Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any need for 300mb or is 150mb enough

• 09-01-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭

I always like the idea of MOAR speed but i wonder do i really need it.

we have a 4 person family but 2 are under 5 so only 2 users, usual stuff like netflix and prime at 4k but im starting to think 300mb is overkill and if there is a tangible price difference i should downgrade at next renewal....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cyrus wrote: »
    I always like the idea of MOAR speed but i wonder do i really need it.

we have a 4 person family but 2 are under 5 so only 2 users, usual stuff like netflix and prime at 4k but im starting to think 300mb is overkill and if there is a tangible price difference i should downgrade at next renewal....

Save the tenner a month and go for the 150mb more than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've 240 Mb with Virgin. Only time it ever hits max, is when downloading Apple or Microsoft updates. Most sites throttle your download speed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the 300 plans are worth doing if you need the upload of 50, other than that your probably just as well on the 150/30. I've rarely seen the full connection being used as most sites only let you use some of the connection speed. Steam, windows updates and speedtests are about the only places I've gotten full speeds from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm a heavy user for download and do not upload much. 150 is more than enough for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check your WiFi speeds. Depending on how many people are constantly downloading you might not need more than the fastest speed.

There's no point in paying for bandwidth you can't use.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/myvirginmedia/portal/ to see your overall usage. too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

By virtue of renting my accommodation I have to use homeplugs for part of the network, 140Mb max on a 240 package. Plennnnty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm a heavy user for download and do not upload much. 150 is more than enough for me.

Which provider offered you 150? I can only find 75 - 100 and then its 250+.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Naos wrote: »

https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭Nollog

Naos wrote: »

150mbit products are ftth, offered by both Siro and eir. Most providers will offer it if you're in a ftth enabled area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes 150Mbps is the lowest speed for both SIRO and OpenEir FTTH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement