Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown thomas, issue with refund

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Teach30 wrote:
    Never heard of it before. I’ve looked it up. What aspect of it should I make myself aware of?

You can return goods for full refund even if you just change your mind. In fact the whole idea of the distance selling legislation is that you can open & inspect the goods b deciding if you want to keep them.

Agree poster came off a little aggressive

j4vier wrote:
    The goods were returned in the same state as they were picked up

That's fair enough. Thanks for the information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Teach30 wrote: »
    Never heard of it before. I’ve looked it up. What aspect of it should I make myself aware of?

The cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only in the original packing and original labels. I'm guessing that goods weren't returned in original postage packing

They don't need to be. I returned items plenty of times in different postage packaging and got refunded. Postage packaging is completely irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure the fact that relative didn't have the card used for payment was the reason but then they should be advised they have to come back with the card used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Dav010 wrote: »
    But you had the rules, they are in the terms and conditions you agreed to online when buying the item. Why are you blaming the shop?

Online returns are refunded back onto the account used to purchase them, this protects against fraud. Did your relative have your credit card?

I've returned online purchases to a shop for refund. The card used to make the purchase was not required.

The terms and conditions allowed returns to be made to the shop. This is quite common. They scanned the returns label and all was fine.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote:
    Whether they can process the refund onto your card without you actually having the card, I don't know about that. I'm sure if you went in and requested to speak with a manager you'd get a refund back on the card you paid with.

I've a small online store. PayPal process all of the payments so I don't have clients card details at all. For refund I click on the refund but on PayPal. PayPal obviously keep card details for a period of time. I assume all companies that processed payment hold the card details for a period of time in case of refund. In short, as the physical card wasn't present at the point of sale I'm guessing that it isn't needed to refund the money. Its different in store. Pay with a credit card & you need to show the same card to get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This looks like a simple error.

Staff member in the store probably hadn't dealt with an online return and as the item was collected in store they possibly thought it was a store purchase.

The website does not make it clear how to do an in store return - my guess is that it needs to be dropped off with return label attached, but that is just a guess.

Refund would have to be to the card the payment was made from and possibly has to follow a procedure.

They should give clear information on their returns page to avoid such a situation.

But I think it's a genuine error rather than a policy

meeeeh wrote:
    They don't need to be. I returned items plenty of times in different postage packaging and got refunded. Postage packaging is completely irrelevant.

I don't require it either but the T&Cs you posted stating that original packing is required. I thought perhaps this was being used as a get out of jail for free card. I'm only guessing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't require it either but the T&Cs you posted stating that original packing is required. I thought perhaps this was being used as a get out of jail for free card. I'm only guessing here.

I doubt it. I don't think shop assistant has any particular incentive to make life hard for customers. I would think that the problem was that original card was not presented. I know that Zara issues refund on the spot if returning to store and they take the card payment was made with, put it into the machine and authorise the refund. I never returned to the store anything I paid with PayPal so I don't know what the procedure is there.

I've a small online store. PayPal process all of the payments so I don't have clients card details at all. For refund I click on the refund but on PayPal. PayPal obviously keep card details for a period of time. I assume all companies that processed payment hold the card details for a period of time in case of refund. In short, as the physical card wasn't present at the point of sale I'm guessing that it isn't needed to refund the money. Its different in store. Pay with a credit card & you need to show the same card to get a refund

Nope, most online stores use a gateway such as realex. Similar to PayPal, you don't see any card details except type of card and country of issue. For refund, you simply click "refund" and the refund goes to the card automatically.

So doing it in store can pose a difficulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

An apology over the phone was the outcome of today, with the issue caused by miscommunication. I wasn't expecting much else so I appreciate they rang at least.

j4vier wrote: »
    An apology over the phone was the outcome of today, with the issue caused by miscommunication. I wasn't expecting much else so I appreciate they rang at least.

Was the problem that you didn't produce the card?

Was the problem that you didn't produce the card?

She did say that it was not possible to refund me without my card used. But she also said that even with the card they shouldn't have refunded me. The only option was to ship them back

j4vier wrote:
    She did say that it was not possible to refund me without my card used. But she also said that even with the card they shouldn't have refunded me. The only option was to ship them back

I wasn't there but it looks like you didn't meet the requirements for an over the counter refund. Chalk it up to a learning experience. Pay closer attention to the t&cs in future

I wasn't there but it looks like you didn't meet the requirements for an over the counter refund. Chalk it up to a learning experience. Pay closer attention to the t&cs in future

My mistake was sending on someone to do it on my behalf and making assumptions. I was aware of the t&cs so if they had told me that i only had one option, i would have left the shop for the post office to get it done that way. Instead my relative didn't know the t&cs and believed the cs agent version.

A lesson learned anyhow.

j4vier wrote:
    A lesson learned anyhow.

We all learn as we move on. Thanks for sharing, it will make others aware of the possibilities,

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

It's stores policy. Infact that they give you option to return for gift card is allready enought. Nobody has to provide you with refund.
    And many many stores follow suit....

mea_k wrote: »
    It's stores policy. Infact that they give you option to return for gift card is allready enought. Nobody has to provide you with refund.

Maybe read the original post before giving incorrect information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

mea_k wrote: »

Here we go again...

Advertisement