Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long with the Royal Family last?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Queen is head of state of many countries including Canada and Australia. The royal family are much more loved than disliked.
    Personally I am a Royalist and think they play a very important role in Britain and the commonwealth. Overwhelming consensus would be to keep the Royal family. Many of them are hard working and do lots of charitable work.
    There is a fascinating book called 1000 years of the court of St. James which chronicalls the last thousand years of the British monarchy.

Maybe with the much older generations. Not so much with the 'yoof'.
    Down in the land of Oz, they came fairly close back in '99 to becoming a Republic which gained a very significant 45.13%.

If the Aussies were to take a poll this year after the Air-Miles-Andy's Epstien scandal, and this week's news
    ...well they could well be designed a new republican flag for themselves. NZ could easily follow suit.

Pommies* aren't generally well received there, an Irish or Scottish accent will get you laid a whole lot faster with the local Sheilas.
    *Prisoner of Mother England, but more likely pomegranate (rhyming alteration) of immigrant (recent).

Canada is a bit more receptive (BC/O), although they also like the French over there also (Q), Scots (NS) and Irish (NF/O).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exaggeration! I am English and am totally ambivalent. No feelings either way. I was a war baby and thus Charles and Anne were our peers. We saw them grow up etc. Just we were used to them and now I have no feelings either way.

When there was a royal visit within reach we would all be trooped there with little flags to wave.

Now the Americans and some Canadians love them!.

And the amount of money they earn for the country in tourism. is colossal. And the historical pageantry is glorious

They aren't going anywhere..

Irish people seem to love knocking the royal family and going on about them being a waste of taxpayers money and antiquated. The thing is though English people absolutely love them, and want to keep them, so I say leave them to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

strandroad wrote: »
    That's gas. Those people, who are they, visiting Brits? What ages?

Brits (vast vast vast majority English guessing by accent), Canadians, Aussies and Kiwis, Americans and Koreans/Japanese/that neck of the woods, in descending order. All ages, veering a bit older with the commonwealth folks but plenty young people too. So excited about that plaque. I've seen people tear up. There are actually two plaques now but people seem to give far less of a sh1t about Charles and Camilla. It's very deeply strange. I work about five foot away from them so I see it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I'm sure they'll just invite another Germanic noble over to take the throne if they have to. This nonsense has persisted for over a millennium.

I'm not particularly exercised by the royal family but I've always been of the mind that if the British people find it valuable why not?

One could make the same argument against a ceremonial president like in Ireland. I've always thought that executive presidencies like in France or America made much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

For as long as they keep having babies which brings in tourism.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That was always the point of monarchy I thought, keeping Easjet flights to Luton full with people who like to look at a big house owned by inbred Germans.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

They Royal family is paid for out of the crown estates which is managed by the government . It's neither government nor crown property.
    The crown agreed to this in exchange for not being asked to fund it's government back in 1760
    It signed over a proportion of it's property as part of the deal.

Advertisement