Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long with the Royal Family last?

Options
  • 09-01-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Its 2020. Surely the time of Queens,Princes,Princesses,Dukes etc is up.

Maybe when the Queen dies it will fizzle out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Doubt it.
    Quite a little haul of jewels, palaces, paintings, there.
    Anybody would be glad to inherit them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Its 2020. Surely the time of Queens,Princes,Princesses,Dukes etc is up.

Maybe when the Queen dies it will fizzle out

Only person who ever deserved the title ROYAL in my opinion was diana

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

No chance. Its bring in too many tourists. There will be a royal family if they like it or not!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm sure they'll just invite another Germanic noble over to take the throne if they have to. This nonsense has persisted for over a millennium.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Doubt it.
    Quite a little haul of jewels, palaces, paintings, there.
    Anybody would be glad to inherit them!

How can the UK justify this when there are hundreds at food banks just a stones throw from the Palace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

jimmii wrote: »
    No chance. Its bring in too many tourists. There will be a royal family if they like it or not!

They could open Buckingham Palace for tourists. It would bring in a lot more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They could open Buckingham Palace for tourists. It would bring in a lot more.

Seconded. I want to see the Corgis.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The current one, not very long, perhaps similar for the current prince of wales, due to age
    But then the one after charles will last a while.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jimmii wrote: »

France and Austria do pretty well with just the buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Royal family probably brings in as much cash to the county as it costs to have them in place...

The Queen, herself is one of Britain's hardest working people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

How can the UK justify this when there are hundreds at food banks just a stones throw from the Palace

If it went to a vote, I reckon the people of the UK would vote in favour of keeping their royal family.

I think they're a waste of money too but they see it as part of their national identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

walshb wrote: »
    The Royal family probably brings in as much cash to the county as it costs to have them in place...

The Queen, herself is one of Britain's hardest working people.

Yup. Up before dawn, on with the overalls and down the mines til dusk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Pretty sure the people would opt to keep a monarchy. And tbh, why not? Parliamentary democracies need some farce, figure-head position.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Genuine question: How do the Royal family (the actual people) bring in tourists?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Genuine question: How do the Royal family (the actual people) bring in tourists?

There are always throngs of people around The Mile and Buckingham Palace. It's one of those things that people just associate with Britain. Part of its soft power and brand if you will. Like Doctor Who, red phoneboxes, black cabs and so on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There are always throngs of people around The Mile and Buckingham Palace. It's one of those things that people just associate with Britain. Part of its soft power and brand if you will. Like Doctor Who, red phoneboxes, black cabs and so on.

Getting rid of the Royal Family won't mean the Mile and Buckingham Palace disappear though...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

It'll survive in a more minimal form.

So is Versailles to France. There are no privileged parasites living there anymore, though. By all means have a monarch for Head of State, but why all the rest of the leeches?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Getting rid of the Royal Family won't mean the Mile and Buckingham Palace disappear though...

I don't recall claiming otherwise.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    So is Versailles to France. There are no privileged parasites living there anymore, though. By all means have a monarch for Head of State, but why all the rest of the leeches?

I don't recall advocating for a monarchy.

I don't recall advocating for a monarchy.

I don't recall saying you did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The assumption was that you were replying to GLaDOS's question...
    GLaDOS wrote:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah that's kinda the point of my question above, tourists will still visit these places with or without a Royal family I would imagine.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

An active royal family is far more popular than empty buildings. The royal family are hugely popular in the U.K. Just look at the papers today.

Can you imagine someone suggesting we scrap the role of the Irish president for similar reasons.

faceman wrote: »
    An active royal family is far more popular than empty buildings. The royal family are hugely popular in the U.K. Just look at the papers today.

Can you imagine someone suggesting we scrap the role of the Irish president for similar reasons.

The role of President does not confer unearned, lifelong privilege on extended members of the President's family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Yeah that's kinda the point of my question above, tourists will still visit these places with or without a Royal family I would imagine.

Maybe or maybe less people will bother.

The changing of the Queens guard takes place every day and is in itself a big tourist attraction.

If there was no Queen there would need for this.

Of course they could continue with it anyway just for the tourists.

People love scandal about the royals, and all helps attract people to the country.

They also visit the commonwealth countries which promotes the UK as a place to visit and do business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The whole royals bring in tourism is a bit fuzzy to me. Are they doing surveys of tourists at Heathrow arrivals asking confused Chinese people are they here for Charles and Camilla or William and Kate?

I've never whipped out my credit card to book a flight somewhere because of a royal family in all my life.

I thoroughly enjoyed a long weekend in Stockholm last year but I don't think anyone on the flight gave a rattlers about their royal family. Monarchists there probably have the same arguement - "look at all the tourists here for our Queen / King!"

If there was evidence having royalty seriously drove tourism, Bord Fáilte would be conducting a nationwide search at this very moment to crown somebody.

The monarchy was archaic a century ago, long overdue for the scrapheap. All in favour of a meritocracy over birthright, ergo pull up your bootstraps and earn it.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The role of President does not confer unearned, lifelong privilege on extended members of the President's family.

No. the people have to go through the farce of an election to decide which pointless head of state they want to do the job, before retiring on a large pension for the rest of their lives.

as has been said a million times, if you were starting from scratch, which Ireland effectively did, then you wouldn't consider a monarchy, but why go through the hassle of making the change for little or no benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

How long would they last in a Royal Rumble is the real question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

My lad is the same age as Prince George. My lad will be retired after a lifetime of work before Prince George will take up the job he was born to do - become King.

Advertisement