Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help In Paris - Urgently

• 09-01-2020 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭

My 19 year old son has been rushed to hospital in Paris. He was over for a few days with his girlfriend. He is a Type 1 diabetic. He said he was sick for two days but thought he was feeling better. I got a call from his distraught girlfriend about an hour ago saying he was really sick.

They got a doctor and he was taken to hospital in an ambulance. The girlfriend was with him but she says nobody in the hospital speaks english. I sent some screenshots of diabetic terms translated into French but she says they still did not seem to know any better.

They have taken him away now and she cannot get any more information.

Would anyone on here have any contacts in Paris or France or even speaks French who could potentially call the hospital to see if they can find out any information? I tried calling the hospital but nobody spoke english. I think they said he is in ER but that was all I got.

Mods: I have also posted this in After Hours but I just need to get a bit of help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I’d try to get onto the Irish embassy ASAP. France is a great country in terms of medicine. I’m sure they are doing the best they can for him. I’ve been witness to many foreign people being sick here through work and medics work systemically to find out what is wrong. I’m sure he’ll be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have tried the embassy but they are closed. I left a voicemail on their emergency line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Ring DFA in Dublin, they will have the emergency contact details for the staff in Paris.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/assistance-abroad/consular-assistance-charter/

I had a call from the embassy and the lady called the hospital but they wont talk to a non family member, even from the embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Posting to bump thread to top of front page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I had a call from the embassy and the lady called the hospital but they wont talk to a non family member, even from the embassy.

Google now does live voice translation, might not be perfect but his girlfriend should be able to communicate with them using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Sorry to hear about your situation and no doubt its stressful for all concerned
    However, I think its likely the same situation will happen for anyone who rings trying to get information. They are simply not in a position to issue it to people who cannot be confirmed as next of kin. Its standard medical practice, but even moreso in the world of GDPR.

The best bet is maybe to get one of the translation apps on your sons phone so he can write down (or speak) what he wants to ask and they convert it to french. Most apps will support french-english translation but google translate will definitely handle it for you - both translate the text and speak it for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Hi OP, I can only imagine how stressed out you are.

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe you could post on one of the expat Facebook pages like the one I'm linking below, and somebody might have a relative working in the hospital?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/329717537365226/about/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Not being funny and I dont speak French but I guessed it was "diabétique"..

I hope he's OK. (editing this next bit out because it's not worth the aggro)

For future reference your son should carry a card or wear a chain or bracelet identifying himself as a diabetic. I had a diabetic friend who was stubborn enough to remove his when he was having an episode but for most people they're very useful for medical staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I live in France and speak "medical" very regularly, so can translate in either direction if I/you/we can get around the not speaking to relatives problem. Are you simply trying to find out what's happened and/or what's planned, or are you trying to pass on additional information?

Not sure why everyone else is talking about 'phoning tomorrow. I was going to go to bed ;-) but PM me whatever details you have/need and I'll call them right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Blub123

antix80 wrote: »

I hope he's OK. *Snip*

For future reference your son should carry a card or wear a chain or bracelet identifying himself as a diabetic. I had a diabetic friend who was stubborn enough to remove his when he was having an episode but for most people they're very useful for medical staff.

This is everything that is wrong with people.
    You should be ashamed.

I was sending her translations of diabetic ketoacidosis and keytones as they are what can cause a diabetic to become very ill, very fast. The medical team thought he had taken heroin as he was being unresponsive.

Keep your unhelpful comments to yourself please.

The hospital seem quite strict about who they will talk to. They will not even talk to the lady from the Irish Embassy.

The embassy lady said she will call again in the morning when things open up and there are other people to deal with.

I am basically trying to find out what is happening so I can decide if I need to get to Paris or not. The next flight I can get is at 6.45am and I need to get to Dublin first. I can get a bus at 1.15am.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Bear in mind that public transport in Paris is severely disrupted at the moment due to strike action. You'll be able to get from the airport to the centre easily enough (though you might have to wait quite a while), but moving about within the city won't be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

The hospital seem quite strict about who they will talk to. They will not even talk to the lady from the Irish Embassy.

The embassy lady said she will call again in the morning when things open up and there are other people to deal with.

I am basically trying to find out what is happening so I can decide if I need to get to Paris or not. The next flight I can get is at 6.45am and I need to get to Dublin first. I can get a bus at 1.15am.

Make sure his GF has the contact details for the embassy.

The lady you’ll have been speaking to is a duty officer but will be a full part of the Embassy team and in tomorrow.

While they might not pass info onto a 3rd party I am sure information passed to them through the embassy will not be ignored.

I hope he makes a full recovery ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

How about you do a little preparing, just in case you do decide to go? I'm not suggesting you do – but best to be a little prepared, should you decide to. It mightn't even come to that, but no harm, just in case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

Passport.
    Clothes on your back.
    Cash and cards.
    Handbag.
    Phone.
    Charger.
    Food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

The hospital will find it easier to get translator set up during working hours as well so it may be a lot easier to talk to them in the morning.

I sent some screenshots of diabetic terms translated into French but she says they still did not seem to know any better.

While this is distressing, diabetes is very recognizable and they'll have discovered this with or without help. They also won't assume that it's the only explanation so the fact that they're continuing to investigate may give the impression that they haven't recognized his condition, but really they're just doing the full standard of clinical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭garyskeepers

I hope he's OK. I also hope his gf is goodlooking because she'll need something going for her to get through life.

quel cochon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I hope he's OK. I also hope his gf is goodlooking because she'll need something going for her to get through life.

What a nasty, mean spirited, unhelpful post. I’m sure you wouldn’t have the same attitude if it was your son that was sick in a foreign hospital.

• Advertisement

I managed to get his phone passed to a nurse who gave it to a doctor. He is in diabetic ketoacidosis and severe dehydration and is being moved to ICU.
    Hopefully now they know what it is it will be more straight forward and they can get him sorted.

At least now I know what it is. I have also talked to him, he sounds terrible but that is to be expected. It is a bit of a relief. I'll be happy when I get him back on Irish soil again.

Thank you to everyone who commented, your advice and offers of help were greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I managed to get his phone passed to a nurse who gave it to a doctor. He is in diabetic ketoacidosis and severe dehydration and is being moved to ICU.
    Hopefully now they know what it is it will be more straight forward and they can get him sorted.

At least now I know what it is. I have also talked to him, he sounds terrible but that is to be expected. It is a bit of a relief. I'll be happy when I get him back on Irish soil again.

Thank you to everyone who commented, your advice and offers of help were greatly appreciated.

French medical care is, generally speaking, state-of-the-art. He'll be alright. Make sure to learn lessons from this so that the same situation never recurs, for your own peace of mind.

Nasty dose. Poor lad must feel properly rotten.
    He'll be on the mend soon enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

French medical care is, generally speaking, state-of-the-art. He'll be alright. Make sure to learn lessons from this so that the same situation never recurs, for your own peace of mind.

Quite likely he'll be better looked after than if this had happened while he was at home. And they won't likely be too p*ssy about whether he's carrying the correct EU health card / health insurance forms either.

He may also get a short, sharp lesson about if he's grown-up enough to go travelling, he's old enough to wear a bracelet. A doctor, especially a foreign one, can probably do this far more effectively than a mammy every can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Wouldn't be rushing him home to Ireland anytime soon considering the state of the health system here. France is known for as a pp said, state of the art health system

Hope he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shedidnt

Are you going to visit him then? ICU is pretty serious. It wouldn't take them long to figure out that he's diabetic if the girlfriend simply said the word 'DIABETIC'.

He may also get a short, sharp lesson about if he's grown-up enough to go travelling, he's old enough to wear a bracelet. A doctor, especially a foreign one, can probably do this far more effectively than a mammy every can.

The majority of diabetics I've encountered don't bother with these at all, and it's quite a judgmental take that you've adopted.

They'll be tested for it anyway as glucose is a core metabolic function in all patients that are unresponsive or have an altered level of consciousness - we can't rely on these bracelets as the condition may yet to be diagnosed so we're going to assume that it's just safer to check.

Likewise with people who carry their blood type on keyrings etc. - utterly pointless as we can't rely on it so will be tested for anyway.

I feel like you're about a hair's breadth away from saying that if he monitored it better, he wouldn't have gone into DKA. Which would be a ridiculous oversimplification just in case it is suggested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is the sort of situation religious connections (of any flavour) might be able to help with. It's worth a try anyway. Contact a church and let them use their network.

I hope he feels better soon.

• Advertisement

I got a message from my son this morning. He had a rough night but is feeling a lot better now.

Thanks again everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement