Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Substation / Side Wall

Options
  • 09-01-2020 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi

Just looking for some advice.

Recently moved in to a new build house and am the first on the road, so have a long side wall. Trouble is kids and young teenagers have taken to climbing onto and walking the length of same wall to mount the sub-station, sometimes sitting there for 30 minutes making a bit of a nuisance of themselves. It's not terrible, but I can see it becoming a pain during summer months.

3 questions -

Do the ESB or Local County Council own the path adjacent to my house leading to the substation? The council have taken control of the green areas and roads, but I'm not sure of this dedicated sub-station path.

Do I own the side wall in it's entirety as part of my boundary?

Would anyone recommend putting anti-intruder paint on same wall to prevent this? Was hoping the ESB/Council might erect a sign to state that for safety reasons with the sub-station, they've had to apply anti-intruder paint.
    I don't want to just appear some day painting the wall as that will most likely cause further problems!

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Nobody can tell you whether you own the wall or not. You need to check the deeds to your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lyncher101

Thanks BrokenArrows. I'm awaiting a reply from my solicitor on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'd tell ESB networks the problem. If they don't do anything, you can take your own measures. I'd ask on twitter, companies like that don't like bad publicity so it might work better than a phone call that can be ignored.

Cement some broken glass into the wall.
    It'll stop them and make the place look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

I would not definitely NOT install glass embedded in cement on top of a wall.
    If anybody was injured they would probably sue and very very likely to be successful. See Occupiers Liability Act.

Possible suggestions - inform ESB (fencing, signage) , grow a thorny hedge on your side , some of it may spill over, investigate the Mosquito alarm- small machine used to deter loitering by young people. Emits a sound at high frequency that only your people can hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Cement some broken glass into the wall.
    It'll stop them and make the place look good.
    I take it this is a joke, but dont do this.

I'd prefer a softer option like planting gorse or similar plant which will look nice, offer privacy, attract bees, and is rugged and thick enough with strong thorns to deter kids.

A quicker fix would be to use anti-climb grease - it's a dirty solution coating the top of the wall with grease but will also deter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lyncher101 wrote: »
    Hi

Just looking for some advice.

Recently moved in to a new build house and am the first on the road, so have a long side wall. Trouble is kids and young teenagers have taken to climbing onto and walking the length of same wall to mount the sub-station, sometimes sitting there for 30 minutes making a bit of a nuisance of themselves. It's not terrible, but I can see it becoming a pain during summer months.

3 questions -

Do the ESB or Local County Council own the path adjacent to my house leading to the substation? The council have taken control of the green areas and roads, but I'm not sure of this dedicated sub-station path.

Do I own the side wall in it's entirety as part of my boundary?

Would anyone recommend putting anti-intruder paint on same wall to prevent this? Was hoping the ESB/Council might erect a sign to state that for safety reasons with the sub-station, they've had to apply anti-intruder paint.
    I don't want to just appear some day painting the wall as that will most likely cause further problems!

Thanks for any advice

what's anti-intruder paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lawred2 wrote: »
    what's anti-intruder paint?

It's a paint that never goes off so anyone making contact with it will be covered in paint. A friend used to work in the IFIC and they used it on a few walls, all the other walls were covered in handprints off anti climb paint.

OP you need to contact ESB, not by social media!, and inform them that people are climbing onto their substation, it'll have a number somewhere. ESB will then secure the substation.

The only option for you is to put something like a trellis or other objects on top of the wall that makes climbing on it awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Get a pint of diesel from the petrol station. Then when it's dark take a sponge and the diesel and sponge it liberally where they sit. It will destroy their clothes and they'll get a smack from the mammy as well. Do it away from your place so it's not obvious. It works . . . . . . . . . . trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get a pint of diesel from the petrol station. Then when it's dark take a sponge and the diesel and sponge it liberally where they sit. It will destroy their clothes and they'll get a smack from the mammy as well. Do it away from your place so it's not obvious. It works . . . . . . . . . . trust me ;)

Putting diesel on a roof that is likely asphalt or some similar material is not a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement