Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Upstairs Toilet

• 08-01-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

We are half way through an extension on our property, our main bathroom is downstairs and upstairs we will at the end have one large bedroom and a second (for the kids) playroom/lounge room, I am wanting to install a small upstairs toilet in the corner, as I'm having nightmares thinking of the daughter running down the stairs in the middle of the night and tripping just to use the toilet.

Does anyone have a rough idea of what it would cost to install a basic toilet and small basin?

My husband is wanting to wait until the extension is finished and than think about a Toilet, but my argument is to get it done while we are still doing the extension as the walls are bare and we'd be able to put the pipes in etc.

Thank You for any advice, help you can give me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't help on cost but now is ideal time while builders are in and floors up etc...

Definitely a great idea to have one there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ask the builder to price it straight away. Be clear with builder - Just price it!

Last thing you want is re-work at the end of a job. Getting trades people is hard, if you have them get them involved and figure out what you want ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You could have a gravity problem which may require pressurising the water system in the house. Not a bad thing but will add to the cost. I'd get more than one opinion on it. Think about prepping for solar if you need to change your hot water cylinder if you have to add a pump to send the water upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bettyob

Thank you all for your advice, we have radiators already upstairs which requires one of those pressurising water things to help the water go up. So I'm going to assume it would be the same type of setup?
    My father in law is the builder, hence me wanting advice from others. I want to know all the facts before I speak with him. My husband says wait, but if we need piping and pressurising systems and what not, my argument would be to do it now while you can see everything before the internal walls go up.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bettyob wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice, we have radiators already upstairs which requires one of those pressurising water things to help the water go up. So I'm going to assume it would be the same type of setup?
    My father in law is the builder, hence me wanting advice from others. I want to know all the facts before I speak with him. My husband says wait, but if we need piping and pressurising systems and what not, my argument would be to do it now while you can see everything before the internal walls go up.

You are correct, it makes no sense at all to wait. Waiting will mean undoing some of the work you are currently paying to get done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bettyob wrote: »

Shower isn't going to add a lot to it so besides building an unleakabke box for it to go into.
    Put in a pumped shower (rainshower) somewhere upstairs or downstairs if you can as there in a different league to a an electric shower. It's a bit of luxury.

Advertisement