Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual power source switch

Options
  • 08-01-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I have a power cable going to a water pump. But when the power goes I have no pump. So I want to be able able to supply the pump with power two ways and manually switch between both when I need to.

1) Original way, mains power.
    2) A socket that will be fed from a generator.

What kind of socket\switch do I need?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

indy_man wrote: »
    I have a power cable going to a water pump. But when the power goes I have no pump. So I want to be able able to supply the pump with power two ways and manually switch between both when I need to.

1) Original way, mains power.
    2) A socket that will be fed from a generator.

What kind of socket\switch do I need?

Thanks.

Generator change over switch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182629037780

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭indy_man

Perfect. So I guess I have two options here. I could set this up as I describe in the original post or I could slot this in on the power supply going into my fuse board, then the generator could power more than just my water pump. Does this seem reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

indy_man wrote: »
    Perfect. So I guess I have two options here. I could set this up as I describe in the original post or I could slot this in on the power supply going into my fuse board, then the generator could power more than just my water pump. Does this seem reasonable?

If you are installing a changeover switch on your distribution board then you’ll need a higher rated one(100amp)
    This would require a rec to install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If its JUST the pump you want to supply you could use a simple industrial plug and socket. One socket is fed from the existing wire the second socket is fed from whatever power source you plan to use in a power cut. The plug is on the pump lead

Just thinking about this, this morning - I'm talking about putting the plug and socket arrangement in the pump house, not at the distribution board

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If its JUST the pump you want to supply you could use a simple industrial plug and socket. One socket is fed from the existing wire the second socket is fed from whatever power source you plan to use in a power cut. The plug is on the pump lead

This approach will work however in order to have an earth reference the generator will need an earth rod and it would be best to neutralize IMHO. This makes the generator a little less mobile and the installer slightly more complex.

2011 wrote: »
    This approach will work however in order to have an earth reference the generator will need an earth rod and it would be best to neutralize IMHO. This makes the generator a little less mobile and the installer slightly more complex.

From the original post I thought the OP is referring to one of the small generators you'd lift in & out of a car - that & an earth rod as you say would surely be an easier install that having to pull cable from an outside wall (for generator connection) to the distribution board and having changeover switches installed.

OP - are you looking for a quick/easy solution for the pump alone or do you want to have the whole house supplied by the generator?

Advertisement