Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultegra mechanical to SRAM red mechanical conversion

Options
  • 09-01-2020 5:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

Noob mechanical question. I want to spruce up my 2011 felt f4 including a respray and full new groupset.

1. Are the rim brake mounts in the fork and rear brake bridge a generic standard across SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo?

2. Once you buy a crankset with the same BB standard are groupsets interchangeable?

3. Presumably the brazed on front derailleur mount will take any front derailleur?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Your mechanical Felt doesnt care which groupset you put on it. Just have the correct BB and you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

1. Are the rim brake mounts in the fork and rear brake bridge a generic standard across SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo?

There are dual pivot and direct mount caliper brakes. Dual pivot is the norm and has one mounting point holding the brake to the frame/fork, and direct mount has 2 mount points (and is usually on more aero bikes). The two aren't interchangeable.
    I've only ever changed like-for-like cranks and BBs so can't help with that one and would be a total guess on your front mech question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Hi guys and girls,

Noob mechanical question. I want to spruce up my 2011 felt f4 including a respray and full new groupset.

2. Once you buy a crankset with the same BB standard are groupsets interchangeable?

3. Presumably the brazed on front derailleur mount will take any front derailleur?

1. Yes, as long as you buy direct mount/dual pivot brakes for the frame as appropriate then all brands fit all frames.

2. Not clear what you're asking.

3. Braze on mounts will take all braze on FD, but won't take a band-on FD.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

My ultegra was 10 speed , but I'm assuming I can put 11 speed on , once i use compatible shifters etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

1. Yes, all Shimano sram and Campagnolo dual
    Pivot brakes use the same mounting hole.

2. You can fit any groupset you want on the bike but parts are not interchangeable between Shimano sram and campy.

3. Yes it’ll take any braze on FD.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Sound lads.

I was 90 % sure but you always hear some fella saying you need x spacer here or a special adapter there.

Before I go down the ebay rabbit hole and start buying stuff i wanted to make sure.

SRAM red mechanical is aesthetically pleasing I must say.

I have a Cannondale Synapse Hi mod disc ETAP and im planning on pimpin out the felt as a good second bike / climbing bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

My ultegra was 10 speed , but I'm assuming I can put 11 speed on , once i use compatible shifters etc....

The chainset is a dumb part. Once you use 11s shifters and derailleurs then you can mix & match 10/11 chainsets. I'm running a Campag 10 chainset on an otherwise 11s system flawlessly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

2. You can fit any groupset you want on the bike but parts are not interchangeable between Shimano sram and campy.
    not true in toto, surely? i thought shimano and sram cassettes were interchangeable (assuming you're not mixing 10 and 11 speed, obviously)?
    and that any brake calipers would work with any brake levers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

not true in toto, surely? i thought shimano and sram cassettes were interchangeable (assuming you're not mixing 10 and 11 speed, obviously)?
    and that any brake calipers would work with any brake levers?

Yes of course there are the exceptions but for ease of fitting then its simpler to keep groupsets in their own like/like groups.

11spd cassettes are interchangeable across all 3 groupsets and sram/shimano brakes are interchangeable as they use the same pull ratios. With enough bodging you can make campagnolo derailleurs work with shimano or sram shifters but not everyone is going to want to go to that trouble when you can just as easily buy the parts that work without having to resort to bodging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement