Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies greatest song of the 90's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

She's no loss.

Although that sentence has quite an eclectic mix. :pac:

I'm not a fan of Mariah Carey's music. I'm just observing the artistes that we would have associated with the 1990s that are missing from this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I just don't get Mariah Carey... like at all!

Whitney, Madonna, Beyoncé, etc not always my cup of tea, but I understand the appeal, and have at least a few whopper tunes in their repetoire. Mariah Carey is just... bleh (to put it nicely), but people seem to adore her because she hits those high notes reasonably well I guess, forgetting that the songs are absolute muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Currently over 150 songs, we will close at 200. Thanks for all the interest so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Kolido wrote: »
    Currently over 150 songs, we will close at 200. Thanks for all the interest so far.

Don't think you'll have any problem getting to 200.

I forgot to throw a list in to the 80s one, I didn't repeat that mistake.

• Advertisement

I better get mine in quick! Now I'm under pressure I'm sure to forget some.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I have wrestled my list down to 24 and it's been heartbreaking. Better get a wriggle on

The 90s were my music era and I have 90s indie and indie-rock in my veins. I'm having to leave out favourites that I just don't think are universally popular, and gamble on a lot being nominated by other people, this is torture

256 is a good number for a tournament, just saying ;)
    Close at 200 and let me enter 56 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I just don't get Mariah Carey... like at all!

Whitney, Madonna, Beyoncé, etc not always my cup of tea, but I understand the appeal, and have at least a few whopper tunes in their repetoire. Mariah Carey is just... bleh (to put it nicely), but people seem to adore her because she hits those high notes reasonably well I guess, forgetting that the songs are absolute muck.

Mariah Carey has the most number one hits in America after The Beatles. I've never really noticed her music other than the Christmas hit she had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Absolutely impossible to limit it to just 10. Not going to submit any of my trance classics as I know none of them will go far (even though they should) - Just going to pick the first 10 that come to my head

The other problem is :: Go for a bands most famous song which is good or for one of their less famous songs which are way better but may not get as many votes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rikand wrote: »
    The other problem is :: Go for a bands most famous song which is good or for one of their less famous songs which are way better but may not get as many votes

Ya i've left out some well known bands where I have several of their albums etc, because the chances are that someone will nominate them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Mariah Carey has the most number one hits in America after The Beatles. I've never really noticed her music other than the Christmas hit she had.

Mariah Carey had a number of hits in the UK including Without You which got to No. 1. Again, I must emphasize I'm not a fan myself! By the way, over the years, Mariah Carey released a number of other Christmas tunes, mainly in the 2010s!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I’ve love Harry Nilssen’s Without You. Mariah’s is a crime against music.

left a few off that i think other people will nom and just picked 10 that may not pick up other noms or few noms :)

Dont let me down everyone else :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

quickbeam wrote: »
    I’ve love Harry Nilssen’s Without You. Mariah’s is a crime against music.

I'd argue that what she did with Tom Tom Club's "Genius of Love" on "Fantasy" was an even greater crime. Truly horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sheridan81 wrote: »

Again, why the f**k? I literally just can't understand the appeal. For the most part, I get why other artists are popular, even if not to my personal taste, but with Mariah Carey it's just what the f**k? She's the Sharon Watts of pop music*...

*only soap people and/or fans of EastEnders will even remotely understand that reference, but the people who know what I mean, really f**king know what I mean... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I think Mariah is sexy and a fine singer so I can see the appeal myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Sh1te! Better get to work i was thinking about it while I was in the car this evening

Update I've written down 30 songs off the top of my head, the 80's was so much easier cos I was a smallie and totally unaware music, but I was there for all the 90's this might drive me mad!

I'm really torn between picking ones I like and ones that'll do well and ye might as well know now I don't really like Blur or Oasis!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Update I've written down 30 songs off the top of my head, the 80's was so much easier cos I was a smallie and totally unaware music, but I was there for all the 90's this might drive me mad!

I'm really torn between picking ones I like and ones that'll do well and ye might as well know now I don't really like Blur or Oasis!

TB when stuck in convo with Blur/Oasis fans

7ZhuGAK24dyX.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

PM ten to Kolido to get them entered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Hey Kolido am I allowed to change one of mine? Can't believe I didn't first think of the one that's been in my head for the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Hey Kolido am I allowed to change one of mine? Can't believe I didn't first think of the one that's been in my head for the past few days.

Yeah no problem. Can make changes until we close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Yeah no problem. Can make changes until we close

Perfect, I'll send you a PM there :)

This was on my longlist but didn't quite make the final cut. Sheryl Crow had some great hits in the Nineties, If It Makes You Happy is another one I really like.

This was on my longlist but didn't quite make the final cut. Sheryl Crow had some great hits in the Nineties, If It Makes You Happy is another one I really like.

if it makes you happy is my fave of hers I think, didn't make the cut for me though!

• Advertisement

Again, why the f**k? I literally just can't understand the appeal. For the most part, I get why other artists are popular, even if not to my personal taste, but with Mariah Carey it's just what the f**k? She's the Sharon Watts of pop music*...

*only soap people and/or fans of EastEnders will even remotely understand that reference, but the people who know what I mean, really f**king know what I mean... :rolleyes:

It took me awhile to get there but I got there.

However, unlike sharon, I'd definitely give Mariah the beef injection

Advertisement