Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for front door steps

• 09-01-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

We have a new build for which we are correctly planning the completion of the exterior path and drive.

The front will have a door step (2 steps, I think) and I'm looking for some design ideas on what these could look like. I don't want any overhang on the steps as it is not a look I like and I have a concern of less well mobile people catching their toes on it and tripping.

I like the style of this, but I'm not a fan of the narrow paving block border:

steps-27.jpg

Any suggestions?

Also, for the back door, it is a yard of approx 30ft x 30ft with the door at one of the corners - this will be the wheelchair accessible entry and as such the plan was to ramp the yard up to the required platform outside the door. However, I was actually thinking of having some type of delineation between the platform/path and the remainder of the yard.
    In terms of surface I was thinking of tarmac, asphalt or exposed concrete.

All hints and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the disabled access door is supposed to be the main door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the disabled access door is supposed to be the main door.

It is the most used door, but it is at the rear of the property with a large yard and driveway access.

It is the most used door, but it is at the rear of the property with a large yard and driveway access.

thats all fine and well, but how would someone who comes in a wheelchair know that? how do they get to the doorbell of the main door to ring it, in order for you to tell them to go around the back?

the regs are straight forward

Section 3.2
    Access to dwellings

3.2.1 Objective
    The objective is to provide a main
    entrance to a dwelling that is
    accessible to visitors.

3.2.2 Accessible entrance
    The main entrance is the entrance, which
    a visitor not familiar with the dwelling
    would normally expect to approach.

Where it is not practicable for the main
    entrance to a dwelling to be accessible,
    an alternative entrance should be
    accessible. The alternative accessible
    entrance should be approached via an
    access route, conforming to Section 3.1,
    and be within the public realm of the
    dwelling plot e.g. the external area
    accessible to a visitor, unfamiliar with the
    dwelling. The accessible entrance should
    be suitable for use by wheelchair users.

I'm in the north and it has been approved already.

I'm in the north and it has been approved already.

ah well thats a different story altogether :P

• Advertisement

Also related to this subject I was reading another thread and noticed there were pebble border around the property.

The reason quoted was:
    Pebbles are done in the immediate vicinity of the dwelling for gas release and drainage and to stop the water level raising above the DPC.

See here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038013

Photos:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111721681&postcount=243

I got no real detailed replies as to the reasoning - is this in your regs?

Also related to this subject I was reading another thread and noticed there were pebble border around the property.

The reason quoted was:

See here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038013

Photos:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111721681&postcount=243

I got no real detailed replies as to the reasoning - is this in your regs?

not a requirement here, but radon membranes and radon sumps are, which protects the dwelling from radon gas.

on the DPC level, if youve water levels rising to your DPC, pebbles arent gonna help you on bit !! its sand bags your looking for :D

Advertisement