Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

putting cable through wall of timber frame house

• 09-01-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I want to bring a cable through from the exterior to the inteorior of a modern timber frame house with brick exterior.

Due to membranes, watertightness etc, I dont want to just drill a hole without knowing what if there are any additional steps to follow.

Is there a particular process to doing this?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No special tasks other than making sure you're not going to hit any piping or cabling. Through drilling through brick is a bollocks.

Assuming you want to drill inside out you'll probably end up breaking off a chunk of brick on the outside wherever the drill emerges, it probably won't end up a nice clean hole like you'll have on the inside. It's hard to avoid this.

The hole should slope downward slightly from inside to out.

Probably want an SDS drill and you'll obviously need a long drill bit.

Get one of these yokes to cover the hole on the outside:

wallcovers.gif

and one of these yokes to cover the hole on the inside:

xVsZA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Well unless it's an airtight house then it's a whole other job of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I made two with the ryobi one sds drill and these drill bits. One was 1" as far as I recall, which is greater than the max spec of the drill but worked fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001KOTNTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One was from inside in v small attic space, one from outside. If inside then a mask is a good idea because there might be lots of dust. The facade was slightly damaged as mentioned above when doing it from inside but a light was going directly over it anyway.

Was planning to bung up the holes with silicone or similar, but changed my mind because it would be problematic to remove the cable later. The covers pictured in the previous post are a better idea if not installing something directly over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would not do it.
    TF brick façade is ventilated.
    Drilling will perforate the membrane inside the cavity, which can't be fixed.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I would not do it.

What's the alternative? I'm in the same boat as OP and would like to add an external socket. Can the membrane be sealed somehow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I drilled one for an exterior socket, zero problem in 9 years. There was already one drilled to get a tv cable into the sitting room @ 14 years ago also with zero problems.

Forgot I also drilled 2 x4' vents,for the oven and drier with no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would not do it.

I would presume using circular contuit and blobbing a large amount of silicone around the circumference and pulling it through till it hits the membrane would seal it out. The brick can have a slightly larger hole to see the seal. Once dry then same with the brick.

These things aren't insurmountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

awec wrote: »

and one of these yokes to cover the hole on the inside:

xVsZA.jpg

what are those yokes called?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shaunoc wrote: »
    what are those yokes called?

Wall wiring grommets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

My holes were actually in the wall of a block-built garage with pebbledash on it, not a timber framed house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement