to be called out too.

They should be putting the ball in Wilson's hands at every opportunity.

He also has a bozo for an OC, which I imagine doesnt help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Green Bay Packers
    Of course, I don't know whether you have a clue or not tbf though I suspect you were responding to EE rather than myself.

You can hold any opinion you like, but you said something along the lines of you hate when inept coaching staff holding back great players or something like that.

I just don't see how in any way you can draw the conclusion that Pete Carroll is an inept coach, in any way. As you said you don't have a team so maybe you are not following football very long I don't know.

Carroll covered for Wilson's deficiencies initially in the league and led that team to a Superbowl and surely has to take some credit for turning Wilson into the NFL qb that he is today?

No coach gets every decision right and Pete like all of the greats has gotten plenty wrong in his time, the pick play in the Superbowl v the pats being the most obvious. Funny that in that situation people were screaming at him for taking the ball out of lynch's hands and putting it in Wilson's hands to win the game in that one :)

Opinions are fine though, I'm just expressing my own that there is no way I can fathom how someone can conclude Pete Carroll is an inept coach.

I wouldn't say Carroll is inept but he however has some obvious flaws, one being that he hires or accepts inept coaches working under him and is very slow to move on from them.

He had Tom Cable making a complete disaster of their OL for several years and now he has Schottenheimer as an OC who is completely wasting Wilson by trying to force being a run first team until they are chasing games.

I'd argue that Carroll has gotten much more conservative as the years have gone on, possibly still shell shocked from that Patriots Super Bowl. I doubt there's an analytics person in their building

San Francisco 49ers
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'd argue that Carroll has gotten much more conservative as the years have gone on, possibly still shell shocked from that Patriots Super Bowl. I doubt there's an analytics person in their building

Spot on with this. As I mentioned earlier the Seahawks are getting more Conservative while the rest of the league is going the other way.

adrian522 wrote:
    He had three timeouts and he was looking at field position which was the right call.

I agree that Carroll is a quality coach, him or Harbaugh have probably been tops this decade after Belichick, but I would guess he picks his coordinators? If that is the case, their performances also have to be leveled on him, a bit like how a lot of people think Dom Capers ultimately got Mike Mccarthy sacked in GB.

Not that the seahawks should get rid of Carroll, that would be a terrible move in my opinion!

San Francisco 49ers
    Fonny122 wrote: »
    I agree that Carroll is a quality coach, him or Harbaugh have probably been tops this decade after Belichick, but I would guess he picks his coordinators? If that is the case, their performances also have to be leveled on him, a bit like how a lot of people think Dom Capers ultimately got Mike Mccarthy sacked in GB.

Not that the seahawks should get rid of Carroll, that would be a terrible move in my opinion!

Would probably have Mike Tomlin ahead of both those guys overall but Harbaugh probably ahead of Tomlin currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Fonny122 wrote: »

In the heat of games (and there's been a lot of heat this year) some Seahawks fans can be found online calling for Petes head. But in the cold light of day most can see he's a top coach but has his faults and blind spots, such as taking too long to fix the O line, stubbornness in tactics and playcalling, and pretty poor time management. I think if he went we'd be worse off for it, but I'd be happy enough if Norton and Schotty went elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

I think if he went we'd be worse off for it, but I'd be happy enough if Norton and Schotty went elsewhere.

this seems to be the general consensus for every team he ends up on!

phatkev wrote: »
    this seems to be the general consensus for every team he ends up on!

His continued existence in the league really is all the evidence needed that nepotism is still very much a thing in the nfl (McVay even outright said he only got a HC job so young because of nepotism, which was very refreshing).

Prior to the Seattle job, he had about 10 years as an OC and I would be quite sure - at best - no more than two of them were in the top half of the table (and I would be stunned if any were top 10 for points or yards).

In Seattle, the seahawks have finished 8tb for points but only 18th for yards in 2018, while being 9th and 8th respectively this year. But that is with a guy who does have a legit argument as the best overall qb in the league, a criminally underrated no. 1 wr who is borderline top 5 imo, quite possibly the biggest physical freak at the position opposite him who has shown he really can play. Plus a top quality rb and some other nice weapons down the depth chart.

He's beginning to reach Jeff fisher levels of "how is he still getting jobs?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement