Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slack Anyone?

Options
  • 08-01-2020 11:52am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just gauging the interest in a Slack Channel if anyone is interested. Could have a few channels for Linux/Unix, Development, DevOps, System Admin, etc.

Comments

In my experience with IRC, there is initial excitement and within a few weeks users dwindle and the channels stagnate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In my experience with IRC, there is initial excitement and within a few weeks users dwindle and the channels stagnate.

I assumed that would be the case. I think I put the question out there just to confirm that and see if there actually was any real interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

There's a whole Slack server dedicated to C++. I'm on it with keyword search triggers for my C++ related stuff so it pings me if people start talking about my stuff, but otherwise I ignore it.

The problem is the low signal to noise ratio on any form of IM. Not worth wading through all that noise caused by people being too lazy to type a search into google, unless your salary requires you to do so. That chases away all the people likely to raise the signal to noise, and that in turn leads to a constant cycle of debasement to the lowest possible common denominator.

I'm not a fan of IM, or anything "instant".

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Personally i love slack, have used it in a few jobs. Really depends on the audience you get but yeah its decent. Go for it i say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

There's an irish tech community slack which is pretty good

https://slackin-itc.herokuapp.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 bswan

i find it brilliant, i have been in a couple of different teams when it has been introduced and it improved communication massively. far better than email threads for discussions also has a good search feature for digging up old conversations.

Advertisement