Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Watch Recommendation

Options
  • 09-01-2020 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Any garmin recommendations for cyling/strava? Hoping to not break the bank...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

rcklap wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Any garmin recommendations for cyling/strava? Hoping to not break the bank...

Do you want a watch or a bike computer OP?

I have a Garmin Fenix 3 that I picked up in the states about 3 years ago for about €200 and an Edge 520 I got for €180 on Cycle Super Store about a year and a half ago.

I had an older Edge that worked fine but lacked bluetooth which meant it was a pain to upload rides to strava. I bought the Fenix to complement this, tracking my rides on both but just uploading from the watch. When I saw the offer for the Edge 520 with bluetooth on cycle super store I jumped on it as it was bundled with an upfront mount which I was planning to get anyway.

Here are my thoughts on Pros and Cons for the Fenix:
    Pros:
    -Battery: With the right settings I can 6/7 days plus from it. Screen is also always on which is great but has its downsides.
    -Configuration: You can basically set this watch up anyway you need it. Quick access to the data that you need.
    -Personalisation: Lots of watch faces etc available on the Gamin connect app to download.
    -Features: There are so many ways to track activities and so many activities that can be track. I'd say I am using <20% of its capability. If you do multi-sports this the watch to go for. I have tracked cycling, swimming, running, spinning, hiking and even golf. There are many more on the watch like various skiing, SUP, climbing, trail run and triathlon. Others can be downloaded easily from the Connect app.

Cons:
    -Using the "Smart" watch features like text, call alerts etc. really drains the battery and reduces the week plus battery life to about 2/3 days. The alerts are also distracting as the vibration is quite strong. You certainly won't miss an alert.
    -Heart rate Monitor: This can be hit and miss. Fine if you are just sitting or maybe walking. Anything more vigorous and I use a separate chest strap. This could just be down to me as I don't like my watch too tight.
    -Screen: The screen is always on which I like however, don't expect the bright colour vibrancy of an apple or samsung smart watch. In bright sunlight the screen is at its best. In dull conditions it can be hard to read depending on how you have it set-up.

Edge 520
    Pros:
    -Data: More data tracked than most will ever use and it is very configurable.
    -Screen: Bright and clear on the bike. Very easy to read
    -Battery: I get about 10/12 hours tracking from a full charge
    -Live Tracker: This is one of my favorite features. It sends an email to selected people when you start a ride. Very useful especially if you are out alone. It will even send a text alert to someone should it detect a collision. This text will give them your GPS co-ordinates and is a great piece of mind.

Cons:
    -Bluetooth:Works perfect 8/10 times but can be a bit glitchy when trying to download ride

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you're not bothered about recording Power, then I have a 245 for all other metrics for when I don't have my Bolt. Significantly cheaper than the "multisport" options, but is a compromise on the bike stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Thanks for the detailed replies folks, 100% set on a watch, I have an old 510 for the bike but need something multi-sport.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. I use it to track runs, weight training, and a little bit of swimming. It also tracked my cycles until I got an edge 520+ for Christmas.

I have all the "smart" features turned off, as I don't really need my watch to buzz every time I get a text or email.

I have Garmin pay set up with my Revolut card, but I think it might be a struggle to use other Irish cards at the moment.

I find it excellent, and use it as my everyday wear watch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I use a Polar M200. It won't win any beauty prizes but it has standalone gps for times when I can't be arsed to bring my bulky phone, especially on runs. It's a very simple thing though so if you want something fancy this isn't it. Does all the usual stuff, multisport, HR, GPS, syncs to strava etc. Only downside is there can be a bit of a wait at times to get GPS sync especially if you've not used it for a couple of days.

Missus got a Forerunner 45s for xmas. If you've small wrists or are a laaaaaady the S is brilliant. Same as the normal 45 but all the bulk chopped out. I'll probably get one when my M200 dies. It's a nicer looking watch, could wear it daily, connects to GPS instantly and is standalone GPS and it's not crazy expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

My budget setup is a 735XT, HR strap, cadence sensor, and a handlebar mount for the watch. Total cost was £200 from Amazon during one of the sales last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

I got a Garmin Vivoactive HR recently on FB marketplace for €60, brought it on a few test runs so far and it’s way more accurate than the Apple Watch I was using before for GPS and HR so that’s a winner. UI is the same as your 510 (I have one of those too!). Battery life isn’t amazing compared to newer models, but 12hrs on GPS is fine by me! Only flaw is the screen is a little dark even at max brightness.

I believe it can also relay the data from the watch to the head unit and vice versa with ANT. Will give that a spin when I’m next out on the bike!

If I had to pick a sports watch for everyday use, I’d probably get a Forerunner 45 or S. Have seen them through work and it’s a really nice watch without breaking the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

rcklap wrote:
    Thanks for the detailed replies folks, 100% set on a watch, I have an old 510 for the bike but need something multi-sport.

Fenix 3 is super, and getting cheaper all the time. I wouldn't bother with an optical HR, chest strap is better on that model.
    Good battery time, unbelievable amount of bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

On a slightly related note, anyone know anywhere in Dublin or nearby that would look at repairing Garmin watches? My vivoactive HR got water damaged on holiday, managed to dry it out and get it functioning somewhat again, however the battery life is now a lot worse and the touchscreen does not work on the bottom third of the watch.

Want to get someone to have a look and see if its repairable at all, as I like the watch and its handy for both for cycling/running, as well as general day use.
    Its supposedly waterproof to 15m, however, i never normally wear it in water, was an accident this time and the thing goes kaput. Out of warranty as well...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've the Vivoactive 3. Just works. No complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

retalivity wrote: »
    On a slightly related note, anyone know anywhere in Dublin or nearby that would look at repairing Garmin watches? My vivoactive HR got water damaged on holiday, managed to dry it out and get it functioning somewhat again, however the battery life is now a lot worse and the touchscreen does not work on the bottom third of the watch.

Want to get someone to have a look and see if its repairable at all, as I like the watch and its handy for both for cycling/running, as well as general day use.
    Its supposedly waterproof to 15m, however, i never normally wear it in water, was an accident this time and the thing goes kaput. Out of warranty as well...

Of no real benefit to you, but to anyone else heading on holidays, even though the Vivoactive is rated water proof to 15m, they are quite clear that it shouldn't be used for swimming in the sea (at least this is the case with the Vivoactive 3, presume the same for older models)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

yeah, i accidentally hopped into the sea....20 seconds of splashing and having it just under the water level and it was done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Deano12345 wrote: »
    I got a Garmin Vivoactive HR recently on FB marketplace for €60, brought it on a few test runs so far and it’s way more accurate than the Apple Watch I was using before for GPS and HR so that’s a winner. UI is the same as your 510 (I have one of those too!). Battery life isn’t amazing compared to newer models, but 12hrs on GPS is fine by me! Only flaw is the screen is a little dark even at max brightness.

I believe it can also relay the data from the watch to the head unit and vice versa with ANT. Will give that a spin when I’m next out on the bike!

If I had to pick a sports watch for everyday use, I’d probably get a Forerunner 45 or S. Have seen them through work and it’s a really nice watch without breaking the bank!

Does the Forerunner 45 work with Spotify and AirPods? That you won’t have to bring your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Managed to pick up a fenix 3 saphire cheap. love it so far

Advertisement